Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops (20504 Views)

Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops? Part 2 / Meet Emeka Abugu, A Blind Vulcanizer & Mechanic In Enugu / Murphy Juliana: Beautiful Lady Mechanic In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Awkabigboy: 5:10pm On Dec 12, 2021
I mean the mechanics in Nigeria are mainly the informal ones except the car companies which I'm not writing about here. I mean our everyday mechanics are not mechanical engineers by profession , then why are certified mechanical engineers shying away from this lucrative sector to give the people what they indeed require.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by oluwaseyi1759(m): 5:13pm On Dec 12, 2021
Do you think they know the practical aspect well... Hardly will you see a Professor of mechanical engineering that can remove and fix a Trailer's Tyre. They just work in companies and get paid.

136 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Ifesinachi22(m): 5:18pm On Dec 12, 2021
Their sister department, Civil Engineering has thousands of Engineers in construction sites across the country.

I don't know why Mechanical Engineers won't practice what they studied

138 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Baawaa(m): 5:19pm On Dec 12, 2021
They know theory only

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by WibusJaga: 5:22pm On Dec 12, 2021

Because they know almost nothing about the practical workings of a car.
But really, our University system should be made more practical, rather all the plenty theory that end up being irrelevant to society. That's one of the reasons we have so many unemployed graduates looking for white collar jobs.

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by NwaNimo1(m): 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2021
Ifesinachi22:
Their sister department, Civil Engineering has thousands of Engineers in construction sites across the country.

I don't know why Mechanical Engineers won't practice what they studied

Because what they studied has no market i naija..............diagnostic machine dey diagnose engine now!

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Biodun556(m): 5:35pm On Dec 12, 2021
Awkabigboy:
I mean the mechanics in Nigeria are mainly the informal ones except the car companies which I'm not writing about here. I mean our everyday mechanics are not mechanical engineers by profession , then why are certified mechanical engineers shying away from this lucrative sector to give the people what they indeed require.

Cc lalasticlala mynd44 front page please

They are trained to build not to repair. Go to vehicle manufacturing companies and assemblying plants to see them just like civil engineers who construct building not repairing building

118 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Awkabigboy: 5:37pm On Dec 12, 2021
Biodun556:

They are trained to build not to repair. Go to vehicle manufacturing companies and assemblying plants to see them just like civil engineers who construct building not repairing building
So who now repairs , see logic, how can you build what you cant repair, what about those kia, Toyota and mitsubishi engineers that repair

121 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by NwaNimo1(m): 5:38pm On Dec 12, 2021
Biodun556:

We don't have enough structural engineers...............to put right the nonsense done by our civil engineers.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Biodun556(m): 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2021
Awkabigboy:

So who now repairs , see logic, how can you build what you cant repair, what about those kia, Toyota and mitsubishi engineers that repair
Technicians repair engineers build.

We should review our curriculum to accommodate the two.

It may be difficult to repair something not built by you even the roadside mechanics specalized on a type of vehicle. Some specialized on Japanese cars, while some will tell you they only repair Honda.

I have seen a mechanic that only repair vehicle breaks.

Some are based on truck alone. We should stop under rating our mechanical engineers

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Ifesinachi22(m): 5:41pm On Dec 12, 2021
They are simply scared of being called or seen as a mere "Mechanic"

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Awkabigboy: 5:45pm On Dec 12, 2021
Biodun556:

Technicians repair engineers build.

We should review our curriculum to accommodate the two.
Cool, you have put it better . Because I believe a theoretical knowledge combined with fine arts will be better than the sometimes trial and error by these mechanics in the informal sector

6 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Awkabigboy: 5:47pm On Dec 12, 2021
Ifesinachi22:
They are simply scared of being called or seen as a mere "Mechanic"
That should be the least of their worries

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by helinues: 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2021
They only know theory not practical.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by inoki247: 5:52pm On Dec 12, 2021
Mechanic by book....

Tell most of dem to fix ordinary plug dem go dey confuse..

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Biodun556(m): 6:40pm On Dec 12, 2021
Awkabigboy:

Cool, you have put it better . Because I believe a theoretical knowledge combined with fine arts will be better than the sometimes trial and error by these mechanics in the informal sector

Correct

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by CyberHustle: 10:54am On Dec 13, 2021
Mechanical engineering is simply centered around the design of mechanical systems. It isn't equal to mechanical technician role. People erroneously equate engineers to technician's. Also, roadside mechanics or technicians workshop can be financially tasking to properly setup and master it's use.

This is from a Google search on "engineers vs technicians".

Traditionally, Engineers rely more on the theories and science, while a technician is a person with a more practical understanding. ... Basically Engineers are the problem solvers while technicians are doers who resolve problems and keep things working…

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by seunolu7: 2:13pm On Dec 13, 2021
Lol
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Saskay44: 2:13pm On Dec 13, 2021
Funny thing is dst most of them no go sch but saby work pass d mechanic engineers...school day only teach them theory
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by JustStupidity: 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
Because, mechanic shop is not something we should be proud of.

Simple.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by fajob: 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
It's capital intensive. Except u go to polytechnic where have more practical knowledge . It can't happen.....my opinion ooo

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Cholls(m): 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
seunolu7:
Lol
my brother what is this
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Tonymegabush1(m): 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
Op you talk as if you don't know how nigeria education system is cool it's only in nigeria you will see a graduate of computer science that can not dismantle and reassemble a computer system some self cant even successful install common software in a system all they know is to speak big big grammar

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by DennisEche(m): 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
If you ask me, who i go ask... Most if not all of them cant even do simple repairs in 1961 Volkswagen model

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Dialpad: 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
Everyone wants to work with shell and chevron lol ...

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by ThumbzTNA(m): 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
T
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by seunny4lif(m): 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2021
People that can’t change ordinary tyre of their own cars, you want them to open shops grin grin
Same reason Electrical/Electronics engineering students can’t even fix electric bulb grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by candidbabe(f): 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2021
They are only taught theories
They don't know jack about practicals
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by vickydevoka(m): 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2021
Bcus most schools don't teach automobile

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by ClassicMan202(m): 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2021
Dff
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by vickydevoka(m): 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2021
Bcus most schools don't teach automobile. E.g unn

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dolapo Badmus Becomes Chief Superintendent Of Police / Nigerdock Sacks 1400 Nigerians Staff Left Its Expatriate Staff / Lose Weight Or You Risk Losing Your Job. Customs Boss Charge Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.