Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,260 members, 7,818,886 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters (11038 Views)

Akure Monarch Bans Eze Ndi Igbo Title-the Punch / Eze Ndi Igbo In Lagos Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Anti-igbo Comment / Security, Power Or Electoral Reforms: Which Should Be Given Urgent Focus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 8:23am On Nov 16, 2012
Dear all. I will be much available to pay more attention to this thread from saturday midnight.At the moment i am out of station,i urge everyone to maintain sanity as we are progressing.

Code of conduct officer.

9JA_I_HAIL.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ifyalways(f): 8:56am On Nov 16, 2012
Ank and eze Only Truth, well understood. I hope the eze and eze nwanyi elect are taking notes. It'll help them in future.

Moving on, I think we have to tackle once-and-for-all, "conditions for disqualification of candidates" . After basic profiling, what next?
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 16, 2012
Onlytruth: Ogugua88, I saw you just a while ago on this thread. I thought you promised to collate and present everything we've done so far.
Let's see how far.

The same appeal goes to all the officials of this process. The process will run till late December but we need to keep things fresh.
Jisienu ike!

I came on briefly before leaving for the day yesterday. I'm still working on the minutes actually. I hope they're not to thorough lol. I should have it done within a few hours. Thank you for checking.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Valon4ego(m): 10:29pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ndi b'anyi ekele mu unu o! Ka amara osebuluwa diri unu mgbe niile! *subscribing*
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 17, 2012
The minutes are here. I'm sorry they took longer than I had expected. I hope they're okay by Ndi Igbo as they're just a review of most of what has been said in the previous pages. They're good for anyone just joining us who doesn't wish to read all 10 or so pages lol. If any modifications/additions need to be made, let me know please.

-----

Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland
Electoral Reforms and Matters
Minutes

Incumbent Eze – OnlyTruth
Incoming Eze – Odumchi
Incoming Eze Nwanyi – Ogugua88
Moderators – PointB and Ogugua88
Opening prayer by ujchief
Commenced on 8 November 2012

Da infamous – Take corrections from past mistakes. Electorates should find a way to apply guidelines on rules and regulations because without them, any organization will be pointless and disorganized.

Point B – First task is to establish rules and guidelines for nomination in the Eze position.
How do we prevent the wrong people from nominating our Eze? How do we prevent getting the wrong persons nominated? How do we check/prevent/punish nomination from multiple ids, and how do we disqualify a nominee?

Chyseth – (in response to Point B’s questions) What is important is online profiling on whoever is nominated to serve the interest of all of us on this online forum.

Advocate666 – I don’t think there is currently a system that can 100% prevent non-Igbos from nominating on this forum. However, we can put stricter guidelines and force some compromising pledges from people. Nairaland moderators must not participate in the process.

Ifyalways – How does one understand the “whole” Ndi Igbo on Nairaland without erring or hurting a fraction?

Point BChyseth, I like the idea of profiling. However, what if the poster has made few comments? Do we need to have a minimum number of posts before that person is deemed eligible? What should “profilers” be looking for? When is that person not qualified?

9ja_I_hail – Non-Igbos, good or bad, are not permitted to nominate. Eze and Eze Nwayi should not be sectional. Carry all Igbos along, whether anti/pro.

Ifyalways – We must accept that we cannot make some people change their opinions. Our leaders should be people of few words and know when to defend or ignore. If they are silent, our blood hot brethren must not see that as an act of weakness.

Advocate666Ifyalways, having a view should not disqualify someone. An Eze has full right to participate in threads, but has more responsibility and should endeavor to find balance between personal views and greater responsibilities.

Ujchief – Disqualification of nominees based on denigration of Igbos is still controversial. We should come up with better options.

Afam4eva – I think the best way to qualify someone is to make sure that the person has, through his actions, protected the Igbo interest in the politics section or has promoted Igbo culture in the culture section.

Advocate666 – Being Igbo should be the only qualifier.

Point BAdvocate666’s rant was distasteful. 9ja_I_Hail’s 3-year-ban should apply in this case. (supported by chyseth)

Chyseth – Essence of leadership position is to get somebody that ensures effective image of Igbos and engages in informative/educative discussions about our general cause.

Eze OnlyTruth – This exercise should not be hurried; exercise should run well into December. Our leaders must defend and protect us in “war”. Igbo leaders online should know how to read and write Igbo. We should be helping the language survive, not helping it die. (supported by Ogugua88, Eze Promoe, Da infamous)

Eze-Elect Odumchi – Grant each other the liberty to freely express ourselves in whatever ways we deem fit. We should work harder to promote unity and progress amongst those who that we identify with. Concept of forgiveness and damnation shouldn’t be in place at all.

Ogugua88 – Language should be implemented into agenda of Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland (supported by Eze OnlyTruth, 9ja_I_Hail).

Thread started in the Culture section by Eze Promoe.

Goldylock – No disqualifications should be made based on member’s opinion of Biafra, Massob, or Igbo leaders. Everyone should have the opportunity to vote or be voted for as long as Igboness has been verified (supported by ifyalways).

Ngwakwe – All proven Igbo sons and daughters should be allowed to vote and be voted for. Each candidate should present his/her views and beliefs. Digging into the posts of their opponents and quoting them to enlighten the voting population should be allowed.

Point B – Elaborate more on what to look out for during profiling.

Dede1 – For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Anyone who states their opinion, be it wise or ridiculous, should be prepared for counter opinions. (in response to Eze-Elect Odumchi)

Abouzaid – Any nominee whose nomination is opposed by 1/3 of people nominating him/her should be disqualified. 70% of all discussion should be in Igbo.

FreeGlobe – Everyone has a right to his/her opinions. Why was Okija_Juju not forgiven?

Eze OnlyTruth – Nobody can ever be big enough to make us drop our individual opinions an ANYTHING. Some of us are only trying to teach our people how to envisage collective good, even as they hold personal opinions. We rise and fall together.

Ngwakwe – In addition to Abouzaid’s suggestion, after the 1/3 opposition votes, such an officer will face the Igbo electorate again which will require a simple majority of 50.1% of the house to either validate or dethrone such person. (supported by Eze OnlyTruth, ebere1712)

Biafranbaby – I am bothered about Ogugua88’s access to Yoruba owners and her influence on them and vice-versa. She is too close to outsiders and too far from Igbos (geographically, culturally, linguistically, etc) to be Eze Nwanyi. We can’t advance much if Ogugua88 remains in power.

Eze OnlyTruth – You are all duty bound to contribute your voices to HOW we secure and strengthen the institution of Eze Ndi Igbo.

Eze-Elect Odumchi – Every person that identifies as an Igbo should be given the liberty to nominate and vote. Tribunal should be more lax and trusting of the good judgment of Igbo voters; decision should be left in their hands. (supported by Ogugua88, partially by ifyalways)

Ogugua88 – I support having few disqualifications. If people are unsure as to who to vote for, they can read a candidate’s previous posts.

Ifyalways – Pro-democracy. Polls should decide. Every Igbo is eligible.

Polls have been discontinued on Nairaland.

9ja_I_Hail – Laws are to reduce unnecessary attack and divisions that often arise in the midst of Igbos. We can only identify Igbos through their actions and utterances, hence the law.

Point B – I strongly disagree with “Igbo” being enough to warrant one contesting in an election. He/she should be disqualified as a deterrent.

Ngwakwe – The electorate should be the “WE” in any major decision concerning an elected or aspiring officer (online, local, or remote). Any constitution or law made in this house must be approved by at least 60% of Igbo sons and daughters. (supported by ifyalways)

Point B – We should envisage a system which after profiling it is found that an individual is in breach of certain basic norms, outright disqualification is effect by the Electoral Committee. Igbos complained of wanting to change their votes, feeling let down by the Electoral Committee. Being “Igbo” is NOT and should NEVER be enough. (supported by abouzaid)

Ikology – Prior to elections, contestants must present their manifestos, convince us of their Igboness (language or stating their state, LGA, town, village, and kindred). Let the electorate decide.

Eze Promoe – Let treason (speaking against the eze in a rude way) be a punishable offense.

9ja_I_Hail – This has been implemented into law.

Ifyalways – What do we define as ridicule or insult? Who decides when one has done both? I’m yet to see reason as to why a bonafide Igbo should be disqualified. (supported by goldylock)

UjchiefNgwakwe’s guidelines for removal of elected Eze/Eze Nwanyi has received plenty of endorsements and should be signed into law ASAP.

9ja_I_Hail – I still prefer that any elected official who falls victim of law should be handled by the electoral board or Eze council.

Eze Promoe – Controversy isn’t helping this organization. Referendum will be the only solution for now.

Ujchief – It should be the sole duty of council members to appoint prior to election and the tenure to elapse after the coronation of the new Eze when it’s obvious that there are no matters arising from election.

Ngwakwe – Any proposal(s) should be organized into section and sub-sections as to allow voting based on clause by clause consideration to avoid inserting 3rd term agenda in a well crafted constitution.

Ebere1712 – Code of conduct for elected Igbo Nairaland Officials. Eze/Eze Nwanyi should have no previous relationship history, delegated the duty of voting exercises (including dethronement voting). All suggestions made by eligible Umu Igbo should be compiled. Any suggestions receiving enough support should then be discussed extensively, and, if accepted by majority, be passed into law by the Eze (partially supported by ifyalways, Point B)

Ifyalways – How do we handle our differences and tolerate other’s views without necessarily seeing each other as sell outs or sabo?

Ank – (in response to ifyalways) There must have been patterns or previous opinions that will lead to such a conclusion.

Eze OnlyTruth – The Eze must not impose his opinions. Respectful disagreement with the Eze (or anyone) is what we all want.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 17, 2012
Here we are as of now. Some of the suggestions made on this thread have already been implemented. Kudos to 9ja_I_Hail.

9ja_I_hail:
Umu igbo udo diri unu.

As a Code of Conduct for Elected Official and ground for removal – Member i wish to state the laws our elected officials are to abide and work with.

Permit me to first address one issue that almost jeopardized our just concluded election.This is not a law but personal appeal. I wish to urge that we forgive any brethren who had in the pass denigrated or insulted igbo leaders,pass/present or sister states,and many more.But if anyone commit such acts in the future after this law had been approved and signed such person is to be ban not to contest or participate in any position in igbo leadership at least for three (3)years. After three years the person is expected to tender a clear and sound apology to igbo public not (INDIRECT APOLOGY)

I will begin with nomination process guidelines then move to other areas.All igbo sons/daughters are qualified to be nominated hence you are above 18years but you must have below qualities/requirement before standing or accepting your nomination.

Nominations Guidelines
Section A
Qualifications
A forumer shall be eligible to nominate 2
forumers only or be nominated if:

1. Such forumer is an identified Igbo poster

2. Such forumer has been a registered poster at least three months prior to the election (a waiver of nominations by 10 eligible forumers shall however suffice)

3. Nominees must at the very least accept their nomination, which shall also count as a self nomination.

4. Two nominees to amass the highest nomination shall be polled alongside the incumbent Eze, subject to the outcome of any or all petition against their candidacy.

Qualities and responsibilities expected from Eze and Eze nwanyi Ndi Igbo Nairaland

An aspiring Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland is expected to be one who:

1 understands and listens to Ndi Igbo, place igbo agenda in heart before Nigeria agenda.
2 enlightens Ndi Igbo
3 guides, but does not dictate to, Ndi Igbo
4 enables and empowers Ndi Igbo
5 motivate Ndi Igbo
6 inspires Ndi Igbo
7 credits Ndi Igbo
8 helps Ndi Igbo
9 leads Ndi Igbo by example.
10 serves Ndi Igbo
11 Always act fast to present facts to correct any misinformation or false propaganda carry out by any group or region targeting to rubbish igbo name.It is not necessary you have to involve in fights but come out when the need be address Ndi Igbo and drop a comment or present them with facts that can lay the false propaganda by the enemies to rest.

12 Don't fight Enemies of Ndi Igbo with apology.

13 always act fast to correct your mistake whenever you made one before it generated confusion or controversy among igbo's possibly apologize to them because you are elected to serve them.

All these written above is applicable to Eze/eze nwanyi.Any Eze who failed to abide by the laws written above,the law makers shall discuss and take a decision either to remove him/her or to call the eze/eze nwanyi to order.

About Electoral committee it is my humble request that PointB should continue acting as the Electoral commissioner for now.Reason because the Eze Ndi igbo Nairaland election still a new born baby changing of commissioner may set us back after been progressive in our two pass elections. This is just opinion.If igbo public insist on changing it then i shall come out with terms.

My colleague Afam i urge you to look into my presentation and make some add and remove some which you think it is not necessary.While igbos on this forum are looking into this laws written above i shall add or remove if anyone come up with good idea/suggestion or recommendation.

==============ADDITIONAL RULES ADDED=========================THE ABOVE AND BELOW RULES ARE TILL INTACT=================
I wish to add that any elected Eze Ndi igbo should not be insulted publicly or privately by igbos,anyone who publicly insult Eze/Eze nwanyi Elect shall be sanction from participating in any igbo gathering for at least 1 month.If same person repeated such offense him/she shall be sanction for 6months.Any grievances you have against any Elected Eze shall be report to the council for quick resolve.
========================================================================================================
I wish to inform Igbo public that learning of igbo language has been added in our new constitution/law. Please our incumbent Eze and incoming ezes and Eze nwanyi,should take note:Learning of igbo language had been added to their task.It is now their obligation to find a workable avenue/tools to organize igbo language learning for our brethren who cannot read or write igbo.
========================================================================================================
those nominated for the posts of Eze and Eze nwanyi must accept their nominations, failure to do so is akin to disqualification. Prior to the election, the contestants must present their manifestos, they must convince us (electorates) of their Igboness, either language or stating their state, LGA,Town,village and kindred
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 9:24am On Nov 17, 2012
Thank you Ogugua for the update/minutes. It will help most people to know what has been discussed so far and perhaps aid their contributions. I will resume this thread fully next week and together we shall all move this process forward.

A lot of very interesting opinions have be given, and I believe all are done with the best interest of Igbos at the back of our minds. The challenge here is reaching a conclusion that will best unify us, and protect the institution we try to build. A balance will have to be reached eventually. We shall get there with Chukwu's guidance!
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by EzePromoe: 1:50pm On Nov 17, 2012
Thanks, Ogugua for that minute. I was like ' shocked i really said this?' lol. Thank you very much, the minute did not only helped the newcomers, it also helped me who has been following this thread from the page one.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 7:32pm On Nov 17, 2012
Dalu nu ndi banyi. Thank you all for keeping focus on this thread.Thank you ogugua ada oma for the minute i am glad to see the minutes as you promised. I will fully commence by tomorrow been sunday.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 18, 2012
You're all welcome. I'm glad it's handy. Thanks to ebere again, for making the suggestion.

@Eze Promoe, lol. You're not alone. The suggestions were made a mere days ago, but I had forgotten quite a bit myself. Maybe records should be kept regularly to keep everyone up to date and accountable.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 3:01pm On Nov 18, 2012
Thank you my bro/sis. Special thanks to my colleagues.Ogugua,PointB,Afam,Ujchief and our never give up incumbent Eze Onlytruth. I have taken a look from where i left the thread and realized that no new suggestion so far.For that reason i wish to inform general public that below law/rules are where we are.

9ja_I_hail:
Umu igbo udo diri unu.

As a Code of Conduct for Elected Official and ground for removal – Member i wish to state the laws our elected officials are to abide and work with.

Permit me to first address one issue that almost jeopardized our just concluded election.This is not a law but personal appeal. I wish to urge that we forgive any brethren who had in the pass denigrated or insulted igbo leaders,pass/present or sister states,and many more.But if anyone commit such acts in the future after this law had been approved and signed such person is to be ban not to contest or participate in any position in igbo leadership at least for three (3)years. After three years the person is expected to tender a clear and sound apology to igbo public not (INDIRECT APOLOGY)

I will begin with nomination process guidelines then move to other areas.All igbo sons/daughters are qualified to be nominated hence you are above 18years but you must have below qualities/requirement before standing or accepting your nomination.

Nominations Guidelines
Section A
Qualifications
A forumer shall be eligible to nominate 2
forumers only or be nominated if:

1. Such forumer is an identified Igbo poster

2. Such forumer has been a registered poster at least three months prior to the election (a waiver of nominations by 10 eligible forumers shall however suffice)

3. Nominees must at the very least accept their nomination, which shall also count as a self nomination.

4. Two nominees to amass the highest nomination shall be polled alongside the incumbent Eze, subject to the outcome of any or all petition against their candidacy.

Qualities and responsibilities expected from Eze and Eze nwanyi Ndi Igbo Nairaland

An aspiring Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland is expected to be one who:

1 understands and listens to Ndi Igbo, place igbo agenda in heart before Nigeria agenda.
2 enlightens Ndi Igbo
3 guides, but does not dictate to, Ndi Igbo
4 enables and empowers Ndi Igbo
5 motivate Ndi Igbo
6 inspires Ndi Igbo
7 credits Ndi Igbo
8 helps Ndi Igbo
9 leads Ndi Igbo by example.
10 serves Ndi Igbo
11 Always act fast to present facts to correct any misinformation or false propaganda carry out by any group or region targeting to rubbish igbo name.It is not necessary you have to involve in fights but come out when the need be address Ndi Igbo and drop a comment or present them with facts that can lay the false propaganda by the enemies to rest.

12 Don't fight Enemies of Ndi Igbo with apology.

13 always act fast to correct your mistake whenever you made one before it generated confusion or controversy among igbo's possibly apologize to them because you are elected to serve them.

All these written above is applicable to Eze/eze nwanyi.Any Eze who failed to abide by the laws written above,the law makers shall discuss and take a decision either to remove him/her or to call the eze/eze nwanyi to order.

About Electoral committee it is my humble request that PointB should continue acting as the Electoral commissioner for now.Reason because the Eze Ndi igbo Nairaland election still a new born baby changing of commissioner may set us back after been progressive in our two pass elections. This is just opinion.If igbo public insist on changing it then i shall come out with terms.

My colleague Afam i urge you to look into my presentation and make some add and remove some which you think it is not necessary.While igbos on this forum are looking into this laws written above i shall add or remove if anyone come up with good idea/suggestion or recommendation.

==============ADDITIONAL RULES ADDED=========================THE ABOVE AND BELOW RULES ARE TILL INTACT=================
I wish to add that any elected Eze Ndi igbo should not be insulted publicly or privately by igbos,anyone who publicly insult Eze/Eze nwanyi Elect shall be sanction from participating in any igbo gathering for at least 1 month.If same person repeated such offense him/she shall be sanction for 6months.Any grievances you have against any Elected Eze shall be report to the council for quick resolve.
=============================================================================================================================
I wish to inform Igbo public that learning of igbo language has been added in our new constitution/law. Please our incumbent Eze and incoming ezes and Eze nwanyi,should take note:Learning of igbo language had been added to their task.It is now their obligation to find a workable avenue/tools to organize igbo language learning for our brethren who cannot read or write igbo.
============================================================================================================================
those nominated for the posts of Eze and Eze nwanyi must accept their nominations, failure to do so is akin to disqualification. Prior to the election, the contestants must present their manifestos, they must convince us (electorates) of their Igboness, either language or stating their state, LGA,Town,village and kindred
===============================================================================================================================

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Onlytruth(m): 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
A very special thanks to Ogugua88 for an excelent job with the minutes! You overdelivered on your promise. I love that. We are definitely moving forward.
I also thank PointB and 9ja_I_hail for continuing with their jobs here. All of you are making us proud. It is not easy. What you are doing now is not "sexy", in the spotlight or flambouyant, but you are doing a very important job. When we complete this process, no one would successfully challenge our movement forward in the future.
Jisienu ike!

1 Like

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Onlytruth(m): 7:49pm On Nov 18, 2012
ifyalways: Ank and eze Only Truth, well understood. I hope the eze and eze nwanyi elect are taking notes. It'll help them in future.

Moving on, I think we have to tackle once-and-for-all, "conditions for disqualification of candidates" . After basic profiling, what next?

My brothers and sisters, the question raised by our sister Ify is very important.
Let's not pretend that we didn't see that question. lol. So, let's apply our minds to finding a sensible and sustainable solution to the question.
Thanks in advance!
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Onlytruth(m): 7:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
At this point, I think it is proper that Odumchi (our in-coming Eze) should make more comments and start taking some charge of future recommendations here, afterall he has to implement them. We wouldn't want a situation whereby he is saddled with new laws that he may struggle with. We need to build this "in-situ" (to use an architectural or construction term). I make this suggestion on the basis of "uche onye adi ya njo"; lol. I could be wrong though.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by odumchi: 2:28am On Nov 19, 2012
No worries. My hands have been very busy lately, but nevertheless, I've been following this thread. I'll reply to all messages, both online and offline, subsequently.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by dayokanu(m): 5:29am On Nov 19, 2012
Igbo Kwezeonu

BTW Ko ni da fun Ojuku Iseeeeeee
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 19, 2012
You're welcome, Eze OnlyTruth. I'm glad you like it lol.

I just want to remind everyone of the thread started in the culture section. Learning and protecting the Igbo language have been implemented into our agenda. So, for those who do not know the language, I strongly recommend that you seek the Igbo 101 thread lol. We have excellent professors in Eze Promoe (who started the thread), Ifyalways, Eze-Elect Odumchi, Afam4eva, and others. It's a great thread to learn and also practice what you learned. Do not be ashamed. We are here to help each other. United we stand smiley

Learn Igbo Language

Happy Monday!
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 11:18am On Nov 19, 2012
ogugua88: You're welcome, Eze OnlyTruth. I'm glad you like it lol.

I just want to remind everyone of the thread started in the culture section. Learning and protecting the Igbo language have been implemented into our agenda. So, for those who do not know the language, I strongly recommend that you seek the Igbo 101 thread lol. We have excellent professors in Eze Promoe (who started the thread), Ifyalways, Eze-Elect Odumchi, Afam4eva, and others. It's a great thread to learn and also practice what you learned. Do not be ashamed. We are here to help each other. United we stand smiley

Learn Igbo Language

Happy Monday!

I saw the thread some time last week before i traveled and i was marveled at how sweet Eze Promo and co are in doing the teaching job professionally.

Thank you ogugua for bringing this to the notice of others. Also this had been implemented into the law as one of the task our Ezes and Eze nwanyi should carry on.

I will like to say if there is any suggestion made during my absent which i failed to address the person can quote me with the suggestion as i will address it. Though i have taken a look from where i stopped last week and it seems there is no suggestion.

Let keep it coming .
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 20, 2012
Seriously, they're doing a fantastic job. We can't be thankful enough.

I'll be mentioning it often. A lot of us are busy now with holidays and other personal errands taking our time. O diro easy lol.

Hope everyone is well.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 9:38am On Nov 20, 2012
ogugua88: Seriously, they're doing a fantastic job. We can't be thankful enough.

I'll be mentioning it often. A lot of us are busy now with holidays and other personal errands taking our time. O diro easy lol.

Hope everyone is well.

Honestly you guys are doing great there.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by MrsChima(f): 1:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
I have a complaint.

Can you guys make Chima give me back my phone? Thanks in advance. cry cry
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ifyalways(f): 1:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
Ngwanu oh. . .
Eze nwanyi elect, you did a fantastic job with the minutes.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 4:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
Look's like I'm back.

Let's see how we can give our discussion on constitution a little more push.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 4:38pm On Nov 20, 2012
I will try very hard not to drag us back, but sometimes to move forward, we need to look back. So, here is the initial proposal for discussion of Electoral Reform.

- PART 1 - Electoral Reform – Moderator - Incoming Eze Nwayi, PointB

- - Qualifications to nominate

- - Qualification to be nominated as Eze Ndi Igbo and Eze Nwayi Candidate
- - Grounds for disqualification from being nominated or nominating

- - Electoral Commissioner – Appointment and Tenure

- - Voting procedures and tallying

- - Criteria for discounting of vote(s), etc

- - Electoral Tribunals – Appointment,

- - Responsibility,

- - Power and

- - Tenure, etc

Hopefully, we can use it to help move the process forward, quicker.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 4:59pm On Nov 20, 2012
Now let's take it step by step:

First question:

Who qualifies to nominate our Eze?

Several commentator have argued for profiling (ostensibly) to determine who is Igbo.

So, the first answer is that Igbos alone qualify to nominate our Ezes. Very good.
However, some posters also argued that Igbos who peddle certain views against our institutions (Eze) and our people (Igbos) should not be allowed to stand. An euphemism for disqualified. However, some of the proponent of this also asked that offenders prior to this process, should be 'forgiven' while future offenders should be given a ban. A proposition that has so far met no opposition. Good too. Some however want clarification to what kind of views against the institution or our people warrant such measure as disqualification. A few answers include - a pattern of direct insult on the Eze elect or incumbent, a pattern of disparaging words or comments on those (Igbos) one aspires to lead. Indeed, it does make a lot of sense that those who abuse the institution or the people, have no moral justification to nominate a leader for the institution, let alone aspire to lead them. However, since the volume of analysis to be done on each individual is huge, and resources (of course always) limited, some smart fellows suggested the 1/3 rule . A rule that suggested that if there are objections to your candidacy/nomination up to 1/3 of your total nomination, you stand disqualified. Interesting, right?

So how do all these suggestion fits in?
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 5:04pm On Nov 20, 2012
PointB: Now let's take it step by step:

First question:

Who qualifies to nominate our Eze?

Several commentator have argued for profiling (ostensibly) to determine who is Igbo.

So, the first answer is that Igbos alone qualify to nominate our Ezes. Very good.
However, some posters also argued that Igbos who peddle certain views against our institutions (Eze) and our people (Igbos) should not be allowed to stand. An euphemism for disqualified. However, some of the proponent of this also asked that offenders prior to this process, should be 'forgiven' while future offenders should be given a ban. A proposition that has so far met no opposition. Good too. Some however want clarification to what kind of views against the institution or our people warrant such measure as disqualification. A few answers include - a pattern of direct insult on the Eze elect or incumbent, a pattern of disparaging words or comments on those (Igbos) one aspires to lead. Indeed, it does make a lot of sense that those who abuse the institution or the people, have no moral justification to nominate a leader for the institution, let alone aspire to lead them. However, since the volume of analysis to be done on each individual is huge, and resources (of course always) limited, some smart fellows suggested the 1/3 rule . A rule that suggested that if there are objections to your candidacy/nomination up to 1/3 of your total nomination, you stand disqualified. Interesting, right?

So how do all these suggestion fix in?

Welcome back PointB)
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2012
NOMINATION RULES
1 - An individual can nominate two forumers as Eze if:
a - Profiling of such forumer indicates s/he is Igbo
b - Such forumer has been a registered poster at least three months prior to the election (an endorsement by 10 eligible forumers shall however suffice for a waiver)
c -Such forumer does not have pattern of denigrating our institution (Eze) or our people (Igbo)

[2] 2 - An individual can be nominated for the role of Eze/Eze Nwayi if s/he satisfy the conditions above and:
- Has a fairly good history of defending Igbo cause online

3 - CONDITIONS FOR DISQUALIFICATION

- An individual will be DISQUALIFY from standing for elective position if
a - He breaches any section of the Article 1 of the Nomination Rule OR
b - Such individual has an opposition to his candidacy totaling not less than 1/3 of his/her total nominations.
c. - Nominees who do not accept their nominations, SHALL be disqualified.

4 -DISQUALIFIED CANDIDATES CAN: -

a - Appeal to Election Tribunal
b. - Appeal to the Eze and his council as final arbiter

5 - OTHERS -
- Nominations done with multiple user id, shall not count
- Two nominees to amass the highest nomination shall be polled alongside the incumbent Eze, subject to the outcome of any or all petition against their candidacy.

Umu Igbo,

If this does not represent our opinion, kindly let's point out where the changes should be.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Welcome back PointB)

Thankz
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Onlytruth(m): 5:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
odumchi: No worries. My hands have been very busy lately, but nevertheless, I've been following this thread. I'll reply to all messages, both online and offline, subsequently.

Eze-elect Odumchi, we are all very busy, so that would not be an acceptable excuse here o. Find time bros! This thread must be managed, supported, guided, fed and watered as we design things to guide our future.
IMHO you are needed here more than I.
Dalu so nwanne.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by CrazyMan(m): 8:53pm On Nov 20, 2012
Odunnu: Am I just seeing this thread? Na wa o. Una don dey do secret society meeting for NL?
Was about to say the same...I just saw it on my section today...its already about 9 pages...wao... shocked

I don't think I would be able to follow it.

But the whole stuff isn't bad after all...I would therefore wish everyone good luck...and have lots of fun.

Peace!
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 11:52am On Nov 22, 2012
CrazyMan:
Was about to say the same...I just saw it on my section today...its already about 9 pages...wao... shocked

I don't think I would be able to follow it.

But the whole stuff isn't bad after all...I would therefore wish everyone good luck...and have lots of fun.

Peace!

Thanks man for the kind words.

@all,

Let's get the process going again...
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 12:34pm On Nov 22, 2012
PointB:

Thanks man for the kind words.

@all,

Let's get the process going again...

@POINTB PLEASE CHECK YOUR MAIL.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Mad Man’ Strayed Into Lagos Airport Runway / Patience Jonathan Heading To Spain For Treatment - Saharareporters / Burial Arrangements For Benjamin Adekunle - KTJ Minimah, COAS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.