Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,848 members, 7,855,513 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 12:11 AM

Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban (8654 Views)

Collect Tinubu’s N10,000 But Vote Out APC– Fani-Kayode Urges Lagosians / Okada Ban: Motorcycle Dealers Nationwide To Cast Protest Votes / Stop Drinking Free Beer,know Your Neigbours: Fashola Urges Lagosians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 09, 2012
Only in Africa would you ban existing transport systems BEFORE attempting to think about possible alternatives. . . .and thereafter, you expect the poor masses to "endure" while you and your rich friends ensconce yourselves in your luxury SUVs to think up solutions at your own convenience. Yet we wonder why the black race remains backward. Conventional wisdom suggests that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, but then this has no meaning here: just destroy the little you have working for you first, and then grope in the dark looking for better alternatives. Story of Nigeria.

All the theoretical postulations about light rail, ferry shuttle and other high-sounding alternatives are puerile and hare-brained to say the least. Why did you not provide these alternatives FIRST, so that okadas would die a natural death afterwards? That's the problem with us. We think we are brilliant, yet we never get anything done - as all our brilliance serves no useful purpose other than putting the cart before the horse.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sheymoni(m): 10:56am On Nov 09, 2012
come 2014 the ban will be lifted and another helmet will be given for another campaing for ACN just as lastma and kai were ordered to leave the road before 2011 election.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Clemzy16(m): 11:07am On Nov 09, 2012
I've always been against the ban on okada in lagos and other parts of Nigeria, but recently i'm begining to think we're moving on the right track.[/b]The only [b]problem i have with fashola is that he didn't create an alternative for the displaced okada riders. Ever wondered why you don't see majority of motorcycles on foreign countries despite the fact that they manufacture it. That's because they mean well for their country. The white man never wanna see africa progress. They keep shipping cigarette, mariguana, fake drugs, okadas etc.. Which has caused a huge menace in our society today. So, the earlier we do something tangible to address these issues the better.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sheymoni(m): 11:08am On Nov 09, 2012
iwanchop: Must we always comment wt sentiment?Okada ban in Lag is nt an outright ban;475 out of 9000 roads,common!Who says Lagos govt does nt hv an human face?Do we need govt to tell us nt to ride bike on d 3rd Mainland bridge for example?An outright ban was imposed in PH,UYO nd nw ASABA /WARRI nd nothing happened,y shld u now shout Fashola?Afterall d govt has d right to dictate d means of transportation in its state.
there's nothing like partial ban in lagos,police do arrest okada on a close which i believe it's not a major road.even when ur bike is parked in front of ur gate they'll carry it.they are arresting okada on every corner in vi...it's either fashola is deceiving us by claiming that okada are only ban on 475 roads or the police are just sees it as opportunity to be back on the road since the IG ordered them to leave
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Desola(f): 11:09am On Nov 09, 2012
Lanretoye:

And whats she sayin?

That I welcome the ban on the Okadas and in order to further sanitize the State of Lagos, the state government should consider introducing a levy for driving into the heart of the city (i.e Lagos Island)at peak periods. This would curtail congestion and also bring in some revenue for the state. In addition, it would encourage the use of the BRT which in turn translates to income for the state.

Lagos is not for everyone. Those who can't hack it in Lagos should return to their respective states and build them!

We need people to build those other states and development would not happen in them if all their citizens keep trooping to Lagos!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by luvinhubby(m): 11:18am On Nov 09, 2012
GARRI (x7):
Okada was completely banned my state ie Delta State (in Warri & Asaba) since 1st Nov., people are already getting used to the new arrangement.

Heaven will not fall!!!

Developing a city comes with some sacrifices and all must be willing to sacrifice for the future of our beloved cities....
They have better and easily accessible road networks with lesser volume of traffic compared to Lagos..
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 11:19am On Nov 09, 2012
fashola is a b.astard! forgive my language!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Desola(f): 11:20am On Nov 09, 2012
sucess001: fashola is a b.astard! forgive my language!

The same could be said for you!
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by geeez: 11:26am On Nov 09, 2012

Your fada
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by olatunde1234: 11:29am On Nov 09, 2012
JOXY: [b][/b]
Must the government always dance to your tune, the fact that you voted for him does not mean that he should close his eyes to the ills of the society. He wants Lagosians to live like human beings that we are and not like animals.
The sensible ones knows who to vote for in the next election. You cannot use that to intimidate the party.
Can you still remember the OSHODI story ? People still voted for for the party.
ok, we shall see...
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Paentera(m): 11:37am On Nov 09, 2012
afam4eva: Why does the government always use that word "Endurance". Why didn't they find an alternative before banning okadas. It's always the masses that have to endure but the government never endures for even a single day.

There're 8525 other roads that the okada riders can ply so what alternatives are you referring to? Ideally if any of the riders are smart, they should start to work on leaving the business for the Keke Marwa business as I envisage that LASG will phase out okada as the Light Rail project comes on stream by 2015. The riders should start investing in alternative forms of business instead of lacking foresight and trying to fight a losing battle.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by andyanders: 11:38am On Nov 09, 2012
Fashola, you are anti poor governor and that is against the will of God. How can you collect these poor youth's Okada and destroy it? Is it because you are privileged to be in the position you are in? Is it a crime for the rich to co-habit with the poor? Is it not same God that created the poor and the rich? I think you are been inhuman here and I hate you now with passion. These young men using Okada as means of sustaining their life when we have economic depression, and you are here killing them with your policies..
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Afam4eva(m): 11:41am On Nov 09, 2012
Paentera:

There're 8525 other roads that the okada riders can ply so what alternatives are you referring to? Ideally if any of the riders are smart, they should start to work on leaving the business for the Keke Marwa business as I envisage that LASG will phase out okada as the Light Rail project comes on stream by 2015. The riders should start investing in alternative forms of business instead of lacking foresight and trying to fight a losing battle.
Talk is free cheap. I guess you will give them the money to invest in alternative forms of business. You even accuse them of not having foresight...o ma se oo
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by jimmyneutr: 11:41am On Nov 09, 2012
well actually...i see no reason why u guys re lamenting abt the ban of bikers in lagos state...for me he took and bold step to stop em nd also reduced the rate at which accidents occur daily, he only bannedem 4rm highways....so pls think b4 condemning his actions

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by iwanchop(m): 11:42am On Nov 09, 2012
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Paentera(m): 11:47am On Nov 09, 2012
Billyonaire: Okada is not a transport model, and let us not always become emotional about issues. What we should be clamouring for should be an alternative ways of getting people from point A to Point B in a faster and safer way than Okada. I propose an outright ban on Okada, but firstly, let there be more connecting routes. Lekki Epe road is the only access road to ajah area, let the government construction new access roads by the ocean front and also put speed boats on the water ways to ferry people. Let there be helicopter services for people who can afford. Let there be aerial rail line to connect different business hotspots and let many Business learn the new business models that enable them stay home and monitor their clientele and businesses online, this is 21st century for christ sake. Fashola isnt PDP, but he happens to be the only governor I hope was PDP so we can push him to Aso Rock. Fashola belong to my FRESH AIR crew.

Seconded.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 11:50am On Nov 09, 2012
Paentera:

so we shud wait till 2015 before we can go home from work conveniently?
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 11:51am On Nov 09, 2012
Desola:

The same could be said for you!

sori...i dont tink i was talking to you was i? i ll advise u steer clear of me before i steer my vituperation on u....nonsence!
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 11:52am On Nov 09, 2012
geeez:

Your fada

u re a b.astard too...idiot!

...i dont tink my earlier comment was to you was it? i ll advise u steer clear of me before i steer my vituperation on u....nonsence!
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by forkinsonlolo(m): 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
pro01:

Shut up if you do not have your facts right. Stop spewing propagandist nonsense. Lagosians wouldn't complain if the ban was restricted to ONLY HIGHWAYS. If the government bans Okadas on the 3rd Mainland Bridge, Ikorodu Road, Oshodi-Apapa expressway, Lagos-Abeokuta expressway, etc, then that would have my full support and the support of any other well-meaning Lagosian.

Unfortunately, most of the key roads affected by the ban are NOT highways. E.g. There is probably no highway in the whole of Ikeja, and yet Okadas have been banned from the whole of Ikeja (including GRA, Allen Avenue/Opebi, Toyin Street, Adeniyi Jones, etc). Not to mention the road networks in important areas such as Surulere, Festac Town, Victoria Island, Ikoyi, etc. Are these places highways? Or is it that they are 'classy' areas where pests like Okadas need to be eliminated for the utmost comfort of the elitist inhabitants?

In any case, policemen indiscriminately arrest Okada riders all over the state, whether they ply restricted routes or not. Fashola and the other buffoons in Alausa must bear the blame for this; can they honestly say they did not expect that to happen?

As for the fools (including Fashola) that keep alluding to other states where Okadas were banned and yet "the heavens did not fall", they need to be confined to a mental institution. Most states in Nigeria are glorified villages, since they often have only one or two major towns, while the rest of the state are more or less rural communities. Are these what you would compare with a bustling metropolis like Lagos, with a population that exceeds 20million? In any case, is there any state in Nigeria where taxis are more expensive than Lagos? How are people who do not own cars (or prefer not to use their cars) supposed to get to their homes far from the major bus stops?

My only regret is that 2015 is still so far away. I wish the elections could take place in January, and then we would see just how 'acceptable' this Fashola fool and his ACN band of elitists really are.
this is the truth, thank you for this.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by Desola(f): 12:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
sucess001:

sori...i dont tink i was talking to you was i? i ll advise u steer clear of me before[b] i steer my vituperation on u[/b]....nonsence!

it's okay, you're allowed; it is a public forum, is it not?

i'll try my best to give as much as I have, so please, declare the floor open.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by getukudo(m): 12:22pm On Nov 09, 2012
greall1: stop compare delta state with Lagos.
What is the population of Delta state.

Oh please would you shutup already! Does lagos have an immunity not to ban bikes?
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by GARRIx7(m): 12:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
sucess001: fashola My Father is a b.astard! forgive my language!

You're forgiven!!!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by getukudo(m): 12:27pm On Nov 09, 2012
Nigerians and their typical ways of nagging...smh! If you're not happy with the ban of okadas, you can as well relocate to other states where okadas are still operating and stop coming here to talk rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by ifeT(m): 12:36pm On Nov 09, 2012
geeez: Well said BRF

We need to build a city with fast moving trains and buses.

I know Nigerians that walk several miles in New York and London with shopping bags in their hands.

The risk is enormous and they are increasingly getting lawless and come to think of it, over 90% of crimes are perpetrated using bikes and they constitute more than 70% of victims of road accidents.

[b]I also don't think everyone should drive to work everyday. That's what buses are there for. Call them BRT or danfo
[/b]

...and after droping from the BRT, you will trek to office ba?
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 12:39pm On Nov 09, 2012
GARRI (x7):

You're forgiven!!!

grin grin grin grin grin

garri...u know mysef and u dont see eye to eye on issues...its not cos i have anytin against you...its just dt u re immatured...brainless and shallow wen u analyse issues..ur perception is reflected in ur name sef...
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by getukudo(m): 12:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
ifeT:

...and after droping from the BRT, you will trek to office ba?

Your brother no dey trek go office for London?
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 12:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
Desola:

it's okay, you're allowed; it is a public forum, is it not?

i'll try my best to give as much as I have, so please, declare the floor open.

i aint here to declare any floor open...i i leave that to low life individuals...wen pple were insultin GEJ...ur type said he is a public official dt can be spoken of init...? well its my free right to express my feelins about a governor i voted for buh who has betrayed my vote and trust...u wanna stand in the way of the insult...suit urself...
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by GARRIx7(m): 12:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
sucess001:

garri...u know mysef and u dont see eye to eye on issues...its not cos i have anytin against you...its just dt u re immatured...brainless and shallow wen u analyse issues..ur perception is reflected in ur name sef...

Not eye-to-eye, it's keyboard-to-keyboard..... grin grin grin grin

Coming from the person who said this:

What's that definition of SIL.LY again??
grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by aca77: 1:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
And what inconveniences have d governor himself or the honorable members in the state assembly volunteered to endure? Or is it only ordinary Lagosians that know how to endure hardship?

Some of the comments here are surprising and funny dou. I think car owners, nigerians abroad, and other privileged people have no right to comment on this issue. Let only ordinary poor lagosians comment, but then most of them do not have regular access to internet, talkless of nairaland, so we would never hear thier painful experience here. It would be interesting to know how many people who go to work everyday by walking several kilometers under the sun and rain, standing shamefully at crowded bus stops for several hours actually support this policy. It is only their opinions that matter because they are the ones that feel it most. Those of us who own cars or live abroad or whatever should just keep our arrogance to ourselves and stay out of it.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by sucess001(m): 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Not eye-to-eye, it's keyboard-to-keyboard..... grin grin grin grin

Coming from the person who said this:

What's that definition of SIL.LY again??
grin grin grin grin

choi...'our garri(x7) had gone mad again'...eye to eye is a figurative term...buh i assume u dnt knw wat dat is...do one or two classes in literature...u ll come around...y am i even responding to this nitwit!?
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban by getukudo(m): 1:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
aca77: And what inconveniences have d governor himself or the honorable members in the state assembly volunteered to endure? Or is it only ordinary Lagosians that know how to endure hardship?

Some of the comments here are surprising and funny dou. I think car owners, nigerians abroad, and other privileged people have no right to comment on this issue. Let only ordinary poor lagosians comment, but then most of them do not have regular access to internet, talkless of nairaland, so we would never hear thier painful experience here. It would be interesting to know how many people who go to work everyday by walking several kilometers under the sun and rain, standing shamefully at crowded bus stops for several hours actually support this policy. It is only their opinions that matter because they are the ones that feel it most. Those of us who own cars or live abroad or whatever should just keep our arrogance to ourselves and stay out of it.

Are you for or against the policy?

I totally support your stance on car owners and the more priviledged ones to shove their complaints down their hairy asses. But my question is above...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ozekhome Kidnap: Abductors Insist On N100m Ransom / Update On Development In Niger Delta Region(braced) / Turkish Diplomat Mourns Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.