Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection - Religion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection (21128 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance / Catholism- Focus On Relics / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 8:42pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: The posts are there; I'm not quoting anything again. I see your post above as wriggling instead of doing the honourable thing.

I am even minded to end discussing with you here and now. Afterall I was discussing with Kay17 originally, and I guess he'd be back at some point.
smiley
hehehe, i'm wringling? You are d guy saying church fathers aren't roman catholic because you introduced a false difference between catholics and roman catholics in the 4th century. Tell me about wriggling.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 8:45pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma:

Cheap and unworthy nonsense. Whoever said they were "protestants"? All I have ever said is that they were not Roman Catholics. That is the pretense and false impression that the Roman Catholics have been spreading to hoodwink people --- especially in the Western world. wink
smiley
u have again decided to differentiate between catholics and roman catholics in d 4th century. That is a good example of "hoodwinkin"
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 8:59pm On Apr 13, 2013
Hitherto the Roman Catholics had not acknowledged the canon presented by Athanasius let alone the one he said was handed down.

They relied on some "canon" at the Council of Rome 382 ----- forgery. grin

Then Synod of Hippo; na lie, that one na regional African synod. wink

Then Synods of Carthage; another lie; those ones too na regional African synods. wink

Now in their off-guard moments some Roman Catholic writers acknowledge that there was a canon or there were canons elsewhere at some points. Here is one example from a Roman Catholic source which I first posted on page 16 of this very thread (our local apologists did not realise its implication then of course). smiley

From http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

Origen's travels gave him exception opportunities to know the traditions of widely separated portions of the Church and made him very conversant with the discrepant attitudes toward certain parts of the New Testament. He divided books with Biblical claims into three classes:

those universally received;
those whose Apostolicity was questions;
apocryphal works.

In the first class, the Homologoumena, stood the Gospels, the thirteen Pauline Epistles, Acts, Apocalypse, I Peter, and I John. The contested writings were Hebrews, II Peter, II and III John, James, Jude, Barnabas, the Shepherd of Hermas, the Didache, and probably the Gospel of the Hebrews. Personally, Origen accepted all of these as Divinely inspired, though viewing contrary opinions with toleration. Origen's authority seems to have given to Hebrews and the disputed Catholic Epistles a firm place in the Alexandrian Canon, their tenure there having been previously insecure, judging from the exegetical work of Clement, and the list in the Codex Claromontanus, which is assigned by competent scholars to an early Alexandrian origin.

What did the Roman Catholic source mean by "Alexandrian Canon"? grin

Meanwhile the reference to Origen means I can even take the process of canonisation back some 100/150 years before Athanasius already. smiley
smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 9:14pm On Apr 13, 2013
Meanwhile I recall that there was some discussion about "papal infallibility" earlier. Well, anyone interested in that other shibboleth may find the post in the link below interesting. smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/1232981/italo-debosky-others-re-bible/8#15224044

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:06pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: .... Meanwhile the reference to Origen means I can even take the process of canonisation back some 100/150 years before Athanasius already. smiley

And if with Origen, we identify a written list going back as early as the 200s, we can still go further back in terms of written lists to circa 170-180 with the canon and books listed in the Muratorian Fragment.

This is before we now go to the books cited as sacred scriptures by the "church fathers". Not going that far back yet, Irenaeus quotes from every book of the present New Testament except two; many would say 25/27 is pretty good going! smiley

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:20pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ah, I remember someone earlier saying Athanasius would call himself "Catholic". Of course --- but not in the Roman Catholic sense. And he was emphatically NOT a Roman Catholic. wink

And as if to confirm it, an important document issued by the Roman Catholic Church would seem to be suggesting that people like Athanasius are not "Catholic" -- in the Roman Catholic oxymoronic sense of course!

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html

Moreover, in the East are found the riches of those spiritual traditions which are given expression especially in monastic life. There from the glorious times of the holy Fathers, monastic spirituality flourished which, then later flowed over into the Western world, and there provided the source from which Latin monastic life took its rise and has drawn fresh vigor ever since. Catholics therefore are earnestly recommended to avail themselves of the spiritual riches of the Eastern Fathers which lift up the whole man to the contemplation of the divine.

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:30pm On Apr 13, 2013
And to confirm the point above, as of today the Roman Catholic Church does not consider the present members of the Church to which Athanasius belonged to be "Catholics", let alone Roman Catholics.

Sheer rubbish!

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 7:34am On Apr 14, 2013
Of the word "catholic" as an adjective.

And of distinction between the small 'c' catholic and the capital 'C' "Catholic" as in "The Roman Catholic Church" or even "The Catholic Church".*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me say from the outset that the point of this post is to show that at the time when the Bible was written and initially "compiled", there was NO such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church" or even "The Catholic Church".

Yep, and I repeat: there was NO such thing as "The Roman Catholic Church" or "The Catholic Church" at the time when the Bible was written and initally "compiled".

A. The Old Testament

Obviously, the Old Testament was written even before Jesus Christ. So how it can be said that the Roman Catholic Church or "The Catholic Church" wrote or "compiled" that must be something that only the ignorant, fraudulent or deluded are capable of!

B. The so-called 'Apocrypha' or so-called "deuterocanonical" books

Here we are talking about books in the Roman Catholic Bible and at least in some "Protestant" Bibles (e.g. KJV for a long time), and supposedly/allegedly part of the Old Testament, which at least some Christians accept for some purposes even if not as 'canonical'.

Again as these were written even before Christ and were in The Septuagint, it would take an ignorant, fraudulent or extremely deluded person to claim they were written or "compiled" by The Roman Catholic Church or even "The Catholic Church".

TBC and to deal with New Testament etc separately.

smiley

*NB I am using the expression "The Catholic Church" (with the capitals) in the sense that the Roman Catholic Church tends to claim nowadays or, occasionally, in the Theodosian sense. (Edited)

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 14, 2013
Ubenedictus: now you've missed thing up again, there wasn't a time we had two popes! Instead there was a time we had two people claiming to be the pope. That simply means one was pope and the other was the anti-pope. The pope had the infallibility and the anti pope was either a schismatic or an heretic Or both.
Peace.
I don't agree with you. My reason being that the catholics these two popes represented saw them as the head.
Take a look at this link..
http://www.christian-history.org/western-great-schism.html#sthash.K8N4wPwf.dpbs
Before the Western Great Schism came a time
sometimes called the Babylonian Captivity of the
Church; a time when the pope, the bishop of
Rome, ruled not from Rome but from Avignon. In A.D. 1294 Benedetto Gaetani was elected and
took the name of Pope Boniface VIII. Europe was
in great conflict at the time. In Germany, Albrecht
I, son of former German king Rudolph I, was
trying to regain the throne from Adolf of Nassau.
England and France were threatening each other in what would eventually become the Hundred
Years War. There was also conflict over the papal throne,
which the powerful Colonna family of Italy had
hoped to obtain. Boniface VIII was a skilled and experienced
player of power politics, however, and he went
rapidly to work. He was able to overthrow the
Colonna family and seize their lands by calling a
crusade. He also obtained a favorable peace with
Albrecht of Hapsburg, but he was not so fortunate in France. Long, intense political battles that don't belong on
this web site raged for almost a decade with
Philip IV of France, and Philip proved to be the
better politician. In the midst of a losing battle,
Boniface resorted to his strongest weapon,
excommunication. Philip found out about this, however, and, using
an alliance with Boniface's enemies in the
Colonna family, sent a party in to kidnap the
pope. (It appears the mafia was at work even in
the 14th century!) Their intention was to force the pope to resign.
He refused, even at threat of death. So his captors
sat him backwards on a horse and paraded him
through his home town. Boniface's political failures meant he had few
defenders, even in his native Italy. The battle
with Philip was over. Boniface died not long after, and Philip, not
wishing to continue fighting a pope, gathered
French cardinals and elected Pope Clement V in
Avignon in 1305. Clement, a political puppet,
never set foot in Rome during his entire papacy.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 14, 2013
Reyginus: I don't agree with you. My reason being that the catholics these two popes represented saw them as the head.
Rome, ruled not from Rome but from Avignon. In A.D. 1294 Benedetto Gaetani was elected and
England and France were threatening each other in what would eventually become the Hundred
Albrecht of Hapsburg, but he was not so fortunate in France. Long, intense political battles that don't belong on
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 9:01am On Apr 14, 2013
Continuation 1

And of distinction between the small 'c' catholic and the capital 'C' "Catholic" as in "The Roman Catholic Church" or even "The Catholic Church".*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. The New Testament

In fairness, this one is a bit complicated and care needs to be taken when trying to identify who "compiled" it.

Today, in the West, both Roman Catholics and "Protestants" accept 27 books as books of the New Testament. There have always been other books written in the Christian era which have not been accepted into the present New Testament -- which again is same for both Roman Catholics and "Protestants".

1. Authorship of New Testament Books

The authors are believed to be the apostles of Jesus Christ or people connected or associated with them. The authors were not members of the Roman Catholic Church or even of "The Catholic Church". Therefore any claim by Roman Catholics that they "wrote" the New Testament is patently false and a blatant lie.

2. Date of Writing and the Issue of "Compilation"

These 27 books are widely believed to have been written by 100-110 AD (though some scholars argue slightly later for some books). See an example of claimed timelines here http://www.freebeginning.com/new_testament_dates/ and a second example here http://www.newtestamenthistorytimeline.com/

We know from the Bible itself that some of the books of the New Testament were already in circulation among the early Christian Communities e.g. 2 Peter 3: 15-17; Colossians 4:16 etc. In fact, it is believed that even in the apostolic era some of Paul's letters were already circulating as a collection. In other words, they were already "compiled"!

Furthermore, it is also known that some of the New Testament books were in circulation, if not indeed wide circulation among early Christians by AD 100. There is clear proof of this: letters by Clement of Rome in 97 AD, Ignatius of Antioch in c. 107 AD and Polycarp of Smyrna, close to that time as well, all quote from the books of the New Testament and, between them, these three letters quote from almost all 27 books of present New Testament.

Obviously, the books were written and also the books were already being "compiled" that early on. They were already being "compiled" before there was any such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church" or even "The Catholic Church"!

Now, the complication is (a) that there was considerable debate and even doubt as to whether to accept some books as 'canonical' even including some of the books in the present New Testament; and (b) that eventually some extant books were rejected as not being 'canonical'; some were wholly rejected; some were seen as very useful even though not 'canonical' - two examples being The Didache and The Shepherd of Hermas.

Now how were some rejected and others accepted: it was by certain recognitions and practices of various church communities and respected early Christians (sometimes being believed to be students of the apostles). Very early on, again even before the era of "The Catholic Church", most churches in different places had recognised and accepted the four gospels of today and the same is said of most of Paul's letters. In fact, it is claimed that in 1 Timothy 5:18 even Paul himself quotes Luke's gospel (Luke 10:7) as "scripture"! It is similarly claimed that when Peter referred to Paul's letters, he was referring to them as "scriptures". So, already, we can say we have very good guides about the status of some books already.

About others, as noted earlier, very soon there was consensus from practices of the churches and of respected early Christians on some books as accepted, on some as disputed, and on some as rejected. Nevertheless, by the time of the Muratorian Canon (c.170-180 AD) and of Origen in early 200s AD, we already had the 27 book NT canon largely taking shape. Note that at this point, this was before the era when "The Catholic Church" had become exclusive and at a point when, strictly speaking, there was not any such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church" but simply "the Church of Rome"! And the Church of Rome alone did not mean "The Catholic Church"!

In AD 367, Athanasius of Alexandria listed the 27 books of today's New Testament as the books that make up the canon of the New Testament. This was before there was any such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church". It was also before the decree of Theodosius appropriating the word "Catholic" though, in fairness, by then some, e.g. Cyril as mentioned earlier, had already started to use the word "Catholic" in a sense to exclude others --- considering especially that this was after Nicea. Again, nevertheless it was at a point when, strictly speaking, there was not any such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church" but simply "the Church of Rome"! And the Church of Rome alone did not mean "The Catholic Church"!

TBC

smiley

*(Again NB I am using "The Catholic Church" in the sense that Roman Catholics tend to claim today or, occasionally, in the Theodosian sense)
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 12:35pm On Apr 14, 2013
Ubenedictus: hehehe, you meant with the traditions of the apostles abi?
seriously you need to go back and read that passage again. And pray for a little understanding!

the word of God doesn't seem have "boundaries" either its from scripture or tradition.
It is sharper than a two edged sword. Hehehe

You mean the word of God is without boundary = lawlessness, or the pope is the lawless man without boundary in the name of tradition?
cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:35pm On Apr 14, 2013
Continuation 2

And of distinction between the small 'c' catholic and the capital 'C' "Catholic" as in "The Roman Catholic Church" or even "The Catholic Church".

D. From catholic to "Catholic"!

In the earliest days of the community of Christians and at the time of writing and initial "compilation" of the New Testament, there was NO such thing as the Roman Catholic Church or even "The Catholic Church". At that time the specific word "catholic" whether in the small letter catholic as an adjective or in the capital letter "Catholic" as a noun had not been used in relation to the Christian Church at all.

At that time the Church was simply "the Church" i.e. "ekklesia", the "called out", the "separate"! Simples!

That the Church, singular, existed in various locations is depicted in the Bible with such usages as "the Church in Ephesus", "the Church at Corinth", "the Church that meets in your/their house" etc etc.

It was at that time just "the Church", i.e. what Jesus called "My Church" and thus is also known as "the Church of Christ" or as "the Christian Church".

It was circa 110 AD that the word "catholic" was first used in relation to "the Church" by Ignatius of Antioch --- and he was not a Roman Catholic! He did this in a letter. A reading of that letter indicates that he used the word "catholic" in its sense as an adjective, in relation to or qualifying "church", and not as a noun ('he katholike ekklesia'). There was NO such thing as "The Catholic Church" let alone Roman Catholic Church at this time!

Ignatius used the word catholic to mean "universal" and by "catholic church" he meant primarily "universal church"! Each local church under its "bishop" was part of a "whole", part of the universal (i.e. 'catholic') Church. Of course, the Bible has always indicated that the Church is one.

True, that later on (arguably much later on) some started to use the word "catholic" in relation to the Church to make distinctions; in particular, to separate themselves from other people also claiming to be Christians but who had some different beliefs and practices. This is much more noticeable in the 4th century (much much later on from when Ignatius first used the word) in the works of people like Cyril of Jerusalem. The culmination of this was the Edict of Thessalonica in AD 380 issued by Emperor Theodosius by which it was declared essentially that only Trinitarians were entitled to use the word "Catholic". Legally, this is when we can start to speak of "The Catholic Church"; strictly not even from Constantine and Edict of Milan which basically made sure that Christianity generally was now permitted and tolerated at law. Even then, this (enactment of either Milan or Thessalonica Edicts) did not mean or refer to the Roman Catholic Church. By this time anyway, Constantinople was already a major rival to Rome with some of its bishops even flexing muscles against other bishops including the then bishops of Rome; (this is partly what led Gregory I to write that letter saying anyone claiming to be 'universal bishop' was basically playing anti-Christ; someone please tell modern Roman Catholics!) wink

At this time, "The Catholic Church" consisted of Churches belonging to or associated with 4/5 primary Sees: Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem and Rome. Note that even at this stage, strictly speaking there still was no such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church". An interesting side bit: in a letter (Letter 44, I believe), Augustine of Hippo did not even feel it sufficient to leave it to assumption that the Bishop of Rome was a "Catholic"; he felt it necessary to mention it specifically: as in "X, bishop of Rome, himself a Catholic"! cheesy

In circa 1054, the Church of Rome which was the "Western Church" separated from the other Churches, the Eastern Church or Eastern Churches, in what is known as the Great Schism. With this Great Schism, that which was the erstwhile "The Catholic Church" became defunct! A number of factors were responsible for the Great Schism but one of them was that the other Churches rejected claims by the Church of Rome to have power over the other Churches.

On one view, this is when the Church of Rome together with 'subordinate' churches in the Western world who accepted its "powers" became what was later to be expressly called "the Roman Catholic Church". In the proper adjectival sense of the word "catholic", the expression "Roman Catholic" is an oxymoron because once the Church was broken and no longer one, it was no longer strictly catholic visibly. However, in the sense of use as a noun phrase the expression "the Roman Catholic Church" is understandable. However, strictly it was not till some 500 years later that this "Western Church" was called "the Roman Catholic Church". At this stage it was either the Church of Rome, the Roman Church, or the Western Church though it might have claimed to have been the continuation of the really now defunct "The Catholic Church".

As for the "Churches of the East" they became what we know generally as the Eastern Orthodox Church and they called themselves the "Orthodox Catholic Church". Again, in the proper adjectival sense of the word "catholic", the expression "Orthodox Catholic Church" is an oxymoron because once the Church was broken and no longer one, it was no longer strictly catholic visibly. But again in the sense of use as a noun phrase, "Orthodox Catholic" is understandable. They use the word "orthodox" to claim that they are the ones who truly represent continuity with the now defunct "The Catholic Church" and that they are the ones who truly keep to its "orthodoxy".

And this is why today we have two organisations laying claim to the word "Catholic" in noun form: "the Orthodox Catholic Church "on the one hand and "the Roman Catholic Church" on the other.

TBC

smiley

Next back to the small letter catholic i.e. back to catholic in the adjectival sense.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 2:01pm On Apr 14, 2013
Hehehe, lol.

Ubenedictus: oga hold it oh, if i were not busy at the moment, i would have open a thread for all the people you've insulted and believe me they will give you a thorough mouth washing. Better reconsider how you address people. Follow peace with all men.

The guy is a disaster i tell ya.

With his propensity to curse and call people "fool".

Smh for that guy.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 14, 2013
truthislight:

You mean the word of God is without boundary = lawlessness, or the pope is the lawless man without boundary in the name of tradition?
cool

The word of God is Jesus and not the bible.The bible was created by the catholic church hence the church comes first.

The scriptures in 1 tim 3:15 describes the church and not the bible as the pillar of faith.The catholic church had existed for almost 400 years without the bible.

The creation of the bible by the catholic church in the late fourth century does not mean everything is contained therein.Even the bible explicitly claims it does not contain everything.Even biblical authours had to quote oustside the bible.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 5:06pm On Apr 14, 2013
chukwudi44:

The word of God is Jesus and not the bible.The bible was created by the catholic church hence the church comes first.

The scriptures in 1 tim 3:15 describes the church and not the bible as the pillar of faith.The catholic church had existed for almost 400 years without the bible.

The creation of the bible by the catholic church in the late fourth century does not mean everything is contained therein.Even the bible explicitly claims it does not contain everything.Even biblical authours had to quote oustside the bible.

So the pope can do everything, i mean anything in the name of tradition = no boundary.

What then is lawlessness?
cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 14, 2013
truthislight:

So the pope can do everything, i mean anything in the name of tradition = no boundary.

What then is lawlessness?
cool

No one ever said that
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 6:08pm On Apr 14, 2013
The third part of the pieces I've been writing on catholic and "Catholic" is almost ready.

However, I feel rather guilty that to continue would possibly mean to hijack and totally derail this thread for which the OP has his particular purpose. Accordingly, I have started a new thread on that specific matter at the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/1257440/catholic-catholic-back-catholic

Cheers all!

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 14, 2013
Chukwudi, you strike me as someone with a good grasp of the catholic history and doctrine. With respect to papal infallibility how do you justify below. Which of the two can we say exhibited infallibility?
Reyginus: I don't agree with you. My reason being that the catholics these two popes represented saw them as the head.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 16, 2013
Reyginus: Chukwudi, you strike me as someone with a good grasp of the catholic history and doctrine. With respect to papal infallibility how do you justify below. Which of the two can we say exhibited infallibility?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 16, 2013
Conditions for teachings being declared infallible

Statements by a pope which exercise papal infallibility are referred to as "solemn papal definitions" or ex cathedra teachings. Also considered infallible are the teachings of the whole body of bishops of the Church, especially but not only in an ecumenical council[16] (see Infallibility of the Church).

According to the teaching of the First Vatican Council and Catholic tradition, the conditions required for ex cathedra papal teaching are as follows:

1. "the Roman Pontiff"

2. "speaks ex cathedra" ("that is, when in the discharge of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority"....)

3. "he defines"

4. "that a doctrine concerning faith or morals"

5. "must be held by the whole Church" (Pastor Aeternus, chap. 4)⁠[17]

For a teaching by a pope or ecumenical council to be recognized as infallible, the teaching must be a decision of the supreme teaching authority of the Church (pope or College of Bishops); it must concern a doctrine of faith or morals; it must bind the universal Church; and it must be proposed as something to be held firmly and immutably. The terminology of a definitive decree will usually make clear that this last condition is fulfilled, as through a formula such as "By the authority of Our Lord Jesus Christ and of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by Our own authority, We declare, pronounce and define the doctrine . . . to be revealed by God and as such to be firmly and immutably held by all the faithful", or through an accompanying anathema stating that anyone who deliberately dissents is outside the Catholic Church.[18]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
Enigma: Hitherto the Roman Catholics had not acknowledged the canon presented by Athanasius let alone the one he said was handed down.

They relied on some "canon" at the Council of Rome 382 ----- forgery. grin

Then Synod of Hippo; na lie, that one na regional African synod. wink

Then Synods of Carthage; another lie; those ones too na regional African synods. wink

Now in their off-guard moments some Roman Catholic writers acknowledge that there was a canon or there were canons elsewhere at some points. Here is one example from a Roman Catholic source which I first posted on page 16 of this very thread (our local apologists did not realise its implication then of course). smiley

From http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

What did the Roman Catholic source mean by "Alexandrian Canon"? grin

Meanwhile the reference to Origen means I can even take the process of canonisation back some 100/150 years before Athanasius already. smiley
smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2013
Enigma:

And if with Origen, we identify a written list going back as early as the 200s, we can still go further back in terms of written lists to circa 170-180 with the canon and books listed in the Muratorian Fragment.
i can't find the "origen list" and you wiki link says the muratorian fragment is dated bet d 2nd and 4th century. That is quite interesting.

This is before we now go to the books cited as sacred scriptures by the "church fathers". Not going that far back yet, Irenaeus quotes from every book of the present New Testament except two; many would say 25/27 is pretty good going! smiley cool
pretty good, shows his collection was still developing
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:16pm On Apr 16, 2013
Enigma: Ah, I remember someone earlier saying Athanasius would call himself "Catholic". Of course --- but not in the Roman Catholic sense. And he was emphatically NOT a Roman Catholic. wink

And as if to confirm it, an important document issued by the Roman Catholic Church would seem to be suggesting that people like Athanasius are not "Catholic" -- in the Roman Catholic oxymoronic sense of course!

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html
cool
you are still trying to state a difference between roman catholic and catholic of d 4th century. Athanasius was a catholic, the reference to "eastern fathers" in that quote is because the church fathers are broadly divided into western and eastern father, agustine who is a african is classified as a western father.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2013
Enigma: And to confirm the point above, as of today the Roman Catholic Church does not consider the present members of the Church to which Athanasius belonged to be "Catholics", let alone Roman Catholics.

Sheer rubbish!

smiley
sorry my dear, the orthodox christians are regarded as catholics though not in full communion.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2013
Enigma: Of the word "catholic" as an adjective.

Let me say from the outset that the point of this post is to show that at the time when the Bible was written and initially "compiled", there was NO such thing as "the Roman Catholic Church" or even "The Catholic Church".

Yep, and I repeat: there was NO such thing as "The Roman Catholic Church" or "The Catholic Church" at the time when the Bible was written and initally "compiled".

A. The Old Testament

Obviously, the Old Testament was written even before Jesus Christ. So how it can be said that the Roman Catholic Church or "The Catholic Church" wrote or "compiled" that must be something that only the ignorant, fraudulent or deluded are capable of!

B. The so-called 'Apocrypha' or so-called "deuterocanonical" books

Here we are talking about books in the Roman Catholic Bible and at least in some "Protestant" Bibles (e.g. KJV for a long time), and supposedly/allegedly part of the Old Testament, which at least some Christians accept for some purposes even if not as 'canonical'.

Again as these were written even before Christ and were in The Septuagint, it would take an ignorant, fraudulent or extremely deluded person to claim they were written or "compiled" by The Roman Catholic Church or even "The Catholic Church".

TBC and to deal with New Testament etc separately.

smiley

*NB I am using the expression "The Catholic Church" (with the capitals) in the sense that the Roman Catholic Church tends to claim nowadays or, occasionally, in the Theodosian sense. (Edited)
hehehe, good points the church didnt write the old testament.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: sorry my dear, the orthodox christians are regarded as catholics though not in full communion.

versus

Ubenedictus: u are certainly mixing stuff up. Orthodox donot refer to themselves as "orthodox catholic church" to put the word "catholic" there would imply that they are in full communion with the roman see.

https://www.nairaland.com/1057120/german-catholics-face-excommunication-over/2#12318604
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2013
^^ Busted! grin

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2013
Reyginus: My reason being that the catholics these two popes represented saw them as the head.
that some people "they represented" saw them as heads doesn't make them heads. If the bishops in the metropolitan see of lagos names card okogie as pope, that doesn't make him pope, that makes him an antipope and d bishops as schism 'causers'.
http://www.christian-history.org/western-great-schism.html#sthash.K8N4wPwfidst
i'm aware of the story! Boniface had commited political suicide, his diplomacy has been found wanting and he was kidnaped by d french and died in captivity, clement was elected pope in a conclave and in a bid to espace the anarchy in rome, he started to live in different french diocese until he bought avigon in france, unknown to him he had jumped from fry pan to fire and he had to excercise very heavy diplomacy as though his life depended on it. Thus d bishop of rome was in exile.
After a long time the papacy came back and d pope didn't last long after that, he died and it was time for a new conclave. The italians wanted an italian as bishop of rome and they didnt hide their preference, the conclave was held and a new pope was anounced that was URBAN VI, all those who later became anti popes acknowledge urban as pope, he was crowned and sitted in d papal see! After some time, it was clear that he was harsh towards his cardinals (i think he wasn't even a cardinal when he was elected pope.), he alienated them and they were like "see this small boy of yesterday", his failure at administration proved disastrous! Some roman cardinals pretended as though they were leaving rome because of d hot weather and went to join d french cardinals and elected someone who named himself clement vii, he was an antipope, his suppose election is null and void because urban was still alive. Urban was pope before his bad decisions and thus was pope after his bad decisions clement was an anti pope. Urban died and was suceeded by BONIFACE IX, who in turn was succeeded by INNOCENT XII. The anti pope in avigon died and was succeeded by another antipope benedict xii who was a joker. At this time a union was sought and some cardinals supporting innocent (pope) and benedict (antipope) came together and elected another person, this too was an antipope (john xxiii) because pope innocent was still pope. Pope Innocent died and was succeed by pope GREGORY XII.
At this time there was one pope 2 anti popes Gregory xii was pope, benedict xiii was antipope, john xxii was antipope.
The whole problem was resolved by the council of constance that declear that john xiii wasn't a pope and benedict xiii wasn't pope. For the sake of peace pope Gregory xii resigned (he was d pope that resigned before benedict d 16) and went to live a peaceful life. MARTIN V was elected pope.
I just listed d popes and antipopes.
The popes during that period were:
Urban vi
Boniface ix
Innocent xii
Gregory xii
Martin v
the antipopes include:
Clement vii
benedict xiii
john xxiii.
Lastly be careful of the source you get your stories from.
Like i said earlier the weren't two popes but two people claiming to be pope. 1 pope and an antipope.
Peace.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 4:16pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ihedinobi: ^^ Busted! grin

Check the below also smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/1057120/german-catholics-face-excommunication-over#12311644

chukwudi44:

Nope pal orthodox split from catholicism only during the east-west schism of 1054 CE.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 16, 2013
Lol. The result of fanaticism, I guess.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 16, 2013
chukwudi44: Conditions for teachings being declared infallible

Statements by a pope which exercise papal infallibility are referred to as "solemn papal definitions" or ex cathedra teachings. Also considered infallible are the teachings of the whole body of bishops of the Church, especially but not only in an ecumenical council[16] (see Infallibility of the Church).

According to the teaching of the First Vatican Council and Catholic tradition, the conditions required for ex cathedra papal teaching are as follows:

1. "the Roman Pontiff"

2. "speaks ex cathedra" ("that is, when in the discharge of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority"....)

3. "he defines"

4. "that a doctrine concerning faith or morals"

5. "must be held by the whole Church" (Pastor Aeternus, chap. 4)⁠[17]

For a teaching by a pope or ecumenical council to be recognized as infallible, the teaching must be a decision of the supreme teaching authority of the Church (pope or College of Bishops); it must concern a doctrine of faith or morals; it must bind the universal Church; and it must be proposed as something to be held firmly and immutably. The terminology of a definitive decree will usually make clear that this last condition is fulfilled, as through a formula such as "By the authority of Our Lord Jesus Christ and of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by Our own authority, We declare, pronounce and define the doctrine . . . to be revealed by God and as such to be firmly and immutably held by all the faithful", or through an accompanying anathema stating that anyone who deliberately dissents is outside the Catholic Church.[18]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility
I think I've rectified this with Ubenedictus. My question now is/was, with respect to papal infallibility, from the article, which among the the two popes that existed in 1294 AD was infallible? This will really help as you will see.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) / It Is Not By Force To Give Offerings And Tithe / How Can A Spiritual Problem Be Solved?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.