Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, (15437 Views)

FG Asks States To Ban Okada Operations / Fashola Blames Okada For Damoche’s Murder / Lagos To Ban Okada, Fashola’s Committee Endorses Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by lekkie073(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
we the stakeholders of development in lagos will proudly send all okada riders in our state to oshiomole. those of u sympathising with d okada riders in lagos can as well follow them to edo to start a new life....ciao!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by igbonla(m): 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2012
Oshiomole is very correct but he should have added that the visions of Lagos and Edo states are not the same. No pun intended but Edo is still kinda rural with fewer vehicles plying the roads!
Nobody builds a megacity with okada as a preferred means of transportation, I appreciate Fashola discussing plans and options for the "retired" okada riders, it is up to them to explore those opportunities.

The emotional reaction is understandable but we all deserve a decent society.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by 360command: 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2012
ifyalways: I don't care about his statement but when it comes to road network and infrastructure, Oshi baba beats Fashola and all "ban okada" governors.

At the end of the day, all man is doing what he deems best for his state but in due time, the end would justify the just. cheesy

What, am i reading clearly! is it not that city that has totally failed in transforming its ancient city in a well modernized ancient city? is it not that city where the ground is filled with red soils or red sands(dusty particles). Is it not that city where pot holes na b00by traps. Is it not that city, whenever it rains, the water(flood) occupies the ground floor of peoples homes even in the GRA premises.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by lekkie073(m): 3:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
360command:

What, am i reading clearly! is it not that city that has totally failed in transforming its ancient city in a well modernized ancient city? is it not that city where the ground is filled with red soils or red sands(dusty particles). Is it not that city where pot holes na booby traps. Is it not that city, whenever it rains, the water(flood) occupies the ground floor of peoples homes even in the GRA premises.
yeh, its dat city, its called benin city
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by tevinsolt: 3:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
this guy is not foreseeing into the future.....what Lagos is doing right now, will catalyses the city to develop in the coming years. people should start getting used to laws, a country without rules experiences ruins
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Syenite(m): 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
pato405:

how? where are the road networks and infrastructures you talk about in Edo? angry Ring road? undecided to compare Benin & Lagos is a big joke! Edo is no where near Lagos in all ramifications. I doubt if you'v been to Edo state.

they hold all the cards when it comes to deluding Nigerians. Osho, just like the others, know very well that to deceive the masses, al you need to do is sound altruistic as if you have their interest at heart. very gullible masses who have refused to use their noggin in logical and rational thinking. Edo has got no roads and gully erosion isn't making matters any easy for them. apparently, only bikes can possibly cope. Edo hasnt got road networks. talk of states with good road network not ridden by pot-holes, then go to Sokoto.
I grew up in lagos and lived in and visited several cities in nigeria and currently I live in benin.I can assure u dat benin may not have d widest of roads or fly-overs but dey have d best road connectivity in nigeria.it is a well planned city. What d gov needs is to expand d roads and get rid of the potholes on certain rd which he is already doing.On d topic: my fear is hope okada riders from neighbouring states will nt flood d stAte.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Freiburger(m): 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
Imanuelle: He has no choice!
Na slum full em state!
And your state is paraidse? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by lekkie073(m): 3:22pm On Nov 11, 2012
Syenite: On d topic: my fear is hope okada riders from neighbouring states will nt flood d stAte.
they are already on their way.....saw a truck full of bikes and abokis dis morning at lagos_ibadan express way
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Joshcoli(m): 3:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
The invention of BRT buses faced out molue's... Fashola can also apply the same tactics, instead of punishing lagosians. Some People on NL don't understand the pains and struggle people go through just to get to work

4 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by bukatyne(f): 3:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
as a poster said, Oshiomole has his thinking cap on. How can a right thinking Gov ban bikes b4 creating alternatives? was he under pressure to ban them? did he stimulate the effect of the ban on d bike men n the citizens? what would d bike men do to earn a living? take care of their families? how would d pple transport themselves b4 the 'alternative' come? the bike fee has increased and yet our Gov insist they have the interest of the masses @ heart. i give kudos to Oshiomole. Let us stop trying to build rome in a day! all these cities our governors are tryin to imitate did not develop overnight. they established structures in place b4 implementin laws. they also have different a mindset and way of life. if they want to imitate, they should pick those that concern them directly like integrity and accountability and stop making life difficult for d masses.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by lekkie073(m): 3:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
Joshcoli: The invention of BRT buses faced out molue's... Fashola can also apply the same tactics, instead of punishing lagosians. Some People on NL don't understand the pains and struggle people go through just to get to work
u ll soon get used to it.....just persevere a little....eko o ni baje!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Justicemy: 3:56pm On Nov 11, 2012
9ice one frm de kind governor
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by deandavid(m): 4:01pm On Nov 11, 2012
lekkie073: okada is being banned in states with progressive policies, not states still flourishing on archaic thinking. edo is not even in the top ten developed states in the country.
why cant u people think? Ok after banning okada without providing jobs wat next? Dnt 4get dis is a means of livelihood 4 majority of the people, what will dy fall back to? What is the economic effect of banning okada, apart 4rm accident reduction? Economy grows when the people have jobs. I knw becos some of have cars dats y u tink d ban is ok. Cme to warri and see how even car owners suffer in holdup. The demerits of banning okada far outweighs the merits. Seun i think there should be a debate on this okada issue.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by lekkie073(m): 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2012
deandavid: why cant u people think? Ok after banning okada without providing jobs wat next? Dnt 4get dis is a means of livelihood 4 majority of the people, what will dy fall back to? What is the economic effect of banning okada, apart 4rm accident reduction? Economy grows when the people have jobs. I knw becos some of have cars dats y u tink d ban is ok. Cme to warri and see how even car owners suffer in holdup. The demerits of banning okada far outweighs the merits. Seun i think there should be a debate on this okada issue.
u mean he should provide jobs for d numerous nigeriens (not nigerians) riding bikes in lagos. u r not ok!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by nas00(m): 4:22pm On Nov 11, 2012
From the outset, it had been one of the targets of LASG to transform Lagos into a mega city and there's a time frame to it. In an ideal mega city, motor bike is not an option as a means of public transport. Compare Tokyo, Sidney, New York, Paris, Berlin etc.. Banning okada in some parts of Lag is understandably in line with achieving the laid out goal. Bear in mind the attendant merits of phasing out okada as a means of public transport.

Edo on the other hand must have her own targets too, which I am not really familiar with.

In view of this, I believe each governor is doing what is in their state's best interest, hopefully as a means to a better end. There is always to sides to a story.

We all must remember that for meaningful and lasting change, there must be:
1. An action plan/ blueprint for development
2. Leadership committed to the cause
3. Sacrifice, which in truth is mostly borne by the citizenry (okada riders in this case)
In the near future, Lagos is likely achieve her aims if LASG maintains commitment..
I don't stay in Lagos but I have witnessed, during my visits, the commendable positive changes in traffic law enforcement, environmet and aesthetics. I know there are yet lots of terrible roads needing rehab in lagos. Also, other problems such as power supply still need to be tackled. However, I think Fashola has taken one step in the right direction.

The onus is however on him to employ as much of the okada riders that are employable.

That said, I live in Edo State and the state of roads here is far worse than in Lagos (to say the least). Terrible roads persist even in Benin City.
I realise that a few roads here and there are being rehabilitated though, and maybe because Edo is a larger state, it is more difficult to appreciate work being done when considered as a whole entity.

Most parts of the state do not even have a functional intra-city taxi cab system E.g. Auchi, Igarra, Ibillo, Ekpoma, Sabongida-Ora etc
Only Benin has an intra-city system that conveys passengers from one place to another within it.

So, it is no surprise that Oshiomhole CANNOT ban okada for noow (except maybe on major roads in Benin-City). He was right in that regard.
But for the 'working class' reason he gave, I'd say he was just trying to score cheap political points. Oshiomhole get sweet mouth.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by OkwaIfugo(m): 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
Oya lagos okadas move to benin.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by crisycent: 4:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
acidtalk: SHUT UP!!!
Its because you haven't created good motorable roads in Edo state. Na ontop hill, ditch and dead zones people go drive pass? Of course we all know only bikes can pass through those death traps.

People don't be deceived. There is no one out of the entire 36 state governors that has the people at heart (maybe ONLY governor of Imo state)

You are a complete goat...point one state that doesn't have bad roads? Besides this oshiomole guy is doing is best, no Matt the rain in Benin city, 90% of the major roads are motorable ....come and see what is happening in Edo State. What is Lagos feeling like? Well let it be known to all lagosians that Fashola just increased the crime rate and you guys will have to sleep with both eyes wide open. How can you ban bikes when you don't have a functioning transportation system? Do you think banning okada will make Lagos a mega city overnight?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by crisycent: 4:57pm On Nov 11, 2012
On behalf of the governor and the good people of Edo state, I wish to welcome all displaced okada riders from Lagos state to Edo state. We are looking forward to a stiff competition between you and the locals hence reducing the price of transport drastically. However, remember that okada riders pay taxes in Edo state and we welcome your tax money. Once again, welcome to the ancient city of Benin.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by richjohn1(m): 5:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
I still don't understand how pple still support the ban/restriction of bikes in lagos. Duality and pro01 have all but said it all.
Who dares drives a bike in accra? None, because of a well organized road network and excellent road free of pot hole. Can anyone cope with the hell of lagos-badagry filled with potholes of more than 200 not to mention d fact that they promise to construct a 10 lane road which I don't seeh finishing b4 2025.

The point is maintain the road, create alternatives b4 creating draconian laws Fashola baba pls put the horse b4 ur cart na SAN dey front of ur name!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Freiburger:
And your state is paraidse? undecided undecided undecided

Yes sir! grin
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
crisycent: On behalf of the governor and the good people of Edo state, I wish to welcome all displaced okada riders from Lagos state to Edo state. We are looking forward to a stiff competition between you and the locals hence reducing the price of transport drastically. However, remember that okada riders pay taxes in Edo state and we welcome your tax money. Once again, welcome to the ancient city of Benin.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ONEMEGE(m): 5:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
Its because you haven't created good motorable roads in Edo state. Na ontop hill, ditch and dead zones people go drive pass? Of course we all know only bikes can pass through those death traps.

People don't be deceived. There is no one out of the entire 36 state governors that has the people at heart (maybe ONLY governor of Imo state)
u can tink beta than that, u dont have to insult him to drive home ur point. Moreover he has d freedom to expres his viewpoint, d fact dat fashola or any oda gov banned it does not make it right considering present reality. If u say edo roads are not motorable, sorry to say u are ignorant,our smooth roads, cordinated road network, drainage system, tourism potentials is 2nd to none. So next time check ur facts wel b4 erroneously concluding.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2012
oshomhole

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
edo road

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by abouzaid: 5:22pm On Nov 11, 2012
Peter obi said the same thing about okada in anambra, it seems governors from more humble beginning don't subscribe to all this okada banning antics. Even in china ppl still use okada in d form of electric tricycles.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
benin city

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by whitecat007: 5:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
Did this guy just through Fashola under the bus? hmmnn!!!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
osho,canal for erosion control

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by princemedico: 5:29pm On Nov 11, 2012

Which nonsense Imo state governor. How would you base your argument on media hype. Rochas' government is only a media hyped government.

I am from and have been in Imo state since his election. He claims to be constructing roads only to clear the roads pour red(mud) sand on it leaving worst than they were with the help rainfall.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
edo rd

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
drainage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday / EFCC Interrogates Dodo On Halliburton Scandal / Sagay Rejects Calls For Adeosun’s Sack Over NYSC Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.