Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,905 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? (10969 Views)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / Pictures Of African Traditional Clothing! / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: @kails
I don't really ken what u mean by untrue but if its about accomodating acceptance on the part of nigeria/ns as a nation i may have to disagree with u,really patriotism aside this is a well known fact that nigeria/ans are wholly accomodating and we so much love outsiders in general.Do your research,and have ever visited nigeria?
cheers

The title is untrue. That's what I'm saying...
and I don't need to visit Nigeria sir. grin

I have been on NL long enough to see what the general attitude towards us "akatas" is like. Not very inviting to me. grin

In fact I am not the only one:

Blyss:

Nigeria is unstable and not as welcoming. Plus the nation and people have a really bad rep. for being tricky and thieving; things in which most tourist don't want to be bothered with while trying to enjoy themselves on vacation. The other nations you've mentioned have actually taken the time and care to promote and build coalitions with the AA community in order to strike interest in us to come and spend time there.

^^African American man saying this.
He has an EXCELLENT point. Look at the lengths Ghana and even Sierra Leone and Liberia as poor as they are go through to reconnect with us in the diaspora. Their overall mentalities are also "western-friendly". I'm sure you have some azzholes among them but generally speaking they are more inviting. Even south africa sef! And we have no direct relation to them. grin
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ifyalways(f): 2:17pm On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: @kails
I don't really ken what u mean by untrue but if its about accomodating acceptance on the part of nigeria/ns as a nation i may have to disagree with u,really patriotism aside this is a well known fact that nigeria/ans are wholly accomodating and we so much love outsiders in general.Do your research,and have ever visited nigeria?
cheers
unfortunately, they are right.

The only time you see akata's here is when they have to "earn money" from us.

We'll have to start rebuilding and rebranding from home before claiming anyone as one of us.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by odumchi: 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

How can one accepf whaf they do not know?

For most ignorance is inherited.

So you're saying that ignorance should be the status quo, since it's always been that way?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 5:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
kial@

from ur QUOTE'AKATA'u sure being NL quite wel indeed.But al an't d same as status quo
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by yorubaamerican(m): 3:07pm On Dec 06, 2012
How can someone be of "Nigerian origin" when Nigeria is a relatively new concept? That AA roots trace back to some of the tribes found modern day Nigeria today would be a better way to put it.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by tpia1: 4:35pm On Dec 06, 2012
^the topic has been rehashed many times.

just check igbo american threads- its no news that majority of AAs are of igbo origin.

1 Like

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by yorubaamerican(m): 4:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
tpia1: ^the topic has been rehashed many times.

just check igbo american threads- its no news that majority of AAs are of igbo origin.

Igbo origin, good. Not Nigerian origin. Nigerian origin doesn't exist. And many say that the Igbo tribe didn't originate in modern day Nigeria. ...Don't know how true that is, though.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by tpia1: 5:32pm On Dec 06, 2012
nigerian origin, american origin, european origin, human origin, nothing necessarily has to exist in your personal cosmos if the thought of them existing bothers you.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 06, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
by

Not everyone from Mother Africa by birth or descendent feels any connection with Mother Africa.

Agreed.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
*Kails*:

The title is untrue. That's what I'm saying...
and I don't need to visit Nigeria sir. grin

I have been on NL long enough to see what the general attitude towards us "akatas" is like. Not very inviting to me. grin

In fact I am not the only one:

^^African American man saying this.
He has an EXCELLENT point. Look at the lengths Ghana and even Sierra Leone and Liberia as poor as they are go through to reconnect with us in the diaspora. Their overall mentalities are also "western-friendly". I'm sure you have some azzholes among them but generally speaking they are more inviting. Even south africa sef! And we have no direct relation to them. grin

Ataka? I've learnt a new word from this site lol.

I'm not AA but British (not white) Caribbean mixed blah blah! Beginning to accept fate. I'm in love with a Nigerian and trying to become conscious.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 11:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
@flytefall

Well what can one say 'love know no bounds and really its just who we are inside that makes us and not what we dn't.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 07, 2012
ebankole: @flytefall

Well what can one say 'love know no bounds and really its just who we are inside that makes us and not what we dn't.

The love is boundless but cultural boundaries are keeping it from soaring (maybe just in my own head). Some would object; culture is enriching. I'm yet to be convinced either way. Still learning.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 9:39am On Dec 07, 2012
Culture..they say is a way of life,if he knew who u were and accepted u and u knew where he's coming,that's what i called way of life' which truely devine and elucidate how we see things as an individul,how we chose to lead how way of life.In essence,love conquors all fear,boundaries,limitations.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 07, 2012
Then I'll take love as the embodiment of all things. Gonna walk it through without tethered dreams smiley
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 09, 2012
ebankole: kial@

from ur QUOTE'AKATA'u sure being NL quite wel indeed.But al an't d same as status quo

Flytefalls:

Ataka? I've learnt a new word from this site lol.

I'm not AA but British (not white) Caribbean mixed blah blah! Beginning to accept fate. I'm in love with a Nigerian and trying to become conscious.

you're british caribbean?
hmm which island?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Goop: 7:24am On Dec 23, 2012
In short, [size=13pt]NO[/size]!

^^^Answer.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by amor4ce(m): 8:59am On Dec 23, 2012
tpia1: ^the topic has been rehashed many times.

I think you need to see this

http://www.bookerrising.net/2010/05/characterizing-admixed-african-ancestry.html
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
Goop: In short, [size=13pt]NO[/size]!

^^^Answer.

interesting map.
but i wonder if its a representation of ALL Africans traded/sold or for a certain period.
regardless central africa has always taken the lead.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 6:26pm On Dec 24, 2012
*Kails*:

interesting map.
but i wonder if its a representation of ALL Africans traded/sold or for a certain period.

That map is extremely inaccurate.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 24, 2012
Blyss:

That map is extremely inaccurate.

who knows.
i think it only depicts the number from a certain period,
but not necessarily the entire trade.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 12:35am On Dec 25, 2012
*Kails*:

interesting map.

Do you read the description above the map?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by TableLeg(m): 12:38am On Dec 25, 2012
NO!
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 25, 2012
I always look at this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E1b1a_%28Y-DNA%29
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 6:02am On Dec 26, 2012
H-Star89:

Do you read the description above the map?

yes i did.
my question is still valid.
could be that the graph was taken out of context.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 26, 2012
H-Star89:
I always look at this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E1b1a_%28Y-DNA%29

what does the e-haplogroup have to do with finding out where most AAs hail from?
that only proves they are of African descent but not the exact locations.

Anyway @ topic: i think it's ridiculous to say 70 percent are of nigerian origin.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 26, 2012
*Kails*:
could be that the graph was taken out of context.

No, its pretty accurate; This thread explains it more in depth,
http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php/2783-African-ethnic-origins-of-new-world-blacks
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 10:07am On Dec 26, 2012
I taya
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2012
from that link:

Most slaves were being brought to brazil and carribean, but because of higher reproduction, USA blacks ended up becoming the 2nd largest new world black population

that and the importation of enslaved folks directly FROM the caribbean/south america.
as america began to form into colonies and eventually into a nation, the slave masters from the english, french, and spanish colonies of caribbea/south america began to relocate and took their slaves with them. most blacks people in Louisiana have direct origins from the caribbean particularly haiti which is why the creole culture is like a watered down but nonetheless a replica of haitian culture. smiley

ok so this is south america/brazil

and the caribbean

in general

WOW...in all three graphs central africa dominates lol! i wonder!!
the Kongo peoples must have been reproducing like a moofo!! grin But then again, we have to remember some slaves came from mozambique and madagascar as well.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2012
now to answer this thread, 55 percent of african american ancestry is west african.
if you divide that number among the many countries that participated, that makes the nigerian majority theory an epic fail as that map you first posted indicated.

in fact according to that site:

We show that 55% of the U.S. lineages have a West African ancestry, with 41% coming from west-central or southwestern Africa. These results are remarkably similar to the most up-todate analyses of the historical record.

WOW.
so from west africa, senegambia dominates (AAs).

now this i want to post on here because i have spoken on this so many times and many yoruba folk felt like i was trying to rain on their parade to claim afro. brazilians. one in particular is still mad at me despite the evidence i have provided! grin

its all good though, here is MORE PROOF!!

We analyzed sequence variation in the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) hypervariable segment I (HVS-I) from 201 Black individuals from two Brazilian cities (Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre), and compared these data with published information from 21 African populations. A subset of 187 males of the sample was also characterized for 30 Y-chromosome biallelic polymorphisms, and the data were compared with those from 48 African populations. [size=18pt]The mtDNA data indicated that respectively 69% and 82% of the matrilineages found in Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre originated from West-Central/Southeast Africa. These estimates are in close agreement with historical records which indicated that most of the Brazilian slaves who arrived in Rio de Janeiro were from West-Central Africa.[/size] In contrast to mtDNA, Y-chromosome haplogroup analysis did not allow discrimination between places of origin in West or West-Central Africa. Thus, when comparing these two major African regions, there seems to be higher genetic structure with mtDNA than with Y-chromosome data.

interesting.
like i said before the evidence is in brazilian and caribbean culture.
our dancing and music are clearly and HIGHLY influenced by central africa.

and the yoruba that did end up in brazil in fact came from Benin Republic...lol
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
very interesting stuff. cool
we are mutts (as my best pal pagan9ja grin would say)
but at least we know where we came from and which regions
played the largest roles.

very interesting!!
thanks for the share goop/h-star.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 26, 2012
*Kails*:
that and the importation of enslaved folks directly FROM the caribbean/south america.

The overwhelming majority of African Americans descend from the slaves brought to the U.S.; You have to remember that AAs had a natural growth due to longer lifespans and higher reproduction.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by otumfour(m): 8:51pm On Dec 26, 2012
Lmao @ 70% ......Nigerians and their false claims...kails jus shut this thread down......holla!

Funny part is, OP made these claims without providing us wit a single link......I won't be surprised if 1 such character as our OP here, starts a thread titled "Columbus was a Nigerian, his real name was Obi Columbus"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians / Top 10 Scariest Traditional Practices In Nigeria!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.