Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students (13418 Views)

Apply Now For NIIT Scholarship For Nigerian Students 2015 / Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... / Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:50am On Nov 05, 2012
Bandit C.:
Students are known world over, especially in western countries, to enjoy certain over proportional degree of freedom during their student status and minor breach of the law of the land is most often neglected by the authority. Student status is the closest to citizenship status in most western countries and they often times enjoy close to the full social and fundamental rights of the citizens of the country where they are studying. So, these two could not be telling the whole truth or someone there is really out to get them as i find it difficult to believe that something as flimsy as working at walmart could be a precedence for deportation.

While i was a student in Europe, the official number of days we are allowed to work in a year is 90 days but most students here worked sometimes up to 200 days while some would even take a full year off just to jab and make some money. The authority knows this but never bat an eye.

I personally, while i was a student, went on a jabbing spree for months as a freelancer. What that means is that i was to forward my taxes to the finance office myself but never did it until i received a letter from them informing me that i needed to pay up 4500 Euro tax money. I went to their office and feigned ignorance to the whole process and they ended up there and then writing off the whole owed tax amount and no one ever threatened me with deportation even though my offence could be categorized as a higher offence than the one these two are allegedly involved in.

My point is, someone is telling half truth here and it could be just about anyone of the people involved in this brouhaha.

Deporting students no be mai mai.

We're in year 2012, not 1975. Things have changed.

Canada is not in Europe.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by doppler777(m): 12:56am On Nov 05, 2012
Gangster Canadian rulez,a friend was issued 6hrs visa(Stay),two Canadian immigration officers showed up outside his address before the visa expired.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by deniyor: 12:59am On Nov 05, 2012
I have been following this case in regina for a while now.
The students have been in regina for years and know the rules. They thought they could get away with it.
All they needed to do was get a 65% pass in their classes and get an off campus work permit. They fact they did not have it is their fault.

Yes I signed the petition to keep them but lets call a spade a spade - they knowingly committed the crime.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by SisiKill1: 1:01am On Nov 05, 2012
kinematic:

Since you've never broken a law, i expect you to keep it that way and pray you never do.
Save your prayers dude, I don't need them to keep from breaking the law.

See, not everyone has an uncontrollable inclination towards criminality.

I don't mind praying for you, if you want.

3 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by deniyor: 1:02am On Nov 05, 2012
Their immigration lawyer is the 'most crookest' and dishonest Nigerian I ever met in my life. I wouldn't trust a single thing he says either.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by rickiross(m): 1:09am On Nov 05, 2012
50calibre: These people should learn to be considerate after all the private jets our stupid politicians buy from Canada,
That's the same thing i was telling my C.GF, their government are such hypocrites.They Nigerian government are using stolen funds to buy private jets, but yet they say nothing because they are enriching their economy.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 05, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

We're in year 2012, not 1975. Things have changed.

Canada is not in Europe.

I graduated 2007. You may be that old, i am not. Most western countries operate similar policies where students are involved. I did masters in the US too so i believe i have a broad enough perspective to comment on this issue.

Quit assuming when you do not know someone please.

3 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Empero67: 1:30am On Nov 05, 2012
In Nigeria, you beg when you break the law. You can as well invite your big uncles, locals chiefs and all the numerous stake holders to help you go free.You can as well get the lawyers to bribe the judges.This is why Nigeria is such a BIG MESS. In Canada and other civilized societies, it is not so. The law must be obeyed no matter who you are and where you come from.

I pity the little girls but the fact is that they violated the law and they have to pay the painful price. This is not the end of the world for them. One door closes, another one opens.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 1:31am On Nov 05, 2012
Nigerians, na everywhere we go we dey represent, those girls sharp gan, bt oyibo computer nab dem. And as for canada, make una mash am dere. Wetin dey dis una country make una take dey do anyhow so. Abeg my sixta's make una fall in jahrey, u guys are always welcum.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by beespak7(m): 1:38am On Nov 05, 2012
CANADIANS COME TO NIGERIA TO COLLECT JUICY CRUDE OIL CONTRACTS WORTH BILLOINS OF DOLLARS AND NIGERIANS RUSH TO CANADA TO DO MENIAL JOBS LIKE A CASHIER IN WALMAT, DISH WASHING. WHAT AN IRONY.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by EreluY(f): 2:12am On Nov 05, 2012
In Western Europe and North America, once you fall foul of the law or widely accepted moral code, it's basically over for that person. Second chance is a very rare thing, especially if you are a coloured person or if you're unlucky to come from Nigeria. I sympathise and empathise with these girls and hope Nigerians relocating to go and work/study abroad would strictly abide by the rules and code of conduct of their host countries. In most of these countries, it's become extremely difficult to evade immigration enforcements, neither can one evade CRB checks. Besides, I've seen no other culture that has perfected the business or act of gossiping. All in all let's be careful.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Bright2(m): 2:34am On Nov 05, 2012
But wal mart saw thier identity & status before offering them that job,even if the ladies forgot or don't know the rules atleast they would have been reminded by wal mart management not to handle such job. Anyway,we can't rewind the world back. I pity them sha.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by 50calibre(m): 2:37am On Nov 05, 2012
Empero67: In Nigeria, you beg when you break the law. You can as well invite your big uncles, locals chiefs and all the numerous stake holders to help you go free.You can as well get the lawyers to bribe the judges.This is why Nigeria is such a BIG MESS. In Canada and other civilized societies, it is not so. The law must be obeyed no matter who you are and where you come from.

I pity the little girls but the fact is that they violated the law and they have to pay the painful price. This is not the end of the world for them. One door closes, another
one opens.

That's not true bro! Don't compare this with issues in Nigeria.

Their is a word called LENIENCY, every judge knows when to apply discretion and make decisions outside the law. If every government should ignore peoples complaints and circumstances when taking a decision all because it is the law, then our humanity goes to the wind and that's why their is a law court where all sides of events and circumstances are heard.

Yes their are laws but at the same time their is common sense.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by ektbear: 2:43am On Nov 05, 2012
There is no way they didn't know. Even the Walmart, when you fill out a job application, one of the questions always asked is if you are authorized to work in the country or not.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 2:53am On Nov 05, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
[img]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/09/12/li-nigerian-students_1.jpg[/img]
Victoria Ordu (left) and Ihuoma Amadi say they stopped working at Wal-Mart as soon as they learned it was against the rules of their student visas.

Two federal cabinet ministers have thrown cold water on efforts to stop two University of Regina students from being deported.

Victoria Ordu and Ihuoma Amadi are from Nigeria, and have taken sanctuary in a Regina church for several months because they're afraid they'll be deported.

They have student visas which allow them to work, but only on campus.

They claim they did not know of the restriction and worked for a short time at a Wal-Mart store, but stopped as soon as they learned of the rules.

However, they were ordered to leave the country. Since then there have been protests, petitions and various media reports about their situation.

Last week, Saskatchewan Economy Minister Bill Boyd wrote to federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, who is responsible for the Canadian Border Services Agency, expressing concern and asking for an update.

'Student' status questioned

However, on Wednesday, Toews told CBC News there will be no exceptions made for Ordu and Amadi. He went further, saying the two aren't even students.

"I'm advised that the two individuals are not students in accordance with the plan that they've submitted here and have no basis for remaining in Canada," he said.

Federal Immigration Minister Jason Kenny made similar statements in the House of Commons on Wednesday in response to a question from Saskatchewan Liberal MP Ralph Goodale.

"Both the University of Regina and the Government of Saskatchewan oppose deportation of these two young women for a small honest mistake. Will the minister agree?" Goodale asked.

Fair hearing

Kenney replied the two women received a fair hearing.

"First of all, one of the students told the CBSA that she had not been enrolled in classes and had been academically disqualified, and she had documents confirming that," Kenney said.

"Both of these individuals had hearings before the immigration division before receiving exclusion orders. Both of their social insurance numbers indicated that they did not have permission to work in Canada."

However, a consultant working on the women's cases says that's not true.

He says they were both enrolled at the U of R and while they broke the rules, in this case the punishment does not fit the crime.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/11/01/sk-nigerian-students-1210.html

Ileke c'mon nah why posting their pictures on here?

Btw so people now work at Walmart without work permit? Walmart should be fined for illegal hiring.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by 5much(m): 3:38am On Nov 05, 2012
welcome back to motherland,nigeria
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Omo9ja3(m): 3:44am On Nov 05, 2012
Hmmm. These Igbos sef. The babes, odi ok sha!
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by browncool(m): 3:58am On Nov 05, 2012
The funny part is that these girls are politicians daughters. With all the money spent sponsoring them has gone down the hole

2 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by yinchar(m): 4:09am On Nov 05, 2012
Omo9ja-:
Hmmm. These Igbos sef. The babes, odi ok sha!
What concern IGBOO with this uh.....stop being tribalistic....actually i used to castigate our IGBOO brothers when it comes to crime...but this is totally different..... grin grin grin
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 5:10am On Nov 05, 2012
browncool: The funny part is that these girls are politicians daughters. With all the money spent sponsoring them has gone down the hole

Ode! Are you reading thru your a.hole?
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by UNLEASHED(m): 5:31am On Nov 05, 2012
I'm deeply sorry for these girls sad
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Burger01(m): 6:19am On Nov 05, 2012
"First of all, one of the students told the CBSA that she had not been
enrolled in classes and had been academically disqualified, and she
had documents confirming that,"

This is a lost case. No matter of appeal could repeal the decision to deport these two beautiful ladies. It's a pity. Conditions were stated on their visas and somehow the conditions were fouled. This aren't Nigeria where you get away with things like that! Brace up ladies and have a safe trip to Lasgidi. It's not the end of the world.. But, Just but, God is supreme and these ladies might get reprieve to stay in Canada. Good luck..
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 05, 2012
REALITY101: Ileke c'mon nah why posting their pictures on here?

Btw so people now work at Walmart without work permit? Walmart should be fined for illegal hiring.

Walmart's always in trouble for hiring illegally. Different Walmarts have faced lawsuits for such. That's a point I made in one of the other threads. Two Nigerians working for a sketchy company. Westerners know Nigerians aren't stupid. Even if the girls were oblivious, it's hard to believe so.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Lucasbalo(m): 6:44am On Nov 05, 2012
I hope this young ladies are given another chance. Deporting them is equivalent to messing up their lives.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Arcard(m): 6:46am On Nov 05, 2012
Dat ihuoma amadi loks like igbo nd ikwerre name. U knw since ikwerre ppl dsclaim igbo den thier nt igbo. tongue
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by silayo2008: 7:07am On Nov 05, 2012
This is not a news. Its an old gist.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by andyanders: 7:30am On Nov 05, 2012
oyb: nigerians - always doing the wrong thing and then trying to appeal to sentiment

You are very stu-pid saying what you just stated here. Have you lived abroad and know what it takes to survive? Were they caught stealing? No. They were caught working and does that make them doing the wrong thing others hasn't done as you stated here? What of many foreigners working in Nigeria that does not have single papers? If you are privileged to come from a background where you are lucky to be provided with everything, do not look others as nothing and nobody. How can you come here and open your dirty mouth to state Nigerians? Do you know you are insulting the entire Nigerian public by that statement. I still believe that you never went to school by making a general statement condemning your country Nigeria. I have when people make generalized statement condemning their fatherland.

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by surecan: 7:42am On Nov 05, 2012
andyanders:

You are very stu-pid saying what you just stated here. Have you lived abroad and know what it takes to survive? Were they caught stealing? No. They were caught working and does that make them doing the wrong thing others hasn't done as you stated here? What of many foreigners working in Nigeria that does not have single papers? If you are privileged to come from a background where you are lucky to be provided with everything, do not look others as nothing and nobody. How can you come here and open your dirty mouth to state Nigerians? Do you know you are insulting the entire Nigerian public by that statement. I still believe that you never went to school by making a general statement condemning your country Nigeria. I have when people make generalized statement condemning their fatherland.

z Nigeria a country?
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by yuzedo: 7:44am On Nov 05, 2012
Is deportation a death-sentence?? undecided abeggy jare, let them come back "home" and buy Poly-Jamb form, go to Nekede Poly and graduate in 3yrs with 2.1. Without even attending classes, they can be working, selling igba and mountain-dew near Nda-Leti's shop! grin

Borntofuck will give them 2wks orientation in his room. Make I see weda deir fresh skin no go change by 2013! tongue cool

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by 50calibre(m): 7:56am On Nov 05, 2012
yuzedo: Is deportation a death-sentence?? undecided abeggy jare, let them come back "home" and buy Poly-Jamb form, go to Nekede Poly and graduate in 3yrs with 2.1. Without even attending classes, they can be working, selling igba and mountain-dew near Nda-Leti's shop! grin

Borntofuck will give them 2wks orientation in his room. Make I see weda deir fresh skin no go change by 2013! tongue cool

See what a human being just spat out of his mouth, don't you have any grey matter? Or do you reason through your anus?

2 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by dridowu: 7:58am On Nov 05, 2012
Stale News...........how many times will ds news make frontpage ?
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by lumeneng22: 8:01am On Nov 05, 2012
Is this not the same canada that is begging nigerians to come live and work in their country because their youths are very lazy? Rubbish.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Delta State Closes All Public And Private Primary And Secondary Schools / Urgent,futminna Post Ume Registration Is On. / Fire Outbreak at WAEC's National Office In Yaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.