Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report (9448 Views)

Protesters Call For Saraki’s Sack As Senate Committee Submits Report On Marafa / Ekiti Guber Election:Army Panel Submits Report, Recommends Compulsory Retirement / Buhari Introduced As Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 02, 2012

An open disagreement between the Chairman, Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force, Nuhu Ribadu, and his deputy, Steve Orosanye, on the process leading to the compilation of the report of the committee, Friday, almost marred its presentation to President Goodluck Jonathan in Abuja.

But Jonathan who appeared embarrassed by the altercation however urged Nigerians not to be distracted by the small disagreement but to focus on the subject matter of the committee which is the sanitisation of the Petroleum Sector for the benefit of Nigeria and Nigerians.

He urged any member of the Ribadu Committee who had a contrary opinion from those expressed in the report to submit his opinion to him (President Jonathan) through his chief of staff or the Minister of Petroleum Resources.

Trouble started when Mallam Ribadu submitted his report where he recommended a stricter regulation of the sector, especially as regards collection of revenue from oil companies.

He said: “Mr president, the recommendation of our task force will strengthen institutions responsible for the management of petroleum institution, increase revenue accruing to the federal government of Nigeria.

“Mr. President our assignment is essentially to enhance government revenue in proving transparency and accountability and help you to fight corruption in this industry. Therefore in the course of the assignment, our work was extensive, our findings details and our recommendations far reaching in these various issues covered in our terms of reference.”

From left: President Jonathan, Minister of Petroleum Deziani Allison-Maduake, Mr. Dotun Suleiman, Chairman, Special Task Forces on Governance and Control; Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, Chairman Petroleum Revenue Special Tsks Force and Alternate Chairman, Refineries Special Task Force, Alhaji Yusuf Alli during the presentation of reports of the Petroleum Special Tasks Forces at the Presidential Villa, Abuja , Friday.

On the recommendation of the committee, Mallam Ribadu said to increase government revenue from this industry, “the government will need to put in place a coherent financing solution that allows government to fund it’s obligation under the joint venture contract. Funding Government obligation will unlock additional capital from our JV partners which will overtime increase government revenue from the proportionate additional balance of crude oil revenues, royalties on the entire production and taxes on taxable incomes”

He added: “Funding Government obligation will unlock additional capital from our JV partners which will overtime increase government revenue from the proportionate additional balance of crude oil revenues, royalties on the entire production and taxes on taxable incomes.

No sooner had he finished his submission, when Mr Orosanye, who was a Permanent Secretary at the State House and former Head of Civil Service of the Federation raised objections on what he said was the ‘flawed process” adopted by the committee in arriving at its report.

His position was corroborated by another member of the committee, Mr Bernard Otti who dissociated himself from the report because according to him, members did not see the report before it was submitted to the president.

However, two other members of the committee, Sumaila Zubair, who is the acting secretary of the Committee and Ignatius Adegunle rejected the submission of Orosanye and Oti, saying they never took part in the meetings of the committee.

According to Orosanye, “I want to say to you Mr. President that the process that has been followed is flawed and the report that has just been submitted to the honourable Minister is the immediate reaction to the President’s directive that the report be submitted.

“The last time this committee met was in early July when the draft report was to be considered and I raised certain pertinent issues. It was agreed and suggested and accepted at that meeting that a small group be put together to review, modify and return to the report drafting committee before presenting to the whole house. That did not happen. No matter how good the efforts that have been put into this exercise, as long as the process is flawed and that report is one that cannot be implemented.

“When Mr. President gave the directed that the report be submitted today, we should have been man enough to say, it is not feasible. When I came in, I asked the secretary, where is the signature page? He said the chairman is to sign for all of us. I said certainly, I have not authorized anybody to sign on my behalf.

I don’t know what the report contains. Therefore, in my view, I do not think the report should be accepted at this time, I challenge any member of this committee to take me on.”

“It is unfortunate that the point has been missed on the process issue. We agreed that the committee be brought to a committee of the whole. That was not done. Some of the figures that were in the draft report were un-reconciled figures and I did say in that meeting that we have institutions responsible for this figures and therefore you should work with these institutions. I do not know whether DPR and FIRS are here. These are the people who should be talking about these figures and there were statements that were subjective.

“What I am saying is that the President has said come and submit the report, so what, if we are not ready, we are not ready. When I say so what, the President has spoken, we should be man enough to tell the President that we are not ready. That is the reason why you are handing over a report that is not process driven” he said.
SOURCE:http://saharareporters.com/news-page/disagreements-ribadu-committee-submits-report-vanguard-newspaper

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 02, 2012
So, it therefore means that this report is jaga jaga as the committee members are fighting amongst themselves. Ribadu warra f.u/c.k

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 02, 2012
GEJ has managed to plant a mole in the committee. So much for this president who is completely corrupt. What the hell is Steve Oronsaye ranting about? What prevents him from writing a minority report?

4 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 03, 2012
Prof Corruption: GEJ has managed to plant a mole in the committee. So much for this president who is completely corrupt. What the hell is Steve Oronsaye ranting about? What prevents him from writing a minority report?
In every clime, there is always a room for conspiracy theorists. You are short of words but not short of lies. Congratulations for being a Prof of Corruption and lies!

3 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by inteli: 2:41am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: In every clime, there is always a room for conspiracy theorists. You are short of words but not short of lies. Congratulations for being a Prof of Corruption and lies!
Address the message not the messenger!

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Maxymilliano(m): 3:08am On Nov 03, 2012
What a show of shame, guess Ribadu is used to running a one-man show and having his way, it is puerile of Orosanye to choose such moment to express his reservations, which is more like an eye service to me.

Good for the president to ignore such inanities, what matters is the desirable effect, I hope he get down to brass tacks without much delay and muster the courage to implement some of the recommendations with far reaching effect.

I also hope he will spare us the idea of setting up another committee this time to harmonize the recommendations of the various committee.

Nuff said.

3 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by chemashie(m): 7:05am On Nov 03, 2012
Another opportunity to dump the committee‘s report & rubbish ribadu. Each time you think we are about to catch a thief and/or strenghtened our fight against corruption, some funny things usually crop up to prevent its occurence. Steve orosanye is now the mole in this committee planted to discredit the whole exercise just like farouk Vs Otedola.
We are far away from getting there in Nigeria. I know Nigerians aren‘t fools...

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by FrankC3: 7:31am On Nov 03, 2012
Maxymilliano: What a show of shame, guess Ribadu is used to running a one-man show and having his way, it is puerile of Orosanye to choose such moment to express his reservations, which is more like an eye service to me.

Good for the president to ignore such inanities, what matters is the desirable effect, I hope he get down to brass tacks without much delay and muster the courage to implement some of the recommendations with far reaching effect.

I also hope he will spare us the idea of setting up another committee this time to harmonize the recommendations of the various committee.

Nuff said.
Is it not really simple enough from the history of the actors? Ribadu has never been known to be a team builder or a team leader. I think he believes it affect efficiency. Check his records, Ribadu arrests suspects even before investigations finishes. His methods has been historically unorthodox and make no mistake about it, he achieves results. His method shields him from the inefficiency of the beauracracy.
For Orosanye, anybody that knows him will know that he is one of the most principled, process based and fearless civil servant this country ever had. Take a look at his days at the Head of Service. He built majority of the service structure in civil service today, so he had always been a process person and will naturally argue with Ribadu's methods.
Actually, if you look at the committee, you will notice that core professionals were drawn from different fields for this assignment. Ribadu himself is a core professional, very technical too. When you have an all technical committee like this, it is always better to drive it with a man/woman with strong leadership skills. Ribadu has never had that.
To my mind, there is no contradiction here, Orosanya was being true to type, so is Ribadu. But i believe that Ribadu could have managed this team better while achieving his desired result. First rule in leadership is never allow your team to be fragmented.
And to Mr President, we all have a lot to learn from his crisis management. He managed the situation well, while allowing all to save face. He is a thorough team leader.
Now, Ribadu's report has been accepted. Orasanya's inputs can still be accomodated. The collection of these form the report of the committee. This will further expand the discussion points that will lead to concesus. Most importantly, their harmonized findings must be taken seriously and as Mr President said, ALL indicted must be brought to book, but more importantly, the system MUST be made to be more fool proof.

23 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 03, 2012
No big deal. Crisis managed, let's move forward!!
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Remii(m): 9:28am On Nov 03, 2012
Nigeria we hail thee, Farookgate diluted Subsidy probe now Orosanye is about to mess Ribadu report, when will Nigeria stop this "pencil and eraser" design? really sad.

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by slimming: 9:30am On Nov 03, 2012
politicians will not allow. them to rest, the best strategy against the committee. is divide and rule
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 03, 2012
What baffles me is how a copy of the report was speedily released to the press even when the committee members are now arguing that it is not ready and was not harmonized. Who speedily released the report to the press instead of sitting down together to harmonize it. This is very immature.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by irecruit(m): 9:34am On Nov 03, 2012
Let them explain how all those money get missing. This is just the begining
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by greaterlove(m): 9:35am On Nov 03, 2012
Frank-C:

Is it not really simple enough from the history of the actors? Ribadu has never been known to be a team builder or a team leader. I think he believes it affect efficiency. Check his records, Ribadu arrests suspects even before investigations finishes. His methods has been historically unorthodox and make no mistake about it, he achieves results. His method shields him from the inefficiency of the beauracracy.
For Orosanye, anybody that knows him will know that he is one of the most principled, process based and fearless civil servant this country ever had. Take a look at his days at the Head of Service. He built majority of the service structure in civil service today, so he had always been a process person and will naturally argue with Ribadu's methods.
Actually, if you look at the committee, you will notice that core professionals were drawn from different fields for this assignment. Ribadu himself is a core professional, very technical too. When you have an all technical committee like this, it is always better to drive it with a man/woman with strong leadership skills. Ribadu has never had that.
To my mind, there is no contradiction here, Orosanya was being true to type, so is Ribadu. But i believe that Ribadu could have managed this team better while achieving his desired result. First rule in leadership is never allow your team to be fragmented.
And to Mr President, we all have a lot to learn from his crisis management. He managed the situation well, while allowing all to save face. He is a thorough team leader.
Now, Ribadu's report has been accepted. Orasanya's inputs can still be accomodated. The collection of these form the report of the committee. This will further expand the discussion points that will lead to concesus. Most importantly, their harmonized findings must be taken seriously and as Mr President said, ALL indicted must be brought to book, but more importantly, the system MUST be made to be more fool proof.
Gbam, you said it all, 1000000 likes from me.

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by kulutempa: 9:38am On Nov 03, 2012
Steve Oransanye is a bloody disgrace and has no iota of integrity. He is serving on a committee which is looking into the activities of NNPC where he is a member of the board and he thinks there is nothing wrong with this? He is simply a worthless human being.

3 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by greaterlove(m): 9:45am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: What baffles me is how a copy of the report was speedily released to the press even when the committee members are now arguing that it is not ready and was not harmonized. Who speedily released the report to the press instead of sitting down together to harmonize it. This is very immature.
what happened yesterday is already a pointer to why the report was leaked. there was already some infighting and disagreements between the members of the committee. i am impressed with the way the president handled the whole matter, it shows maturity, i only hope he will impress us more by implementing the recommendations (if possible with some good additions and changes that will yield better results).
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by 1025: 9:48am On Nov 03, 2012

@frank c,
jonathan did not appoint only ribadu. it is a committee and not an individual thing. do u know the meaning of democracy? if anything goes wrong tomorrow, it is not going to be just ribadu but the committee. it is important we listen to the other members because as long as they are part of the committee, their opinion counts.
who said ribadu gets results? the war against corruption under obasanjo as was directed by ribadu was fought just on paper hence that regime paraded the most corrupt rulers in the history of nigeria. all the scandals and loots of our time were linked to that regime.
in the short spell of yar adua/farida, a federal saint/criminal in the name of bode george was sent to jail and that man operated throughout the time of ribadu.
ribadu in other countries of this world will never smell any public office as he could not hand over to the next chairman of efcc and he refused to answer all cases filed against him by his then employees and other authorities rather he went on self exile alongside el rufai until another agent of obasanjo(jonathan) brought them home.
how can a man who ran away from justice bring justice to others?
apart from nigeria, no other country of this world makes democracy a one man show.
nigerians are no longer ready to be deceived anymore.
all the properties he siezed from his victims were all bought by/sold to his father in-law.
abeg, let him get out.
let jonathan in his usual way form a new committee that will be headed by bode george or tony annenih to look into that report.
everything jonathan does is good yet we are moving in a round about manner from january to december.
where is the 1 million kilowats achieved under barth nnaji? i know buhari must have stolen that?
what is the privatization of phcn all about? selling the remaining part of nigeria to the same old stealing criminals.
God will visit them soon.

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 03, 2012
greaterlove:
what happened yesterday is already a pointer to why the report was leaked. there was already some infighting and disagreements between the members of the committee. i am impressed with the way the president handled the whole matter, it shows maturity, i only hope he will impress us more by implementing the recommendations (if possible with some good additions and changes that will yield better results).
Yes, you are right. But I took my time to go through that report, in real honesty, they didnt dig deep. They simply gathered data from the organizations they are supposed to investigate. I think there was in fighting already. I can only assume that the entire petroleum sector has to be overhauled totally. There are so much dirty deals going on in the Oil Fields.

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by pheesayor(m): 9:50am On Nov 03, 2012
orasanoye wants to be on the board of NNPC so he's playing their script
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by FrankC3: 9:50am On Nov 03, 2012
kulutempa: Steve Oransanye is a bloody disgrace and has not iota of integrity. He is serving on a committee which is looking into the activities of NNPC where he is a member of the board and he thinks there is nothing wrong with this? He is simply a worthless human being.
It is always easy to insult everybody and call them names but i think it is better to undertstand where they are coming from. For your information, this is an adhoc committee and people don't resign their appointments when called to serve in an adhoc committee. Even Ribadu did not resign ACN membership, Agbakoba has vast interests in maritime law while Gerald Ilukwe is still Galaxy Backbone M.D. So why should Orosanya resign?
I think you don't even know Orasanye because if you do, you will know that in this country, we still have men with principle and ideas on the way forward and not just career critics.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by honeric01(m): 9:54am On Nov 03, 2012
hehehe i dey laugh! Animal kingdom, photosynthesis theory in play. Let the circuit play continue.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by 1025: 10:02am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Yes, you are right. But I took my time to go through that report, in real honesty, they didnt dig deep. They simply gathered data from the organizations they are supposed to investigate. I think there was in fighting already. I can only assume that the entire petroleum sector has to be overhauled totally. There are so much dirty deals going on in the Oil Fields.

uncle,
over hauled by who? are u kidding me? aso rock is dirty and has polluted everything about the country. as long as you have pdp in aso rock, if u like over haul our rivers and seas, it can only get worst.
the same ppl over hauling the country are the same ppl behind these problems. is ribadu suppose to occupy any public office in this country again after all his show of shame at efcc where he refused to hand over to the next chairman as well as his refusal to honour all the court invitations? how can such man who ran away from justice bring justice to nigerians? what if everybody refuses to appear in court like he did?
pdp chairman openly told us that boko haram is fighting for justice and his son is in the subsidy scam. when such person is in charge of the ruling party, what do u expect? how many pdp members have been linked to boko haram?
pls get serious and stop encouraging these dead brains to change one criminal for another.

3 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by kulutempa: 10:04am On Nov 03, 2012
Frank-C:

It is always easy to insult everybody and call them names but i think it is better to undertstand where they are coming from. For your information, this is an adhoc committee and people don't resign their appointments when called to serve in an adhoc committee. Even Ribadu did not resign ACN membership, Agbakoba has vast interests in maritime law while Gerald Ilukwe is still Galaxy Backbone M.D. So why should Orosanya resign?
I think you don't even know Orasanye because if you do, you will know that in this country, we still have men with principle and ideas on the way forward and not just career critics.

Really? Ribadu should resign ACN membership? Was the committee set up to investigate ACN? Agbakoba vasts interests in Maritime Law? What has Galaxy Backbone got to do with corruption in the oil industry? My friend, you are really trying hard. I'll give you 100% for effort! Having Oronsanye on the committee is like having Cecilia Ibru, on a committee to reform the banking industry. grin

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2012
Remii: Nigeria we hail thee, Farookgate diluted Subsidy probe now Orosanye is about to mess Ribadu report, when will Nigeria stop this "pencil and eraser" design? really sad.

Exactly my thoughts on that
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2012
1025:

uncle,
over hauled by who? are u kidding me? aso rock is dirty and has polluted everything about the country. as long as you have pdp in aso rock, if u like over haul our rivers and seas, it can only get worst.
the same ppl over hauling the country are the same ppl behind these problems. is ribadu suppose to occupy any public office in this country again after all his show of shame at efcc where he refused to hand over to the next chairman as well as his refusal to honour all the court invitations? how can such man who ran away from justice bring justice to nigerians? what if everybody refuses to appear in court like he did?
pdp chairman openly told us that boko haram is fighting for justice and his son is in the subsidy scam. when such person is in charge of the ruling party, what do u expect? how many pdp members have been linked to boko haram?
pls get serious and stop encouraging these dead brains to change one criminal for another.

Dont do that. Dont do it again. You scare me big time by these wrong accusations.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by tomakint: 10:13am On Nov 03, 2012
Where is thelastPope (that guy dey make sene wella)? I suspect the politics of I-TOO-KNOW here, typical of Ribadu. He thought being the Chairman he is the alfa and omega of the whole exercise, forgetting that this is not EFCC! I just figured out that the report has been bungled, this early disagreements among the members has just watered down the relevance of whatever is in the report.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by vascey(m): 10:14am On Nov 03, 2012
It is a wonderful coincidence that 2 post-subsidy committees set up to review the petroleum sector have botched their mandates due to flawed process. I dey laff in swahili.

I am not surprised though. For a such a seemingly "clueless" man to get to this position, he must have some "evil 10" qualities.

On a lighter note, anyone noticed how Deziani is looking at Jona in picture 2?? Hmmm... Are u sure some "shining" is not going on in the presidential villa? No be me talk o.

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 03, 2012
vascey: It is a wonderful coincidence that 2 post-subsidy committees set up to review the petroleum sector have botched their mandates due to flawed process. I dey laff in swahili.

I am not surprised though. For a such a seemingly "clueless" man to get to this position, he must have some "evil 10" qualities.

On a lighter note, anyone noticed how Deziani is looking at Jona in picture 2?? Hmmm... Are u sure some "shining" is not going on in the presidential villa? No be me talk o.
Yea, I noticed that too. She has that sheepy smile of some lover. Are you pondering what am pondering ? Just joking.

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by vascey(m): 10:18am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Yes, you are right. But I took my time to go through that report, in real honesty, they didnt dig deep. They simply gathered data from the organizations they are supposed to investigate. I think there was in fighting already. I can only assume that the entire petroleum sector has to be overhauled totally. There are so much dirty deals going on in the Oil Fields.

I agree with you. I read that report too but couldn't help thinking that- this looks like a summary to me, where is the main report?

They didn't ig deep enough.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by garrigangster: 10:19am On Nov 03, 2012
So, some people here are saying that GEJ set up the committee and then tried to discredit their report??
Na wa for Nigerians o
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by vascey(m): 10:20am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Yea, I noticed that too. She has that sheepy smile of some lover. Are you pondering what am pondering ? Just joking.

Dude 2 people pondering what we are pondering = PM News Headline + City People news.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 03, 2012
vascey:

I agree with you. I read that report too but couldn't help thinking that- this looks like a summary to me, where is the main report?

They didn't ig deep enough.
I can only assume that we got the summary. Looking at the picture, there are a couple or more booklets handed over to Mr. President. So I just hope what we have online isnt the real deal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbo Pastor Who Is Lagos Commissioner For Economic Planning And Budget / 2015: APC Is Blinded By Desperation For Power – PDP / EFCC Arrests Abuja Civil Servant Who Paid N60m Tithe To Redeemed Church (2014)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.