Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

My Experience With Swindlers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience With Swindlers (13845 Views)

My Experience With Two Thieves Tonight :-- / My Experience With "One Chance". Share Yours / My Experience With A Police Man Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 13, 2012
Anytime I want to change dollars,I always go to this paricular bereau de change located at Allen Avenue to get the naira equivalent.Unluckily for me,last week wednesday,someone gave me 200 dollars and I decided to go change it at the same place.

Instead of me to change the money at my usual place,I decided to change it with a guy I met at the road side.the guy told me its 157naira to a dollar.I told him 160naira which he agreed.after giving me 32000naira,I counted it twice and they too counted it.

I gave them the 200 dollars and left.just few steps away,I noticed the money was not bulky anymore.it was in 1000notes anyway.I felt something was wrong.I stopped and recounted the money only to find out that the money was in deficit! I was left with 20000naira.

I screamed and when I turned back,I couldn't find the swindlers.they were gone! I went back and asked the traders around that place if they saw the guy and his friend,they said they didn't.a security man I met there told me they are swindlers and that is how they swindle people who come to change dollars.I was furious!

The security guy told me to get a policeman to help me out.Police ke? Long process,writing statement,I felt it won't be necessary.I just left and forgot about it.

I don't know if there are other people who also have witnessed such incident,but people should beware of changing hard currency especially with men who walk along the road on allen avenue.

They are SWINDLERS! They hurriedly meet you with calculator and ask if you wanna change money.please ignore them!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 13, 2012
Are u for real? Chai! Naija sha! It is well. Thank God say I no live for Lagos! I can't cope with the wahala of that place!! shocked
God will catch all of them!! Amen. Pele oº°˚!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 13, 2012
^^^ I don't think its only lagos o! It happens almost everywhere.my dear am still in great shock! I no know if na juju abi another thing.smh
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Idowuogbo(f): 11:05am On Nov 13, 2012
berem: ^^^ I don't think its only lagos o! It happens almost everywhere.my dear am still in great shock! I no know if na juju abi another thing.smh
Kai! Den swap u? shocked shocked Make i help u speed dial my babalawo? Trust me! Dem go count d money come postrate give u as early as 6am 2moro. Na me talk it!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by gbanikiti(m): 11:39am On Nov 13, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Kai! Den swap u? shocked shocked Make i help u speed dial my babalawo? Trust me! Dem go count d money come postrate give u as early as 6am 2moro. Na me talk it!
idowu you no well o! Money don waka na.how you wan take do am? Oya na am waiting.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by ciphoenix: 12:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
them give you 32k for hand. The thing later turn 20k. Abi? I no understand that part well

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by lolaluv1(f): 1:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
Na wa o!

Pele Berem. Thank God you didn't disappear along with the money....

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Idowuogbo(f): 1:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
lola.luv:
Na wa o!

Pele Berem. Thank God you didn't disappear along with the money....
Looolzz.. She go re-appear wiv my baba! grin

gbanikiti: idowu you no well o! Money don waka na.how you wan take do am? Oya na am waiting.
I dey wait for berem control.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by dilbert100: 1:34pm On Nov 13, 2012
this happens everywhere.....take care
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by killuminati(m): 1:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
Eyaaaaah Berem sorry Ooooo undecided I dey feel ur pain

Abeg check ur blockus wether e still dey kampe

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by roymary: 1:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
@OP

I bet that shiit happened right in front of Alade Market! You must be new to the environment cos shiit been going down for way over a decade.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by ACM10: 1:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
ciphoenix: [size=58pt]them give you 32k for hand. The thing later turn 20k. Abi? I no understand that part well[/size]

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Kslib(m): 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2012
Wait oh!! I don confuse.. After you count 30k finish,when you reach front,the money con turn 20k?? Chineke,dose guys na correct scientists.. See talent dey waste..

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by emyibe(m): 1:40pm On Nov 13, 2012
you even dey lucky say 20k remain.Those guys are the good ones oh
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Kslib(m): 1:40pm On Nov 13, 2012
killuminati: Eyaaaaah Berem sorry Ooooo undecided I dey feel ur pain

Abeg check ur blockus wether e still dey kampe
Woman dey get blockus again?? You suppose say "Abeg check your kpekus" not "blockus"...

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by queensmith: 1:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
how did they do it? had you already put the money in your bag before paying them? how did they switch it? was it magic? lol
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2012
tchidi: Are u for real? Chai! Naija sha! It is well. Thank God say I no live for Lagos! I can't cope with the wahala of that place!! shocked
God will catch all of them!! Amen. Pele oº°˚!

Can you live in Onitsha Osha and Lagos are similar places to live in. I love Aba(cool headed people).
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by yemmight(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
You see. Some people don't just learn. I am very certain those roadside guys would have increased the rates that make it more attractive but you see we should always think of consequences. Who are you going to hold responsible for the wrong doing? In that Airport Hotel, there are legit, credible bureau d change and they have been there for donkey years so why would you do your business by roadside? Why?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by getukudo(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
Yeah I have been swindled before! Went to change $100 and I was told 156 which I agreed. He gave me the equivalent which I counted infront of him and it was complete, but getting home I counted again and had just N11,000 on me, went back and couldn't find the guy again!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem: ^^^ I don't think its only lagos o! It happens almost everywhere.my dear am still in great shock! I no know if na juju abi another thing.smh

It's from your village. Lol. I lost N12k yesterday too. I no dey tell such story unless the money too big. Moreover you might be saying it to someone who enjoys your predicament.

Nigerians lose money daily to fraudulent and dubious people. God dey.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by coogar: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem: Anytime I want to change dollars,I always go to this paricular bereau de change located at Allen Avenue to get the naira equivalent.Unluckily for me,last week wednesday,someone gave me 200 dollars and I decided to go change it at the same place.

Instead of me to change the money at my usual place,I decided to change it with a guy I met at the road side.the guy told me its 157naira to a dollar.I told him 160naira which he agreed.after giving me 32000naira,I counted it twice and they too counted it.

I gave them the 200 dollars and left.just few steps away,I noticed the money was not bulky anymore.it was in 1000notes anyway.I felt something was wrong.I stopped and recounted the money only to find out that the money was in deficit! I was left with 20000naira.

I screamed and when I turned back,I couldn't find the swindlers.they were gone! I went back and asked the traders around that place if they saw the guy and his friend,they said they didn't.a security man I met there told me they are swindlers and that is how they swindle people who come to change dollars.I was furious!

The security guy told me to get a policeman to help me out.Police ke? Long process,writing statement,I felt it won't be necessary.I just left and forgot about it.

I don't know if there are other people who also have witnessed such incident,but people should beware of changing hard currency especially with men who walk along the road on allen avenue.

They are SWINDLERS! They hurriedly meet you with calculator and ask if you wanna change money.please ignore them!

you must be speaking the truth.....
a friend of mine told me this same story a month ago but i discarded the story cos he's always high on star lager beer.......he also mentioned somewhere around alade market on allen avenue.....he drove there, did the exchange and counted it several times only to discover some parts were missing, by the time he drove back.....he couldn't find the guys and people told him its a normal occurrence around there.....

my question is - why don't these people warn the victims before or during these evil transactions? i am beginning to think these sympathisers are part of the gang! their role is to slow down the victims with talking - to create enough time for the criminals to run and hide! these people can be caught - next time, station about 20 men around the area and play along with the rogues......walk away and let your men follow them and arrest them!

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2012
My broda don fall a Victim b4....those ppl use jazz to do their evil
BTW...Banks no dey change money again...#asking
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
ciphoenix: them give you 32k for hand. The thing later turn 20k. Abi? I no understand that part well

She didn't count well at first. They probably counted along and aloud with her at first shouting wrong figures/wrong maths, but she was too pleased at the bargain or the ease of transaction so it skipped her mind.

If she had discovered the shortage initially they would have probably apologized, completed the money and then wait for another try/maga.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
sorry sweery, u have just been hypnotized
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by grandstar(m): 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
I am based in Ikeja and I know those boys. Nver change money with the boys outside Airport Hotel. They are all thieves. If they don't undercount, they will switch your original dollar with fakes.

Also steer clear of those by Tantalisers. They are bird of the same feather. The same with the non-hausa's outside at Alade market. It is best you enter into Alade at that gate where you see a mass of hausa dealers. You are safe there.

what I normally do to prevent being cheated is to use the same guy. Even if its 159 and he offers me 157, i don't mind. 2 naira won't kill me. Its better to be pound wise than be penny foolish.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
gbanikiti: idowu you no well o! Money don waka na.how you wan take do am? Oya na am waiting.

People dey waka return ordinary cork not to talk of N12k. Thieves just returned a man's car stolen recently. You can conjure. Hmmm.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by coogar: 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
trae_z:

She didn't count well at first. They probably counted along and aloud with her at first shouting wrong figures/wrong maths, but she was too pleased at the bargain or the ease of transaction so it skipped her mind.

If she had discovered the shortage initially they would have probably apologized, completed the money and then wait for another try/maga.

she did - the rogues hypnotise their victims.....
one of my good friends was a victim and he's so smart when it comes to money but even with his smartness, he got murked!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by killuminati(m): 1:51pm On Nov 13, 2012
Kslib:
Woman dey get blockus again?? You suppose say "Abeg check your kpekus" not "blockus"...
guy na wah for you! Where you come from sef? You never jam be dat Ooo

Me I don see kpekus wey follow get blockus all come join

#AskGoogle
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Sijo01(f): 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2012
You get luck say them pity you leave some for you..... Wished everything disappear, what would you have done.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by XFive: 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2012
This is not a problem of Lagos or any part of Nigeria alone, it happens everyday around the west coast, from Liberia to Senegal and Ivory coast to Ghana, Togo to Benin Republic. There is no Juju inside but if you don't watch well, they will swindle you. Do not allow them to fold the money, count it one by one. If you give them your dollar before they will you the equivalent, u have made a great mistake. Let them give you the naira before you will give them your dollar or they will change your own dollar with another fake dollar.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by kollybay4u: 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2012
I once hav that experience also, at akure to buy phone but ds cab just call to me and i entered but for me to kn that there was 4 men inside the cab and they said i shld sat at the front, not more than 3minutes i was told that they ar not going to that route again that i shld come down. But i just discovered that the money i put at my right pocket were disappeared like #700 and the money for the phone #30000 at the back of my pocket dnt disappear. I thank God!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yahoo Boys Caught With Dead Girl. *viewers DISCRETION* / Whoever Takes Money For Bail Is A Kidnapper, Says Lagos CP / NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine And Heroin Headed For UK, Australia, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.