Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance (4674 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Relics / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 7:36am On Aug 17, 2013
Also see: https://www.nairaland.com/1389121/catholism-focus-relics

The Roman Catholic Church has often held mortification of the flesh (literally, "putting the flesh to death" ), as a worthy spiritual discipline.

St. Dominic Loricatus (995–1060) is said to have performed 'One Hundred Years Penance' by chanting 20 psalters accompanied by 300,000 lashes over six days.

Saint Francis of Assisi is said to have practice self-afflicted penances including vigils, fasts, frequent flagellations and the use of a hairshirt.

In the Litany prayers to Saint Ignatius of Loyola is praised as being “constant in the practice of corporal penance.” He wore a hair shirt and heavy iron chain, and was in the habit of wearing a cord tied below the knee

St. Teresa of Ávila, a Doctor of the Church, undertook severe mortification once it was suggested by friends that her supernatural ecstasies were of diabolical origin. She believed she was goaded by angels and had a passion to conform her life to the sufferings of Jesus, with a motto associated with her: "Lord, either let me suffer or let me die." (wikipedia)

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 7:47am On Aug 17, 2013
Recent theology affirms the practice of mortification. The catechism of the Catholic Church states: “The way of perfection passes by way of the Cross. There is no holiness without renunciation and spiritual battle. Spiritual progress entails the ascesis and mortification that gradually lead to living in the peace and joy The Beatitudes” (n. 2015).
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 17, 2013
[/quote]St. Dominic Loricatus (995–1060) is said to have performed 'One Hundred Years Penance' by chanting 20 psalters accompanied by 300,000 lashes over six day [quote]

Bros me u go skul sef? A man who lived for 65 years performed a 100 years old penence? Na waa for uoo.

Back to mortification even the apostle paul did much more
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 8:14am On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: St. Dominic Loricatus (995–1060) is said to have performed 'One Hundred Years Penance' by chanting 20 psalters accompanied by 300,000 lashes over six day

Bros me u go skul sef? A man who lived for 65 years performed a 100 years old penence? Na waa for uoo.

"By a fantastic arithmetic, a year of penance was taxed at three thousand lashes; and such was the skill and patience of a famous hermit, Saint Dominic of the iron Cuirass, that in six days he could discharge an entire century, by a whipping of three hundred thousand stripes. His example was followed by many penitents of both sexes; and, as a vicarious sacrifice was accepted, a sturdy disciplinarian might expiate on his own back the sins of his benefactors."
Dominic is said to have performed these lashes while reciting the psalms, with 100 lashes for each psalm. 30 psalms (3000 strokes) made penance for one year of sin; the entire psalter redeemed 5 years, while 20 psalters (300,000 strokes) redeemed one hundred years - hence the 'One Hundred Years Penance' St. Dominic is said to have performed in six days, over Lent.
In calculating these lashes one is left with these numbers: 50,000 lashes per day. Assuming Dominic was awake for 20 hours a day, that gives 2,500 lashes per hour, which would result in 41 lashes per minute.

I hope you understand now, take time to study more of your church doctrines perhaps you will see the heresies we have been telling you guys about.

By the way, how many whipping have you given yourself?
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 8:17am On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: St. Dominic Loricatus (995–1060) is said to have performed 'One Hundred Years Penance' by chanting 20 psalters accompanied by 300,000 lashes over six day

Lets have the verses on that
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 17, 2013
Bros you did not answer my kweshion.

How did a man who lived for 65 years able to do a penence for 100 years.

To your other points, mortification is voluntary and not a church doctrine
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 8:31am On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: Bros you did not answer my kweshion.

How did a man who lived for 65 years able to do a penence for 100 years.

To your other points, mortification is voluntary and not a church doctrine

Chukuwdi !!!!, dont you know the definition of doctrine according to your church, you havent been reading your catechism!!!!. You should give yourself 50 slaps and 100 koboko whippings as mortification for saying the bold

Now go to my #3 post for response on your question
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 8:45am On Aug 17, 2013
In the early twentieth century, the child seers of Fatima said they had initially seen an angel, who said: "In every way you can offer sacrifice to God in reparation for the sins by which He is offended, and in supplication for sinners. In this way you will bring peace to our country, for I am its guardian angel, the Angel of Portugal. Above all, bear and accept with patience the sufferings God will send you."
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 8:46am On Aug 17, 2013
Lucia Santos later reported that the idea of making sacrifices was repeated several times by the Virgin Mary and that she had shown them a vision of hell which prompted them to ever more stringent self-mortifications to save souls. Among many other practices, Lucia wrote that she and her cousins wore tight cords around their waists, flogged themselves with stinging nettles, gave their lunches to beggars and abstained from drinking water on hot days.
Lucia wrote that Mary said God was pleased with their sacrifices and bodily penances.
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 8:53am On Aug 17, 2013
A cilice is an item worn on the body to inflict pain or discomfort. It is used by Catholics for Mortification and Penance

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 9:08am On Aug 17, 2013
Pope Paul VI also stated:
“The necessity of mortification of the flesh stands clearly revealed if we consider the fragility of our nature, in which, since Adam’s sin, flesh and spirit have contrasting desires. This exercise of bodily mortification — far removed from any form of stoicism — does not imply a condemnation of the flesh which the Son of God deigned to assume. On the contrary, mortification aims at the 'liberation' of man.”
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 9:55am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen!!

Haters be unknowingly helping us evangelize.

cheesy

How I wish more Catholics can be talking about the Church like this.

Thanks, Superior.

1 Like

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:17am On Aug 17, 2013
Fasting na mortification...

Night Vigil na mortification...

Flogging na mortification...
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:38am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen! 1 Corinthians 9:27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

[cf. NIV, Beck: "beat"; NEB: "bruise"; Williams: "beating and bruising"; Barclay: "batter"; NASB: "buffet"; NRSV: "punish"; NKJV: "discipline"; Wuest: "I beat my body black and blue and make it my abject slave"; Amplified: "I buffet my body -- handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships -- and subdue it"; Goodspeed: "I beat and bruise my body and make it my slave"; Moffatt: "I maul and master my body" ]
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 10:40am On Aug 17, 2013
italo: Amen! Amen! 1 Corinthians 9:27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

[cf. NIV, Beck: "beat"; NEB: "bruise"; Williams: "beating and bruising"; Barclay: "batter"; NASB: "buffet"; NRSV: "punish"; NKJV: "discipline"; Wuest: "I beat my body black and blue and make it my abject slave"; Amplified: "I buffet my body -- handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships -- and subdue it"; Goodspeed: "I beat and bruise my body and make it my slave"; Moffatt: "I maul and master my body" ]

So, how many times have you given yourself some blue and black beating
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:44am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen!

Ezekiel 4:1-8 "And you, O son of man, take a brick and lay it before you, and portray upon it a city, even Jerusalem; [2] and put siegeworks against it, and build a siege wall against it, and cast up a mound against it; set camps also against it, and plant battering rams against it round about. [3] And take an iron plate, and place it as an iron wall between you and the city; and set your face toward it, and let it be in a state of siege, and press the siege against it. This is a sign for the house of Israel. [4] "Then lie upon your left side, and I will lay the punishment of the house of Israel upon you; for the number of the days that you lie upon it, you shall bear their punishment. [5] For I assign to you a number of days, three hundred and ninety days, equal to the number of the years of their punishment; so long shall you bear the punishment of the house of Israel. [6] And when you have completed these, you shall lie down a second time, but on your right side, and bear the punishment of the house of Judah; forty days I assign you, a day for each year. [7] And you shall set your face toward the siege of Jerusalem, with your arm bared; and you shall prophesy against the city. [8] And, behold, I will put cords upon you, so that you cannot turn from one side to the other, till you have completed the days of your siege."
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 10:44am On Aug 17, 2013
The Flagrum is a type of scourge with small hard objects attached to the length of its cords. It is traditionally used to whip oneself (self-flagellation). The flagrum is held in one hand and thrown over the shoulder in order to cause the cords to strike the flesh. The purpose of self-flagellation is voluntary penance and mortification of the flesh.

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:46am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen!

Jeremiah 41:5 eighty men arrived from Shechem and Shiloh and Sama'ria, with their beards shaved and their clothes torn, and their bodies gashed, bringing cereal offerings and incense to present at the temple of the LORD.
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 10:47am On Aug 17, 2013
Pope John XXIII, who convened the Second Vatican Council, taught in Paenitentiam Agere, an encyclical he wrote on July 1, 1962:
But the faithful must also be encouraged to do outward acts of penance, both to keep their bodies under the strict control of reason and faith, and to make amends for their own and other people's sins... St. Augustine issued the same insistent warning: "It is not enough for a man to change his ways for the better and to give up the practice of evil, unless by painful penance, sorrowing humility, the sacrifice of a contrite heart and the giving of alms he makes amends to God for all that he has done wrong."
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:51am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen!

Ezra 9:1-8 After these things had been done, the officials approached me and said, "The people of Israel and the priests and the Levites have not separated themselves from the peoples of the lands with their abominations, from the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Per'izzites, the Jeb'usites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites. [2] For they have taken some of their daughters to be wives for themselves and for their sons; so that the holy race has mixed itself with the peoples of the lands. And in this faithlessness the hand of the officials and chief men has been foremost." [3] When I heard this, I rent my garments and my mantle, and pulled hair from my head and beard, and sat appalled. [4] Then all who trembled at the words of the God of Israel, because of the faithlessness of the returned exiles, gathered round me while I sat appalled until the evening sacrifice. [5] And at the evening sacrifice I rose from my fasting, with my garments and my mantle rent, and fell upon my knees and spread out my hands to the LORD my God, [6] saying: "O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift my face to thee, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads, and our guilt has mounted up to the heavens. [7] From the days of our fathers to this day we have been in great guilt; and for our iniquities we, our kings, and our priests have been given into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, to plundering, and to utter shame, as at this day. [8] But now for a brief moment favor has been shown by the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant, and to give us a secure hold within his holy place, that our God may brighten our eyes and grant us a little reviving in our bondage. (cf. Jer 48:37)
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:54am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen!

Penance and mortification is rooted in scripture.

2 Samuel 12:16-17 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in and lay all night upon the ground. [17] And the elders of his house stood beside him, to raise him from the ground; but he would not, nor did he eat food with them.
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 10:57am On Aug 17, 2013
Amen! Amen!

Penance and mortification is deeply rooted in scripture!
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 17, 2013
grin grin grin
grin
Chei see finishing!!!
Italo abegi free this maga naaa.He still has to raise money for his Daddy GO private jet and 3km church
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 11:35am On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: grin grin grin
grin
Chei see finishing!!!
Italo abegi free this maga naaa.He still has to raise money for his Daddy GO private jet and 3km church

Abi o. Make e go raise 1billion naira for Adeboye.
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 17, 2013
superior1: The Flagrum is a type of scourge with small hard objects attached to the length of its cords. It is traditionally used to whip oneself (self-flagellation). The flagrum is held in one hand and thrown over the shoulder in order to cause the cords to strike the flesh. The purpose of self-flagellation is voluntary penance and mortification of the flesh.
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1255933_pp-flagrum4-tm_jpg23a443589f8985bf90359dda3e0cd18c[/img]

What is this! So self mutilation is acceptable by the Roman Catholic church??

1 Like

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 12:01pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

What is this! So self mutilation is acceptable by the Roman Catholic church??

It picks and tears at your skin. Yeah, Catholics practice self mutilation.
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 12:09pm On Aug 17, 2013
italo: Amen! Amen!

Ezekiel 4:1-8 "And you, O son of man, take a brick and lay it before you, and portray upon it a city, even Jerusalem; [2] and put siegeworks against it, and build a siege wall against it, and cast up a mound against it; set camps also against it, and plant battering rams against it round about. [3] And take an iron plate, and place it as an iron wall between you and the city; and set your face toward it, and let it be in a state of siege, and press the siege against it. This is a sign for the house of Israel. [4] "Then lie upon your left side, and I will lay the punishment of the house of Israel upon you; for the number of the days that you lie upon it, you shall bear their punishment. [5] For I assign to you a number of days, three hundred and ninety days, equal to the number of the years of their punishment; so long shall you bear the punishment of the house of Israel. [6] And when you have completed these, you shall lie down a second time, but on your right side, and bear the punishment of the house of Judah; forty days I assign you, a day for each year. [7] And you shall set your face toward the siege of Jerusalem, with your arm bared; and you shall prophesy against the city. [8] And, behold, I will put cords upon you, so that you cannot turn from one side to the other, till you have completed the days of your siege."

By this verse you meant to show God instructs Christians to brutalize their bodies, yes?
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 12:11pm On Aug 17, 2013
italo: Amen! Amen!

Penance and mortification is deeply rooted in scripture!

You have not shown despite rambling through the Bible where Christians are directed to beat themselves with scourge so as to remain spiritual. Just show me one, ok?
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 17, 2013
superior1:
It picks and tears at your skin. Yeah, Catholics practice self mutilation.

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 12:14pm On Aug 17, 2013
Confraternities of the Cord are groups who wear a knotted cord around their waist as a form of penance and in order to help prevent future sins. The cord can be worn loosely in remembrance of the Saint for whom the cord is named, or it can be worn tight enough to cause pain, as has been the case with numerous saints in history.

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 12:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
Galatians 5:16

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

We do not need to beat ourselves with chains, nails and irons to subdue the flesh from sinning, we only need to tune and depend on the Holy Spirit of God
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by superior1: 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2013
1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We do not need any mortification. Mortification is a pagan practice and shouldn't be associated with Christianity

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Many Pastors Will Go To Hell – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / Medieval Catholic Indulgences Versus The Tithe Doctrine / Does "Islamic" Terrorism Really Stem From Islam? Or Is It All Propaganda?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.