Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,650 members, 7,955,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:09 AM

My Experience With Swindlers - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience With Swindlers (13981 Views)

My Experience With Two Thieves Tonight :-- / My Experience With "One Chance". Share Yours / My Experience With A Police Man Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by komzi: 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2012
My brother,exactly the same thing happened to me,i found it difficult to believe and people also found it very difficult to believe,the same place you talked about and they are always willing to change the money at higher rate,also they dont normally have an office,they will just take you by the same and tidy up the transaction,I called the guys phone and what he kept saying was 'CEMETRY,MORTUARY' That was when i knew i had been swindled.pls let other people learn from this
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
lola.luv:
Na wa o!

Pele Berem. Thank God you didn't disappear along with the money....

abi o! And i pray she wont disappear 24hours after the money has dissapeared o, then find herself in the aboki's bedroom. @Berem sweery, strap urself to ur buglary proof in ur livin room and watch urself for the next 2days, if u suspect floating, hanging in the air or anything strange, shout!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by UGOCHUKWU3: 1:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
My brother,exactly the same thing happened to me,i found it difficult to believe and people also found it very difficult to believe,the same place you talked about and they are always willing to change the money at higher rate,also they dont normally have an office,they will just take you by the same and tidy up the transaction,I called the guys phone and what he kept saying was 'CEMETRY,MORTUARY' That was when i knew i had been swindled.pls let other people learn from this
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by joynoy: 1:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
Same thing happened to me in jUly, met some guys at d gate, wanted to change. NAria to 100 dollar gave d guy d naria equivalent of 100dollar he counted it in front of me while his second went to bring d dollar, his second return minute later that they had know more dollar, I collected my naria back and counted. The money in front of my hubby and d guy. We drove off. Only for me to count d same cash again and 4k was missing!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by doublecross(m): 1:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
Sorry Berem. I think you are a JJC in the game. Just to let the whole house know, always ensure you are the last person to count the money. Don't let them be the last to count before handing it over to you. They don't use juju or anything equivalent - Its just a common trick. They have been trained on how to use their hands to remove money from behind a bulk. Hope you get that?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
coogar:

she did - the rogues hypnotise their victims.....
one of my good friends was a victim and he's so smart when it comes to money but even with his smartness, he got murked!

I'm agnostics so i eschew superstition. She was just over excited and let her guard slip. Simple!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by obalola7: 1:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem: Anytime I want to change dollars,I always go to this paricular bereau de change located at Allen Avenue to get the naira equivalent.Unluckily for me,last week wednesday,someone gave me 200 dollars and I decided to go change it at the same place.

Instead of me to change the money at my usual place,I decided to change it with a guy I met at the road side.the guy told me its 157naira to a dollar.I told him 160naira which he agreed.after giving me 32000naira,I counted it twice and they too counted it.

I gave them the 200 dollars and left.just few steps away,I noticed the money was not bulky anymore.it was in 1000notes anyway.I felt something was wrong.I stopped and recounted the money only to find out that the money was in deficit! I was left with 20000naira.

I screamed and when I turned back,I couldn't find the swindlers.they were gone! I went back and asked the traders around that place if they saw the guy and his friend,they said they didn't.a security man I met there told me they are swindlers and that is how they swindle people who come to change dollars.I was furious!

The security guy told me to get a policeman to help me out.Police ke? Long process,writing statement,I felt it won't be necessary.I just left and forgot about it.

I don't know if there are other people who also have witnessed such incident,but people should beware of changing hard currency especially with men who walk along the road on allen avenue.

They are SWINDLERS! They hurriedly meet you with calculator and ask if you wanna change money.please ignore them!

Yes they are and it has happened to me and people i know. Even the same malam that you use to go to can do it for you.
But if they know you are trouble kind person they will not swindle you if you are at their shop.
The swindling aspect actually come whenever they give you price and you negotiate for higher conversion.

If you had agreed for N157 you would have had your money complete and it woundn't had disappeared
Sorry o, Just be careful next time and always go to people with shop

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by greatgod2012(f): 1:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
Sorry o berem, next time, shine ur eyes weli-weli.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Burger01(m): 1:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
I just, till date, don't know how they did the trick. it happened to me some years ago around Balogun Bustop, Allen Avenue, at a popular hotel in that area (Could someone please remind me of the name of the hotel?). I lost about about 23k to the swindlers. I just couldn't believe what happened because we all counted the money. So strange o..
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by solomonkane(m): 1:58pm On Nov 13, 2012
For Allen, that one na very normal thing, Alade market front and back na HQ for them. But @OP: u sef get big eye, that same Allen get certified Bureau De Change: Sullah wey dey before GTB if you are coming from Opebi to Allen Roundabout, why you no branch there?
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by RickyRoss1(m): 1:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
It happened to me the first time i returned back to Nigeria from UK. Precisely at the Airport Hotel, Ikeja. Even if you count the money 200 times it will be complete in the present of those swindlers, but once you get home and count your money it wont be complete. Many people say they use jazz, some people say they turn the money upside down.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by tonym1(m): 2:00pm On Nov 13, 2012
IT'S DOES NOT ONLY HAPPEN IN NAIJA BUT ALSO IN NAPLES (ITALY) grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by leighcon(m): 2:02pm On Nov 13, 2012
A pure mind game has been played on you, those guys deliberately leave out like 2 notes when giving you the money, they make you count like 3-5 times and they also recount just so you are both sure of the number of notes missing.

While pretending to reach for his pocket to bring out the missing notes, he distracts you and takes some wads out of the one in his hand to put in his pocket only to bring out the number of notes agreed to make it complete. So in your case he probably took out N14k only to bring out N2k.

Whenever I have their time I play them a lot, they would have quoted very high rate to attract you, what I do is I recount anytime they give me the final amount and then they begin to call me "thief wey wan chop high rate" of course they end up running away.

Pele! Next time never trust anybody with anything!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nuzo1(m): 2:02pm On Nov 13, 2012
Oh...I thought she meant SWINGERS. sad

Now, the almost fading memories of Ikpodo girls slowly creep back. cool I don't know if its a good thing to remember. undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by femiseun1: 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
The problem with Nigerians is greed. Someone u don't know gives u a juicy exchange rate higher than normal. You should know that something is wrong somewhere, if u like count it a million times a bulk sum will disappear. Those boys near airport hotel ikeja specialize in doing that. My brother was swindled there and I went there with boyz to get the money back after much fighting .. Mind you i grew up in that neighborhood so it was easy to get the money back grin
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by RickyRoss1(m): 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2012
doublecross: Sorry Berem. I think you are a JJC in the game. Just to let the whole house know, always ensure you are the last person to count the money. Don't let them be the last to count before handing it over to you. They don't use juju or anything equivalent - Its just a common trick. They have been trained on how to use their hands to remove money from behind a bulk. Hope you get that?

Pls further explanation needed as to how they use their hand to remove bulk money? I can pay to watch a swindler do this on one on one basis

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by eminex(m): 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2012
ciphoenix: them give you 32k for hand. The thing later turn 20k. Abi? I no understand that part well

d money did not turn 2 20k frm 32k. She made a mistake of giving dem d money 2 recount. While they counted it last after her on d process they removed 12k frm it unknowing 2 her.

If u wanna change money frm dem & get ur money complete, b d last 2 count d money right in dere face & den pocket it. Also check 4 fake currencies in between.

Sometimes if dey knw u understand dere trick dey wil tell u dey re not willing 2 change ur dollars anymore cos dey wil run @ a loss.

It also happen in oda businesses in various ways. Jus dat am always careful wit dem. my friend once went 2 buy phone frm d road side sellers, he priced one & he was told 22k, he begged 4 it @ 20k & dey agreed. After givin dem money, they counted & while my friend was busy checkin d phone they removed 6k & gave him back d money sayin they re not willing 2 sell anymore cos d pricing is far below d market price. My friend collected his money back & didn't recount. On gettin 2 anoda shop he discoved dat he has jus 14k.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by obalola7: 2:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
Burger01: I just, till date, don't know how they did the trick. it happened to me some years ago around Balogun Bustop, Allen Avenue, at a popular hotel in that area (Could someone please remind me of the name of the hotel?). I lost about about 23k to the swindlers. I just couldn't believe what happened because we all counted the money. So strange o..

Airport Hotel or Jabita Hotel

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Tstark(m): 2:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
leighcon: A pure mind game has been played on you, those guys deliberately leave out like 2 notes when giving you the money, they make you count like 3-5 times and they also recount just so you are both sure of the number of notes missing.

While pretending to reach for his pocket to bring out the missing notes, he distracts you and takes some wads out of the one in his hand to put in his pocket only to bring out the number of notes agreed to make it complete. So in your case he probably took out N14k only to bring out N2k.

Whenever I have their time I play them a lot, they would have quoted very high rate to attract you, what I do is I recount anytime they give me the final amount and then they begin to call me "thief wey wan chop high rate" of course they end up running away.

Pele! Next time never trust anybody with anything!

GBAM! All you have to do is make sure you are the last person to count the money and they will angrily collect their money and walk off. They tried it with me but i kep insisting on counting the money before giving them the dollars so they angrily walked off. If you let them count it and hand it to you then they've got ya.
The mallams do not involve themselves in this act and they make sure those boys dont operate near their bureau de change, they are always across the road from them or down the road.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 13, 2012
This shit happens everyday,not limited to Allen alone,but anywhere they change currencies. It has happened to my Aunt too,she was swindled of over 30k at Yaba market. Best bet,change your Dollar at a bank,or reputable person.they can't all be bad na.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by newacca: 2:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
grin cheesy sorry lad! For those of u who don't believe in voodoo,especially when it comes from Africa by Africans. Na real ooo. Tuale for dem Jazz men ooo. Anyway,if u get antidote for it,e no go enter. next time keep am inside black nylon. if na market u dey,sprinkle small water from locust bean on it. lo ba tan! shikenah! cheesy Ewe nje ooo,Ogun je. Africa I hail oooooo
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:16pm On Nov 13, 2012
I once had a similar experience, it was christmas time I went there to change 1000usd,I drove nissan armada and I parked inside tantalizer, I changed the money at the rate of 152naira.

I drove away in good faith only to get to shoprite and the story changed,I counted the money again it was 88000naira, chei where are the rest....

I couldn't go back that was it.

Exactly on Jan 5th was passing by allen again, the guy that changed for me was there beside tantalizer,he first wave his hand to me thinking I'm a new customer but on remembering the colour of my ride he disappeared.

As a sharp guy and hustler myself I drove down to Oshopey Plaza get a good parking space I came out bought a new slippers and one t shirt,it remain my native trouser only, I disguise completely.

I trek back tp tantalizer,behold he was standing in the middle of the road looking around if I will try to come back,I was in a corner calculation not knowing some police men too were watching me.

The police men grabbed me from the back telling me I be thief,I narrated what happened to them,to my surprise they even know his name.....

Wasiu come here
Do you know this man....Yes Oga
Make you give am his money.......oooook

All his friends came started hailing me, laughing at me say I be real imported crook, see me wey dey drive armada come dey wera slippers and sokoto buba.......

As police hear say I get armada they became more interested.

To cut the long story short I was able to get 50000 back after much pleading from his crook friends......

The police men drove me to Opebi only to charge me again for fake driving licence , well I was tired I gave them 15000 again out of my 50k, at least e better pass nothing.

Since then I no dey make mistake to stop for allen again ooooo.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by jobaskia(m): 2:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
@berem. It's all about psychology . They tend to read you very well before they perform their abracadabra.

The hausa that exchanges the money are the best , its unfortunate some boys are now doing it illegally to swindle people . They ve already mix up with them.

They ve swindled several people in the past and the polcie is equally aware of the dirty trend there , but always look the other way. One never can tell if they are 'settled' in the charade

Ensure you transact with those mallams and not those boys.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mko2005: 2:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
It happened life to me some months back along Awolowo way Ikeja.I was having a spare 100 dollar bil with me and decided to change it with one of those bereu guys since came visitin around the area.I gave them the dollar bill and was expecting to get 15,800 naira from them as per the exchange rate as at then.I counted the money and it was complete but i decided to recount just to be sure,and it was very very complete.I was still standing trying to cross over to the other side of the road with the cash in hand wen one of the guys said i should not be exposing my money like that,that i should put it in my pocket.Upon crossing the road,honestly i dnt know what made me to want to recount the 3rd time.I brought out the money and started to count while working on the road.I discovered immediately that the money was short of 8k(8 thousand naira)I rushed back to the boys and pretended as if i know they do money magic there.The young man asked me to relax that i shouldn't shout,that how much was i short paid?i said 8k and he completed the money for me.But a colleague of his started to quarrel with him for completing the cash.His claim was that since i have left the scene that he should hav pretended that he knows nothing about the dis appearance of the 8k and shoudn't hav completed the cash.That was exactly wen i started to attract attention and the people arround like some companies security men said that's what they do there and that the POLICE is aware as they come there every evening to take their cut !
Awareness in this light should be encouraged on NL and not the notorious act of reigning abuses on people !

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by markus1133: 2:20pm On Nov 13, 2012
not only in Nigeria
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by babseg(m): 2:25pm On Nov 13, 2012
I have been a victim of this similar fraud like 3 times but God helped me.

I had this similar experience in cotonou like 10 yrs ago by a Nigerian guy. I think these guys hypnotize their victims. I counted several times and I was very sure they gave me the right amount. I put the money in my pocket and I called a bike. As soon as I got to my destination I knew I was cheated without counting the money again. I asked the same bike to return me back to where he picked me.

I asked the people around and they said they don't know him. I warned them if they don't produce this gut I will call the police or cause trouble. One of the traders now begged me to calm down that they know I've been cheated that they would find the guy.

After like 30min the guy surfaced and gave the right amount.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by ohioleh: 2:25pm On Nov 13, 2012
i have experienced the same thing at the gate of tantalizers....i only notice when i got to the bank,the trick is after you count the money and they count where they slip some amount out ....so what they gave you back was short already..they also work with jazzz...na ssoo oo ,,sowi
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Burger01(m): 2:26pm On Nov 13, 2012
obalola7:

Airport Hotel or Jabita Hotel
Yeah, thank you. It's Airport hotel. Terrible experience. And thinking that i was gonna paint the town a bit red with my money, that incident just dampened my town painting spirit.. angry
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 13, 2012
CHEI!! SEE ABOKI SENSE
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by naturalwaves: 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
@Berem. Who counted the money last? You or the Swindlers? So that we can know if it is a trick or Jazz.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Spirit1(m): 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2012
Sijo01: You get luck say them pity you leave some for you..... Wished everything disappear, what would you have done.

This trick is not jazz at all. It's simply a trick they use in arranging money before counting it. This has been around for a long time. It's an illusion. It's no big deal, you just have to know that it exists and watch out for it. The only way to beat it is to count your money one-by-one. Even when I change money running into millions, I still count one-by-one

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by babseg(m): 2:36pm On Nov 13, 2012
naturalwaves: @Berem. Who counted the money last? You or the Swindlers? So that we can know if it is a trick or Jazz.

See these guys use juju aka hypnotism

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naval Ratings Assault Abiola Oduola Over Parking Space In Lagos / Four Arrested For Speaking Against Water Pollution By The Chinese In Gambia / I Produce Fake Wine Because My Master Refused To Settle Me – Suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.