Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,930 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? (10970 Views)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / Pictures Of African Traditional Clothing! / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
Anywhere you see Benin/Dahomey in the origin of slaves, just know that most of the people shipped from there were Yorubas/Nigerians...

And Nigerians were also shipped from other countries along the west African coast and Angola... wink
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 26, 2012
Slavery isn't something to be proud of, however, when trying to determine ancestry - we need put everything into perspective.... Since Nigerian culture(s)(Yoruba and Igbo..Fon are also kind of Yorubaish) are the most dominant in black diaspora(blacks with slavery ancestry) - then it's enough to say that most of the black diasporans are from present day Nigeria... The E1b1a DNA also adds more credence to that assertion....

However, 70% is on the high side - it should be between 50 - 60%...
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 26, 2012
*Clicks Follow*
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
otumfour: Lmao @ 70% ......Nigerians and their false claims...kails jus shut this thread down......holla!

cool cool

@shymmex, by your logic then, technically senegambians dominate.
if you are going by tribal affiliation as a mean to claim that Yoruba dominate, well
remember you have tribes in Nigeria that are native to Senegambia (far west african coast)
so therefore really, senegambians still will be the majority.

i'll look it up, but i have yet to see in any database that it is suggested that most AAs are Yoruba or Nigerian in origin for that matter.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Dec 26, 2012
*Kails*:

@shymmex, by your logic then, technically senegambians dominate.
if you are going by tribal affiliation as a mean to claim that Yoruba dominate, well
remember you have tribes in Nigeria that are native to Senegambia (far west african coast)
so therefore really, senegambians still will be the majority.

i'll look it up, but i have yet to see in any database that it is suggested that most AAs are Yoruba or Nigerian in origin for that matter.

We're getting closer to the answer now - and we can also deduce from the DNA make-up of AA(56-60% E1b1a west African DNA) that most of them are from West Africa... The next question is: Which country in West Africa produced the highest number of slaves? - that's overwhelmingly Nigeria... And some Nigerians were also shipped from the other ports around West Africa...

The only tribe in Nigeria that's native to the Senegambia region are the fula people, and most of them were not taken as slaves..

1 Like

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 12:52am On Dec 27, 2012
*Kails*:

who knows.
i think it only depicts the number from a certain period,
but not necessarily the entire trade.

60% of BA are of some significant proportion Nigerian ethnic decent, with Igbo being the dominant portion therein. Those numbers are way off there. It was just over 12Million who were believed to have survived the journey to the Americas after having been sold off to the Europeans, though in total number nearly 3 times as many were actually sold off to them and out of that only 12Mill survived the journeys across the ocean. Now remember that that is 12Mill as a whole in which was brought to the AMERICAS and not just the US. Brazil and the Caribbean received by far the largest number of slaves.

Brazil alone received half of them at nearly 6.3Million, and the Caribbean Islands took in around 3.5Million; these numbers are far, far, far more than what the US took in. The US took in only an estimated total of 550,000 Africans while the remainder of the Americas took in the rest. Now one must ask why was it that the US despite its large swaths of land and need to develop it did they not import just as many Africans as Brazil and the Caribbean.

Well, it was because the Americans were extremely selective about which slaves they wanted, while the Caribbean and South American owners were not so selective in that they ran a system in where for the most part, your average slave would survive no longer than 10 years after getting off the slave ships and into the plantations. With such high death rates, they couldn't afford to be picky. The Americans ran a restoration and or preservation system, if you will, this system was designed to work the slaves just enough to get the job needed done done, though not so hard as to rapidly kill them off like the situation was like in the Caribbean and South America. This in the long run saved them money by allowing the small number of slaves they acquired to grow themselves.

Early in the process the Americans observed the slave population in the well established Caribbean and South American plantations and through this observation they made determining decisions on what particular Ethnic groups would work best in their North American environment and American slave system; they first started out with a tiny group of Angolans from 2 different ethnic distinctions, they started out with Angolans first because it was a group of about 35 Angolan slaves in which were first brought the American's first successfully establish settlement of James Town in about 1609 upon a Dutch ship, and Angolans were heavily numbered amongst those slaves who were settled in the Spanish settlement of Augustina in Florida started some 75 years prior to the foundering of James town.

In about 1610 major Ethnic rivalry broke out in the area in what is today South Eastern Nigeria and the area in were Senegal and Gambia now lye. Waring conflict generates war prisoners, and a mass of refugees and refugees are easy pickings for slave catching profiteers. By 1613 4 major slave ports were established along the bight of Biafria and Benin coastline and in time nearly 1/4 of all the surviving slaves to have been brought to the Americas would be exported out of this region, via the profiteering greed of very wealthy and power African priest known as Aros who ran the trading of slaves from the bush and battle fields into the hands of the Europeans with an Iron fist all along the West African coast.

The Igbo with their loosely unified governing structure and docile military uniformity made for apparent easy picking for the ruthless and very powerful Aros who earlier in the 1600's and lat 1500's had a fall out with the Aro over their (Igbo) trading/marketing operations along the coastal villages in which cut into the Aro's Profits. This situation led the Aro to use their influence within the coastal region to spread disastrous rumors about the Igbo marketeers in the region much the same way the Nazi's did with the Jews in Germany. This wasn't hard to do the Igbo case much like the German Jew case, in that their were already reverberating feelings about Igbo profiteering/high marketing presence in the region already amongst the Native ethnic groups to the areas, all it really took was a spark to set off the teetering volatile situation.

The Aro, set off that spark, and along with it provided the funds, weapons and guidance to eliminated the Igbo from the region, and push them all back into the hinterlands. Swaths of native ethnics turned on the Igbo in the region and began refusing to by their goods, and later this action lead to wide spread acts of actual physical violence against the Igbo community in the are, in which lead to retaliatory acts against coastal Ethics presiding in Igboland, then in little time full blown war broke out between the two lands, and the Europeans were right their to sign contracts with the Aro slime to bring in ship loads of Igbo captives to the newly established slave ports for big profits.

The European bargained off cannon and guns galore to coastal tribes who under the guidance of the Aro used them to Haul in loads of Igbo captives, and some others, like the Ibibio who aided the Igbo. The Portuguese were the first ones on the scene to take advantage of the freshly obtained slaves, they began hauling slaves out of the region first, taking them to mostly South America, though at the time there also was a high demand for new batches of slaves in Haiti and so the Portuguese took swathes of them their as well.

At around this same time the Americans began making their journey to the Caribbean to obtain better understanding of which slaves would work best for their system, and in observing these loads of freshly shipped in Igbo and learning about where they come from and skills they possess, along with fitness, they figured that they would be very ideal for their system. Some where bought their in Haiti and brought to the Virginia where their they were put to the test of the American system in which they passed with flying colors, and plans were soon put in place via connection with the Dutch to have loads more brought in in that they figured that they would use the Igbo as the keystone of their Agrarian and Urban development.

Thirdly, you are mistaking in regard to your country and ethnic group differentials, in that you are forgetting that at that time their were no nations as we now them today on the African continent. Igboland, for instance, at that time extended well into what is today Cameroon. Many Cameroonians are actually of full and or significant Igbo descent. Hundreds of thousands of Igbos actually live in Cameroon and are not descendants of Nigerian Igbos. They are the descendant of those Igbos who lived on the Cameroonian side of the line drawn up by the Europeans in Berlin when they began cutting the continent up into Colonies, and in the mids of this, native established nations like Igboland were intermittently cut in half.

One half of Igboland went to the Brits, and became part of their Nigerian Colony and the other went to the Germans and became part of their Cameroon Colony. This type of thing happened all over the continent, so you CAN NOT inject todays national borderlines in Africa in this discussion when speaking of were particular tribes were taken from, because where many of them are known to be primarily today is not the same as were they were primarily know to be from back then.

LOL. That map is hilariously false information. I don't know where you got it from, but you need to throw whatever source it did come from in the trash, TODAY!!. Nearly 20% came from out of the bight of Biafra alone my friend, most were Igbo though not all; many Ibibio, Kalabari, Efik and others in time were also taken. Now that's just that regional area; the Delta area and the western ports have not been included. In total over 1/3 and nearly 2/5 of all slaves taken to the Americas actually came from NIGERIA alone. Then and still to this day Nigeria had and still maintains the largest population on the continent by far, and as we all know, the rule of marketing is balanced on the laws of supply and demand. The Americas needed alot of slaves and the current Nigerian regional ethnic groups had a alot of people. So where do you think the Europeans would naturally go to most often to mean their demands? This aint rocket science folks.

Brazil took in over 6.3 Mill slaves and it's Afro population has been historically known to be heavily influenced by Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and other Nigerian ethnic customs. How do you think this has become to be. Well, it is so because of that 6.3 Mill slaves taken there over 3Mill are believed to have come from Nigeria. Why do you think the presence of Igbo customs in Haiti are so prevalent? It's because hundreds of thousands of Igbo were taken there. Why is it that it is the Igbos presence here in the US that can be most easily traced and seen today?

It's because just less than 2/3 of the slaves brought here were Igbo. Now remember that only about 550,000 slaves were ever brought here, so 2/3 is only about 183,300 Igbo. Brazil and Haiti took in multiple times that amount a piece.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 27, 2012
I'm waiting to see what Goop has to say grin
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 1:39am On Dec 27, 2012
blyss did you read what you posted before you posted it?

please post the source next time because apparently you posted two different opinions as one response both of which contradict each other.

@shymmex are you serious?
all three maps show that central africa had the most slaves sent.
of the estimated 12 million sent, 5 million were sent from central africa (Kongo) ALONE.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 1:42am On Dec 27, 2012
i just got a headache trying to read much less understand what blyss is trying to say. grin
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 1:58am On Dec 27, 2012
Most slaves sent into the new world, however, the demography of the slaves sent to North America is different...

And the DNA of AAs also agree with that assertion... West Africans are predominantly E1b1a and AAs have between 56-60% occurrence of E1b1a in their DNA(with native Americans, E1b1b, and European DNA sharing the rest)... Suffice to say, most of them are from West Africa...

1 Like

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:01am On Dec 27, 2012
Sounds like an Old Igbo Persecution Fairytale to Me.

Propaganda Promoted by Igbo Centric Historians.......{That tale has been passed along the web on many sites and recited}

I do Find it Extremely Fascinating that 99% of this guy's post History Speaks of some bizarre Infatuation With The Igbo Tribe.

However the Point Made About How you can not use Nation Lines of the Modern Day is Absolutely Correct.

The Igbo were Divided the Same Way Many of the Akans of Modern Day Civ and Ghana Were Divided

So Saying "Such and Such" modern day "Country" Had Most Slaves Would Be Incorrect, Unless you were to say Nigeria,(Because they had two Huge Trading Post)

But even that would be flawed because then, Modern Day Benin Would Need to be Credited.

So using "Nationality" as a Listing Would Be Wrong.

You can only go by Tribes/Groups Delivered.

And Judging By That Criteria It Would seem that the top two "regions" that produced the most Tribe/Ethnic Groups Are The Benin/Nigeria/Cameroon(Region 1)

and the (Congo(2)/Angola) Region 2.

I personally would go with North America getting a Majority of it's Slave Bulk From Region 1

With Region 2 leading the Supply to South America

....This is Obvious...it also falls inline with Geographical Correlation, (for those in route who did not stop and exchange midway/ReRoute){{{Carib}}}

2 Likes

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:04am On Dec 27, 2012
shymexx: Most slaves sent into the new world, however, the demography of the slaves sent to North America is different...

And the DNA of AAs also agree with that assertion... West Africans are predominantly E1b1a and AAs have between 56-60% occurrence of E1b1a in their DNA(with native Americans, E1b1b, and European DNA sharing the rest)... Suffice to say, most of them are from West Africa...

shymmex e1b1a is also shared in central africa dude.
they are also part of the E1b1a haplogroup. grin
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:07am On Dec 27, 2012
Truthfully, there isn't really a right answer to this Question.

Who is to say that the slave captured was not falsely labeled by a tribe he was never a member of, And Only Promoted as One of that Tribe because the selling party had a personal vendetta against that particular tribe.

I could have sold some members of my own tribe off of "personal beef" with a few particular individuals, and Labeled them Falsely as a member of a foreign Tribe.

There is no correct answer to this Question Imo

Remember never remove the "human emotion" element of one Historical Discussion.

Behind Statistics There are Emotions and Human Biased Based Logic and Reasoning.

Sometimes we often recite straight numbers from Historical Data which don't always coincide with what truly takes place in Actual Life and Nature.

The Human Element of "Deception" Must Never be Ignored.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:08am On Dec 27, 2012
good points.
very good points.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:09am On Dec 27, 2012
we never will know for sure.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 2:17am On Dec 27, 2012
*Kails*:
blyss did you read what you posted before you posted it?

please post the source next time because apparently you posted two different opinions as one response both of which contradict each other.

@shymmex are you serious?
all three maps show that central africa had the most slaves sent.
of the estimated 12 million sent, 5 million were sent from central africa (Kongo) ALONE.

LOL. Sorry, Kails... that was a repost of an old post I did way back in my Hero days, on this same subject. cheesy I mistakenly forgot to extract a quoted statement in which I was responding to in the original post. That was what the contradictory statement was all about. Sorry, I removed the statement from the post now. cheesy
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 2:19am On Dec 27, 2012
*Kails*:
i just got a headache trying to read much less understand what blyss is trying to say. grin

Sorry to hear that, would you like me to dumb it down a bit for you, I mean simplify it?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:19am On Dec 27, 2012
Blyss:

[size=18pt]LOL. Sorry, Kails... that was a repost of an old post I did way back in my Hero days, on this same subject. cheesy I mistakenly forgot to extract a quoted statement in which I was responding to in the original post. That was what the contradictory statement was all about. Sorry, I removed the statement from the post now.[/size] cheesy

LOL^^^^

while we will never know exact numbers one thing i can say is common sense alone shows that the title of this thread is false. i think we can agree on that.
that percentage is just way too high.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:20am On Dec 27, 2012
**did blyss just get mouth all of a sudden?**

please, don't start with boy. real talk.
you just edited it and apologized! grin so keep the cheap shots. that wasn't necessary.

you this clown.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by coolzeal(m): 2:23am On Dec 27, 2012
The slaves were all scattered and mixed up to the new world and they were brought from West, South and some Eastern Africa so, it will be ignorant to conclude that, the vast majority of them are from the modern day Nigeria. This is important we all should take note and research more, not all blacks in North/South America came through slavery. Some were there before the coming of the European and natives but the euro-centrist won't acknowledge that despite the evidence. It is so obvious.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:24am On Dec 27, 2012
coolzeal: The slaves were all scattered and mixed up to the new world and they were brought from West, South and some Eastern Africa so, it will be ignorant to conclude that, the vast majority of them are from the modern day Nigeria. This is important we all should take note and research more, not all blacks in North/South America came through slavery. Some were there before the coming of the European and natives but the euro-centrist won't acknowledge that despite the evidence. It is so obvious.

AGREED. wink
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by coolzeal(m): 2:27am On Dec 27, 2012
*Kails*:

AGREED. wink

Well you need to read and research more. So, are the Olmecs not black or what?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:28am On Dec 27, 2012
coolzeal:

I have no opinion on that. grin
No comment sir.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 2:31am On Dec 27, 2012
الملكي فوق الله: Sounds like an Old Igbo Persecution Fairytale to Me.

Propaganda Promoted by Igbo Centric Historians.......{That tale has been passed along the web on many sites and recited}

I do Find it Extremely Fascinating that 99% of this guy's post History Speaks of some bizarre Infatuation With The Igbo Tribe.

However the Point Made About How you can not use Nation Lines of the Modern Day is Absolutely Correct.

The Igbo were Divided the Same Way Many of the Akans of Modern Day Civ and Ghana Were Divided

So Saying "Such and Such" modern day "Country" Had Most Slaves Would Be Incorrect, Unless you were to say Nigeria,(Because they had two Huge Trading Post)

But even that would be flawed because then, Modern Day Benin Would Need to be Credited.

So using "Nationality" as a Listing Would Be Wrong.

You can only go by Tribes/Groups Delivered.

And Judging By That Criteria It Would seem that the top two "regions" that produced the most Tribe/Ethnic Groups Are The Benin/Nigeria/Cameroon(Region 1)

and the (Congo(2)/Angola) Region 2.

I personally would go with North America getting a Majority of it's Slave Bulk From Region 1

With Region 2 leading the Supply to South America

....This is Obvious...it also falls inline with Geographical Correlation, (for those in route who did not stop and exchange midway/ReRoute){{{Carib}}}

That information is no fairy tale. It's well document Nigerian history. Look up information on the Aro, and front and center will be information about their involvement in the AST. In Nigeria, only the Benin Empire was as influential, and in west Africa as a whole it's the Bini (rulers of the Benin Empire) and the Ashanti.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by coolzeal(m): 2:40am On Dec 27, 2012
*Kails*:

I have no opinion on that. grin
No comment sir.

Lmao, you are so scared to claim your history right.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:41am On Dec 27, 2012
coolzeal:

Lmao, you are so scared to claim your history right.

kails fears NADA when it comes to debates and history.
I'm just saying, you brought this to the table so why don't you educate me. smiley
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 2:43am On Dec 27, 2012
coolzeal:

Yes they were.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:44am On Dec 27, 2012
grin
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:47am On Dec 27, 2012
ok guys, i've waited long enough.
kiss

the culture section is blah right now tongue (as always)...
i'll be be back to check up on this "lesson" soon.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by coolzeal(m): 2:49am On Dec 27, 2012
*Kails*:

kails fears NADA when it comes to debates and history.
I'm just saying, you brought this to the table so why don't you educate me. smiley

Read "They came before Columbus" from Dr Ivan Van Sertima. You will know more..
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by coolzeal(m): 2:49am On Dec 27, 2012
Blyss:

Yes they were.

good to know bro..
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 2:50am On Dec 27, 2012
I can't believe this guy said only Benin Empire was relevant in Nigeria.... grin grin

Oyo Empire was 10 -20 times the size of Benin Empire from Nigeria to present day Ghana...

There were also massive empires in Northern Nigeria - stop polluting history to suit your agenda...

Akan empire was a small empire that was crushed by Oyo and they paid tributaries to Oyo for a long time... grin

Even PhysicsQED won't dare compare Benin Empire to Oyo - never!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians / Top 10 Scariest Traditional Practices In Nigeria!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.