Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,026 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications (15875 Views)

Police To Promote Junior Officers With Higher Qualifications – IG / Show Off Your Qualifications Here / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Mustay(m): 5:31pm On Nov 10, 2012
omosexy1: ICAN is scared of becoming irrelevant and losing revenue to foreign qualifications. Already employers are accepting these same qualifications as par with ICAN. The move is a welcome development. However, I wonder what it would do to make ICAN relevant.

Actually, this move by ICAN has been in the offering since last year. From what I personally aware of, awon baba yen are aware of competition especially these days that Nigerians are opting for ACCA especially when one considers the flexibility of the exams + the ability to attend the 'crash course' after earning ACCA.

When ACCA visited Nigeria to partner with ICAN, the latter tried to 'review' her syllabi up-to-date but just like ICAEW, what ICAN is doing now is to 'prove levels' lol.
One must not say ACCA too did not come without the aim of 'ko won l'obe je' - na both parties want seek mutual benefits via their partnership.

IFRS is now compulsory, so there's no choice about that but despite that, I know what obtains presently in the PE 2 and it's still not at par with ACCA's professional level - P1 to P7 is touche. We also know why ICAN started leaning towards case-study like questions and some of the recent questions were ACCA adopted.

There's no biggie in it - if you want to work in Nigeria as an audtor, ICAN wants you to know the Nigerian laws, hence, the requirement but we know say "all na wash" jare tongue

CAMA 1990 btw only permits ICAN members to perform statutory audits. But like a poster wrote, it only takes ammending acts. However, na ICAN o, na ACCA o, na ANAN o, na APAN o or whatever, the most important thing is how the syllabus is relevant to the ever dynamic world for your competition is not local - think global, act local!!!

ACCA is taking her exams to conputer-based 2013 - 2015 as they claim this is a global trend and you cannot claim to be a PA and still be unable to do what your Japanese colleague can do as a fellow PA cool

So, it's not just about beef but current global standards. ICAN na our own, ANAN too but make we no dey produce or dey do 1990 for 2090.

Additionally, the auditor thingy for UK I posted is for those who take P7.

1 Like

Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by daryore: 7:52am On Nov 19, 2012
:DThat should not be a big deal....ICAN of today is Gari,groundnut,sugar nd cold water...
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by PrinceA2: 3:25pm On Nov 21, 2012
ANAN is a member of an IFAC, PAFA, IAAER,XBRL and other international Accountancy regulatory bodies.

click on this link:

http://www.ifac.org/news-events/2012-11/ifac-announces-election-warren-allen-new-president-olivia-kirtley-deputy-preside

1 Like

Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Mustay(m): 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2012
^^^ That still doesn't answer the issue of STATUTORY AUDITING. wink
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by sharpman1(m): 5:18pm On Nov 21, 2012
Mustay: ^^^ That still doesn't answer the issue of STATUTORY AUDITING. wink

ANAN is empowered by law to carry out statutory audit. The law empowers them to do anything ICAN does.
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Mustay(m): 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
Please sharp man, can you give me a 'source'? What section of their act? Cos the last time I checked via the report on standards and codes (my first post on this thread), they were not statutorily empowered to do so.

Thanks.
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by debosalau(m): 10:38am On Dec 26, 2012
Mustay:

You have to first ask yourself why you're writing some ACCA papers as an ACA. There are some UK schools where their MSc in finance itself doesn't grant them exemption for more than 1 - 4 papers whilst some university graduates are granted exemption for 9 ACCA papers.

It's not a matter of beef but standards - what ACCA does is to compare the syllabi and see the areas that have been sufficiently covered to grant you exemption.

Why do you think completing the fundamdentals part of ACCA enables you to write the Oxford Brookes BSc project? The ACCA qualification is recognised at least, as being equivalent to a UK degree. It qualifies you as a Registered Auditor in the UK because ACCA is a RSB.

Similarly, completing the professional level equates to a master's degrees in the UK. It also has some masters degree status, etc depending on the country. In Pakistan for example, it's equal to M.Comm

And I know those who'll want to yimu and take it up especially when it gets to the Msc -ish to simply visit accaglobal.com

hw can one use ACCA to achieve Masters degree?
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by debosalau(m): 10:38am On Dec 26, 2012
Mustay:

You have to first ask yourself why you're writing some ACCA papers as an ACA. There are some UK schools where their MSc in finance itself doesn't grant them exemption for more than 1 - 4 papers whilst some university graduates are granted exemption for 9 ACCA papers.

It's not a matter of beef but standards - what ACCA does is to compare the syllabi and see the areas that have been sufficiently covered to grant you exemption.

Why do you think completing the fundamdentals part of ACCA enables you to write the Oxford Brookes BSc project? The ACCA qualification is recognised at least, as being equivalent to a UK degree. It qualifies you as a Registered Auditor in the UK because ACCA is a RSB.

Similarly, completing the professional level equates to a master's degrees in the UK. It also has some masters degree status, etc depending on the country. In Pakistan for example, it's equal to M.Comm

And I know those who'll want to yimu and take it up especially when it gets to the Msc -ish to simply visit accaglobal.com

hw can one use ACCA to achieve Masters degree?
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Mustay(m): 1:42pm On Dec 26, 2012

1 Like

Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by BAKAREAAT(m): 10:45am On Dec 27, 2012
This is a step in the right direction.Initially when ICAN came up with this 100% total exception to ACCA Holders ,i asked myself do they know what they are doing?
Every countries all over the world have their legal,Tax differentials and you cannot do that in ACCA in a deeper revelations.
ACCA is global but what we talking here is nigeria context and practice
Taiwo Adewunmi Bakare(BSC Accting,ACA,SAP FINANCE MODULE Certified ACCA FINAL Students)
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Mustay(m): 11:52am On Dec 27, 2012
Before this, what did ACCA members/affiliates do before they became ACA?

Definitely, you cannot practise in any country if you know not or are unfamiliar with local tax laws + audit regulations.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the FA syllabus in ICAN as per IFRS.

1 Like

Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by solowee(m): 2:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
The responses from majority here (obviously ICAN members) goes to show the the incurable crudeness and shallow mentality that plagues SOME holders of these qualification, interact with them and you will be sorry many of the senior accountants that head depts in top organisations in this country aptly display this same crude mentality and contribute to the swift collapse of social and welfare structures that create a basic environment for work.....find out...ICAN KE?? their governing council is replete with these calibre of individuals.

The whole idea behind global convergence of standards is because the world has since moved on so that to compete institutions need to collaborate.other African countries like Ghana,Malawi,Lesotho,Sirrea-leone etc have since woken up to this reality.....do you need more than a week seminar to know about local laws?
question1. why did you consider it abinitio to grant automatic membership to ACCA holders?
question2. what has now suddenly changed?
question3. how many partnerships has ICAN established with foreign bodies(not IFAC)?yet they shamelessly lift past exam questions from these bodies and sometimes erroneously skip key phrases. ICAN wake up and see the light.
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Mustay(m): 4:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
solowee:
Do you need more than a week seminar to know about local laws?
question1. why did you consider it abinitio to grant automatic membership to ACCA holders?
question2. what has now suddenly changed?

Nigerians opting in for ACCA where they could kill 3 birds with a stone (a la Bsc especially for the HND holders, young school leavers & those who were unable to previously get a degree depending on their circumstances, ACA + ACCA) instead of ICAN.

It's not about the beef as some think, it's about not lagging behind whilst the world moves on.
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by olusedo: 7:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
ICAN is the most talked about professional body in Nigeria. When will u compare NBA with d equivalent in UK or USA when will u compare Nig society of engineers with the UK equivalent? Its always ICAN ACCA ICAN CIMA ICAN ANAN ICAN CITN ICAN always breaking the scales.ICAN I LOVE U
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by Ufeolorun(m): 10:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
I am very much interested in a responsive Ican,the development of the profession within the Nigerian context is strongly dependent on Ican trajectory and I pray they do more:work more on the huge credibility gap plaguing the system,make contributtions/Nigerian input to the standard making process rather than a wholesale lifting of the ifrs.A responsive Ican is good for us whether ACA or ACCA.
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by jemisaiye: 10:43am On Feb 18, 2013
horlajide:

Well said!!!!
Now that ANAN has become IFAC member nko? What can the righteous do, I mean what can the ICAN do?
Just asking!
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by mekzone: 3:14pm On Nov 27, 2014
sharpman1:

For free?

Do you know how much your institute collected from me to attend that 5 day seminar?

Go write the exam and prove your professional competence and academic stamina....not the one paper per year which ACCA allows
Re: ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications by houseoftuition: 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
ou can become a Chartered Accountant easily now with IcanLectures.com.ng. Now qualifying as an Accountant is made much much easier by letting you take your Lectures at home instead of being crammed in a hot place like lecture centers do.
Simply log on to IcanLectures.com.ng and start downloading your Ican Lectures.
Regards,
From The IcanLectures.com.ng Team

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Do You Do For A Living ??? / He Wants To Quit His Job As A Chemical Scientist For Music.Pls Advice Him! / KBK Foundation Is Looking For Man Assaulted By Police For Demanding His Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.