Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? (8465 Views)

Standardgoldng E-currency Exchanger: Nairaland Customer Service. / Chrisvicmall Customer Service (Pay Your Supplier Within 24 to 72 working hours) / Nigeria Banks With Worst Customer Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by TrueNaijaBwoy: 4:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
After working with various institutions in the UK, to experience customer service in Nigeria can make you weep...

Customer Service is held in such high regard in the UK that it accounts to a £billion in industry in the UK.....

So for the love of God,
Why is it in Nigeria, An assist and support number is handed to the public via website or the industry forum, however, whoever decides to pick up the phone will ask questions like, how did you get this number? do you know who i am? do you know my position? do you know my qualification?

People these are my experiences from dealing with Lecturers, Banks, Hospitals and for the love of God Embassy.Everyone is determined to wheld this power to mearly frustrate people...

Question: Why is customer service in Nigeria soooooooooooooo aggressive!
Question 2: The customer is always right but not in Naija...discuss?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Sagewood: 9:58am On Nov 12, 2012
It got to do with the culture of rudeness, aggressiveness and poor sense of customer service prevalent in Nigeria.
In the developed countries, every member of staff is a defacto customer service representative.
I believe some banks are improving in this regard, but the lack of knowledgeable and well trained
customer service representatives remain problematic.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by MadCow1: 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2012
.[b]Poor Educational background and poor training..

Just because a person holds a diploma in cooking does not make the person a good receptionist, neither does Mazi Okoyes 19 year old daughter who is awaiting her SSCE result make a good sales girl..

Training is the keyword here..

Its the same problem with the Nigerian Police.. You walk into a Police station and everything that wears that their uniform is rude.. You travel to Europe, America and other developed countries, you arpproach a police man and his first response is 'Good day sir/ma'm, How may I help you..' and the Nigga has a smile.. In Nigeria, you are greeted with 'Na Wetin'..

You enter into a Walmart, Tesco, ASDA, Canadian Superstore e.t.c, When you finish shopping, you are politely thanked for shopping with them, in Nigeria, Nothing like that..

The only place you find anything close to customer service in Nigeria is onboard an Airplane.. Even there sef, Na wahala..

The Banks dey try, but still have a long way to go..

Customer service is a skill.. Employers need to spend money on their staff and enroll them in Workshops and courses on Customer Service. [/b]

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by iamswizz(m): 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
THE BLACK MAN IS INHERENTLY INSANE

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by dilbert100: 3:20pm On Nov 19, 2012
undecided
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by logo77: 3:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
Most customer service agents think they are doing the customer a favour.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
I walked into an NITT training center recently just to enquire about Oracle courses they offer and to get better and detailed explanation for me to choose the right career part only for me to enter a bout of confrontation and aggression.

The rude lady who attended to me even went as far as showing me her CV just to prove an unfounded point and I had to remind her I'm the one paying money here and I deserve a good explanation for parting with my cash.

After the whole episode, she then asked if I was satisfied which made me wonder if she took that into consideration before answering my questions so rudely.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by seedord247(m): 3:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
Poverty.. Bcus no one smile when he/she is hungry. sad

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2012

11 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by sessydoo(m): 3:31pm On Nov 19, 2012
Bros na target oooo
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by TableLeg(m): 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2012
Customer service is non-existent in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by lifestyle1(m): 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2012
Most of them are underpaid and unhappy with their job. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by tonym1(m): 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2012
LACK OF TRAINING AND MAJORITY OF THEM ARE EXTREMELY RUDE shocked
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Anvaller: 3:36pm On Nov 19, 2012
It's a complex scenario but it all boils down to the fact that we Nigerians do not have respect for each other. From the poster's observation, u are talking about a U.K society where ppl are polite to each other even on the street, so how then would it be difficult for such society to have good customer relations. In Nigeria it is the opposite so it will be difficult to train a staff to be polite to customers when the everyday life of such person is aggression, hates and "run everyone down mentality". We have to overcome our aggression 1st in Nigeria. We have to grow up and understand that while attending to customers, u have to be as professional possible while customers too need to understand that if a staff is being very polite to u, then it's not a reason to be rude and talk to them anyhow.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 19, 2012
Simply put as product of poor orientation,and frustration in the economy.
In Nigeria,the producer is the King,cos if he didn't produce,you won't buy .shikena
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by ballabriggs: 3:37pm On Nov 19, 2012
Frustration!!!

Plenty work, small pay undecided

Besides sef the people wey you dey serve need iron hand. It is in naija I see people eat at fast food joints and won't dispose off in the bin. They leave it on the table and walk out of the restaurant.

Very rude!!! Na those kind people you go follow dey do courtesy? They need serious iron hand.

Operation fire for fire and not customer service make customer no go kill you. grin grin grin grin

Okay wait make I give you one scenario. You sabi say bus conductor work na for customer focused environment and e and driver suppose get customer service skill?

So after all the slap wey agbero go give you for bus stop, you go still dey act like gentleman? grin grin grin grin

You wey dey work as customer service rep for the organised firms sef na their bus you dey enter. So after you receive curses from conductor, you go still dey normal? After you drive for third mainland hold up, your head go still correct?

The best way to deal with customer for naija na too dey break bottle for their head, they need iron hand. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Goldieluks: 3:38pm On Nov 19, 2012
They do not have a proper customer service training. Plus they carry their baggages with them to their work place. Especially in those fast food joints when a guy goes with his girl, and the cashier is also female. You notice the cashier looking at the guy and girl with anger, and showing some nasty attitudes as if they are the cause of whatever predicament she's facing.

Some shop attendants behave as if they do not care about making profits off their businesses. They portray annoying body language, and some have the attitude of "if you are not ready to buy, leave my shop" some shop owners would even go to the extent of pouring insults and abuses on custormers. Nigeria has a long way to go.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by SamAfrik(m): 3:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
I will keep preaching this..... Nigeria needs a complete change of attitude & dis starts wit our politicians & public service. I'v received far better treatment outside (e.g SA) than in my home country Naija.
We make things unnecessarily hard.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by pato405(m): 3:44pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nigerians are naturally rude. it's innate in them. it's a problem with the society in general. it's not any different when you visit civil service parastatals, General hospitals (you need to see how rude nurses are), board public/commercial buses - conductors & drivers hurl insults indiscriminately, ask a lady out or simply call her attention to ask a simple question - she's rude not minding that first impression lasts long, University lecturers despise their students and treat them with disdain, My prof & other lecturers in UK are never comfortable when I address them by their titles like 'Dr' or Prof', rather, they insist on being called by their first names. NO NIGERIAN prof will tell his student to call him by first name! try it and forget about graduating, politicians are demi-gods, pastors even slap church members e.t.c Nigerians are rude by nature, proud, haughty, pompous and VERY RUDE. take it or leave it.

14 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by DAvIt0(m): 3:47pm On Nov 19, 2012
outstanding staff salary payments
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by karpentar: 3:48pm On Nov 19, 2012
True NaijaBwoy: After working with various institutions in the UK, to experience customer service in Nigeria can make you weep...

Customer Service is held in such high regard in the UK that it accounts to a £billion in industry in the UK.....

So for the love of God,
Why is it in Nigeria, An assist and support number is handed to the public via website or the industry forum, however, whoever decides to pick up the phone will ask questions like, how did you get this number? do you know who i am? do you know my position? do you know my qualification?

People these are my experiences from dealing with Lecturers, Banks, Hospitals and for the love of God Embassy.Everyone is determined to wheld this power to mearly frustrate people...

Folks are not only underpaid but even the "peanuts" are delayed for months and you think it wouldn't lead to stress? Not even sure the fellow had good night sleep due to NEPA stimulated tough conditions and yet you expect "customer is always right" to be applicable in Nigeria. It's a JOKE!!!!!
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by pato405(m): 3:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
karpentar:

Folks are not only underpaid but even the "peanuts" are delayed for months and you think it wouldn't lead to stress? Not even sure the fellow had good night sleep due to NEPA stimulated tough conditions and yet you expect "customer is always right" to be applicable in Nigeria. It's a JOKE!!!!!

even if you pay Nigerians Jumbo salary, they'll remain rude. your national assembly members earn almost the highest in he world yet, very rude to the common man. being polite has nothing to do with wealth. it's simply a thing of upbringing, humility and respect for others irrespective of their background. wear a cheerful smile, say 'hello', using the words 'please', 'do you mind if..' , 'thank you', etc, isn't just the Nigerian thing. it's in the UK I saw people boarding buses and saying thank you to the driver before they alight. shocked how many times do you board danfo in Lagos and say 'thank you' before alighting? grin you'll rather rain insults like

Driver: Oga come down joor

Passenger: Na here I suppose come down? you dey craze

Driver: Boole joor, weere, oloshi buruku

Passesger: Iyaee oloriburuku (your mother)

Driver: Babbaee oloshi (your father)

Insults and fight on daily basis. aggressive and very rude set of people everywhere. that society has a lot to deal with.

12 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by BashMe1(m): 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nigeria as a nation sef dey aggressive so...? E.g road, housing, food, etc... everyfin 4 Naija
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by frevangel(m): 3:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
True NaijaBwoy: After working with various institutions in the UK, to experience customer service in Nigeria can make you weep...

So for the love of God,

The issue is not just about the corporate environment. Its a Nigerian factor. We are very hostile people. Check the market women, the bus conductors/drivers, the okada riders, the attendants at a supermarket, your teacher, leaders and pastors in church, politicians, our parents, the police and soldier, the list is endless. I find it amazing that people who are running personal petty business are hostile to their customers. In Lagos BEGGARS are hostile when you don't give to them!!! And before I forget, just read through threads on NAIRALAND AND WITNESS HOW HOSTILE AND RUDE NIGERIANS ARE. Many just can't argue/disagree/make a point without name calling and insults!

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by dabrake(m): 3:58pm On Nov 19, 2012
Brand_new: I walked into an NITT training center recently just to enquire about Oracle courses they offer and to get better and detailed explanation for me to choose the right career part only for me to enter a bout of confrontation and aggression.

The rude lady who attended to me even went as far as showing me her CV just to prove an unfounded point and I had to remind her I'm the one paying money here and I deserve a good explanation for parting with my cash.

After the whole episode, she then asked if I was satisfied which made me wonder if she took that into consideration before answering my questions so rudely.

same thing happened to me at first logic. . . She also went ahead, saying I've got no idea 'bout rdbms unknown to her, I've got some knowledge of mysql, ingres, IBM DB2, MSSQL server and Oracle. I had no time to argue with nano intellectuals and my reply to her lunatic rantings was "let's not reduce this to war of database intellects".
Customer care personnels should register for a compulsory anger management programme.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by fittty(m): 3:59pm On Nov 19, 2012
Because the're isn't any school that offers the course. When u have a geography graduate employed by MTN to take customers calls and when you have a mathematician handling the customer care dept in a bank all you get is crap

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Koolking(m): 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2012
Psychological impact some of these 'not-so-friendly' work environments have on the workers in Nigeria is another factor of poor customer service in Nigeria. However, I found out that most businesses in Nigeria pay little or no attention at all to customer support. They want your money and never care about after sale services. Nigerians are used to 'off-the-shelf' business style.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by moyo87(m): 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2012
well as far as I am concerned, the ones at [url]Jumia[/url] are very patient and attentive
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Ofuks(m): 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
My take:

The average Nigerian business operates like a monopoly as if its doing the customers a favor. Hopefully this will change as globalization creates more alternatives for the consumer. Lack of professionals in the Nigerian service industry doesn't help too as the norm is to hire just one professional service person to supervise a team of majorly non graduates and graduate contract staff who are only trying to survive while waiting for the next job opportunity to scram. Even the telcos who should know better are the main culprits in this do-more-with-less syndrome as a call to any of their customer service lines would leave you wondering if the saying about a customer being king is not the reverse as the lack of passion and lack lustre tone of voice signifying non commitment holds sway.Passion and Service is something that any serious business entity protects jealously. Don't get me started on the pretty faces with sour expressions in the banks and the regulatory authorities that are not stimulating healthy competition... if there is true competition service cannot be compromised on the altar of poor service and funny cost saving tactics. Methinks staff with passion and the right attitude should be profiled and placed in customer service and well paid so that they can make a career out of it...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Venchy: 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
karpentar:

Spot on my broda....POWER SHOW is a standard practice in NIGERIA, just of recent I read about senate vice president that says Nigerian Politicians are Ignorant and aggressive and majority of them can't write down their names.

When you have wrong people in charge of a company or business, the practice will be dire.

How can people work without PAY.

My experience in Nigerian Banks is very very frustrating whenever I come to the country.

A company request for a STAMP of my bank's and OJUELEGBA branch told me they won't be able to do that unless I go to MY BRANCH at Gbagada or I pay #1000 for the stamp.

Can someone explain what kind of service is that and the whole Branch are all network?
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by OkwaIfugo(m): 4:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
where there is no constant power supply everything tends to be working otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. / Skye Bank’s Takeover Saved 6,000 Jobs, N949bn Deposits – NDIC / Oil Price Slumps To $46 Amid Brexit Concerns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.