Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,191 members, 7,849,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:10 AM

Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. (8925 Views)

Fuel Hike Makes Deltans To Pay Higher Price In Delta State Govt Urban Transport / Call Your Wife To Order, Group Warns Jonathan / Nigerians Reacts To Adamu Muazu On Twitter Over Opposition Hoarding Fuel Hike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Maxymilliano(m): 9:15am On Nov 17, 2012
take dat: They may be no option to full deregulation of the downstream sector in the long run but what palliative measures have the government put on ground before embarking on full deregulation? What has the government done with the price differential of 32naira? Nothing.
A country like China who import most of its crude oil for refining recently reduced the price of petroleum products, why is Nigeria with its abundant oil attempting to increase price of petroleum products? Many OPEC states are into State capitalism, where government own refineries so why is our government not copying them? This government is simply bereft of ideas

Glad you talked of State capitalism, but is this not the same thing we've tried over the years and it's not working? Would there have been any need for deregulation if the whole downstream sector is working efficiently? The idea of Stae capitalism may have worked elsewhere but it is simply not working in Nigeria and will you have preferred the staus quo to remain? The idea of deregulation was not just conceived yesterday, same vein fuel importation did not started yesterday, but must things be allowed to continue like that?

Talking of palliatives, I hope the government looks into this and improve upon the Sure-P of a thing, but concluding that a government that is trying to do the necessary evil to ensure a long lasting solution to the perennial problem associated with the downstream sector is bereft of ideas is disingenuous of you.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by wengerjay(m): 9:18am On Nov 17, 2012
Half a word is enough for a wise.GBAM!!

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by seedorfabbey: 9:24am On Nov 17, 2012
NLC/NU-useless should just shut-up their dirty mouth Omar or what's urname? U better go and seat down somewhr dis time u dis big fool u sell out in january is not ur fault sha if not useless bad luck some ppl called goodluck luck
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by takedat(m): 9:50am On Nov 17, 2012
Maxymilliano:

Glad you talked of State capitalism, but is this not the same thing we've tried over the years and it's not working? Would there have been any need for deregulation if the whole downstream sector is working efficiently? The idea of Stae capitalism may have worked elsewhere but it is simply not working in Nigeria and will you have preferred the staus quo to remain? The idea of deregulation was not just conceived yesterday, same vein fuel importation did not started yesterday, but must things be allowed to continue like that?

Talking of palliatives, I hope the government looks into this and improve upon the Sure-P of a thing, but concluding that a government that is trying to do the necessary evil to ensure a long lasting solution to the perennial problem associated with the downstream sector is bereft of ideas is disingenuous of you.
If state capitalism does not work for us its because we have had inefficient governments in the past but that is not to say that GEJ cannot set in the right template for it to work after all he made promises of establishing greenfield refineries and rehabilitating existing refineries while contesting for elections. In january he promised to put in palliatives and gradual phasing out of subsidy before full deregulation. This shows he is not consistent as a leader to all of a sudden renege on earlier promises

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Ikwerefistson: 10:06am On Nov 17, 2012
Fatdon: I feel sorry for GEJ, who is
trapped between the Western
Oil companies and Nigerians. He
is trying to free Nigerians from
the bondage of economic ruin,
yet all he gets is abuse from the Nigerians he is trying to help.
When the revolution comes, one
assured outcome will be the loss
of the Niger Delta and with it
the so called fuel subsidy. We
will learn, over the bodies of our neighbors, brothers, pregnant
wives and sisters how to think
clearly and know our real
interests.
No group of intelligent honest
people be they NNPC, FGN can go and forcefully steal oil from the
oil producing communities with
the help of the IOCs. Only
looters can do it over the
protests of MEND, the Ogoni,
Ikwerre, and other oil producing communities. These
looters FGN and the oil
companies will never, never ever
be honest with Nigerians. One
would think after the Farouk
Lawan saga that our people will learn the bitter truth about
the so called fuel subsidy.
on point
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Ozonna(m): 10:22am On Nov 17, 2012
odehaj: Military should take over permanently in Nigeria!

God forbid!!! Chukwunna ekwekwala ihe ojo!!!
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Maxymilliano(m): 10:22am On Nov 17, 2012
take dat: If state capitalism does not work for us its because we have had inefficient governments in the past but that is not to say that GEJ cannot set in the right template for it to work after all he made promises of establishing greenfield refineries and rehabilitating existing refineries while contesting for elections. In january he promised to put in palliatives and gradual phasing out of subsidy before full deregulation. This shows he is not consistent as a leader to all of a sudden renege on earlier promises

The country cannot afford to revert back to State capitalism because the time is simply not there for any form of expermenting, the citizens are asking questions and the government is trying hard to provide answers. Working out a template for a return to State capitalism will only take us back to where we are coming from.

The rehabilitation of the existing refineries is on already and to be done in phases, the impact is yet to be felt because it is the company that designed and build the refineries that was contracted, and it will require a sort of technical evaluation by the firm before the rehabilitation can commence, but the company assured it will be done in 18 months.

The Greenfield refineries is a different kettle of fish, the government has identified choice locations for the refineries to be sited but many issues arose in the course of the feasibility study where governors of some of the chosen States were accused of influencing the decision on the accepted locations. An example is Kogi State, where the former governor, Abubakar Idris was accused of using his position to influence FG decision on the choice of location of the greenfield refineries to be sited in Kogi, this is not an issue to be ignored and that's why the government is ensuring that the I's are dotted and the t's are crossed to avoid causing unnecessary and avoidable disaffection among the denizen of the host communities before kick starting the project.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Omen100(m): 10:27am On Nov 17, 2012
Many at times, I don't like joining issues with the likes of point-b & other pathetic butt-lickers of this present govt, because u feed on the scrubs that fell down from the dinning table of this useless govt doesn't mean that u are involved, yes the Labour have no moral right to challenge the govt, but if should declare a nationwide strike today & protest, I will gladly make myself available because I am not doing it for myself but for my unborn Children 4 them to have a better Nigeria to live.

5 Likes

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Ademab(m): 10:33am On Nov 17, 2012
PointB: NLC should clarify their position. Are they against deregulation of the downstream sector of the oil industry or are they simply against fuel price increase?

Besides, what made NLC think that the 'common man' trust them to champion any cause in this country especially after the fiasco in January, when they allowed themselves to be used by oil marketers and desperate politicians? Those who place their fate in NLC will only gnash their teeth afterwards.
In as much as government continues to pay fuel marketers subsidies, there will always to loopholes to be exploited by them and perhaps government to scam. Full deregulation of the downstream sector remains the best way to deal with subsidy scam, and free up funds for other use.

Subsidising consumption is a silly practice! Put the subsidy in production!

Ȋ̝̊̅† is apparent that what gEJ meant is 100% far from deregulation. What he simply meant is price increase which means more money to be looted for the government. Deregulation will bring about positive change price increase will not. 11 months after the "partial deregulation" what is dir scorecard? What have they achieved from the over N30/ litre throughout a year? What physical development can they point at and say that's from the money from subsidy removal. We have to stand up and say Ȋ̝̊̅† to his face that gej is just acting a prepeared script. He doesn't know the difference between deregulation and pump pricew increase and the result is improverishment of the masses

4 Likes

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Clemzy16(m): 10:35am On Nov 17, 2012
My question is.. Since the removal of fuel subsidy in january has anything changed?! I know some people thinks the total removal is going to be of an advantage since it tends to attracts foreign investors. But where do you stand on it?! What makes you think there is going to be any difference this time around. Remember that you can't trust the Nigerian government. They keep making promises (propaganda) which they won't fulfil. Hence, creating more hardship to the existing ones facing the masses..

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by nnamdibig(m): 10:44am On Nov 17, 2012
the last time i checked, fuel was been sold at a price rate of 120-125 naira per litre in almost all the filling station i have been to. And this so called NLC has been keeping quiet about it. Believe NLC to your own detriment.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 11:04am On Nov 17, 2012
Omen100: Many at times, I don't like joining issues with the likes of point-b & other pathetic butt-lickers of this present govt, because u feed on the scrubs that fell down from the dinning table of this useless govt doesn't mean that u are involved, yes the Labour have no moral right to challenge the govt, but if should declare a nationwide strike today & protest, I will gladly make myself available because I am not doing it for myself but for my unborn Children 4 them to have a better Nigeria to live.
guy take am easy the fact that some us support the complete removal of subsidy does not mean we are in or geting some thing from government, the reality is that where ever you have schemes like this you cannot stop criminal elements from taking advantage of it, the only way out most times to rechannel the money to other productive use. you said your going out to protest will be of service your unborn child, well i disagree with you on that, becuase 1. oil is a finite quantity, that is the oil u see today sometime in the feature will finish, so that should be a reason for us to know that we have to biuld our roads, industries and other social amenities, which we can do now. 2. oil prices cant stay as high as it is today for too long so now that we have the opportunity to improve on our infrastructure we should it while it last. 3. industries cant trive with bearuecratic red tape around and in the oil industry in nigeria today this subsidy issue is that red tape no body not even you will put your money into an uncertain feature, subsidy has been a big scam for many years in Nigeria it did not start today GEJ just happen to be the one that is trying to let me and you take good look at looting scheme we created. it is not there for me and you good but for those whom are benfiting from the scheme
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by takedat(m): 11:13am On Nov 17, 2012
Maxymilliano:

The country cannot afford to revert back to State capitalism because the time is simply not there for any form of expermenting, the citizens are asking questions and the government is trying hard to provide answers. Working out a template for a return to State capitalism will only take us back to where we are coming from.

The rehabilitation of the existing refineries is on already and to be done in phases, the impact is yet to be felt because it is the company that designed and build the refineries that was contracted, and it will require a sort of technical evaluation by the firm before the rehabilitation can commence, but the company assured it will be done in 18 months.

The Greenfield refineries is a different kettle of fish, the government has identified choice locations for the refineries to be sited but many issues arose in the course of the feasibility study where governors of some of the chosen States were accused of influencing the decision on the accepted locations. An example is Kogi State, where the former governor, Abubakar Idris was accused of using his position to influence FG decision on the choice of location of the greenfield refineries to be sited in Kogi, this is not an issue to be ignored and that's why the government is ensuring that the I's are dotted and the t's are crossed to avoid causing unnecessary and avoidable disaffection among the denizen of the host communities before kick starting the project.
To say that government cannot engage in state capitalism is dereliction of duty. I have not argued against deregulating the sector, I have only stated that Nigeria is not ripe for it "now". The infrastructures to accelerate deregulation are not on ground, no genuine investor will come in now that there is power problem, crude oil theft, vandalisation of pipelines etc.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by otokx(m): 11:24am On Nov 17, 2012
NLC lies, postponing the evil day is not a solution to our problem, how much are we buying the petrol now? is it not 120? the unions are just as corrupt as the government they are fighting.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by ujchief(m): 11:44am On Nov 17, 2012
Gej is on a self-destruct mission. Its either he destroys the nation, or he destroys himself! I keep wondering why its easier for him to fight the citizens than to fight coruption?
Anything that can destroy this administration is a welcome development.

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Thok(m): 11:45am On Nov 17, 2012
Hmhm.. NLC is at it again.. The settlement money don finish abi.. Una want more.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by christemmbassey(m): 11:53am On Nov 17, 2012
THE PEOPLE DESERVE THE GOVT THEY GET. In a decent country of decent ppl, this govt would v been history. OUR PROBLEM IS NOT GEj, or SUBSIDY/PENSION SCAMMERS AND THIER LIKES BOTH IN AND OUTSIDE GOVT.OUR ENEMIES ARE VERY FEW, NAMELY-PATITO'S GANG(S), NLC/TUC AND THEIR LIKES, THE COURTS, THE PASTORS AND IMAMS.

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 17, 2012
odehaj: Military should take over permanently in Nigeria!
lol. for where?
When I have just been anointed for my state's house of assembly come 2015 by the kingmakers. The other option is for Nigeria to disintegrate. But military take over?no way.

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by luvmijeje(f): 12:03pm On Nov 17, 2012
My fellow patriotic Nigeria,this is an opportunity to rise and make our voice to be heard,it is an opportunity 2 take our country back and force them to ve SNG.We dont want NLC 2 mediate on our behalf.I ll advise patriotic Nigeria to join their local CLO or like-minded pressure groups.THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND WE CANT AFFORD TO FAIL OUR CHILDREN.

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Maxymilliano(m): 12:07pm On Nov 17, 2012
take dat: To say that government cannot engage in state capitalism is dereliction of duty. I have not argued against deregulating the sector, I have only stated that Nigeria is not ripe for it "now". The infrastructures to accelerate deregulation are not on ground, no genuine investor will come in now that there is power problem, crude oil theft, vandalisation of pipelines etc.

If I may ask bro, when will the country be ripe for deregulation? It is this same mindset that the country is not ready for total liberalization of the downstream sector that forced Obasanjo and Yar'adua to jettison the idea but will it do us any good if we keep postponing the doomsday?

There is gross infrastructural deficit and that's why some of the problems you enumerated above are been looked into to ensure a conducive business environment for potential investors.

And that is why the Sure-P of a thing was instituted to offer palliatives to cushion the effect of any burden on the citizen that may arise as a result of government actions. But the problem is that most of us don't channel our question to the right quarters and that's why you see some people coming to nairaland and be asking what government is doing with the money saved from subsidy instead of directing same to the appropriate quarters for possible answers.

I read a report on page 58 of the Thursday edtion of The Nation newspaper where the governor of Niger State came out to say that Niger State Sure-P funds has hit N2.5B since the disbursement, I'm quite sure other States will have similar figure in their kitty but how many of the governors have come out openly to declare what they've gotten so far from the disbursement? And instead of us to direct our questions to the right quarters, we all got our attention fixated on the FG while the governors are making a mincemeal of what was suppose to be our share of the subsidy.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Maxymilliano(m): 12:42pm On Nov 17, 2012
take dat: To say that government cannot engage in state capitalism is dereliction of duty. I have not argued against deregulating the sector, I have only stated that Nigeria is not ripe for it "now". The infrastructures to accelerate deregulation are not on ground, no genuine investor will come in now that there is power problem, crude oil theft, vandalisation of pipelines etc.

If I may ask bro, when will the country be ripe for deregulation? It is this same mindset that the country is not ready for total liberalization of the downstream sector that forced Obasanjo and Yar'adua to jettison the idea but will it do us any good if we keep postponing the doomsday?

There is gross infrastructural deficit and that's why some of the problems you enumerated above are been looked into to ensure a conducive business environment for potential investors.

And that is why the Sure-P of a thing was instituted to offer palliatives to cushion the effect of any burden on the citizen that may arise as a result of government actions. But the problem is that most of us don't channel our question to the right quarters and that's why you see some people coming to nairaland and be asking what government is doing with the money saved from subsidy instead of directing same to the appropriate quarters for possible answers.

I read a report on page 58 of the Thursday edtion of The Nation newspaper where the governor of Niger State came out to say that Niger State Sure-P funds has hit N2.5B since the disbursement, I'm quite sure other States will have similar figure in their kitty but how many of the governors have come out openly to declare what they've gotten so far from the disbursement? And instead of us to direct our questions to the right quarters, we all got our attention fixated on the FG while the governors are making a mincedmeal of what was suppose to be our share of the subsidy.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by takedat(m): 1:03pm On Nov 17, 2012
Maxymilliano:

I read a report on page 58 of the Thursday edtion of The Nation newspaper where the governor of Niger State came out to say that Niger State Sure-P funds has hit N2.5B since the disbursement, I'm quite sure other States will have similar figure in their kitty but how many of the governors have come out openly to declare what they've gotten so far from the disbursement? And instead of us to direct our questions to the right quarters, we all got our attention fixated on the FG while the governors are making a mincedmeal of what was suppose to be our share of the subsidy.
If we fully deregulate now it will take a minimum of two years before investors are able to put up functional refineries so we will continue depending on importation for some time. Total deregulation means government will hands off totally and its will be almost impossible for government to legislate price or control price so leaving us at the mercy of importers. Prices of Petroleum products is largely determined by International prices of crude oil, value of the dollar and local politics of developed nations. So no matter what, prices will be high when we take into consideration that an importer will want to maximise profits in the short run, the effect of all these will be negative on Nigerians.
Is government willing to increase minimum wage of workers? Has government really tackled unemployment rate? What measures are on ground to control inflationary rate? Is Naira appreciating against the dollar? So many questions and no answers on ground and you expect Nigerians to simply fold their hands because government cannot rehabilitate the existing refineries, build new ones, and set in the right templates to verify products imported and stopping pipeline vandalisation and illegal bunkering? Then our government is a joke

4 Likes

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by pheesayor(m): 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2012
what happened to the petroleum industry Bill that would have ensured the success of subsidy removal? gej had one year to do that and then persuade Nigerians but all we've Heard of are the setting up of countless committees
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by COOLDUN: 1:24pm On Nov 17, 2012
PointB: The threat to pull down Jonny Boy government with fuel price increase protest is very lame - indeed a joke There is no history of such in Nigeria, and there will never be until Nigeria is one, and that will not happen, as shown January for sake of fuel pump price increase.

If NLC calls for their jamboree, GEJ will flood the streets and venue with soldiers and armoured tanks, a tried and tested template. Prior to that, I would have called and warned my friends and relatives not to join the protests, just to hear their reassuring, 'Join for what, I have better things to do with my time'?

NLC welcome to your 20 Naira protest, you will walk alone! Deregulation MUST happen!!

You have been taking this matter so seriously from the beginning, commenting and supporting your government as if you are their spokesman on nairaland. I can see that you are the Ruben Abati/ Doyin Okukpe of the federal government on nairaland. Can you tell us any guarantee that the much realized fund from the full deregulation will not end up in the hands of the corrupt government officials/Cabals again? Stop barking for a fallacy from your government. How was the economy managed when the military built refineries were functioning? What about the internal and government invested refineries that are functioning in the other OPEC member nations?

I personally don’t believe on the sincerity of the NLC though, but I believe on their raised points. You cannot deregulate the whole oil sector successfully in the rotten and corrupt government like GEJ’s led federal government. Let GEJ , also deregulate the Political sector of Nigeria so that the competent Westerners could come in and stabilize the polity of Nigeria. At least we have many countries that have less costly governments. Your GEJ runs the costliest government in the history of this world, while he complains of short of funds. We know the true patriotic citizens of the country, and we also know the paid patriotic fellows. Spare us this baseless confidence.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by talktimi(m): 1:47pm On Nov 17, 2012
canadianprince:

People like you are the one responsible for the persistency in the backwardness of the country Nigeria. This is a commendable attempt by your NLC in confronting the Fed. govt against unnecessary price hike in fuel, aimed at the collective interest of the nationales and you're here uttering trashes. Rise and motivate Nigerians to fight for their right. Your govt should erode corruption from its political dispensation rather than, instigating the afflictions inflicted on the citizens by poverty.
I hope you know that ther can be no fuel price increase in Nigeria without the active involvement of the NLC/TUC no matter what they say to the contrary so those of you insulting and demonising Mr Jonathan should also hold your union leaders responsible. The issue of petroleum sector deregulation was settled last year btw the fed govt and trade unions and it was to take off by january this year as agreed. Your protests this january were so as not to make it seem like the labour leaders were sell outs but at the end you saw the big truth of who they really are. A lot of corrupt marketers also sponsored the january protests because of what they stood to lose in the event of full deregulation. Now you hear the names and the humongous sums involved. I support full deregulation even if the whole of Nigeria doesnt
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by laminaria(m): 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2012
I tink it is high time that all hands must be on desk in order to check mate all dis hoodlum,thieves,selfish leaders...it is not about NLC/TUC it is about you and me, NLC/TUC we surely dance to their tunes when offered huge amount of money, i tink revolution can start here on NL cos i belive average NLANDER is either a graduate or learned fellow, for d fact that u can read this makes u a learned, a situation where religious leaders have nothing to offer to its her members except milking d remain dolls in our pocket....lets stop d habit of GOD wil help even d Bible says heaven help those who help themselves lets generate a kind of forum n get ready to stand for it when the matter arises, i see no reason y we(NLANDERS) can not make our moves n protest in time like this except we all came n flaunt our grammer which has never yield a dime to the fortune of dis GOD forsaken animal farm. ARISE O YOUTH of dis nation lets fight for our civic right.

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by troy20(m): 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2012
Fatdon: I feel sorry for GEJ, who is
trapped between the Western
Oil companies and Nigerians. He
is trying to free Nigerians from
the bondage of economic ruin,
yet all he gets is abuse from the Nigerians he is trying to help.
When the revolution comes, one
assured outcome will be the loss
of the Niger Delta and with it
the so called fuel subsidy. We
will learn, over the bodies of our neighbors, brothers, pregnant
wives and sisters how to think
clearly and know our real
interests.
No group of intelligent honest
people be they NNPC, FGN can go and forcefully steal oil from the
oil producing communities with
the help of the IOCs. Only
looters can do it over the
protests of MEND, the Ogoni,
Ikwerre, and other oil producing communities. These
looters FGN and the oil
companies will never, never ever
be honest with Nigerians. One
would think after the Farouk
Lawan saga that our people will learn the bitter truth about
the so called fuel subsidy.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by nikky5(m): 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2012
The January death script is ready that will tear this country apart.The suffering will be best imagined when the script is read to Nigerians as another new year gift.Its a clear signal that the sailor has lost his bearing and the fate of Nigerians lie in their hands.Only a military intervention will salvage this country from the pangs of clueless leaders.I hate democracy in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by christemmbassey(m): 3:53pm On Nov 17, 2012
"ONCE TO EVERY MAN AND NATION COMES A MOMENT TO DECIDE, IN TRIVE OF TRUTH AND FALESHOOD, FOR GOOD OR EVIL SIDE", which side are you? Is regulation the reason why a country like Nigeria can not run a single refinary? If funds save from subsidy is expected to build roads, schools, railways, hospitals, salaries, housing,power,etc, etc, etc, etc. What are we going to use the money we realise from exporting crude oil for? UPTILL NOW I'VE NOT SEFN EVEN ONE OF THE SURE-P BUS, GRADUTE INTERN ETC, ETC, ETC. One of the options appart fron revolution is a raving MAD MILITARY JUNTA TO CLEAN UP THESE BADLUCK and hand over to decent ppl.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 17, 2012
I made one observation so far from comments made so far. Some silly northerners are demanding for military coup. This demand is MOST SILLY, most DEVILISH and WICKED. What these WICKED few expect is one almajiri solder to seize power in Aso Rock and replace all the 36 state governors with Almajiri solders and share the Niger delta and Igbo petrol DOLLARS as they deem fit. This ATROCITY will be carried out under guise of removing a 'corrupt' govt. How will that be different from the MISTAKES of the 1966( the coups and counter coup that led to civil war) or the STUPID 1983 coup? Also some FOOLS think we dont have memory. We remember that military leaders of the past also increased fuel price, all of them, from Gowon to Abacha. In fact, Abacha increased fuel price from N5 per litre to N11 per litre and appointed another Almajiri (Buhari) to manage the savings from that increase. These are FACTS and FACTS ARE SACRED. When therefore did increament in fuel price become a reason to TOPPLE a govt? Is it because a Niger Delta man is in power?
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Maxymilliano(m): 4:26pm On Nov 17, 2012
take dat: If we fully deregulate now it will take a minimum of two years before investors are able to put up functional refineries so we will continue depending on importation for some time. Total deregulation means government will hands off totally and its will be almost impossible for government to legislate price or control price so leaving us at the mercy of importers. Prices of Petroleum products is largely determined by International prices of crude oil, value of the dollar and local politics of developed nations. So no matter what, prices will be high when we take into consideration that an importer will want to maximise profits in the short run, the effect of all these will be negative on Nigerians.
Is government willing to increase minimum wage of workers? Has government really tackled unemployment rate? What measures are on ground to control inflationary rate? Is Naira appreciating against the dollar? So many questions and no answers on ground and you expect Nigerians to simply fold their hands because government cannot rehabilitate the existing refineries, build new ones, and set in the right templates to verify products imported and stopping pipeline vandalisation and illegal bunkering? Then our government is a joke

Bros, let's take this thing ome at a time, I ain't the president spokeman but just a Nigerian who feel things should be looked at dispassionately before apportioning blame but nonetheless, I'll try and attempt some of your poser.

Deregulation is the same thinf as liberalization and government will have no option but to hands totally from the downstream and allow the invisible force of demand and supply to have its course.

Since Nigeria is imported depwndent, we'll be subjected to the vagaries in the international oil market. The primary objectives of the Sure-P is to minimize the hardship experience by the citizens to the barest minimum till things will be sorted out.

You talked of inflationary rates that may happened on the economy in the event of the total deregulation of the downstream, but as an economist myself, there are many factors that determines inflationary trends and exchange rates.

We are a consuming nation, we consumed what we don't produce and this is putting pressures on the naira. It is the duty of the CBN Governor to come up with proven policies to ensure the current inflationary trend did not spiral out of control, and to ensure it is contained effectively.

For the pipelin vandalization you broached, there is a limit to what the government can do if we the citizens are bent on making money at all cost, even risking our lives.

Most of the pipelines we have now were laid in the 70s and 80s when most of the areas weren't developed. Let me cast your mind back to what happened in Arepo area of Ogun State where NNPC pipelines was delibrately vandalised, this resulted into a conflagration that was later contained but do you know that since that incident happened, attempts by NNPC to fix the vandalised pipelines was rebuff?.

Illegal bunkering is another hydra headed monster that is not easy to contain, I can tell you more about this if you will be interested.
Re: Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 17, 2012
Abacha increased fuel price from N5 per litre to N11 per litre. For those who cannot connect with the implication of such MASSIVE increment, it is like increasing fuel price from N100 per litre to N220 per litre today. Heaven did not fall, nobody talked about counter military coup or making the country ungovernable. To make the ATROCITY go full circle, Abacha appointed Buhari to manage the savings made from that exercise as PTF chairman. Buhari took the opportunity with both arms and deployed the resources mainly to develop the north(northwest especially). All these ATROCITIES happened in this country and the rest of Nigeria stood and watch as these UGLY and DASTARDLY events unfolded.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Exxonmobil, Others Not Leaving Nigeria –kachikwu / Vanguard Retracts And Appologizes To Hon Emeka Chinedu Over Reps Bill / Gunmen Kill 6 At Ungogo In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.