Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (15332 Views)

13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria / If You Are Unemployed, Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Anubiri(m): 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
Dat is y I wana join d illuminate...any connection abeg hala me @07031062129
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Ucheosefoh(m): 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
cheddarking: Another thing is....

Nigerians also need to stop studying stupid Mickey-mouse courses...

A lot of people go in to study Theology, Philosophy, Fishery, Public Admin, International Relations etc...

These courses are simply not relevant in Nigeria today..

A word to Nigerians: Consider your University Degree as an Investment Opportunity, A sound investment produces sound returns.
did u know how many years some piple have spent at home searching for dream courses like law, medicine etc with no success they have 2 take any course offered to them. Did u think is easy writing jamb every year btw I know some piple who study those courses I list above yet they are jobless, unemployment cover all sectors of the economy

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bayulll01(m): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2012
isleman: Its a pity but the real question is are they employable? I was a member of a team that interviewed some set of graduates a year ago and a graduate was telling she is from Abeokuta state. She didn't even know she was wrong because she said it over again severally. Out of about 200 applications i went through only 42 could write a sound C.V and i could only recommend 12 satisfactorily. it was an easy interview for me as they failed woefully.
i hear oga make i send my cv am employable abi na
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by mamagee3(f): 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
That says a lot about Nigeria and its leaders. . .
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Parry1978(m): 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
everystep87:

Why must you be contacted? why cant you share is on this forum and help your brothers. Atleast nobody will take your business idea from you. SMH

Abi oooooo. Tell am. Mshhhwwwwwwww
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by hasyak(m): 4:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
unemployable? i believe that should be the correct word.

Here people are lazy and dont want to think and work hard, always looking for shortcuts.

As a graduate, you should be able to "USE YOUR HEAD AND THINK" and do something no matter how small and grow, most you look for JOB?

You can create jobs from your head, Nigeria is still a virgin market for lots of ideas. You can improve on a service thats is already there or create something new!

Jobs should be a stepping stone to your dreams not your dreams, so start THINKING!

Even on Nairaland here, some people make money by selling their services or product. You dont need to have the product yourself, but have a relationship with the owner of the product/service and market it and make some commission. Many will rather spend their time here posting nonsense from one page to the other, if that time is used for promoting your service or product i believe you will make money.

+5.8

2 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bayulll01(m): 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2012
Anubiri: Dat is y I wana join d illuminate...any connection abeg hala me @07031062129
that is it my broda send me ur contact if u don join,we go dey spend d money 2geda but me i no dey join o
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bayulll01(m): 4:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
hasyak: unemployable? i believe that should be the correct word.

Here people are lazy and dont want to think and work hard, always looking for shortcuts.

As a graduate, you should be able to "USE YOUR HEAD AND THINK" and do something no matter how small and grow, most you work?

You can create jobs from your head, Nigeria is still a virgin market for lots of ideas. You can improve on a service thats is already there or create something new!

Jobs should be a stepping stone to your dreams not your dreams, so start THINKING!

Even on Nairaland here, some people make money by selling their services or product. You dont need to have the product yourself, but have a relationship with the owner of the product/service and market it and make some commission. Many will rather spend their time here posting nonsense from one page to the other, if that time is used for promoting your service or product i believe you will make money.

+5.8

oga stop ranting joor pple daft sha
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by puskin: 4:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
Orikinla: Majority of them are unemployed, because they are too Lazy to read and think.

Here is an opportunity for unemployed graduates on https://www.nairaland.com/1059699/first-nollywood-outdoor-cinema-workshop.

Its not your fault.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Shaw007(m): 4:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
All thz Ppl here shouting "they are 2 lazy . . . they can't thInK . . .there are Lots of business ideas".are either stILL students or are just being Unrealistic with themselves. . .with the Kind of resources this country has,theres ntn wrong if every average graduate gets employed,at least 2 get the ball rolling,is that 2 much 2 ask for?? Infact let the money mismanagement and every stops,if the situatIon wud not lighten. . .Even if they want 2 start their Own business. . Is that how easy the money is circulatIng?? Abeg make we hia word Jor,i say no more!!

2 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by alameenLM(m): 4:54pm On Nov 15, 2012
I didn't want to read this thread,i didn't read it actually but I wanna tell anyone thats among the ''60%'' this:create a job and be the boss don't look for it

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
It is no longer a news that Nigeria lack equal job opportunities to absorb its teeming population of young graduates, so what do we need right now in Nigeria

We do not need to constantly blame government all the time because you and I will soon become the government. Last 12years, Goodluck Jonathan never believed he would be the government people will be looking up to, same with Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola, so we all as Nigerians are all to blame and we all also need to work together to get ourselves out of this mess we are in right now- UNEMPLOYMENT MESS! How?

Nigerian youths should please learn to start partnering together to do businesses and handworks as joint venture. Partner with your course mate whom you share similar ideas with it, partner with your friend, your sibling, your village kinsman, your neighbor in the street, find someone who shares similar dreams with you and partner with him or her. I have long thought of initiating this idea to bring Nigerian youths together, but the problem is will we buy into the idea and come into it with all honesty and sincerity to uplift ourselves in businesses, crafts, etc?

YOUTHS START NOW TO PULL YOUR MEAGER RESOURCES TOGETHER TO FORM ONE BIG COMPANY AS BUSINESS PARTNERS, THAT I THINK IS THE ONLY WAY OUT NOW!

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by yuzedo: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
Rephrase topic to 60% of Nigerian Graduates are UNEMPLOYABLE
... And that's the gospel truth! undecided
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by hasyak(m): 5:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
]
Shaw007: All thz Ppl here shouting "they are 2 lazy . . . they can't thInK . . .there are Lots of business ideas".are either stILL students or are just being Unrealistic with themselves. . .with the Kind of resources this country has,theres ntn wrong if every average graduate gets employed,at least 2 get the ball rolling,is that 2 much 2 ask for?? Infact let the money mismanagement and every stops,if the situatIon wud not lighten. . .Even if they want 2 start their Own business. . Is that how easy the money is circulatIng?? Abeg make we hia word Jor,i say no more!!

Its because of the way the country is thats why we are saying start doing something for yourself, because the jobs are not THERE. And if you think by coming here to lament that will solve your problem then go ahead and wait for the Job!
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by AAlozie(m): 5:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
Like Spartacus' wife would say; "kill them (bad leaders) all!
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 5:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
DailyNews:
YOUTHS START NOW TO PULL YOUR MEAGER RESOURCES TOGETHER TO FORM ONE BIG COMPANY AS BUSINESS PARTNERS, THAT I THINK IS THE ONLY WAY OUT NOW!

I think trust is the issue

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godmann(m): 5:12pm On Nov 15, 2012

As a graduate, you should be able to "USE YOUR HEAD AND THINK" and do something no matter how small and grow, most you look for JOB?

+5.8

Do you know what Economics is? The Federal Government controls the economy globally; meaning we can only operate within the circle they created. If they create a small circle, we share the little that is inside. If a bigger circle, we have more to ourselves.

The fact is that our economy has shrunk to an unbearable level. What can an individual do in the economy? Can you farm? No. There are no implements. Even ordinary fertilizer you cannot get. Animal feeds are hardly available. What about Financing your business? Even medium companies find it extremely hard to source credit in this economy because of our government banking policies.

Legally, there are no grounds to do business in Nigeria because there are no laws. If I defraud you in this economy, you can't get back your money unless you are more connected than I am. If I invent anything in this country, no one can protect my invention. All the business in Nigeria is mainly about stealing and copying other people's invention.

Tell me who you can run a business in Nigeria than by stealing.

That is the problem. Our corrupt government is the problem.

Our people are not lazy; it is the systems that encourages laziness.

5 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godmann(m): 5:12pm On Nov 15, 2012

+5.8

Do you know what Economics is? The Federal Government controls the economy globally; meaning we can only operate within the circle they created. If they create a small circle, we share the little that is inside. If a bigger circle, we have more to ourselves.

The fact is that our economy has shrunk to an unbearable level. What can an individual do in the economy? Can you farm? No. There are no implements. Even ordinary fertilizer you cannot get. Animal feeds are hardly available. What about Financing your business? Even medium companies find it extremely hard to source credit in this economy because of our government banking policies.

Legally, there are no grounds to do business in Nigeria because there are no laws. If I defraud you in this economy, you can't get back your money unless you are more connected than I am. If I invent anything in this country, no one can protect my invention. All the business in Nigeria is mainly about stealing and copying other people's invention.

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I think trust is the issue

You are right on point there, and I did pointed that out, but then, there must be someone you can trust amongst your friends and siblings...try and find one out, believe me, partnership is another way out for Nigerian unemployed graduate youths.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
DailyNews:

You are right on point there, and I did pointed that out, but then, there must be someone you can trust amongst your friends and siblings...try and find one out, believe me, partnership is another way out for Nigerian unemployed graduate youths.

Rule number ! for me, never do business with friends nor families . . . Strangers are preferred

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godogwu: 5:15pm On Nov 15, 2012
Well it's easy for people to blame the government for not providing enough jobs but frankly crime is not the only thing to turn to. There are so many factors involved in the unemployment of the nigerian youths. First of all, a handful of them are lazy and are not willing to go through any sort of struggle; they believe that since they have graduated a job should be waiting for them.....err it's not that easy. Secondly, some of them want to start of earning huge salaries and their fore turn down any job that doesn't meet their expectation, eventually they'll go back and the position is already taken.... Well I believe the FG and the private sectors need to work hand in hand to create space for employment for the fresh graduates. A high percent of unemployed fresh graduates is a problem in almost every society and country of the world. The level of unemployed new graduates in the US is about 53%,.....this goes to show that whoever wants to get employed needs to go beyond the "normal".
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godogwu: 5:16pm On Nov 15, 2012
slimming: If the allowances been paid to politicians are reduced employment level will increase.

How? Please explain
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by legalwealth(m): 5:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
I won't disagree with this as all

"All we were being told/directed was to go to school=>Study hard and come out with good grade to have a good job.Finally settle down with a happy family"
without having impact in our community other pooing out new born babies that ?

Life is more than this as "Being your Own Boss" is the best.

Hold on a bit...
Will there be a people like Dangote,Adenuga and name more if all they are thinking is all about all what I posted above.

We youths need orientation different from the confusing thoughts we are getting into our medulla oblongata.

Thanks to the life of one of my secondary school graduate that just graduated this year as he has made over N200,000 in less than 6 months just with his Nokia 5130 being His Own Boss.

Seriously speaking,we need revolution in our way of doing things.

I rest my case...

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 5:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
Godogwu: Well it's easy for people to blame the government for not providing enough jobs but frankly crime is not the only thing to turn to. There are so many factors involved in the unemployment of the nigerian youths. First of all, a handful of them are lazy and are not willing to go through any sort of struggle; they believe that since they have graduated a job should be waiting for them.....err it's not that easy. Secondly, some of them want to start of earning huge salaries and their fore turn down any job that doesn't meet their expectation, eventually they'll go back and the position is already taken.... Well I believe the FG and the private sectors need to work hand in hand to create space for employment for the fresh graduates. A high percent of unemployed fresh graduates is a problem in almost every society and country of the world. The level of unemployed new graduates in the US is about 53%,.....this goes to show that whoever wants to get employed needs to go beyond the "normal".

Inasmuch as you have some point, it is important as well to make sure that the playground is levelled for everyone . . . if the important things are not provided as the basis for what they have to build, what else do they have?
Some might wanna start a business, no bank to loan them, no money, and no light to power any machine, ordinary call center will have to get a generator to power a shop where they make peanut . . . and on their way home, no guarantee they will reach home with the little they have made, and yet we wanna blame the people?
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by legalwealth(m): 5:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
alameenLM: I didn't want to read this thread,i didn't read it actually but I wanna tell anyone thats among the ''60%'' this:create a job and be the boss don't look for it

Thank you for this insight...
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godogwu: 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
Shaw007: All thz Ppl here shouting "they are 2 lazy . . . they can't thInK . . .there are Lots of business ideas".are either stILL students or are just being Unrealistic with themselves. . .with the Kind of resources this country has,theres ntn wrong if every average graduate gets employed,at least 2 get the ball rolling,is that 2 much 2 ask for?? Infact let the money mismanagement and every stops,if the situatIon wud not lighten. . .Even if they want 2 start their Own business. . Is that how easy the money is circulatIng?? Abeg make we hia word Jor,i say no more!!

Every graduate gets employed? Did you re-read what you typed?....like! You actually feel you made sense yea?
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by thelastPope(m): 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
Where did you people get all these figures you are brandishing about? Lol. Online Nigerians and their way. If 60% are unemployed, nobody would be able to go outside their door in the morning.

If you are talking of those actually doing jobs in line with their training, it might even be as much as 90%. But when you say unemployed, you are wrong. First, there is no true statistics as Nigeria has no database. Everything being brandished about is mere speculation and lies.

Secomdly, what is employment? The man who has a shoe shop is employed. The man who has a small pharmacy is employed. The man who works for a food outlet and gets paid monthly is employed. So all these figures being thrown around are not true at all. But you can definitely say that the standard of living and the renumeration for many of these jobs have to improve. Europe currently has a much higher unemployment rate than Nigeria. What is different is the social security from the government. What we need to do is grow some of our industries and sectors like agriculture. The pursuit of white collar jobs is not the answer. We have a vast land from north to south. We import too much. If we begin to manufacture many of these items, massive jobs will be created automatically. It isn't government that will build these industries. What we need is power and transportation. This is why some of us support the power privatisation because it must work, whether they like it or yes. It is not even up to GEJ right now. It just has to work. We must all join and fight for it to work. Once power and transportation from rail is in place, leave the rest to us.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by hasyak(m): 5:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
Godman_n:

I dont know economics, but what i know is that Nigeria is a market for goods and services, if well planned.

With this type of mindset of yours, i think it best you follow the system that encourages laziness!
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
There is a JOB waiting for those 60% unemployed youths! TAKE UR COUNTRY BACk!!!! IT'S CALLED REVOLUTION!!!

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godogwu: 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Inasmuch as you have some point, it is important as well to make sure that the playground is levelled for everyone . . . if the important things are not provided as the basis for what they have to build, what else do they have?
Some might wanna start a business, no bank to loan them, no money, and no light to power any machine, ordinary call center will have to get a generator to power a shop where they make peanut . . . and on their way home, no guarantee they will reach home with the little they have made, and yet we wanna blame the people?

Yes, the playground isn't leveled for everyone but that's the same thing in every part of the world, some try to level it up a bit but there are still cases here and there. A loan you say?, if you have the collateral then why not....you don't expect to walk into a bank and saw a few words and they drop N100m for you without having an assurance that they can get their money back. In the US you need a good " credit" to do virtually everything, like!..people live on credit here it's crazy. Generator you say?, you make it seem like you don't pay huge electricity bills in the first world countries with 24/7 light. Again, you make it seem like everyone knows how their day would end from the start.... I might just drop dead as I'm typing or on my way back from my intern job, I could have been crushed by a drunk truck driver, please don't make it sound so bad, yes there is unemployment and yes there will always be unemployment, what matters is reducing the percentage of the unemployed.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
Godogwu:

Yes, the playground isn't leveled for everyone but that's the same thing in every part of the world, some try to level it up a bit but there are still cases here and there. A loan you say?, if you have the collateral then why not....you don't expect to walk into a bank and saw a few words and they drop N100m for you without having an assurance that they can get their money back. In the US you need a good " credit" to do virtually everything, like!..people live on credit here it's crazy. Generator you say?, you make it seem like you don't pay huge electricity bills in the first world countries with 24/7 light. Again, you make it seem like everyone knows how their day would end from the start.... I might just drop dead as I'm typing or on my way back from my intern job, I could have been crushed by a drunk truck driver, please don't make it sound so bad, yes there is unemployment and yes there will always be unemployment, what matters is reducing the percentage of the unemployed.

What is the interest rate?
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Hardfact: 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
60 sounds much like an understament of fact.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Npower: Batches A And B Make Ready Your Login Details / Interview Invitation By Mandos Nigeria Limited / Npower Agro Test Starts Today, Apllicants Lets Meet Here And Discuss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.