Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,211 members, 7,953,775 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:50 AM

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent (30059 Views)

Fiance Of Fulani Siddika Sanusi, Emir Sanusi's Daughter, Pictured / African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by kaura5000: 9:45am On Jun 20, 2015
Abdu-l-Rahman Ibrahim Ibn Sori (a.k.a. Abdul-Rahman) was a prince from West Africa who was made a slave in the United States. After spending 40 years in slavery, he was freed in 1828 by order of President John Quincy Adams and Secretary of State Henry Clay after the Sultan of Morocco requested his release. He was captured near the Futa Djallon.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by bankyblue(m): 9:47am On Jun 20, 2015
so?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 9:48am On Jun 20, 2015
I wouldn't really call him "African American"

I would define an African American as an African who has been in America for several generations or someone who is black of African descent for several generations.

This guy was an actual African. A real Pullo who spoke Pulaar/Fulfulde

7 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by kaura5000: 9:51am On Jun 20, 2015
Omar ibn Said was born in present-day Senegal in Futa Tooro,[1] a region along the Middle Senegal River in West Africa, to a wealthy family.[2] He was an Islamic scholar and a Fula who spent 25 years of his life studying with prominent Muslim scholars, learning subjects ranging from arithmetic to theology in Africa. In 1807, he was captured during a military conflict, enslaved and taken across the Atlantic Ocean to the United States. He escaped from a cruel master in Charleston, South Carolina, and journeyed to Fayetteville, North Carolina. There he was recaptured and later sold to James Owen. Said lived into his mid-nineties and was still a slave at the time of his death in 1864. He was buried in Bladen County, North Carolina. Omar ibn Said was also known as Uncle Moreau and Prince Omeroh.[1]

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by kaura5000: 9:52am On Jun 20, 2015
O.k let me say fula slaves in America

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by kaura5000: 10:19am On Jun 20, 2015
Diallo came from a prominent Fulbe family of Muslim religious leaders. His grandfather had founded the town of Bundu, and he grew up with Samba Geladio Diegui the heir (kamalenku) to the Kingdom of Futa-Toro. In 1730, Ayuba became a victim of the ever-growing slave exploitation of the Senegambia region. Ayuba and his interpreter Loumein Yoas (also known as “Lamine Jay,” “Lahamin Joy,” “Lahmin Jay,” “Lamine Ndiaye,” “Loumein Ybai,” and “Lamine Jay”) were near the Gambia River to trade slaves and paper. While visiting some friends on their return trip, Ayuba and Yoas were captured by invading Mandingoes.[1] The invaders shaved their heads to make them appear as war captives, and thereby supposedly legitimately enslavable, as opposed to their actual condition of people captured in a kidnapping raid for the specific purpose of selling slaves for financial profit. The two men were sold to factors of the Royal African Company. Ayuba subsequently convinced English Captain Pike of his high social status, and explained his father was capable of paying ransom. Pike granted Ayuba leave to find someone to send word to Ayuba’s family. Since the messenger did not return in time, at the behest of Captain Henry Hunt, Pike’s superior, Ayuba and Loumein were sent across the Atlantic to Annapolis, Maryland, where he was delivered

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 1:32am On Jun 21, 2015
Fulani just don't have a "look"

Some look very negroid others Semetic

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

And if they speak a nile Congo language recent events indicate it's possible the "semitic" ones adopted it from the "negroid" ones, who are being discriminated these days.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:03am On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

First and foremost there is no such thing as looking negroid, secondly there is no such thing as looking "Semitic" as it's a linguistic group.

The Fulanis that look "stereotypically" black (when I say that I mean non-Sahelian) are Rimaybe typically speaking meaning those who are not truly of Fulani origin as you know there are many Fulani people of Mande descent (like Juldeh Camara).

If you want a good idea of the true Fulani look, look at us the Mbororo'en and other groups further north like the Wodaabe. Ayub Diallo has the look too. A Fulani knows a Fulani when he/she sees one.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:03am On Jun 21, 2015
NadrakAnvimas:

And if they speak a nile Congo language recent events indicate it's possible the "semitic" ones adopted it from the "negroid" ones, who are being discriminated these days.

Not the case, see the comment above.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

First and foremost there is no such thing as looking negroid, secondly there is no such thing as looking "Semitic" as it's a linguistic group.

The Fulanis that look "stereotypically" black (when I say that I mean non-Sahelian) are Rimaybe typically speaking meaning those who are not truly of Fulani origin as you know there are many Fulani people of Mande descent (like Juldeh Camara).

If you want a good idea of the true Fulani look, look at us the Mbororo'en and other groups further north like the Wodaabe. Ayub Diallo has the look too. A Fulani knows a Fulani when he/she sees one.

First of all let's not lie to ourselves there is such a thing as negroid look. If you're black, with thick black skin and a huge nose and with big lips and what not, then you look negroid. And it's Friggin ugly, let's not even lie to ourselves, i.e if you look that way. Secondly I agree, the fulbes aren't semitic, nor do they look that way, because honestly they have different features, a semites protruding nose is different from that of a pullo bloke and many different features so it's not just the skin colour, I believe they were created or evolved in their own unique way given their circumstances. But for me, the fact that they speak a Niger Congo language doesn't make sense at all, so I think maybe given their nack for adopting other languages, they adopted the fulfulde from those charcoal black fulbes, I don't know, it's just a theory, Allahu A'alam. I have become a bit obsessed with the whole tracing my roots thing recently but I've hit a dead end, so I'm stuck, because if the hausas in Niger are the pure hausas like you claimed then something must be wrong with me and my siblings. The fact that I don't have records of my ancestors annoys the living sh*t out of me. But I have been sort of interviewing my friends recently and I swear you won't believe how many of them have actual fulbe ancestry, i'm starting to think the fulbes are even more than the hausas. I almost brawled with a friend of mine yesterday after I discovered both of his paternal grand parents were full blooded fulbes, and I started calling him pullo, and teasing him that he's not really hausa, I don't know what made him so angry. It's really frustrating because I pride myself on being a full blooded hausa man but if that's not true then I feel fake and it really pisses me off not knowing, I feel like a man without a name, I must get answers, if time allows me I will go to my native village and try to trace and know everything about my ancestors or as much as they have, hopefully, I am who pride myself on being, one of the last true hausas, and If so I have a responsibility to protect that identity by seeking a wife just as pure as I am. Your people really messed up the hausa ethnicity, no offense.

2 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 10:05am On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

Why are you in such denial? There's a negroid look just as there's a Caucasian look. ..and it goes beyond skin colour

By Semetic I mean looking like Arabs and other native Semetic speakers with the skin tone and curly hair - Berbers have this too, btw my use of the term wasn't out of place at all

I believe you are saying those fulani looking "really black" have a Mande link. ..Hausa too maybe undecided

I used to think I knew a fulani on sight
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by absoluteSuccess: 10:33am On Jun 21, 2015

Gone too soon.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

Why are you in such denial? There's a negroid look just as there's a Caucasian look. ..and it goes beyond skin colour

By Semetic I mean looking like Arabs and other native Semetic speakers with the skin tone and curly hair - Berbers have this too, btw my use of the term wasn't out of place at all

I believe you are saying those fulani looking "really black" have a Mande link. ..Hausa too maybe undecided

If you say the Berbers look Semitic I'm inclined to agree with you because they are arabs, basically. Agains the fulanis do not look Semitic, they have their own unique look, a fulani man if he were pale would not look like a Semite.

If those dark fulbes truely have Mande link then the fulanis definitely adopted their language from them because the Mandes speak a Niger Congo language, based on how the fairer fulbes look, their original region is definitely further north from there and therefore could not have been the true speakers of fulfulde. Hausa in Nigeria is not an ethnicity, it's a tribe.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 21, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Gone too soon.

"There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'."

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

If you say the Berbers look Semitic I'm inclined to agree with you because they are arabs, basically. Agains the fulanis do not look Semitic, they have their own unique look, a fulani man if he were pale would not look like a Semite.

If those dark fulbes truely have Mande link then the fulanis definitely adopted their language from them because the Mandes speak a Niger Congo language, based on how the fairer fulbes look, their original region is definitely further north from there and therefore could not have been the true speakers of fulfulde. Hausa in Nigeria is not an ethnicity, it's a tribe.

I won't say they are arabs but unique. .looking like Arabs yes but their own people. .
Anyway all Berbers don't look the same. ..some are very much like Nilo-saharans of Sudan (this I have seen)
Africa is just one diverse continental I tell you

But most light skinned fulani I've seen don't look like your typical negro...they would pass for a native Semetic speaker

Can you please explain more about hausa being a tribe(not an ethnicity) in Nigeria
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by kaura5000: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
Actually I don't mind we hausa look black negro or whatsoever what matters is that we have one of the best grounded civilization in africa ... we have great culture kings queens like queen amina etc tubali great architecture etc our our ancestors are proud of they achieve as people not some looks you have no input in

2 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

I won't say they are arabs but unique. .looking like Arabs yes but their own people. .
Anyway all Berbers don't look the same. ..some are very much like Nilo-saharans of Sudan (this I have seen)
Africa is just one diverse continental I tell you

But most light skinned fulani I've seen don't look like your typical negro...they would pass for a native Semetic speaker

Can you please explain more about hausa being a tribe(not an ethnicity) in Nigeria

Lol! Berbers are basically ARAbS mate, good examples are Karin benzema and Zinedine Zidane, can you differentiate them from ARAbS? But they're Berbers. Africa is indeed diverse, indeed the site of creation.

No they don't look your typical negroe, but so do many African ethnicities, that doesn't mean they look Semitic, just imagine them with a pale skin. Also even the purest fulbes hair is not soft or curly as a Semites, but in the Berbers case it is, they have the same shade of complexion and everything with Semites. Also, the protuding nose of a Semite is unlike that of the fulbes, if they had the complexion of a Semite,motherly look absolutely different, infact they'll look weird, that darker shade of theirs is part of their appeal.

Never in my life have I seen a tainted ethnicity like the hausa ethnicity. The most obvious fact is that Usually an ethnicity is supposed to have at least certain physical features, hausas in Nigeria do not, due to inter marriage and flexible principle. Once a person speaks hausa fluently he can claim hausa and you can't challenge it, some so called hausas may or not be aware of their true ancestry but they claim hausa, some even use it as a term to refer to all northern Nigerias, that's not what an ethnicity should be. I gave an example earlier with my family, none of my siblings look alike, we are all of different shades, it's like a circus show, and it's all thanks to inter marriage, it's like an Arab giving birth to a strawberry blonde with blue eyes which in normal circumstances is actually impossible. So I reiterate, hausa is not an ethnicity, it's a tribe of people who share the shame language and culture. But one can argue that ethnicities can be racially diverse but if you put it that way then the hausas in Nigeria can't be real Hausas if true Hausas from other countries exist. It's all very complicated.

See pictures below, a Berber, a pullo and a Jew (Semite), notice the difference and similarities.

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
kaura5000:
Actually I don't mind we hausa look black negro or whatsoever what matters is that we have one of the best grounded civilization in africa ... we have great culture kings queens like queen amina etc tubali great architecture etc our our ancestors are proud of they achieve as people not some looks you have no input in

I'm being serious here. What do true Hausas look like?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by absoluteSuccess: 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

"There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'."
Death is the ultimate healing, my dear.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:07pm On Jun 21, 2015

First of all let's not lie to ourselves there is such a thing as negroid look. If you're black, with thick black skin and a huge nose and with big lips and what not, then you look negroid. And it's Friggin ugly, let's not even lie to ourselves, i.e if you look that way. Secondly I agree, the fulbes aren't semitic, nor do they look that way, because honestly they have different features, a semites protruding nose is different from that of a pullo bloke and many different features so it's not just the skin colour, I believe they were created or evolved in their own unique way given their circumstances. But for me, the fact that they speak a Niger Congo language doesn't make sense at all, so I think maybe given their nack for adopting other languages, they adopted the fulfulde from those charcoal black fulbes, I don't know, it's just a theory, Allahu A'alam. I have become a bit obsessed with the whole tracing my roots thing recently but I've hit a dead end, so I'm stuck, because if the hausas in Niger are the pure hausas like you claimed then something must be wrong with me and my siblings. The fact that I don't have records of my ancestors annoys the living sh*t out of me. But I have been sort of interviewing my friends recently and I swear you won't believe how many of them have actual fulbe ancestry, i'm starting to think the fulbes are even more than the hausas. I almost brawled with a friend of mine yesterday after I discovered both of his paternal grand parents were full blooded fulbes, and I started calling him pullo, and teasing him that he's not really hausa, I don't know what made him so angry. It's really frustrating because I pride myself on being a full blooded hausa man but if that's not true then I feel fake and it really pisses me off not knowing, I feel like a man without a name, I must get answers, if time allows me I will go to my native village and try to trace and know everything about my ancestors or as much as they have, hopefully, I am who pride myself on being, one of the last true hausas, and If so I have a responsibility to protect that identity by seeking a wife just as pure as I am. Your people really messed up the hausa ethnicity, no offense.

I'm sorry but I disagree, are these guys negroids?

Be careful in the way you answer. Be scientific in the way you answer as well.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

Lol! Berbers are basically ARAbS mate, good examples are Karin benzema and Zinedine Zidane, can you differentiate them from ARAbS? But they're Berbers. Africa is indeed diverse, indeed the site of creation.

No they don't look your typical negroe, but so do many African ethnicities, that doesn't mean they look Semitic, just imagine them with a pale skin. Also even the purest fulbes hair is not soft or curly as a Semites, but in the Berbers case it is, they have the same shade of complexion and everything with Semites. Also, the protuding nose of a Semite is unlike that of the fulbes, if they had the complexion of a Semite,motherly look absolutely different, infact they'll look weird, that darker shade of theirs is part of their appeal.

Never in my life have I seen a tainted ethnicity like the hausa ethnicity. The most obvious fact is that Usually an ethnicity is supposed to have at least certain physical features, hausas in Nigeria do not, due to inter marriage and flexible principle. Once a person speaks hausa fluently he can claim hausa and you can't challenge it, some so called hausas may or not be aware of their true ancestry but they claim hausa, some even use it as a term to refer to all northern Nigerias, that's not what an ethnicity should be. I gave an example earlier with my family, none of my siblings look alike, we are all of different shades, it's like a circus show, and it's all thanks to inter marriage, it's like an Arab giving birth to a strawberry blonde with blue eyes which in normal circumstances is actually impossible. So I reiterate, hausa is not an ethnicity, it's a tribe of people who share the shame language and culture. But one can argue that ethnicities can be racially diverse but if you put it that way then the hausas in Nigeria can't be real Hausas if true Hausas from other countries exist. It's all very complicated.

See pictures below, a Berber, a pullo and a Jew (Semite), notice the difference and similarities.

These are Berbers (pure-blooded ones that actually practise the culture and speak the language) as well:

Be careful because true Berbers aren't actually Arab or white.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:11pm On Jun 21, 2015
macof:

You obviously didn't read my statement well. There is no such thing as a Caucasian look or Negro look (besides skin complexion but even sometimes that can be deceiving).

I can link many whites with wide noses and curly hair, I can link many blacks with thinner noses and not so curly hair (though most blacks have curly hair and are proud of it).

What I am saying is that people are not monolithic. That's why true scientists don't use the Terminology Negroid or Caucasoid anymore as it is outdated.

That's why I personally prefer to use the word "white" or "black" but these days, even that terminology is becoming outdated.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

These are Berbers (pure-blooded ones that actually practise the culture and speak the language) as well:

Be careful because true Berbers aren't actually Arab or white.

So, who are the true Berbers? The Arab berbers like benzema? The ones in your first picture? Or the pretty darn black ones in your second picture? Because it can't be all of them.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

I'm sorry but I disagree, are these guys negroids?

Be careful in the way you answer. Be scientific in the way you answer as well.

Most African ethnicities from the hausa to the fulbe to the Bantus are negroid. But there's a certain stereotypical negroid look, I.e besides being dark, they also poses big wide noses, big nostrils, big fat lips and what not probably the expected results of adaptation in Africa.These are negroids but do not exhibit such stereotypical negroid look. These kids are of a Nilotic ethnic group yeah?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

Most African ethnicities from the hausa to the fulbe to the Bantus are negroid. But there's a certain stereotypical negroid look, I.e besides being dark, they also poses big wide noses, big nostrils, big fat lips and what not probably the expected results of adaptation in Africa.These are negroids but do not exhibit such stereotypical negroid look. These kids are of a Nilotic ethnic group yeah?

No, they are not even black, they are Melanesian. They are Jarawa from India.

2 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
RasslerSoulton:

So, who are the true Berbers? The Arab berbers like benzema? The ones in your first picture? Or the pretty darn black ones in your second picture? Because it can't be all of them.

To define a Berber is hard for me here is how I define a Berber

1. Can they speak an Amazighen language? If yes they are Berber
2. Do they practise Berber culture (Amazighen culture)?

The pictures i linked the dark black berbers (Zanati Berbers) and the Medium complexion Berbers (Siwa Berbers) both live in remote regions and speak their Berber languages.

The so-called white berbers don't even often speak the lang or practise the culture. They are Westernised.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by macof(m): 6:55pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

The pictures i linked the dark black berbers (Zanati Berbers) and the Medium complexion Berbers (Siwa Berbers) both live in remote regions and speak their Berber languages.

The so-called white berbers don't even often speak the lang or practise the culture. They are Westernised.

What's this about white berbers? I believe if you don't represent the identity of the people then you aren't one of them
Berbers aren't white so there's no such thing as white Berber

Most of them have more non-berber genes in them

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:57pm On Jun 21, 2015
In regards to Berbers as well, the Zenata are the oldest group of Berber people, and this is how they look:

Some are as black as Charcoal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Zenata+Berbers&biw=1440&bih=712&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=y_iGVauWPIHYoASDpJHIBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Some of the pictures listed are not of Zenata but other "Berbers" in general.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

You're right, the white Berbers are called arab Berbers, and they speak Arabic and or French. But after that,I disagree with everything else. So if a black man from Congo starts speaking old Norse and praying to Odin and all that....he is suddenly a Viking? Again the same thinking that's plaguing my people today.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

No, they are not even black, they are Melanesian. They are Jarawa from India.

Ahhh! You're cheeky I'll give you that. But do you agree with me on the selling point?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
What is this about 'Semitic' look? There is no Semitic look. Same way there is no Indo-European look. Those are just language groups. The dark-skinned Ethiopian Falasha is every bit as Semitic as the lightest-skinned Saudi.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And His Wife At Seyi Tinubu's Engagement Party / Throwback Photo Of Emir Sanusi As A Boy / 46th Coronation Anniversary Of Oba Adeyemi, The Alaafin Of Oyo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.