Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question (1284 Views)

7 Days Ultimatum For Ikenna To Quit / Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question by infolpf: 11:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
Hello guys! Could someone tell me what the mercedes recommended interval is for changing the timing belt / chain on a 2002 G500?
I have only 62K miles on it now, and it is regularly maintained otherwise. Can't seem to find it on google.

TIA!
Re: Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question by sultaan(m): 12:47am On Nov 11, 2012
Its a timing chain, can last a long time, don't mess with it.Enjoy your car, the first day your Nigerian mechanic opens anything is the beginning of the end. The only exception is serpentine belt when it starts screeching change it before it dumps you in the middle of nowhere.
Re: Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question by infolpf: 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
Thanks, Sultaan!
So no preventive maintenance recommended on this one?
Re: Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question by sultaan(m): 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2012
Just go by users manual, if you don't have one get very familiar with these sites.

http://fourbyfourclub.com/Manual.htm

For your how to manuals, and

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/

For owners experience, can't afford one but can share how I get to understand autos.
Re: Siena, Ikenna, Sultaan Et Al - Mercedes G500 Question by Trac: 7:05am On Nov 21, 2012
Those links won't help diagnose/troubleshoot. An understanding of how Mercedes gas engine works is what will help you. Diagnosing an MB issue is not as you would diagnose a BMW or an Acura. No experience or understanding, you make things worse and end in frustration and have a fancy heap of metal in the driveway. Some services will require a reset of certain parts within a family. Some parts will have to be hard-coded to the car itself, so you will need an MB handtool (or whatever it is called); some parts are never to be replaced. You can't just take a tyre out to access certain portions of the car and perform service and put it pack as though nothing has to be accounted for any further. You will get issues and an error that will not tell you that you omitted due practice. The normal thing the untrained will do is to start buying parts and replacing and the whole thing gets convoluted. Get a qualified mechanic that is familiar and has experience with MB's. Everything has to be right and to spec unless you will have an undependable vehicle.

What you should be worried about (assuming the odometer was rolled back) is an MB code 1100 or 1200 (something like that - I can't truly remember) for the 113 motor (which is what you have). It is worse for the 350/550's. It is a camshaft error code. If this ever occurs, do not replace the cam sensors. It is time to take the engine apart and do some serious work. This is the least concern for you because you don't have the 112 engine (320). I am not familiar with the 113 motor and their issues but it is an unforgiving engine when anything is out of tolerance or a wrong/incomplete procedure is done.

Find a qualified mechanic. Pneumatics is also a must when working on any Mercedes because it is extensively used in design. It is a very complicated vehicle and it is compounded when an amateur is done working on it and procedures where omitted.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice Pls. Wana Sell My Infiniti To Buy A Toyota Venza / Aeromobil The Flying Car [PHOTOS] / What Do You Think About The 2015 Volvo XC90?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.