Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,447 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Igbo learning thread + Translator - Culture (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo learning thread + Translator (229145 Views)

Translator / Looking For A Calabar Translator / Online English To Igbo Translator ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by achi4u(m): 11:44pm On Aug 31, 2013
^^^
You are right!
Je ka O la gi O'tu

but use rubber maka ur life.

#hope u are learning
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:27am On Sep 01, 2013
HotNaijaBabe: Cheiii! I'm so enjoying this thread.... BTW, all the Igbo people in Lagos should be flogged oh! They speak diluted Igbo undecided

I'm following this thread. I'm not Igbo but my Bf is and I want to surprise him with what I have learned here when he wakes up tomorrow...lol

Erm... so far I have learned, Bia la m'otu.. undecided which should mean... Come and give me something! Am I right?

See ur mouth;who taught you that dirty language ?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 01, 2013
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 01, 2013
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 01, 2013
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:29pm On Sep 01, 2013
HotNaijaBabe:

How can it be dirty when it leads to something sweet. Can't wait to see the look on my baby's face when I tell him ' Bia la m'otu '... grin

He probably won't understand what you were saying due to accent...lol. I myself have never used that phrase with my Ogoli,eventhough I am a dirty talker. You rarely heard the Igbo use that phrase. It sound so perverted,so, I will advice you to start with phrases like "iligo nni"(have you eaten),"kedu ife na ewe gi"(why are you sad/angry),"kedu ebe ino"(where are you),"uche gi adikwia"(do you understand),"acholum ifu gi"(I wanna see you),"mee osiso"(hurry up),"kedu maka ezi n' uno gi"(how is your family),"kedu ife icholu ka ayi mee"(what do you want us to do),"ka ayi fu ofuebe"(let's meet somewhere) and so on. Don't start learning the dirty ones,first.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:32pm On Sep 01, 2013
HotNaijaBabe:

O gini? Pls translate your comment to Igbo!

He said, "I'm fed up" and "terrific". I guess,you know why...lol
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Afam4eva(m): 12:34pm On Sep 01, 2013
HotNaijaBabe:

Yes I am... BTW, what is condom in Igbo?

And Happy New Month in Igbo?
I think condom in Igbo is doncom grin
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 10:49pm On Sep 02, 2013
I'm working on a writing project and would appreciate it if someone gave me some Ukwuani names.

Some that I already have are: Nwabuife, Udodili, and Ossai. Please be sure to specify the gender.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
Which people say "kiri" for "see/look"?

And which people say "anunwa" for "this"?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Antivirus92(m): 4:40am On Sep 06, 2013
odumchi: Which people say "kiri" for "see/look"?

And which people say "anunwa" for "this"?
kiri is not specific to any people. Anybody can say "ihe/ife nkiri" or "bia kirie ife na-eme ebea". My town use "anunwa" and "afu" interchangably.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by AndreUweh(m): 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think condom in Igbo is doncom grin
Condom-Okpu nnabụenyi, or in short okpu.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 8:58pm On Sep 06, 2013
Antivirus92: kiri is not specific to any people. Anybody can say "ihe/ife nkiri" or "bia kirie ife na-eme ebea". My town use "anunwa" and "afu" interchangably.

Oh ok. So is it a northern Igbo thing?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 5:46pm On Oct 03, 2013
How many meanings does the term 'izo azo' have in northern dialects? I've heard it used in so many ways.

Ex:

Izo eze azo - to be crowned king?
Izo nmadu azo - to save someone.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 11:31am On Oct 04, 2013
odumchi: How many meanings does the term 'izo azo' have in northern dialects? I've heard it used in so many ways.

Ex:

Izo eze azo - to be crowned king?
Izo nmadu azo - to save someone.

It occurs in every language including English.
E.g 'show' means to lead or guide and a concert or airing of a Tv/radio programme.
Same with Igbo,
Izo - to save
Izo - to contest/battle for something.
This is where the suffixes matter.
Now you use
Izo (puta) - to save
Izo (ala/eze/ihe) azo - To battle for land/kingship/a thing unspecified (respectively)
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by manny4life(m): 2:05pm On Oct 04, 2013
Antivirus92: it means 'akuzina asiri,jee balu onwe gi uru'. Thanks for asking.

LOL cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2013
Eze Promoe:
It occurs in every language including English.
E.g 'show' means to lead or guide and a concert or airing of a Tv/radio programme.
Same with Igbo,
Izo - to save
Izo - to contest/battle for something.
This is where the suffixes matter.
Now you use
Izo (puta) - to save
Izo (ala/eze/ihe) azo - To battle for land/kingship/a thing unspecified (respectively)

Thank you for explaining the meaning. The reason I asked is because it doesn't exist in our lexicon in my part of ali Igbo.

In my dialect:

Ido (pusa) - to save.
Ido (ali/eze/ihe) - to dispute over something.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Antivirus92(m): 10:05pm On Oct 04, 2013
odumchi:

Thank you for explaining the meaning. The reason I asked is because it doesn't exist in our lexicon in my part of ali Igbo.

In my dialect:

Ido (pusa) - to save.
Ido (ali/eze/ihe) - to dispute over something.
can't u just see that it is a difference in dialect. Just difference of " d" and "z". Or do u want to magnify it as usual?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 10:20pm On Oct 04, 2013
Antivirus92: can't u just see that it is a difference in dialect. Just difference of " d" and "z". Or do u want to magnify it as usual?

Who asked your input in this? I kpuru isi? Or could you not see that I did not realize that because I did not know what 'izo eze azo' meant?

Biko, dowe onu gi ndo. Ekuu gi nwa.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Antivirus92(m): 7:52am On Oct 05, 2013
odumchi:

Who asked your input in this? I kpuru isi? Or could you not see that I did not realize that because I did not know what 'izo eze azo' meant?

Biko, dowe onu gi ndo. Ekuu gi nwa.
zuo ike nwokem! You are fond of asking silly questions just suit that ur imaginery south,north,east and western igbo.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 3:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
So this is the height of your paranoia? A person can no longer ask questions about lectal differences without having their motives questioned.

Look, if you want to let yourself be controlled by your own paranoia over "division", fine. Just don't attempt to use that to get in the way of another's desire to grow and learn.

A simple "it doesn't exist in my lexicon" (meaning, "I'm unfamiliar with the usage" ) and your mind starts reeling. I find this predisposition very annoying.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Antivirus92(m): 7:23pm On Oct 05, 2013
ChinenyeN: So this is the height of your paranoia? A person can no longer ask questions about lectal differences without having their motives questioned.

Look, if you want to let yourself be controlled by your own paranoia over "division", fine. Just don't attempt to use that to get in the way of another's desire to grow and learn.

A simple "it doesn't exist in my lexicon" (meaning, "I'm unfamiliar with the usage" ) and your mind starts reeling. I find this predisposition very annoying.
he should ask reasonable question. Simple as that. I don't care about how u feel about it.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 4:00am On Oct 06, 2013
Antivirus92: he should ask reasonable question. Simple as that. I don't care about how u feel about it.

You do know that no one is forcing you to respond to my questions, o kwa ya? If you don't like them, simply log off of Nairaland and find something else to do with your time.

Or in the Owerri man's words: onye shi ala Owerri arii ya nma, ya kwara puma. Biri nga m awuu n'ikike.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by achi4u(m): 7:25am On Oct 06, 2013
^^^

ruforufogrin

abeg make una no fight we're to learn. bikonu
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 2:06am On Oct 10, 2013
Can someone help me translate the first 30 seconds of this song? His Owere dialect is very thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYkNtHm-yQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DecYkNtHm-yQ

What I think he said:
Onye ya na nwanne ya na n'uyo gbakwanuma ari nma ka onye no n'ama. Eji eshi uyo mara nma fuma gbo ari nma ke nde ezhi atugbola mu ujo. Something I couldn't decipher. Amaa onye wu nwanne gi ga so bema."

This is what I think it means:
When you're at home with your brother, act as you would act if you were outside in the presence of others. Because when I come out of a calm household, the trouble I see in others scares me. No one knows who is a brother (something about crying).
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ginky: 7:09am On Oct 10, 2013
Ds is for d igbo pips...Please what is "ke kosi eje " in english
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:20am On Oct 10, 2013
ginky: Ds is for d igbo pips...Please what is "ke kosi eje " in english

It can mean: "how is he/she/it going?" or "how is he/she/it doing?".
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ketoprofen(m): 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Eze Promoe, where are u from?

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (46) (Reply)

Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.