Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,884 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? (7340 Views)

Would Nigeria Be Bad As It Is Now If Goodluck Johnathan Was Still In Power / President Buhari Was Misquoted: Like An Old Wine,he Gets Better With Age- Adesin / In Event Of World War 3, Would Nigeria Be A Safe Country To Reside? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

Original Poster: Is it better to be tall if one wants to be a pro NBA player?

Ekt_bear: Yes, it is.

BetaThings: But the tallest man in the world is not in the NBA. Therefore, being tall is not helpful in basketball.

the most successful (non resource)state in nigeria is lagos - and that state is a melting pot
the most successfulcompanies in nigeria are heterogenous.

congo is one religion, not sure about tribe
ditto for somalia
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by dridowu: 2:07pm On Nov 10, 2012
adonisyung: h0w can U̶̲̥̅̊ understand sm1 U̶̲̥̅̊ d0nt understand his language?
let me use question to answer u " HOW DO WE UNDERSTAND SOMEONE WHO IS DEAF AND DUMB ? "
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by ektbear: 2:22pm On Nov 10, 2012
@oyb:

1. But that a major city is a melting pot doesn't suggest that the country would be better off if it were multi-ethnic, multi-religious.

Germany has Berlin after all. The US has New York City. The UK has London. All three quite diverse...but all three nations are run by a majority tribe.

2. Yes, companies are unlikely to be racially/ethnically homogeneous. The objective in hiring in a corporation is to maximize the amount of talent I buy subject to a budgetary constraint. Since every ethnic group has talented people, it would be self-defeating to spend my $X of payroll only looking at members of ethnic group Y, since that won't maximize the talent I buy.

But, how is this an argument in favor of diversity, in and of itself? Let's pretend that the US were 100% homogenous. Here are two ways for this hypothetical white US to increase diversity:
a) It would be advantageous to allow talented immigrants from abroad to migrate into the US, for reasons similar to the corporate example you gave.
b) hypothetical 100% white US merges with culturally distinct 100% mestizo Mexico

(a) is clearly advantageous. (b) doesn't seem wise to me, nor does its correctness as a strategy follow from (a).
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by EagleNest(m): 3:41pm On Nov 10, 2012
of course, one language, culture and religion is always the best when a nation is at building stage.
Diversity becomes a strength after the nation is built already, otherwise it hardly work.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Dede1(m): 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2012
oyb:

the most successful (non resource)state in nigeria is lagos - and that state is a melting pot
the most successfulcompanies in nigeria are heterogenous.

congo is one religion, not sure about tribe
ditto for somalia

Take away the federal government of Nigeria’s single-handed approach in building Lagos, the so-called Lagos state would have been a swampy piece of junk and part of Ogun State or Ijebu Ode State.

@OP

The answer to your question is YES. Nigeria would have been better with one tribe and religion.

1 Like

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by damilolaandrew: 4:36pm On Nov 10, 2012
This post reminds me of one of nigeria finest Visual Artist of note who did a painting titled: Unity in our diversity.

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by damilolaandrew: 4:41pm On Nov 10, 2012
some other impressive art piece by this Visual Artist Ayeola Ayodeji Awizzy (http://www.ayeola.com/... http://www.awizzy.net)

Nude painting by ayeola ayodeji abiodun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MAAP5PYBw

oko baba landscape painting by ayeola ayodeji abiodun awizzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hfbJJkQyT0

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Revolva(m): 5:31pm On Nov 10, 2012
adonisyung: I feel the reason for the problems Nigeria is facing is tribalism and religion....

Do you think it would be better if we all were of the same tribe and same religion?
Look its true but even with the same tribe and religion there is still gonna be problem as long as mankind is concern there will be poor and rich. And it will start bringing another wahala and casts may evolve that's may be the new racism or religion
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Litmus: 5:53pm On Nov 10, 2012
Yes, Nigeria would be better with only one tribe.

This is why:

Corruption in the political and business world only exist in Nigeria why? well, because of tribe. America is said to be the ethnically most divers nation in the world but its successes has much to do with the dynamism and approach brought about by the different ways of thinking and doing things of these different people as well as the dynamism of immigrant aspirations. Note, America is ethnically divers not tribally divers.

Nigeria brought corruption to the world as stated earlier. It is our Tribal diversity that brought about this corruption which is devastating the world right now. From the world financial crises to militant Islam influencing the Iran-America cold war, Syria, Pakistan up to those lands which lye across the Gulf of Aden.

The glory of Life in a one Tribe Nigeria.

In a one tribe Nigeria, there will be no unemployment:

Tribalism is the only reason unemployment exist.Turn up as a graduate or none graduate for any job and you will get that Job regardless of the fact that you may not be the best qualified, not related to people in the Job, competing against a hundred other people for the one vacancy. The friends, family and extended family members of people in positions of power will no longer be considered first for posts in the foreign service and other miscellaneous government jobs or appointments.

There will be no poverty:

Yoda might say, 'Corruption leads to bad government; suffering of the people, this causes'. In a one Tribe Nation, everywhere you look people skip along crying, callooh-callay, with contentment. People would no longer have cause to travel in search of Better, which is just as well, because you may be surrounded by other Tribal Nations created in the disintegration talks or wars that brought about your single tribe Nation in the first place. Border crossings will become a thing of the past, why would i ever want to cross over to the lands of the people i spent decades trying to get away from?. You'd be living in self-sufficient Nation. You'd win everything in Sports. Sickness will become a thing of the past.

Ethnic diversity (sorry) tribal diversity prevents things from working, look at Somalia. Somalia has more tribes than Nigeria. In fact,you will find that any Nation in the world,past of present, bevelled by strife, had or has more tribes than Nigeria.

Hunger will fade as people return to the land, which they abandoned due to the monoculture of Cash Crops caused by Tribal Diversity. The Ghanaian, South African, Senegalese and others come on Niraland daily to tell you that they have never faced racism or prejudice because they are not Nigerians. So you will never again face racism, travel anywhere and if you're maltreated, simply say, I'm from Isokoland,not Tribally divers Nigeria, and your persecutor will stop and say, 'Eh, you're not from Nigeria? Hay bring out the red carpet,
this guy no longer qualifies as black, he is Isokolandian'. Likewise,you can act as you like in Saudi and never fear beheading. You need never fear being thrown out of a last floor Chinese vanity skyscraper , those ones that figuratively scrape clouds.

Yeah, you get the picture.....
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by FreeGlobe(f): 5:55pm On Nov 10, 2012
only one religion. YES!!!!!!! 2 dominating religions a no..no. tribe depends on the people, for instance, an hausa without islam will be a perfect match for igbos.. Yarobas are best fitted for benin republic.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 10, 2012
Yeah have one tribe and religion, but put corrupt people in office. Let me see how you all would progress. Nigeria's problems is as a result of the corruptible olodos you have in government.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by ohzee(f): 6:54pm On Nov 10, 2012
uceee: The singular worst problem Nigeria has is our cultural and religious diversity. We have very different orientations. What do we even have in common? That is why there is no sense of nationhood or a collective purpose to excel. Most would say the problem is our government, but our government is just a very clear reflection of the people. Everybody wants what is best for himself, his family and his tribe in that order. Who then wants what is best for Nigeria? Nobody.
. I totally agree. I attended a federal school and we all spoke only one language: English. We didn't remember tribe or even religion when we made friends. I am one of the people who believe that we would be better off if we were homogenous. Diversity will always breed suspicion and corruption.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by duni04(m): 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2012
First off, there is no such thing as a Homogeneous country. Its in our human nature to always create chasms within ourselves. Even within a totally homogeneous group, people will always find ways of further stratifying society in one way or the other. Even the Arabs, a distinct and homogeneous race, have created sunni and Shia branches within themselves to further partition themselves. It's plain human nature. The problem is not homogeneity or heterogeneity, its how we look beyond these differences and forge ahead for the greater good. IMO, the most successful countries in the world are those that have been able to look beyond their diversities to form really incredible and successful societies. America, Britain and the rest of the Western world are examples of this.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Mekanze: 9:51pm On Nov 10, 2012
I think I will say dat is better with one tribe. e. g look at Yoruba people they have multiple religion yet they live in peace with one another. Again come to think of it if Igbo as a nation on their own one tribe one religion I think the difference will be clear.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Callotti: 10:03pm On Nov 10, 2012
It would not have made any difference.
Material and spiritual poverty would have still made the only common denominator! kiss
IBORI was still sent on exile by his own URHOBO/ITSEKIRI brothers so they could chop!
Bola Ige was assassinated by his own YORUBA BROTHERS! kiss
Boko Haram is destroying their own Northern villages! kiss
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by NovusHomo(m): 12:09am On Nov 11, 2012
Nairaland topics are getting sillier by the day. Which country in the world has only one tribe if not one language?
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 11, 2012
No!

People will find other ways to divide themselves cheesy

Light skin vs Dark skin

Real xxxx vs half-caste vs fake xxxx

South vs North

xxxx dialect vs xxxx dialect.

It's human nature.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by thrugemaster(m): 3:44am On Nov 11, 2012
i do not know how good, but nigeria will be far better than that what it is a the moment
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 4:25am On Nov 11, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
No!

People will find other ways to divide themselves cheesy

Light skin vs Dark skin

Real xxxx vs half-caste vs fake xxxx

South vs North

xxxx dialect vs xxxx dialect.

It's human nature.

Nice Reply my Queen.
kiss
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by cjrane: 7:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
thrugemaster: i do not know how good, but nigeria will be far better than that what it is a the moment

Nigeria would have been better if it were a confederation of states. Similar to the United Kingdom.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by BetaThings: 2:30am On Nov 16, 2012
ekt_bear:

Original Poster: Is it better to be tall if one wants to be a pro NBA player?

Ekt_bear: Yes, it is.

BetaThings: But the tallest man in the world is not in the NBA. Therefore, being tall is not helpful in basketball.
But being short is helpful?
What is the average height of the NBA players? What is the average height of Americans?
And yes, what is the average height of the basketball team to which that tallest person belongs?

What has this got to do with your statement that homogeneity is better

When you try this type of crooked argument, you diminish the vale of your contribution

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo And The Governance Of Lagos / Biafra And The Yearnings Of The Niger Delta / PDM Chairman Begs Tribunal To Remove Party From Petition Against Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.