Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer (1003 Views)

Help; I Need Guidance Or Assistance In Turning Dot Wordpress Blog To Dot Com / I Need Guidance! / I Need Guidance On My Web Programming Tutorials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
Hello Webmasters.... i have recently decided to take up webdesigning for a few reasons.... it is not for the money but the rather the experience it would give me... i am tired of being just a consumer, i too would love to produce, since i am starting from the scratch up with no previous experience i know that it would be hard...but that does not deter me from pursuing this dream.... please any seasoned web designer that would like to take me up in to their wing even for a fee would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Y'all
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by PGON(m): 5:34pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ravenwolf: Hello Webmasters.... i have recently decided to take up webdesigning for a few reasons.... it is not for the money but the rather the experience it would give me... i am tired of being just a consumer, i too would love to produce, since i am starting from the scratch up with no previous experience i know that it would be hard...but that does not deter me from pursuing this dream.... please any seasoned web designer that would like to take me up in to their wing even for a fee would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Y'all

Welcome on board;

Get ready for Proper grooming
First get all the applications required.

text editor: notepad++, or others... dreamweaver
image editor: Adobe Illustrator, photoshop and or GIMP

XAMPP

many more
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 1:36am On Nov 16, 2012
PGON:

Welcome on board;

Get ready for Proper grooming
First get all the applications required.

text editor: notepad++, or others... dreamweaver
image editor: Adobe Illustrator, photoshop and or GIMP

XAMPP

many more

I have got all of that already..... would love it if you can coach me!!!

Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 1:47am On Nov 16, 2012
I have all of these... would be delighted if you can coach me... i wouldnt even mind meeting you in person
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Raylight2(m): 4:11am On Nov 16, 2012
I learnt web design from scratch all by myself using dreamweaver about a month ago and now i can build a complete static site even with notepad. I was never tot. I presently study chemistry but wen ppl c me work, they think i'm a computer scientist.

Secret: I studied source codes of websites and read online www.w3schools.com . Moving on to the next level. You too can.
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by sisqology(m): 6:13am On Nov 16, 2012
Please start with notepad++ ..... DO NOT USE Dreamweaver!!!
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by PGON(m): 10:06am On Nov 16, 2012
Ravenwolf: I have all of these... would be delighted if you can coach me... i wouldnt even mind meeting you in person

If (you intend to learn by yourself) {
There are so many tutorials out there...;
You only need guide on which one to start with first....;
}

else {
My office is at Gbongan /Ibadan Expressway Osogbo Osun State;
}
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by dilbert100: 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2012
sisqology: Please start with notepad++ ..... DO NOT USE Dreamweaver!!!

agreed...stick to notepad.
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 17, 2012
okay.... i presume the reason is is to let me gain some mastery first and not be overly dependent on Dreamver or other platforms later on... so whats next
dilbert100:

agreed...stick to notepad.
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 12:51am On Nov 17, 2012
bro i live in Lagos... so which one do you want me to start with first.
PGON:

If (you intend to learn by yourself) {
There are so many tutorials out there...;
You only need guide on which one to start with first....;
}

else {
My office is at Gbongan /Ibadan Expressway Osogbo Osun State;
}
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by sisqology(m): 7:14am On Nov 17, 2012
I can help Ɣọ̥μ̥! 080f843074
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 17, 2012
sisqology: I can help Ɣọ̥μ̥! 080f843074

Oh really!!!!..... well then lets talk, heres my email;contactify2011@gmail.com
i am waiting!!
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Dasameolgee(m): 7:55am On Nov 17, 2012
i so much disagree with softwares like DREAMWEAVER for beginners. I highly suggest you learn the codes from scratch. The interesting part is that HTML is fun to learn. I can help you with comprehensive materials to help you from a beginner to a professional. I also have comprehensive materials on web development if you want. Just send me a text 08063439039.
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by utimatedes(m): 8:43am On Nov 17, 2012
If you can study alone, that is fine, but if you cannot, get someone to teach you what you need.

If you are studying on your own, sometimes you may not be serious and committed, but if you pay for it and have someone teaching you, there will be commitment from both parties and that seriousness will be there.

I did my own training with KarRox and the end result was not palatable as they taught me rubbish, but because that seriousness in me, I bought tutorials from Lynda.com, sitepoint.com and other nice tutorials online. Today I have my own web design company and I got funded by Federal Government through YouWIN (www.youwin.org.ng)

I did not say because KarRox did not give me the best experience, so I will abandon web design. So it depends on your level of seriousness and commitment.

I have trained few friends on one on one basic and I always start with them learning HTML tag,then CSS and finally few javascript syntaxs using Notepad or Notepad++.

After learning the all the tags and syntaxs, we will use WYSIWYG like dreamweaver to design one or too layout. After that I will ask him to pick one or two finished websites online and I will use that has a case study before I will pick one website, take the picture of the site and ask him to design such site for me.

During the process, I will give him assignment when we finish some lessons and I will revise before moving to the next level.
I use this method because of my experience with KarRox and I want to make sure he gets the best experience and should be able to design website on his own. At the end I give him some study materials for reference...

What about starting from home, getting fund or grant to start your biz, saving on your own to start, marketing, writing proposal and sample business plan? This are integrate part of the learning process before you graduate and is the last lesson to learn.

In case you don't have fund to pay for training institution, please follow the checklist below:
1) Identify what you want to study
2) Make Google your best friend to get the best materials.
3) Search for website that provide tutorials on web design. E.g http://w3schools.com/, sitepoint.com
4) Start learning HTML tag first and practice with Notepad.
5) Learn CSS
6) Learn basic javascript.
7) Buy video tutorial from from Lynda.com or PDF on how to use WYSIWYG. I don't use this any more to design site.
cool Pick one simple website online and try to build your own to look exactly like that. You can build 3 of such sites.
9) Make friend with few established design and ask them to review your work.
10) When you get bad review, don't feel sad.
11) I will give you link to book and tutorials I bought online that have help me a look: http://www.sitepoint.com/books/ux1, http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html3, http://www.sitepoint.com/books/htmlcss1 and http://www.sitepoint.com/books/design2. I usually wait still their Promo period to buy at promo price.
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/Beginning-HTML-XHTML-CSS-and-JavaScript.productCd-0470540702.html. Those book really help learn web design and also in teaching.

These books above is for designing alone and is not about development.
12) Learning few marketing and running successful web design business, I bought book on this and is very useful, I bought it from sitepoint.com and is for running a web design company.

With this you are good to go!

After you have started getting clients for web design, use your free time to learn web development. I prefer PHP because is widely use and you can easily get help.

I got to stop here my guy because is too long.

You need help, you have my number below.
Re: I Need Guidance On Becoming A Web Designer by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 24, 2012
utimatedes: If you can study alone, that is fine, but if you cannot, get someone to teach you what you need.

If you are studying on your own, sometimes you may not be serious and committed, but if you pay for it and have someone teaching you, there will be commitment from both parties and that seriousness will be there.

I did my own training with KarRox and the end result was not palatable as they taught me rubbish, but because that seriousness in me, I bought tutorials from Lynda.com, sitepoint.com and other nice tutorials online. Today I have my own web design company and I got funded by Federal Government through YouWIN (www.youwin.org.ng)

I did not say because KarRox did not give me the best experience, so I will abandon web design. So it depends on your level of seriousness and commitment.

I have trained few friends on one on one basic and I always start with them learning HTML tag,then CSS and finally few javascript syntaxs using Notepad or Notepad++.

After learning the all the tags and syntaxs, we will use WYSIWYG like dreamweaver to design one or too layout. After that I will ask him to pick one or two finished websites online and I will use that has a case study before I will pick one website, take the picture of the site and ask him to design such site for me.

During the process, I will give him assignment when we finish some lessons and I will revise before moving to the next level.
I use this method because of my experience with KarRox and I want to make sure he gets the best experience and should be able to design website on his own. At the end I give him some study materials for reference...

What about starting from home, getting fund or grant to start your biz, saving on your own to start, marketing, writing proposal and sample business plan? This are integrate part of the learning process before you graduate and is the last lesson to learn.

In case you don't have fund to pay for training institution, please follow the checklist below:
1) Identify what you want to study
2) Make Google your best friend to get the best materials.
3) Search for website that provide tutorials on web design. E.g http://w3schools.com/, sitepoint.com
4) Start learning HTML tag first and practice with Notepad.
5) Learn CSS
6) Learn basic javascript.
7) Buy video tutorial from from Lynda.com or PDF on how to use WYSIWYG. I don't use this any more to design site.
cool Pick one simple website online and try to build your own to look exactly like that. You can build 3 of such sites.
9) Make friend with few established design and ask them to review your work.
10) When you get bad review, don't feel sad.
11) I will give you link to book and tutorials I bought online that have help me a look: http://www.sitepoint.com/books/ux1, http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html3, http://www.sitepoint.com/books/htmlcss1 and http://www.sitepoint.com/books/design2. I usually wait still their Promo period to buy at promo price.
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/Beginning-HTML-XHTML-CSS-and-JavaScript.productCd-0470540702.html. Those book really help learn web design and also in teaching.

These books above is for designing alone and is not about development.
12) Learning few marketing and running successful web design business, I bought book on this and is very useful, I bought it from sitepoint.com and is for running a web design company.

With this you are good to go!

After you have started getting clients for web design, use your free time to learn web development. I prefer PHP because is widely use and you can easily get help.

I got to stop here my guy because is too long.

You need help, you have my number below.

Dude thanks so much.... i believe you are willing to teach me.... please where are you at Lagos? i will be delighted to meet you!!

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Website !!! / Upgrade From Spc3 To Spc 4 Issues / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.