Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job (20475 Views)

Graduate -why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job - / Meet Some Of Dangote Truck Drivers / Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by fatdon2(m): 5:41am On Nov 12, 2012
Henry Pender is a graduate of Political Science from the University of Ibadan. Pender graduated in 2000 and has worked as a banker, yet he is among the about 100 graduates undergoing training to become truck drivers; or rather logistics assistants. Pender is also the class governor of this first batch of trainees.

“After my service, I had the privilege of being retained at the Rivers State Primary Education Board where I did my primary assignment. I was with them for about a year before I joined the All States Trust Bank, which is now defunct. I worked with them for three years before I joined the Ecobank, from there I moved to the Oceanic Bank before joining Ecobank again after the acquisition of Oceanic Bank by Ecobank.

“I had to leave the banking industry when I married my colleague, because the human resource policy then did not allow spouses to work in the same office. I felt that my wife should stay behind while I as a man would look around for something to do. It wasn’t easy, because the job was not forthcoming as I thought. I attended a couple of interviews at different places, but I didn’t get what I was looking for.

“When this opportunity of becoming truck driver with Dangote presented itself, I applied with open mind. I felt that this is an opportunity for a new beginning to move into a new paradigm that is not explored. We have just begun the journey in the Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology (NITT). I was pleasantly surprised when I came here to see people from different backgrounds and professions.

“We are all getting along very well. I am looking forward for an experience that would improve our larger society. Dangote has put something in place that would turn out to be a revolution in the transport industry in this country. I think this programme would eventually become a model that all organisations of international standard would adopt in no distance future.

“From personal point of view, I like driving. I have driven a lot since when I became a professional driver and I like travelling. But by coming here, I have been exposed to the academic side of driving. I feel that whatever I do as a graduate, there should be a level of expected difference from what a layman would do. I think the objective of employing graduates as drivers is for sanity to be restored on our highways. Most of us are victims of the recklessness of heavy truck drivers and this is what this initiative wants to address. We are being trained here to become complete gentlemen as drivers,” Pender said.

He explained that he has, essentially, decided to join the truck driving profession out of interest not for material reward.

“As at the time we had our interview, there was no mention of any material reward. It is now that we are hearing that after a successful driving for a certain period, or covering of certain mileage that one would own a truck or things like that. No such thing was mentioned; there was no mention of special incentives rather than we would be employed and paid salaries.

“What I would say lured me into joining the truck driving profession is the name Dangote that is known locally and internationally. I bet you that if it were some other companies that came up with this initiative, some of us may not be here but the mention of the name Dangote, one would know that there is quality; there is a personality behind it; there is international recognition; that is what lured most of us here beyond any other material gain.

“We only discovered the entrepreneurial incentive of this programme when we came here; when most of us have completed their registration. Being somebody who had the experience of the banking sector, I would quickly join Dangote, because I know I would have job security and we are enjoying ourselves here in the NITT as the pioneer batch of this training programme. I never knew there is an institute like the NITT in Nigeria. We are grateful to them for the knowledge they are impacting in us.

“I want to also use this medium to urge the youth of Nigeria to work hard. We have to make names for ourselves by working hard as it is not all of us who are children of the privileged, therefore we are here as part of our dignity of labour. I would rather stay here and do this work than apply for visa to go abroad and face all kinds of humiliation by washing toilets or driving taxi while I have a similar option here, which I would do with dignity and leave a good example for the upcoming ones,” Pender explained.

www.247nigerianewsupdate.com/dangote-truck-drivers-why-i-left-banking-job-to-be-a-truck-driver-ph-d-holder/

13 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by SlyIg(f): 6:00am On Nov 12, 2012
My brother, please help me tell those lazy guys who are still consuming their parents food at old age that could be independent. They would rather travel outside the country to become 'boy boy' than struggle in their fathers' land. Your children would be so proud of you for your struggle in life. Congrats sir on your new job.

16 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Demdem(m): 6:48am On Nov 12, 2012
Really happy for u. Keep the flag flying.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by slap1(m): 7:01am On Nov 12, 2012
From bank to truck driving. Your skin texture go change o, but so will your income, for the good.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by fatdon2(m): 7:38am On Nov 12, 2012
With God all Things Are Possible
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by ba7man(m): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2012
Its a honest means of service. Congratulations.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by member16: 9:01am On Nov 12, 2012
Leave a 180k job where I sit in d office all day, with AC for one that pays 80k under harsh conditions, hmmm...

4 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 12, 2012
After some times , You own a truck, Thats a nice one from Dangote, he played a fast one on Nigerians and i hope he keeps that promise

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 12, 2012
NITT @ truck driving...Another wuruwuru name to chop people money. Better brand it Nigeria Institute of truck-driving technology.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by freshboy007: 9:08am On Nov 12, 2012
Atleast, he is going for his heart desire.

If thats what will give him joy and happiness i think its okay for me.

Bt i see dis guy havin a rethink in the future.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 12, 2012
What's the big deal there? I left a prison warden job,to become a Nanny for old people.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Abujafood: 9:10am On Nov 12, 2012
Where is Okija Juju that has been mocking this Dangote Driver program?

@Topic, there is dignity in labour. Keep the flag flying bros and it's only a matter of time before you become the envy of others!
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by stormm: 9:10am On Nov 12, 2012
Bank deposit drive pressure wan kill the guy. He take style bail. I wish him luck as he re-positions himself for the headship of Dangote Truck Drivers' association.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by yunafa(f): 9:11am On Nov 12, 2012
if this is a true story then show us his picture pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by omoijoba1: 9:11am On Nov 12, 2012
Finally, originality, passion and self determination to succeed with dignity have triumphed over mediocrity and gross laziness that characterize some nigerian graduates casting aspersions on Dangote for this initiative. I hope those taking the back seat will learn from this and trash the mentality of succeeding only by working in air-conditioned offices. Congrats Bro!

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by timbros(m): 9:13am On Nov 12, 2012
Misleading topic.

He was not an active banker when he went for the Dangote thing. After marrying his colleague, he had to stop working in the same office with her because of the law restricting that...

Btw congrats to you man! Prospective truck owner! Happy for you...

7 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by zenus(m): 9:13am On Nov 12, 2012
Hmmmm

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Elsafema: 9:14am On Nov 12, 2012
How much is there salary
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Wilfredng: 9:14am On Nov 12, 2012
fatdon2:

www.247nigerianewsupdate.com/dangote-truck-drivers-why-i-left-banking-job-to-be-a-truck-driver-ph-d-holder/
I wish you good luck. Go for it, it's your mind. I know you will make it there. Happiness is all that matters in life.
But wait, I can see you love your wife so much. wink
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by chinnyonwu(m): 9:14am On Nov 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD: After some times , You own a truck, Thats a nice one from Dangote, he played a fast one on Nigerians and i hope he keeps that promise
Dats if d truck no kill u after 'sometime' lol

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by candieangel12(f): 9:15am On Nov 12, 2012
Perfect scenario of: One man's meat being another man's poison
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by chinnyonwu(m): 9:15am On Nov 12, 2012
Yomieluv: What's the big deal there? I left a prison warden job,to become a Nanny for old people.
U mean u đ℮ƴ help old people wash their nyash? :-O
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Ournaija: 9:16am On Nov 12, 2012
When next Dangote will be advertising for truck drivers, no database will be able to contain the number of applicants. wink
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by zains: 9:16am On Nov 12, 2012
Now that he has seen the ''academic side'' of driving, hope they'll also teach the ''safety side'' of our pot-hole-riddled roads!

And I hope that the trucks will still be in good condition when he gets to own it. I also pray that the 'don'-Dangote won't change the rules along the line. (if he does, nothing go happen o. Cos he's the president behind every president)
Goodluck bro, (you'll need a lot of it!)
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by IYANGBALI: 9:17am On Nov 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD: After some times , You own a truck, Thats a nice one from Dangote, he played a fast one on Nigerians and i hope he keeps that promise
how long is the some times?I hope its not eternity?
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Wilfredng: 9:19am On Nov 12, 2012
omo_ijoba: Finally, originality, passion and self determination to succeed with dignity have triumphed over mediocrity and gross laziness that characterize some nigerian graduates casting aspersions on Dangote for this initiative. I hope those taking the back seat will learn from this and trash the mentality of succeeding only by working in air-conditioned offices. Congrats Bro!

I love NL for several things, mostly because of wise, varied, educative and sometimes weird responses to posts.
This comment of yours is one very wise advise I have read online today. First of it's kind to begin my week. Thanks a lot.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Awake9ja(m): 9:21am On Nov 12, 2012
total nonsense. this guy is fake and the story is falsify.

why are nigerians too easy to be dcvd with trash.

what is the future in driving that motivates him.

how is it giing to help his profesion.

pls tell this gabage to almajiris in kano.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by jt2010: 9:22am On Nov 12, 2012
fatdon2:

“I had to leave the banking industry when I married my colleague, because the human resource policy then did not allow spouses to work in the same office. I felt that my wife should stay behind while I as a man would look around for something to do. It wasn’t easy, because the job was not forthcoming as I thought. I attended a couple of interviews at different places, but I didn’t get what I was looking for./

From the above statement, it is very certain that the guy is jobless as at the time he apply for the job!!!! So your post heading is very misleading....ur post should have read... Ex-banker apply to be a Dangote Truck Driver)

12 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by RickyRoss1(m): 9:29am On Nov 12, 2012
timbros: Misleading topic.

He was not an active banker when he went for the Dangote thing. After marrying his colleague, he had to stop working in the same office with her because of the law restricting that...

Btw congrats to you man! Prospective truck owner! Happy for you...
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by cyril83(m): 9:30am On Nov 12, 2012
A graduate with working experiece driving truck infact I started to feel revulsion against all diz oppression and downgrading going on in this country,I think its high time we used this forum to form a revolutionary group so as to relegate all these evil ones if we can't get rid of them...some lazy ones and internet warriors wil start bashing on me now but I mean it..

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Youngzedd(m): 9:33am On Nov 12, 2012
I heard they are paid well, how much do they pay.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by sitasie(f): 9:34am On Nov 12, 2012
people,make a living from something that is comsumerate to your level of education,athawise soon u go here PHD holders claiming to be mortuary attendants.
did the wife accept such a demeaning fallback position?
angry angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops / Dolapo Badmus Becomes Chief Superintendent Of Police / Should I Join Police Or Continue With My Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.