Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,119 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection (21102 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance / Catholism- Focus On Relics / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 20, 2013
@Reginus

You don't even know the church had factions in early xtianity? I would advise you to quietly go back and study and stop disgracing yourself here.Go and read up about the history of the church and study the writings of the church fathers before comming here to post
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 20, 2013
2 Timothy 3:16
Good News Translation (GNT)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living,

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

You do not know but just that the holy spirit inspired it.How hilarious!!

Please I have my bible here kindly show me where I can find No 3's answer in it
And you will create a path for yourself?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44: @Reginus

You don't even know the church had factions in early xtianity? I would advise you to quietly go back and study and stop disgracing yourself here.Go and read up about the history of the church and study the writings of the church fathers before comming here to post
Wayo!! Let me follow your line. And where is the evidence?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 20, 2013
striktlymi: 2 Timothy 3:16
Good News Translation (GNT)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living,
In addition, 2 Peter 1:21
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 20, 2013
@Reginus

Wow!! How wonderful !! Let me quickly rush to get a copy of the gospels of mary,peter,judas e.t.c I will even add the gospels of marcion and the enitre gnostic scriptures.since all scriptures are inspired by God.

Since you know this much why do you people question the books of tobit,sirach and other books not included in the jewish canon.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 20, 2013
Reyginus: Wayo!! Let me follow your line. And where is the evidence?

You need evidence shee? You will find more than you bargained for.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentinianism
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 20, 2013
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 20, 2013

Since you know this much why do you people question the books of tobit,sirach and other books not included in the jewish canon.

Seriously, which people?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 20, 2013
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 20, 2013
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 20, 2013
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 20, 2013
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

Valentinianism is not christainity. No true christainity can be gnostic.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcionism
This also is not christainity. Read a post from the site and tell me if this is what christains hold.
From wikipedia
Marcionism, similar to Gnosticism, depicted the Hebrew God of the Old Testament as a tyrant or demiurge (see also God as the Devil).
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 20, 2013
Reyginus: Perhaps, I'm not aware of that. You know what I know, as catholic, the church is to embrace every christain under an umbrella. In the real sense of the word, nothing can trully be particularized and yet have the sentiment for general at the same time. That it is both Roman and Catholic is even a contradiction.

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaism
You seem to be calling the ideas of men christainity.
From wikipedia..
mology Nico means "conquer" in Greek, and laitan refers
to lay people, or laity; hence, the word may be
taken to mean "lay conquerors" or "conquerors
of the lay people". However, "Nicolaitan" (Greek:
Νικολαϊτῶν; Νικολαΐτης) is the name ostensibly
given to followers of the heretic Nicolas (Greek: Νικόλαος)—the name itself meaning "victorious
over people," or "victory of the people," which he would have been given at birth.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism
Once again, christainity can never be gnostic.
Read a bit.
In many Gnostic systems, the æons are the
various emanations of the superior God, who is also known by such names as the One, the Monad, Aion teleos (Greek:
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatism
Ideas of a few people again.
Is this christainity?
From wikipedia..
the Donatists were rigorists, holding that the church must be a church of "saints," not
"sinners," and that sacraments, such as baptism,
administered by traditores were invalid
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 20, 2013
[size=15pt]Questions from an observer:

1) Who determines which sect is Christian in those times?

2) How do the faithful know which to follow considering that the 'direct apostles' were probably dead?[/size]
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

Do you need more?
And an ideology is a movement how?
Read.
Arianism is the theological teaching attributed to Arius (ca. AD 250–336), a Christian presbyter in Alexandria, Egypt, concerning the relationship of God to the Son of God (Jesus of Nazareth). Arius asserted that the Son of God was a subordinate
entity to God the Father. Deemed a heretic by the Ecumenical First Council of Nicaea of 325, Arius was later exonerated in 335 at the regional First Synod of Tyre ,[1] and then, after his death, pronounced a heretic again at the Ecumenical.
Please I need more.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 9:44am On Mar 20, 2013
Lol.
This is becoming a comic.

Some fanatical "jew" men are on rampage.

Ubenedictus: your analogy doesnt work me dear unless you have a way of proving that martin luther and co were among the church fathers that compiled the bible.

in the light of that ^ question, should this below not do?

Reyginus: Are you serious?
You are begining to assume the non-existence of a thing like family line. Seems we have to hold participation in high esteem now. Let me queue in this lane of yours for this moment. I can also say in the same light, the roman catholic church never pertook in compiling the bible, since neither the pope nor any of the present church crop of fathers were present when the bible was compiled. How does it sound now?

well said guy.

chukwudi44:

Oh my God what kind of reasoning is this? Which of the generation of church fathers did martin luther descend from?which of the church fathers who compiled the bible held the same kind of beleifs martin luther did? How do you reason my friend?

I would not believe in the Gospel myself if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so" - St. Augustine (Against the letter of Mani, 5,6, 397 A.D. )

who is St. Augustine and Ignatiuse whatever?

Were they apostles of christ?

Have they more authority than the apostles of christ and their writings?

chukwudi44:

Olodo if you knew a bit about church history you would have known that the marcionists,valentinians,donatists,arians e.t.c who were like the protestants of the early church were not in the catholic church.

Better google online "against heresies" by st Ireneaus written in 185 CE.

Ah! See what you have resorted to!

How can one take your type seriously?

With the fruitage you show, you are nothing less than an agberoo.

You need help big time.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Boomark(m): 10:01am On Mar 20, 2013
Reyginus: In addition, 2 Peter 1:21

Nice one there!

I could not believe this our "Good morning" brother, skatylmi, is a catholic. Have been wondering if this is an error. Something must be wrong somewhere.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 20, 2013
striktlymi: [size=15pt]Questions from an observer:

2) How do the faithful know which to follow considering that the 'direct apostles' were probably dead?[/size]
Let me try.
1. Nobody but the bible, the NT, determines what is christain.
2. The direct apostles laid a foundation, their teachings. This serve as the manual for those who are really after the truth.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 10:30am On Mar 20, 2013

Wow!! How wonderful !! Let me quickly rush to get a copy of the gospels of mary,judas e.t.c I will even add the gospels of marcion and the enitre gnostic scriptures.since all scriptures are inspired by God.

Since you know this much why do you people question the books of tobit,sirach.

those ^ ant the apostles of christ writings.

we are talking about writings/epistle of the apostles and you presenting fairy tales.

Are the writers of those books the apostles of christ?

The writings of the NT are exclusive to the apostles of christ thereof, and they all died off in the 1st century ce.

What was done was to bring together the writings of this apostles = NT. QED.

See those that have the word of God:

(1 Thessalonians 2:13).
"For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

So, guy, see this below, it is this apostles that has the word of God that was compiled and
item 10 in this post below shows how paul directed that congregation or early churches should exchange letters.

See:
peter:
1. "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness." (2 Peter 3:16-17).
(note: his epistle)

Paul:
2. "The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write." (2 Thessalonians 3:17).

(note: every epistle)

3. "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." (2 Thessalonians 2:15).
(note: our epistle)

4. "And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments." (2 Timothy 4:12-13).

5. "Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction." (2 Corinthians 13:10).

6. "I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:" (1 Corinthians 5:9).

7. "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1 Corinthians 5:11).
(note: I have written unto you)

8. "Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not." (Galatians 1:20).
( I write unto you,)

9. "How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)" (Ephesians 3:3-4).

(note: as I wrote afore in few words,)

Congregations to exchange letters :

1. "And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea." (Colossians 4:16).

My Conclussion:
I am really afraid for you that somehow christ may have died in vein in your own case because of your looking at the wrong direction.

This are letters that the apostles wrote,
You have cause many people to lose faith and turn to atheism.

Now, can you provide the writers of those other books so that we consider how they can stand a chance against the writings of christ apostles?

The NT = writings of christ apostles.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 10:36am On Mar 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

Why direct people to history that has been adulterated?

Dont you know that any opposition was destroyed and the people killed in the past?

One sided history indeed.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:37am On Mar 20, 2013
Reyginus: Let me try.
2. The direct apostles laid a foundation, their teachings. This serve as the manual for those who are really after the truth.

@ times I wonder if you guys make use of your brains at all? Did the bible exist during the first four centuries? What was the criteria used in determing true xtians before the bible was compiled?

This gnostic xtians belaived there were practising true xtianity just like you protestant of today.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 20, 2013
Reyginus: This also is not christainity. Read a post from the site and tell me if this is what christains hold.
From wikipedia
Marcionism, similar to Gnosticism, depicted the Hebrew God of the Old Testament as a tyrant or demiurge (see also God as the Devil).

Continue to advertise your ignorance.Marcionism was a christian sect that existed in early xtianity.The founder of the sect marcion of sinope was even the first person to compile a xtian canon
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 20, 2013
truthislight:

those ^ ant the apostles of christ writings.

we are talking about writings/epistle of the apostles and you presenting fairy tales.

Are the writers of those books the apostles of christ?

The writings of the NT are exclusive to the apostles of christ thereof, and they all died off in the 1st century ce.

What was done was to bring together the writings of this apostles = NT. QED.

See those that have the word of God:

(1 Thessalonians 2:13).
"For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

So, guy, see this below, it is this that has the word of God that was compiled and
item 10 in this post below shows how paul directed that congregation or early churches should exchange letters.

See:
peter:
1. "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness." (2 Peter 3:16-17).

Paul:
2. "The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write." (2 Thessalonians 3:17).

(note: every epistle)

3. "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." (2 Thessalonians 2:15).
(note: our epistle)

4. "And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments." (2 Timothy 4:12-13).

5. "Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction." (2 Corinthians 13:10).

6. "I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:" (1 Corinthians 5:9).

7. "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1 Corinthians 5:11).
(note: I have written unto you)

8. "Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not." (Galatians 1:20).
( I write unto you,)

9. "How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)" (Ephesians 3:3-4).

(note: as I wrote afore in few words,)

Congregations to exchange letters :

1. "And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea." (Colossians 4:16).

My Conclussion:
I am really afraid for you that somehow christ may have died in vein in your own case because of your looking at the wrong direction.

This are letters that the apostles wrote,
You have cause many people to lose faith and turn to atheism.

Now, can you provide the writers of those other books so that we consider how they can stand a chance against the writings of christ apostles.

The NT = writings of christ apostles.

Mumu all this scriptures you are here quoting how would you have known there were scriptures without the authourity of the catholic church
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 20, 2013
Nice one bro but let's examine your answers reasonably:

Reyginus: Let me try.

I believe firmly in sacred scriptures and I believe with all my being that sacred scriptures is inspired by God but...

A) The majority of Christians did not have ready access to the new testament as we do now.

B) At the time there were a lot of write-ups which have not been determined to be inspired by God; how did they know which to accept or reject?

C) The name Christian, to be fair, was not from the apostles but unbelievers, how do we then determine whether the name Christian is of God?

D) When Timothy taught that all scripture is inspired, did he have a reference point for his teaching e.g bible? If not, how do we determine that what he taught was inspired by God?

...I have other questions but I will stop here.

Reyginus:

I believe in the teachings of the apostles firmly. But I still have some questions...

A) Christ died and handed over to Peter (Apostles) to carry on. Do we now believe that the Apostles died without handing over to some other persons? If this is the case then won't it be appropriate to say that the Church Christ established and the teaching authority he gave the apostles died with the last apostle?

B) If (A) is wrong and there was some form of hand over, who then did they hand over to?

C) Since the Apostles seem to be the only "credible" reference point, are we saying that the holy spirit stopped inspiring men to teach the church like the apostles did?

D) If (C) is the case, can't we conclude that the holy spirit have abandoned the church a long time ago and all we have now are all fakes?

...Let me stop here. I have more though.

#Let's think about the above prayerfuly and see if anyone can come up with plausible answers.

Thanks!
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 10:47am On Mar 20, 2013
striktlymi: [size=15pt]Questions from an observer:

The writings of the APOSTLES were the only true guide.

Many faction with divers doctrine And philosophy of men that contradict the words of the apostles were the norms.

The most powerful sect with arms/power carries the day. Winner takes all not minding what the words of the apostles says then.

Today, the words and writings of the apostles are the best bet for all lovers of truth.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 20, 2013
truthislight:

The writings of the APOSTLES were the only true guide.

Many faction with divers doctrine And philosophy of men that contradict the words of the apostles were the norms.

The most powerful sect with arms/power carries the day. Winner takes all not minding what the words of the apostles says then.

Today, the words and writings of the apostles are the best bet for all lovers of truth.

Good morning truthislight,

The above makes a whole lot of sense. Kindly refer to the questions I directed at Rey.

Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply)

Science Disproves Evolution / Police Interrogates Biodun Fatoyinbo Over Rape Allegation By Busola Dakolo / The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.