Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,759 members, 7,813,512 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe (6070 Views)

Thought Provoking Analysis On Non Traditional Religion / Atheist, Why Embracing Buddhism And Not African Philosophy And Spirituality? / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
I have many Pagan friends from ZImbabwe and it is evident that traditionalism and anti-christianity views are on high-rise in these parts of the world.

let me give you an outline of Religious practices in ZImbabwe:

In Shona and Ndebele religion, Supreme Being/Supreme Creator Force/Supreme God, is seen as the creator and sustainer of the universe. Shona Mwari (literally “He who is”), or Ndebele uMlimu, is believed to be active in the everyday lives of people. Apart form Mwari, there are the other lesser Gods who govern different aspects of the Universe. In general, people communicate with Mwari through the vadzimu (Shona), or amadhlozi (Ndebele). These are the deceased ancestors. The vadzimu are believed to constitute an invisible community within the community of the living, always around their descendants, caring for them and participating in their joys and sorrows. Spirit mediums communicate with the vadzimu on behalf of the people. In Shona religion, in addition to the guarding characteristics of the vadzimu, there are also avenging or evil spirits, ngozi, and witches who communicate with them.

In Karanga indigenous religion in Zimbabwe: health and well-being, Prof. Tabona Shoko analyses the traditional Karanga views of the causes of illness and disease, mechanisms of diagnosis at their disposal and the methods they use to restore health, Shoko discusses the views of a specific African Independent Church of the Apostolic tradition. The book finds that the centrality of health and well-being is not only confined to traditional religion but reflects its adaptive potential in new religious systems manifest in the phenomenon of Independent Churches.

[size=16pt]Zimbabwe’s Education Ministry recommended the teaching of African Traditional Religion in schools in recognition of its multi-religious society[/size]. One study (abstract) revealed that the teaching of this subject faces challenges in primary schools.

N’angas and Traditional Medicine

Traditional medicine is the source of primary care for many Zimbabweans. N’angas (traditional healers)are consulted for their political and religious powers along with their healing powers.The Zimbabwe National Traditional Healers Association (ZINATHA) is officially recognized by the government and has a constitution along with departments of education and research. Each of the approximately 55,000 members pays annual dues. ZINATHA officials estimated that 80 percent of the population consult traditional healers during the year.

Herbal remedies are used. Most n’angas say they are possessed by a healing spirit which they invoke while treating the patient. Research was done on 30 n’angas from 7 suburbs of Harare that were interviewed personally at their place of practice in 1987. More stories.

A 2006 amendment to the colonial Witchcraft Suppression Act (WSA) criminalized witchcraft practices only if intended to cause harm. Under this new framework, spoken words alone would no longer be considered a witchcraft practice or evidence of illegal activity. ZINATHA welcomed the amendment for differentiating negative witchcraft from traditional beliefs and enabling traditional healers to operate more openly, without fear of either witch hunters or prosecution. ZINATHA also stated that the amendment would facilitate the prosecution of unlicensed traditional healers.

Ngomakurira Mountain in the Chinamhora Communal Land.

Examples of African traditional religion or philosophy in Zimbabwe include:

Mwali Religion

The Mwali hilltop cult and shrines is discussed in the 2008 book Mambo Hills: Historical and Religious Significance by Marieke Clarke (reviews). Mambo Hills is northeast of Bulawayo. — Njelele Shrine, 35km south of Bulawayo in the Matobo Hills, is the most famous place of pilgrimage and rain dances for the traditional Mwali spirit. Every year towards the beginning of the rainy season, Chief Hobodo, as the custodian of Kalanga religion and customs, sends a delegation of amawosana (people with rain-making spirits) to the Njelele Shrine to go and ask for some rains from Mwali (a spirit speaking from a rock in Njelele) on behalf of the community.

Marumbi Rain cult

Recent studies of the rain cult include:

“The Marumbi Rain cult: Gender and the interface between rainmaking and the politics of water in Gutu” by Joseph Mujere of the U. of Zimbabwe .

“Women and Ecology in Shona Religion” by Isabel Mukonyora of the Univ. of Zimbabwe

Unhu

Unhu (equivalent to Zulu “Ubuntu”) is a humanist philosophy often summarized as “I am what I am because of who we all are.” There is an Unhu facebook page.

Religion of the San

The religion of the San people, or Bushmen, of southern Africa consists of a spirit world and our material world. To enter the spirit world, trancing has to be initiated by a shaman through the hunting of Power animal. In Zimbabwe, San religious concepts are similar to those of South Africa, however the eland is replaced by the elephant and other animals. The San religious art of Zimbabwe and South Africa can be linked strongly to neuropsychological findings in trance.

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by pastormustwac: 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2012
lmao, who be that one wey wear pata? Hope say no be your friend sha?
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by ijawkid(m): 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2012
pastormustwac: lmao, who be that one wey wear pata? Hope say no be your friend sha?
cool
pastormustwac: lmao, who be that one wey wear pata? Hope say no be your friend sha?
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by pastormustwac: 7:59pm On Nov 02, 2012
^^^why you dey "double-quote" me now?
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:43pm On Nov 03, 2012

what does it matter if he is my friend or not? do you have anything sensible to contribute to this topic

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by pastormustwacc: 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

what does it matter if he is my friend or not? do you have anything sensible to contribute to this topic
You have answered my question, thank you. Contributions? How will these traditional religion fit into the real world where people are dressed in 3 piece suits instead of pata?
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:01pm On Nov 03, 2012
pastormustwacc:
You have answered my question, thank you. Contributions? How will these traditional religion fit into the real world where people are dressed in 3 piece suits instead of pata?

They are San people and they reject modern lifestyle because they are content with their freedom and uncomplicated life amidst nature.
also they live in the bush and will live there foreve years to come. they wont interfere in your modern world and you dont need to interfere in theirs.

also you dont need to imitate them. that is a different lifestyle and you wont understand it. everything does not have to be as you live.

anyways dont bring the argument of development here, because Paganism doesnt hinder development but encourages it as was exemplied in Anicent Greece, Rome, Egypt, India, China, etc.

and let us not forget that todays Pagan background Nations of India, China, Japan and other Eastern NAtions are on the path to becoming developed nations. angry
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by pastormustwacc: 6:09pm On Nov 03, 2012
I will now go on recess.
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:12pm On Nov 03, 2012
ok i will wait for you.
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:16pm On Nov 03, 2012

btw wasnt your little friend here wearing pata :

Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by pastormustwacc: 6:51pm On Nov 03, 2012
Walahi, that is not my friend.
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
^you change your views like a woman changes her clothes.
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by pastormustwacc: 10:37pm On Nov 03, 2012
^you do not even know my views to start with. You are obviously mixing me with those that serve the dead Jesus on the cross (RCC folks), that pirated image of someone on a stake is not my own god. In fact those that serve and bow to that Jesus on the cross are just pagans as far as i am concerned.

The Jesus i serve is living and not dead, and has ascended to heaven to sit on the right hand of the father, and is coming again in glory to judge the world. So to me, that image on the cross is pirated.

*I will now leave this thread permanently* i have completed my purpose on this thread
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by Horus(m): 10:40pm On Nov 03, 2012
@PAGAN 9JA
You open all the time very interresting threads, I think you should create also a Blog on the internet to talk about African spirituality and share this precious knowledge.
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:43pm On Nov 03, 2012
pastormustwacc: ^you do not even know my views to start with. You are obviously mixing me with those that serve the dead Jesus on the cross (RCC folks), that pirated image of someone on a stake is not my own god. In fact those that serve and bow to that Jesus on the cross are just pagans as far as i am concerned.

The Jesus i serve is living and not dead, and has ascended to heaven to sit on the right hand of the father, and is coming again in glory to judge the world. So to me, that image on the cross is pirated.

*I will now leave this thread permanently* i have completed my purpose on this thread

GO RUN AWAY LIKE YOU DO IN ALL MY THREADS!
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:45pm On Nov 03, 2012
Horus: @PAGAN 9JA
You open all the time very interresting threads, I think you should create also a Blog on the internet to talk about African spirituality and share this precious knowledge.

Thank you brother, for the appreciation. yes you are right i should create a blog.

but i also need to get to my own people first and trust me, Nairaland is the best place for that because it is filled with blind, deaf and dumb people. if i were to create a blog, only the people without any such ailments would flock to it. and as per my requirements, i need the diseased people so i can cure them.
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Thank you brother, for the appreciation. yes you are right i should create a blog.

but i also need to get to my own people first and trust me, Nairaland is the best place for that because it is filled with blind, deaf and dumb people. if i were to create a blog, only the people without any such ailments would flock to it. and as per my requirements, i need the diseased people so i can cure them.

I am not a religious person since I'm a hardcore atheist and I'm drawn to your energetic exuberance for your cause.

Would you mind having a freespace to blog about your religion on a proffessional website? My website will be up in a few weeks
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by Horus(m): 11:06pm On Nov 03, 2012
[img]http://2.bp..com/_urV9_eb_c5k/SlrNiKIdP4I/AAAAAAAAABI/OV6VjVop8HY/s320/Mambo+Cover.jpg[/img]

Mambo Hills: Historical and Religious Significance

Mambo Hills: Historical and Religious Significance took place in Oxford during the Britain Zimbabwe Research Day on 20 June 2009.
Professor Terence Ranger of St Anthony’s College spoke at the launch.

(2008, ISBN: 978-0-7974-3589-6) considers the sacred site to the north-east of Bulawayo that is also known as Intaba zi ka Mambo or Manyanga. Officials of the Mwali Religion that is practised there took leading roles in the War of the Red Axe of 1896, which nearly ended British South Africa Company rule in Southern Rhodesia.

In this path-breaking study, Marieke Clarke draws on oral tradition as well as archival material to write the history, up to recent times, of this area that has importance across Zimbabwe.

(The book can be found on the Amazon website)

1 Like

Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
Logicboy03:

I am not a religious person since I'm a hardcore atheist and I'm drawn to your energetic exuberance for your cause.

Would you mind having a freespace to blog about your religion on a proffessional website? My website will be up in a few weeks

i dont mind. i dont have a website so maybe in my spare free time i could write for yours. wink
Re: The Rise Of Traditional Religion And Spirituality In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i dont mind. i dont have a website so maybe in my spare free time i could write for yours. wink

no probs

(1) (Reply)

Can You Boldly Testify Of God's Goodness In The Year 2017? / The ID2020 Alliance And The Mark Of The Beast / When God Forgives, He Forgets: Be Like Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.