Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection - Religion (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection (21159 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance / Catholism- Focus On Relics / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 2:51pm On Apr 12, 2013
And here the Roman Catholic Church implicitly notes the oxymoronic effect of calling itself "Catholic".

Para 4 of http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html

Nevertheless, the divisions among Christians prevent the Church from attaining the fullness of catholicity proper to her, in those of her sons who, though attached to her by Baptism, are yet separated from full communion with her. Furthermore, the Church herself finds it more difficult to express in actual life her full catholicity in all her bearings.

Just a round about way of saying that the Roman Catholic Church is not truly catholic. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
Now, I've been accused on this thread and a number of others of only quoting part of Ignatius' statement on "catholic Church"; I was even called a "fraud" for it.

Now look who has done exactly the same thing? It is only the Roman Catholic Church"! Oh, and it only did it in its Catechism! smiley

830 The word “catholic” means “universal,” in the sense of “according to the totality” or “in keeping with the whole.” The Church is catholic in a double sense: (795, 815-816)

First, the Church is catholic because Christ is present in her. “Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.”307 In her subsists the fullness of Christ’s body united with its head; this implies that she receives from him “the fullness of the means of salvation”308 which he has willed: correct and complete confession of faith, full sacramental life, and ordained ministry in apostolic succession. The Church was, in this fundamental sense, catholic on the day of Pentecost309 and will always be so until the day of the Parousia.

So who is the fraud now? wink

And, truly, there is indeed an element of fraud in the use of Ignatius' statement in this quote above.

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:38am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ You want to perform the tasks I set him? Or you too are not brave enough?

cool
hehehe, u are afraid of his question and you resorted to cheap insult.

That is gross
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:45am On Apr 13, 2013
Reyginus: This one really bothers me. Can the pope be infallible?
you said infalliability is imposible without impecability. And at the same time u believe in 1st and 2nd pt, peter taught infallably while he wasn't impacable.
Isn't this hypocrisy?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: hehehe, u are afraid of his question and you resorted to cheap insult.

That is gross

Where is the fear and what insult?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:58am On Apr 13, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Where is the fear and what insult?

I wonder oh, bros, I wonderment!

Meanwhile the concerned fellow don mellow small after reading the thread on the Orthodox Catholic Church (aka Eastern Orthodox Church). wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:59am On Apr 13, 2013
Ihend, this is what i call cheap insult.
Enigma: ^^^ Crybaby. grin

Keep up the lying and slandering. It's all cool. smiley

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:01am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: Ihend, this is what i call cheap insult.

Who was that directed to and what did that person say or do before it?

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:04am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: And here the Roman Catholic Church implicitly notes the oxymoronic effect of calling itself "Catholic".

Para 4 of http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html

Just a round about way of saying that the Roman Catholic Church is not truly catholic. wink

smiley
what is hidden in that text? What is confusing you? The catholicity of christ body isn't fully realised and many xtians are in schism and others in some shops of men.
The same thing also applies to the unity among xtians! What is it that you missed?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:08am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: Now, I've been accused on this thread and a number of others of only quoting part of Ignatius' statement on "catholic Church"; I was even called a "fraud" for it.

Now look who has done exactly the same thing? It is only the Roman Catholic Church"! Oh, and it only did it in its Catechism! smiley

And, truly, there is indeed an element of fraud in the use of Ignatius' statement in this quote above.

cool

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:11am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: Now, I've been accused on this thread and a number of others of only quoting part of Ignatius' statement on "catholic Church"; I was even called a "fraud" for it.

look again, that quote mentions "full and complete confession of faith, sacramental life and ordained ministry with apostolic sucession" as components of dat catholicity, did you miss that part?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:13am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma:

I wonder oh, bros, I wonderment!

Meanwhile the concerned fellow don mellow small after reading the thread on the Orthodox Catholic Church (aka Eastern Orthodox Church). wink

smiley
i don't know d reason kay isn't here but clearly you didnt answer his question! And i still ask ya to answer it.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:17am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: i don't know d reason kay isn't here but clearly you didnt answer his question! And i still ask ya to answer it.

And I ask again, are you afraid to perform the tasks I set him?

Perform the tasks, I answer the question. That's deal. Otherwise, you can keep asking till kingdom come.

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:17am On Apr 13, 2013
Kay 17:

Ok, I will concede to your definition and leave that issue for another time.

Given your definition, can you point out any used by the Christians before the 4th century. Note that a individual texts themselves don't count as a collection, rather a number of individual texts adopted together

I wouldn't mind historical references too.
this is the question.
Peace.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:20am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma:

And I ask again, are you afraid to perform the tasks I set him?

Perform the tasks, I answer the question. That's deal. Otherwise, you can keep asking till kingdom come.

cool
you "task" is simply an interesting spin to a simple question. Provide a canon before d 4th century, simple
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:20am On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ If you can find the question, you should also be able to find the tasks I set him.

Find the tasks; perform the tasks; I answer the question. Easy peasy, no problemo!

Meanwhile, see my response above to your allegation of "cheap insult"; let's hear what you have to say.

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 1:56am On Apr 13, 2013
@ubenedictus

'Crybaby' is an insult? Or the part about lying etc?

And what about the fear?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: you said infalliability is imposible without impecability. And at the same time u believe in 1st and 2nd pt, peter taught infallably while he wasn't impacable.
Isn't this hypocrisy?
I don't quite get you. Could you please rephrase?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 8:27am On Apr 13, 2013
Ihedinobi: @ubenedictus
'Crybaby' is an insult? Or the part about lying etc?
And what about the fear?
now my dear, if crybaby isn't a cheap insult then whatelse is?
Its been 2 pages now since the question was asked and he is giving "tasks" that are unrelated to the question. That is what i call fear.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 8:38am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: now my dear, if crybaby isn't a cheap insult then whatelse is?

Who was the word directed to and what did he do or say? wink

Ubenedictus: Its been 2 pages now since the question was asked and he is giving "tasks" that are unrelated to the question. That is what i call fear.

And your inability to perform the tasks is what I call fear and/or duplicity; because performance of the tasks will expose the falsehood of the position of the Roman Catholic aologists --- without me even having to bother to say much more than I've done already. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 8:43am On Apr 13, 2013
Reyginus: This one really bothers me. Can the pope be infallible?
reginus refering to your post on april 12 at 8:51, you said without impecability, infallibility is imposible! I responded by telling you that the above principle will render the bible fallible! Peter was pecable and yet he wrote 1st and 2nd peter and we all believes those words are infalliable. So my question is, you claim infalibility is imposible without impecability, at the same time you believe 1st and 2nd peter to be infallible while peter himself isn't impecable. Isn't that hypocrisy?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 8:47am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma:
And your inability to perform the tasks is what I call fear and/or duplicity; because performance of the tasks will expose the falsehood of the position of the Roman Catholic aologists --- without me even having to bother to say much more than I've done already. wink
smiley
this is again a long attempt to derial the discussion. A list before d 4th century and you are giving task of people that existed in d 4th century. I expected you to simply give d list. Your inability to do so is pitiful.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 8:48am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma:

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 8:51am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: this is again a long attempt to derial the discussion. A list before d 4th century and you are giving task of people that existed in d 4th century. I expected you to simply give d list. Your inability to do so is pitiful.

I also find your inability to perform the tasks pitiful and your excuses duplicitous. Simples.

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 8:54am On Apr 13, 2013
Meanwhile read this earlier post of mine and see that I have even started to answer the question despite the cowardice of you and others to perform the basic tasks set! wink

https://www.nairaland.com/1104124/problem-catholism-an-introspection/21#15206811

Enigma: For those interested in genuinely understanding this issue of "canons of the Bible", and able to put 2 and 2 together, but perhaps not for those keen on propagating and spreading falsehoods, here is something to ponder:

http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/39/

Question Number 39:

What is the Old Testament canon of the Orthodox Church? Is the Apocrypha recognized as canonical?

ANSWER:
The Orthodox Old Testament includes both canonical (or protocanonical) books and supplemental books which are not considered canonical (i.e. protocanonical) but deuterocanonical or in Greek Anaginoskomena ("to be read" ).

Deuterocanonical is used here in a sense that is different than the Roman Catholic sense. In Roman Catholic terminology, "deuterocanonical" means approved later but with the same canonical authority. In the Orthodox use, "deuterocanonical" means having secondary authority, but useful and part of the Biblical library (no Orthodox Bible would not contain them). The Scriptures testify to Jesus Christ and since neither Protestants nor Jews recognize these Scriptures, their power to serve as witness is inferior. However, they are read in the Orthodox churches and have great value.

This view is faithful to the position of the earliest Christians (i.e. Justin, Origen) as well as the distinction connected with Athanasius and other important Fathers.

smiley

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: this is again a long attempt to derial the discussion. A list before d 4th century and you are giving task of people that existed in d 4th century. I expected you to simply give d list. Your inability to do so is pitiful.

And I consider you guys' insistence on avoiding the tasks he gave and replying with unwarranted insults and rather bogus accusations proof that you realize that performing those tasks will answer Kay 17's question in a manner that will demolish your arguments.

If you are not afraid that the tasks will effectively put paid to your arguments, why have you guys not even attempted to answer his question and make clear as day that Enigma is only avoiding the issue when he fails to respond in kind with his own answer?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 10:02am On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ Meanwhile he is the very same person who claimed earler on this same thread that Jerome must have had a "canon" before translating. He was going to base that on the fraudulent claim related to some Council of Rome until that was knocked down. wink

So once the Council of Rome thing is knocked out, what "canon" was Jerome using and what "canon" did he refer to - that being one of the questions in the tasks I set Kay17 originally. smiley

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 10:29am On Apr 13, 2013
Let me even make the tasks a little easier somewhat still:

Here is Athanasius of Alexandria in a document going back to AD 367 (remember that even the 'Council of Rome' which is used for the fraudulent claim is dated AD 382 some 15 years later than this Athanasius' document).

Quoted from 39th Festal Epistle of AD 367 http://www.bible-researcher.com/athanasius.html

3. In proceeding to make mention of these things, I shall adopt, to commend my undertaking, the pattern of Luke the evangelist, saying on my own account, Forasmuch as some have taken in hand to reduce into order for themselves the books termed Apocryphal, and to mix them up with the divinely inspired Scripture, concerning which we have been fully persuaded, as they who from the beginning were eye-witnesses and ministers of the Word, delivered to the Fathers; it seemed good to me also, having been urged thereto by true brethren, and having learned from the beginning, to set before you the books included in the Canon, and handed down, and accredited as divine; to the end that anyone who has fallen into error may condemn those who have led them astray; and that he who has continued steadfast in purity may again rejoice, having these things brought to his remembrance.

To keep things brief, I omit the rest listing the books he considered canonical.

Now see the words "the canon" which I bolded in blue? What did Athanasisus mean by "the Canon"?

Remember this was before each or any of the things/events which the Roman Catholics like to claim is where "they" established "the canon"!

That is, before any of the Council of Rome 382 (already shown to be dodgy), the African Synod of Hippo 393, the African Synods of Carthage 397 etc. --- let alone the real place where the Roman Catholics truly set their canon, at least finally, if they want to be honest --- i.e. Council of Trent 1546 etc! (Edited)

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 11:25am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: Meanwhile read this earlier post of mine and see that I have even started to answer the question despite the cowardice of you and others to perform the basic tasks set! wink

https://www.nairaland.com/1104124/problem-catholism-an-introspection/21#15206811

oh, i saw that, and believe me it didn't answer the question, you were asked to provide a link before the 4th century, not what some orthodox christian thinks about the deuterocanon.
It would interest you to note that the view espouse above is not widely accepted in the orthodox church and even rejected by others.
These orthodox site show what i mean http://st-takla.org/pub_Deuterocanon/Deuterocanon-Apocrypha_El-Asfar_El-Kanoneya_El-Tanya__O-index.html
http://www.suscopts.org/evangelism/frames/know_your_bible.html
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 11:25am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: Meanwhile read this earlier post of mine and see that I have even started to answer the question despite the cowardice of you and others to perform the basic tasks set! wink

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:28am On Apr 13, 2013
^^^

Answer this post
Enigma:

Who was the word* directed to and what did he do or say? ....

* i.e. 'crybaby'

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 11:31am On Apr 13, 2013
Ihedinobi:

And I consider you guys' insistence on avoiding the tasks he gave and replying with unwarranted insults and rather bogus accusations proof that you realize that performing those tasks will answer Kay 17's question in a manner that will demolish your arguments.

If you are not afraid that the tasks will effectively put paid to your arguments, why have you guys not even attempted to answer his question and make clear as day that Enigma is only avoiding the issue when he fails to respond in kind with his own answer?
because enigmas' task has nothing to do with the question he was ask. I ask for a president before 1999 and he is asking me to study the life of alhaji musa yar'adua and publish a report on it. That is a deviation

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance / Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) / Debo Adeleye: Why You Should Not Marry For Sex (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.