Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,122 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Igbo learning thread + Translator - Culture (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo learning thread + Translator (229202 Views)

Translator / Looking For A Calabar Translator / Online English To Igbo Translator ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ezeagu(m): 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
The Google translation doesn't run on a team of Google coders inputting entries, it relies on the contribution of the crowd, which means that their translations are from 'layman' contributors and each contribution is analysed and weighed by the system for relevancy and consistency. Ultimately, when translated terms are overwhelming preferred by a group of random contributors, the systems picks these translations as the best suggested terms to everyone, which is why you are able to click on a word/s and change it to another suggestion in a list of related translations.

If you pay even more attention you will realise that you are able to edit the translated results by typing in the correction. If enough people correct a translated entry it the system will become partial to that correction and will suggest it automatically when a query is ran.

This is how all the language translation work is done by Google, although I expect there to be more administration of major Western/Eastern languages. This was the same reason Google opened up a test for the language before they went on the main translator. This means over time the translations should get better (and more diverse) as more people contribute.

If you have a Google account you can also make your own translations into many languges including Igbo here: http://translate.google.com/toolkit
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 5:08am On Jan 08, 2014
Even Onitsha during the Biafran war was livelier than this thread is now.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Antivirus92(m): 7:14am On Jan 08, 2014
odumchi: Even Onitsha during the Biafran war was livelier than this thread is now.

grin happy new year
odumchi: Even Onitsha during the Biafran war was livelier than this thread is now.

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2014

Thanks for sharing that link.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2014
Antivirus92: grin happy new year

Nnaa, ezigbo afo ohuru.

Eze Promoe:
Thanks for sharing that link.

Link ole?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2014
odumchi:

Link ole?
Check Ezeagu's post above.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Adesiji77: 9:12am On Sep 23, 2014
This thread needs reactivation smiley

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by gold3n(f): 5:06pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ndeewo!!

I shall be referring to this thread in my quest to learn correct igbo before d end of this year. Onye nkuzi Igbo, dalu oo! Ana m asu igbo obere. Chukwu gozie gi!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 12:37am On Mar 27, 2015
Could anyone help me with the meaning of the name Chukwujekwu?

At first glance, I thought of it as "Chukwu ji ekwu" meaning "God (habitually) says", but on second thought, the use of 'ji' as a replacement of 'na' to express a habitual nature is unique to southern Igbo, whereas Chukwujekwu is a name that's mainly popular in the north.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by bigfrancis21: 5:04am On Mar 27, 2015
odumchi:
Could anyone help me with the meaning of the name Chukwujekwu?

At first glance, I thought of it as "Chukwu ji ekwu" meaning "God (habitually) says", but on second thought, the use of 'ji' as a replacement of 'na' to express a habitual nature is unique to southern Igbo, whereas Chukwujekwu is a name that's mainly popular in the north.

It means, 'God walk unto'. In Igbo, 'jekwu' means 'to walk/go up to' or 'meet someone'. Ie 'jekwu nwanyi afu no na mgbago ebe nni, welu ife a nye ya', 'nne gi abiago. Ngwa, nee ya jekwulu, rapu m aka'.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 6:15am On Mar 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It means, 'God walk unto me'. In Igbo, 'jekwu' means 'to walk/go up to' or 'meet someone'. Ie 'jekwu nwanyi afu no na mgbago ebe nni, welu ife a nye ya', 'nne gi abiago. Ngwa, nee ya jekwulu, rapu m aka'.

Thanks so much, Nwanna.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Cyberknight: 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2015
odumchi:
Even Onitsha during the Biafran war was livelier than this thread is now.

O buru n'o bu eriri ndi ozo a na-ahukari nga ndi na-egosi uyo ma o bu moto ndi n'egu egwu ma o bu ndi na-aputa na film, eriri a ga na-esu ka stadium.
O kp'uwa ri ugbulaka. Okwa unu na-ahu ihe kpatara k'otutu ndi mmadu na-ekwu n'asusu Igbo na ha anwu nwiyo nwiyo.

Unu anwuchula.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 8:19pm On Mar 28, 2015
Cyberknight:

O buru n'o bu eriri ndi ozo a na-ahukari nga ndi na-egosi uyo ma o bu moto ndi n'egu egwu ma o bu ndi na-aputa na film, eriri a ga na-esu ka stadium.
O kp'uwa ri ugbulaka. Okwa unu na-ahu ihe kpatara k'otutu ndi mmadu na-ekwu n'asusu Igbo na ha anwu nwiyo nwiyo.

Unu anwuchula.

Ihe mere eme. Ugbua anyi aga eme kwanu gini? Anyi aga echenye ndi madu egbe n'isi ma ha gata bia ebe a? Nke kadi ewe m iwe bu otu a anoo noo ndi ukwu na oha, ya bunu Ndi "Okwu Igbo gaje inwu taa m'o echi", abia gbawa akwara olu. Ugbua ije eruola na ojije, ole ebe ha yechara isi?

I si na anyi anwuchile? Ndi foro afo n'ime anyi, ha ha kwanu otu ole? Ndi nwuchihalere anwuchihaala kemgbe gboo. O mere umere naani mu na gi na Dee Bigfrancis na mkpuru ndi madu ole na ole ndi ozo ka foro. Ike gwuru.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 8:52pm On Mar 28, 2015
odumchi:
but on second thought, the use of 'ji' as a replacement of 'na' to express a habitual nature is unique to southern Igbo.

See you giving away southern Igbo lexical secrets like it's no big deal.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 1:11am On Mar 29, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Harawa. Ta m jide kwa ogwe m gi hara ikpo m ikpe Okonko. lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Cyberknight: 8:25am On Mar 29, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Ezigbo ChinenyeN, ndewo,

Biko iwe ewela gi, nini bu "southern Igbo" ozo?

Ka nka.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2015
O bu just a generally accepted term used to identify Igbo-speaking groups that are geographically southward and share peculiar cultural and linguistic features.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 3:58am On Apr 23, 2015
Nde nk'anyi, what's the meaning of the phrase "igba ncha"?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 23, 2015
odumchi:

You mean "Igbo ncha"? ('o' with a dot underneath)

It means to masturbate.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 8:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
Radoillo:

It means to masturbate.

Oh wow. It was actually "Igba ncha" that I heard, but after searching the term through the nairaland search tool, I ran across both terms and considering their contexts, your translation seems very appropriate. Deede, I meela.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 23, 2015
odumchi:

Oh wow. It was actually "Igba ncha" that I heard, but after searching the term through the nairaland search tool, I ran across both terms and considering their contexts, your translation seems very appropriate. Deede, I meela.

Nsogbu adighi.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by bigfrancis21: 10:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
odumchi:
Radoillo:

It means to masturbate.

Igba ncha/Igbo ncha are correct. Igbo ncha is more common in Enugu/Anambra axis and Igba ncha in Owerri-Aba axis. During my secondary school days in Owerri, my classmates all said 'igba ncha', but when my cousins came from 'Enugu', they said 'igbo ncha' instead. During my university days in Enugu, it was 'igbo ncha' I heard most often.

Igbo ncha means 'self-service'. It also means 'to produce foam'. There's a popular phrase among Enugu Igbo speakers: 'isi agbo ncha' which literally means 'a tough hair/head that cannot produce foam when soap is rubbed on it'.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 9:54am On Apr 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igba ncha/Igbo ncha are correct. Igbo ncha is more common in Enugu/Anambra axis and Igba ncha in Owerri-Aba axis. During my secondary school days in Owerri, my classmates all said 'igba ncha', but when my cousins came from 'Enugu', they said 'igbo ncha' instead. During my university days in Enugu, it was 'igbo ncha' I heard most often.

Igbo ncha means 'self-service'. It also means 'to produce foam'. There's a popular phrase among Enugu Igbo speakers: 'isi agbo ncha' which literally means 'a tough hair/head that cannot produce from when soap is rubbed on it'.

Deede, ka I siri were nwayo kowazie ya ka o wee doo m anya ofuma atogbuola m. I meela!
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 10:02am On Apr 24, 2015
Since we're still on the matter, does anyone know the meaning of the names 'Ezeoke' and 'Nsofo'?

I believe someone once translated the latter as 'taboo of Ofo day', but I don't find that particularly satisfactory. What do you guys think?

[size=5pt]Ama m na ana m ajukari ajuju, mana onye ajuju adighi efu uzo. grin[/size]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 24, 2015
odumchi:
Since we're still on the matter, does anyone know the meaning of the names 'Ezeoke' and 'Nsofo'?

I believe someone once translated the latter as 'taboo of Ofo day', but I don't find that particularly satisfactory. What do you guys think?

[size=5pt]Ama m na ana m ajukari ajuju, mana onye ajuju adighi efu uzo. grin[/size]

Ezeoke literally means 'king among men'. However, as I believe it could possibly be the shortened form of a longer name, the meaning might alter considerably if it's longer form is known.

Nsofo means (...this is not so easy to translate...) 'sacrosanct or forbidden by the Ofo', the ritual staff.

Since one who holds the Ofo is supposed to be blameless - keep his hand 'straight' as they say, the name implies something like 'living righteously', as one keeping the 'nso' (the don'ts, if you like) of the Ofo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 10:27am On Apr 25, 2015
Radoillo:

Ezeoke literally means 'king among men'. However, as I believe it could possibly be the shortened form of a longer name, the meaning might alter considerably if it's longer form is known.

Nsofo means (...this is not so easy to translate...) 'sacrosanct or forbidden by the Ofo', the ritual staff.

Since one who holds the Ofo is supposed to be blameless - keep his hand 'straight' as they say, the name implies something like 'living righteously', as one keeping the 'nso' (the don'ts, if you like) of the Ofo.

Ah, I see. I completely understand what you mean. Thank you again.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:11am On May 17, 2015
Which areas typically greet "I mere anaa?" (centralized: I mere otu ole) or used the term 'anaa'?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Cyberknight: 9:10am On May 17, 2015
odumchi:
Which areas typically greet "I mere anaa?" (centralized: I mere otu ole) or used the term 'anaa'?

That's heard in the Owere/Ngor-Okpala area,I believe. "I mena kp'ole?" is what we would use in my area, however.
"Olia?" is also a common greeting there, which could be loosely translated as "How you dey?"
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:21pm On May 17, 2015
Cyberknight:

That's heard in the Owere/Ngor-Okpala area,I believe. "I mena kp'ole?" is what we would use in my area, however.
"Olia?" is also a common greeting there, which could be loosely translated as "How you dey?"

Hmm. Really? That's quite interesting. I thought "I mena kp'ole" was already the standard greeting in the Owere/Ngor-Okpala/Urata area. Where exactly is your area, if I may ask?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:48pm On May 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It means, 'God walk unto'. In Igbo, 'jekwu' means 'to walk/go up to' or 'meet someone'. Ie 'jekwu nwanyi afu no na mgbago ebe nni, welu ife a nye ya', 'nne gi abiago. Ngwa, nee ya jekwulu, rapu m aka'.

Guy,this is wrong; "Chukwu ja ekwu" in my Idenmili dialect means "God will speak". And that's what the name means not the definition you gave above. However,"Chukwu jekwuu" which you are mixing with the given means "God walks to". This is actually a common name in Idenmili and my little cousins name. "ja/je" is a common word in Idenmili meaning will/shall. Examples...Ayi ye je....we will go. Ija abia....will you come? Oja eme....it will happen. Ojafu afu...soon,he will see.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:52pm On May 17, 2015
odumchi:

I don't know about "imere" but Idenmili use "aghaa",which means whats up. Like di/diokpa ayi aghaa?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (46) (Reply)

Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.