Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,594 members, 7,816,469 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? (8464 Views)

Standardgoldng E-currency Exchanger: Nairaland Customer Service. / Chrisvicmall Customer Service (Pay Your Supplier Within 24 to 72 working hours) / Nigeria Banks With Worst Customer Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by mrrock: 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nigeria itself is such a frustrating place. It's hard to remain polite in such a society. Just check out the type of comments you see daily here on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Philolos: 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2012
There are a number of factors that contribute to our aggressiveness in servicing customers in Nigeria. One of such factors includes not valuing our customers, and the money they spend patronizing our businesses. Again this is common within certain sectors of the public. If you are a professional business servicing a handful of well-paying clientele, you wouldn't be asked to value your customers/clients. But if you are in a commodities business where the customer is estimated not to return to your business, you may not treat such a customer with care.
Another factor is competition or lack of, based on customer service. The competition within big companies in Nigeria is based on price. When the war in price no longer matters to Nigerians and the competition becomes sophisticated, based on Customer Services, Support, or hospitality, you would then start to see some traction in this aspect of business. I don’t think it has anything to do with our culture per se. Most of us come from families that respect each other and would want others to treat us the same. I think we can all agree on this fact.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Olaone1: 4:20pm On Nov 19, 2012
In Nigeria

CS representatives are rude/not motivated

Customers are also rude.

Nigerians find it difficult to use these words/phrases/clauses:
"Sir"
"Thank you"
"Sorry".
"You are welcome"
We consider these words foreign and demeaning.

We also frown at "how are you?", "are you okay?", "are you alright?"
In Nigeria, these^^ are meant for younger ones.

Another one:
Ask a Nigerian this question: "what is your name?'
Answer: "I am Mr Babatunde"

WTF! Babtunde or Mr Babatunde.

Live with it guys, it's part of our value system.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Olaone1: 4:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
obadiah777: THE BLACK MAN IS INHERENTLY INSANE

Okay, Mr Israel tongue
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2012
ego....big egos with no brains to back it up"every one is a tin god,in his or hers cubicle/space.hair stylists who earn ten thousand naira a month will choose who they will be good to/and who they wont...receptionists who have been all sort of big men,will choose whom they will good too,eveyone is like"is it because you see me here" attitude,they are rude because they want to be respected,however little do they know,its humilty that brings respect.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by AjanleKoko: 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2012
Ola one: In Nigeria

CS representatives are rude/not motivated

Customers are also rude.

Nigerians find it difficult to use these words/phrases/clauses:
"Sir"
"Thank you"
"Sorry".
"You are welcome"

We also frown at "how are you?", "are you okay?", "are you alright?"
In Nigeria, these^^ are meant for younger ones.

Another one:
Ask a Nigerian this question: "what is your name?'
Answer: "I am Mr Babatunde"

WTF! Babtunde or Mr Babatunde.

Live with it guys, it's part of our value system.

I like this. It works both ways actually.
To all Nairalanders, why not try this? When you are in front of that CS person, smile and speak with politeness and respect?
You can't be rude and aggressive, and not expect to get same in return.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by SisiKill1: 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2012
@ OP
Welcome to the club!!

Sisi_Kill: OP your tips are very nice. . .for Normal Businesses but for Nigerian business? Abeg the first tip should be - BE NICE AND COURTEOUS

I can't count how many times I have had to ask a receptionist or cashier or some manager or bank teller if we've met before and they are like, no why do you ask? And I go I am just wondering if I need to apologize for something I did to you the last time we met with the way you squeezing your face and spitting your responses back.

Typical Conversation goes like this

Someone enters the office, the reception waits until the person says Good morning before she answers. . .does not even look up from whatever she is doing.

Receptionist - (frowning her face like she's just eaten baby poo) Goo morrin, can i help you?

Person - Yes, I am here to do to get this papers signed. Apparently I need the manager's signature on this to get blah blah blah.

Reception - What?

Person - (slower and a bit confused) I said I am here to do so and so. . .am I in the right place?

Receptionist (frowning harder like spoilt egg has been added to the baby poo) - Yes, you are but we don't do that on Fridays.

Person - Oh? No one told me that when I called.

Receptionsist (Now rotten milk is now part of the diet) - Ehn maybe you called the wrong place.

Person - No I didn't, I specifically called the number I was given when I came here on Monday and was told the manager is not always on seat on Mondays. The gateman gave me a card and told me to call that number and I did.

Receptionist - (More rotten milk) - Why are you collecting number from the gateman? He does not know anything about what we do.

Person - (Brings card out) this is the card he gave me. . .it says call to these numbers for questions.

Receptionist (with a side of cow dung) - That is our head office number, they don't know what we do here.

Person - Okay, so what do I do now?

Receptionist - Like I have told you before we don't do that on Friday, maybe you should come on Monday.

Person - But I was here on Monday and they told me the manager is not on seat on Mondays.

Receptionist - Ehn he is not here but you can submit the form and when he come on Tuesday, he will sign it then.

Person - So I can pick it up on Tuesday?

Receptionist - No

Person - Why not?

Receptionist - Because we still have to laminate it.

Person - You can't laminate on Tuesday?

Receptionist - No.

Person (Taking deep breaths) - Why not?

Receptionist - Because the laminate place only open on Wednesday.

Person - There is only one laminating place?

Receptionist - No

Person - Okaaaay, why can't you laminate it somewhere else.

Receptionist - Oga, your question is becoming to much oh. That is just how we do our business.

Person (trying to hold on to the their temper) - Okay, alright. Okay Fine.

Starts walking out

Reception - So You are not coming on Monday?

Person - (Angrily) What do you you mean so I am not coming back on Monday? Do I have a choice? Of course I am coming back on Monday.

Reception - Ehn, Ehn, Please oga don't shout on me oh, I am somebody's wife.

Person - Why won't I shout. How can you ask me if I am coming back on Monday when you told me I have to come back on Monday to get things done.

Receptionist - I only asked because you didn't set an appointment.

Person - I have to set an appointment? To submit the papers?

Receptionist - Yes.

Person - I wasn't told that

Receptionist - eh, eh Oga shebi I just told you naa

Reaches over the desk and strangles Receptionist.

Receptionist - So are you setting appointment or not. I have to go for my break oh.

Person snaps out of fantasy of strangling receptionist and walks back to desk in resignation to make an appointment. Starts walking out of office

Receptionist (smiling sweetly) - Oga, you will just leave like that? You won't even give me something for weekend?

Door Banging.

10 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
ballabriggs: It is in naija I see people eat at fast food joints and won't dispose off in the bin. They leave it on the table and walk out of the restaurant.

Bravo bros, bravo! I thought I was the only one who had this kind of mentality.

I believe in leaving a place the way I met it. Even if I met it untidy, I would still leave it tidy for the next person to use but I've observed that majority of Nigerians don't even care; no consideration for the next person.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Venchy: 4:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
fr_evangel:

The issue is not just about the corporate environment. Its a Nigerian factor. We are very hostile people. Check the market women, the bus conductors/drivers, the okada riders, the attendants at a supermarket, your teacher, leaders and pastors in church, politicians, our parents, the police and soldier, the list is endless. I find it amazing that people who are running personal petty business are hostile to their customers. In Lagos BEGGARS are hostile when you don't give to them!!! And before I forget, just read through threads on NAIRALAND AND WITNESS HOW HOSTILE AND RUDE NIGERIANS ARE. Many just can't argue/disagree/make a point without name calling and insults!

My Broda you are killing with laughter...my colleagues are asking if everything is alright, I said to myself, only if you understand NIGERIAN FACTOR.

Pls don't mistakenly STEP on people while walking on the road....if you do, you'll see loads of aggressiveness with Venom.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by ymozay: 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2012
in nig must of Customers service employees are underpaid.4 exp, d telecom industry almost all the call center agents are outsourced(monkey dey work,bamboo dey chop),example of dis we see d airtel ABUJA call center crises in 2011,mtn call center strike wch lead 2d closure of d business in jos office.dis guys wrk shift bt are paid peanuts ,d mother company dnt c dem as part of its employees nd as such dy're nt entitled 2d benefits permanent staffs enjoy.we can't expect dis guy 2 give customers wonderful experiences wen everytin is wrong wt d way dy're percieved nd treated.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2012
ymozay: in nig must of Customers service employees are underpaid.4 exp, d telecom industry almost all the call center agents are outsourced(monkey dey work,bamboo dey chop),example of dis we see d airtel ABUJA call center crises in 2011,mtn call center strike wch lead 2d closure of d business in jos office.dis guys wrk shift bt are paid peanuts ,d mother company dnt c dem as part of its employees nd as such dy're nt entitled 2d benefits permanent staffs enjoy.we can't expect dis guy 2 give customers wonderful experiences wen everytin is wrong wt d way dy're percieved nd treated.
so you take it out on the customers?
if u are underpaid and are not happy,you leave the job,not become rude to anyone,if you cant leave the job and the job is your bread and butter then at leasT be grateful for it..
there is one policeman who is in wuse zone 7,conducting traffic,rain or shine he is dancing and immaculately dressed and smiling,he get gifts,he even got a car from the custom boss who passes him every day,
now if Policman decided he wants to leave the NPF,and join the Customs i bet the CG will be more than willing to take him in,however compare him to the drab and hostile police men who hit your car with batons,they have the same problem,employed in a corrupt system but they have different reactions,one is positive other is negative,postive gets positive things.long and short..
if you arent happy with your job,leave it,if you have no choice make the best use out of it
Dont blame anybody,blaming is a sign of aversion to Self Responsibility

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
Ola one: Nigerians find it difficult to use these words/phrases/clauses:
"Sir"
"Thank you"
"Sorry".
"You are welcome"

You forgot to include:
*Ma
*Please
*Excuse me
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 19, 2012
Because they can get away with it! Yes, Nigeria has a rude and aggressive culture but if you know you will get fired if you bring your aggression to work, you will leave it at home. If you know there will be mass boycott of your business due to poor customer service, you will step up. But when your boss won't hold you to task for your rudeness or bother to train you in proper customer service, no one complains to your boss or the same people who grumble about your rudeness will bring their friends and family to come and patronize your business the next day, then what reason do you have to change? Lack of accountability is the problem.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:02pm On Nov 19, 2012
Venchy:

Pls don't mistakenly STEP on people while walking on the road....if you do, you'll see loads of aggressiveness with Venom.

This stepping on people's toes can be of two dimensions:
1. The stepper may not even say sorry and pretend nothing happened thus making the steppee very angry and might transfer the anger to an innocent person.
2. The stepper say sorry respectfully but the steppee isn't accepting the apology and begins to abuse the stepper.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by ooua: 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2012
Sisi_Kill: @ OP
Welcome to the club!!

tongue
Sisi_Kill: @ OP
Welcome to the club!!

Laugh wan kill me. Proudly Niger

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by surveyProf(m): 5:15pm On Nov 19, 2012
I think it has to do with poor etiquette training on the part of top level management to the customer service department, despite dis department is one of the key position is any organisation!
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by franchizy(m): 5:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
The truth is that most of the ladies are too overipe for marriage and are not happy that they are single dats why they rude.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Elgaxton(m): 5:21pm On Nov 19, 2012
Simple answer. lack of training

Some bankers even eye and roll their eyes at customers.

Naija has a long way to go o
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by pinkylips1: 5:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
Poor educational background as well as firms hiring cheap labour.......a lot of firms don't take educational qualifications into consideration.....they would rather hire cheap labour which of course isn't the best.....even at that,the so called educated ones are also not better......for every time I come across such nasty attitude from those meant to offer good customer service,I instantly remind them that it is there job they are doing and not a favour or better still I immediately ask to see the supervisor or manager.....that triggers off a change of attitude immediately but really customer service in naija is so so poor.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by abohrandy: 5:38pm On Nov 19, 2012
[size=18pt]a hungry (wo)man is an angry (wo)man.[/size]
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Teejayphillip(m): 5:41pm On Nov 19, 2012
D word customer service as 2 du wif individual attitude... If a person as a bad attitude,n yet work in a customer service dept,tell me why such person won't b aggressive or insultive?

Nigeria mode of selectin customer agent,as 2 du wif individual qualification n achievement,which is nt properly zo.. N most times dis same pple we call customers, alzo ave dia own wayward attitude.. But dia's a sayin dat says 'Charity begins @ home' sum are trained properly,while sum ® nt trained well @ home,bur d buttom line is 'U gat Ur life in ur hands' train up ursef alzo..

Lemme gif U an example,durin my workin dayz in ecobank,a regular customer walked in2 d bank.Zo unfortunate 4 her,we had no network 2 du most transactions.. Due 2 d banks rules,dat we shuldnt disclose 2 any customer abt d system problems.I went 4rm time 2 time 2 go check on dem,n promise dem we ® workin on dia instrument.dey all stayed 4 more dan 1hr,cos dia branch were nt respondin ontime.. D woman jus start displayin,shoutin n ranting. Being d CSU of d branch,I walked 2 her ,n tell her we ® almost done,d next tin she did waz 2 slap me on d face.. I had no choice dan 2 kip smilin @ her,she left angrily n leta came bac 2 apologize...

Luk @ dat scenario,I waz really vex tu,bur being a CSU Wat example Am I gonna pass 2 my colleague n junior pass in d same ofiz...

Zo 2 me,customer service starts 4rm home... Customers are alwayz rite most times in naija bankin sector n dia's noin we can du abt dat
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by mrscolite(f): 5:44pm On Nov 19, 2012
Goldieluks: They do not have a proper customer service training. Plus they carry their baggages with them to their work place. Especially in those fast food joints when a guy goes with his girl, and the cashier is also female. You notice the cashier looking at the guy and girl with anger, and showing some nasty attitudes as if they are the cause of whatever predicament she's facing.

Some shop attendants behave as if they do not care about making profits off their businesses. They portray annoying body language, and some have the attitude of "if you are not ready to buy, leave my shop" some shop owners would even go to the extent of pouring insults and abuses on custormers. Nigeria has a long way to go.

Lmao..u r so on point. Sometimes ago I was at d tanti's at iyana-ipaja & this attendant was ranting about (silly girls) and their blackberry phones...the attitude was annoying!!! Like just do ur freaking JOB!
undecided
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
I used to ask the same question everytime I visit Nigeria but I kinda figured it out myself.

#1• • horrible bosses with no respect to their employees
#2 • • annoying rude asss customers
#3• • duh Nigeria herself is rude as hell, yea everybody back there. Always angry and frowning with some scary looking faces.
#5• • they don't even tip them lol
#6• • mucho trabajo con poco dinero lol

So don't blame them when someone tries to make your day horrible at work, in one way or the other you've gotta unleash you own anger on somebody.

They take a lot shit from the public . Bleep that customers are always right bullllshit.

Nigerians are rude as hell especially the men. Not just in Nigeria alone cuz ones in Houston Texas as arghhgg.

I have stores over there and have audio recording device attached to the cashier unit and lord u need to hear how they talk to the employee and only the Nigerian/hispanic employees take it from them without giving back some attitude. With their thick hug accent. The next thing you hear "iowantu seeah yooure manegar" lol

@ Op approach a customer service rep, sales person or whoever with manners and smiley face and tell us what you get in return.

Btw I have #5 without 4 smiley
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by xerxes456(m): 5:50pm On Nov 19, 2012
ballabriggs: Frustration!!!

Plenty work, small pay undecided

Besides sef the people wey you dey serve need iron hand. It is in naija I see people eat at fast food joints and won't dispose off in the bin. They leave it on the table and walk out of the restaurant.

Very rude!!! Na those kind people you go follow dey do courtesy? They need serious iron hand.

Operation fire for fire and not customer service make customer no go kill you. grin grin grin grin

Okay wait make I give you one scenario. You sabi say bus conductor work na for customer focused environment and e and driver suppose get customer service skill?

So after all the slap wey agbero go give you for bus stop, you go still dey act like gentleman? grin grin grin grin

You wey dey work as customer service rep for the organised firms sef na their bus you dey enter. So after you receive curses from conductor, you go still dey normal? After you drive for third mainland hold up, your head go still correct?

The best way to deal with customer for naija na too dey break bottle for their head, they need iron hand. undecided
kai guy I don laugh tire...
TRU TALK, but its not just a reflection of tye society, its also a reflection of the organisation, the receptionist or customer care attendant is a direct representative of the organisation to the client, when a customer care lacks manners U can conclude without making mistakes that the organisation is not going to meet ur needs at least d way it should b met, not to talk of the way U want it to b met... Once a customer care 4ks me up, I walk away from dat organisation, another reason why customer care misbehaves is because they don't av effective competitors...
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by mrscolite(f): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
tongue
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by mrscolite(f): 5:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
franchizy: The truth is that most of the ladies are too overipe for marriage and are not happy that they are single dats why they rude.

undecidednd the men have really small d(I)icks that's y they are depressed& rude

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 19, 2012
abohrandy: [size=18pt]a hungry (wo)man is an angry (wo)man.[/size]

Dumbass what makes you think all customer care reps are all women?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Sheuns(m): 6:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
Most of there rude attitudes are caused by age difference,marital status,class difference(rich to the poor or average) and some employers. Many of people that fall in groups(especially age difference and some employers) they may say "........after-all i'm older than you" or "i employed you". Its just most nigerians mentality.
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Sheuns(m): 6:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
REALITY101:

Dumbass what makes you think all customer care reps are all women?
this is an example of rude and impolite behavior.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
The attitude of customer service peronnel is a reflection of the sorry state of our country. So I don't blame them at all. Put yourself in their shoes and you will see yourself behaving the same way. Attitude is a choice. You can look beyond the turmoils of everday living in our country and exude positive energy that is felt by all and sundry.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Theblessed(f): 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2012
[size=16pt]Because, Nigerians are aggressive people, can't you see that?

Men and women alike are aggressive and intimidating - aren't you aware of this fact?

Then look deep, you will notice - it's in the blood!!! grin grin grin
[/size]
Re: Why Is Customer Service In Nigeria So Aggressive? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
Sheuns: this is an example of rude and impolite behavior.

Oh yeah baby that's how we roll! I'm customer servicing at that joint next to you apartment

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Man Singlehandedly Turned His Village To City In Anambra / Skye Bank’s Takeover Saved 6,000 Jobs, N949bn Deposits – NDIC / Oil Price Slumps To $46 Amid Brexit Concerns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.