Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,219 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? (3731 Views)

Story Of Hardworking Abuja Girl Who Became Millionaire Overnight / Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed / JAMB Changed Her Result! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Odunnu: 6:42pm On Nov 17, 2012
Al-hasan:
My candid advice is that let her check their requirements regarding ACCOUNTING as a course and if she has d correct subjects relating to her course then,let her go to the admission office to lodge the complaint because she might be guilty of requirements.If she has thier requirements pls kindly let us know in Abuja.In Abuja,there is one nationally renowned programme called Hembelembe presided by Ahmed Issa a.k.a Brekete.If Ahmed sees that she is not guilty,he has a team of lawyers who will not charge her KOBO.It will serve as deterrent for other schools.
do you work there? Is it only stuff like this that it looks into?
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by kokosheen(m): 7:01pm On Nov 17, 2012
OP disregard comments that you should take your faith like that, in most cases like this, if the victim doesn't complain - they don't get redress.

Please, how possible is it for you to join her in school? Even though your fiancee might know her way around (OND), the low to middle level people (ala secretaries, PAs) are the ones doing this and would want to intimidate her because she's a new intake.

Join her to go see the dean of students affairs and go to the admissions office too. You have a very strong case and don't take NO for an answer.

1 Like

Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by eldoradoxx: 7:38pm On Nov 17, 2012
It is very simple here, brief a lawyer to file an action, first by securing an interim/ interlocutory injunction restraining the school from tempering with her admission having fulfilled all the requirements to secure the admission. If this injunction is granted, she will continue with her lectures while the battle continues in court. Its very simple, Unilorin if the facts presented here are all true, has no single case. You cannot change a student admission without consulting her after she has done the registration and commenced lecture. She can go on to claim some general damages for psychological torture she passed through. Nigerians shud learn to use law to fight their course!
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 7:54pm On Nov 17, 2012
Odunnu:
When admission list was announced in UNIBEN, students had there courses swapped. Those who applied for mass-com were given medicine -it was that funny. It was rectified as it was a system error.
Since it happened to some other person, its possible its a system error.
According to you, Jamb already confirmed her accountancy admission, Unilorin also did which she has already printed.

She entered with her A level result. thank God she just got intouch me with, had access to the director of the ministry of education in kwara and the baba said it's an error from the school and that they cant do that to someone that has already registered and that she should go to the admin on monday.

same thing i've been telling her but una woman wahala and fear no go let person rest.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2012
kokosheen: OP disregard comments that you should take your faith like that, in most cases like this, if the victim doesn't complain - they don't get redress.

Please, how possible is it for you to join her in school? Even though your fiancee might know her way around (OND), the low to middle level people (ala secretaries, PAs) are the ones doing this and would want to intimidate her because she's a new intake.

Join her to go see the dean of students affairs and go to the admissions office too. You have a very strong case and don't take NO for an answer.

She's been linked to the director of kwara state ministry of education and she's been told what to do and where to go. i think with such a man, things won't go ugly and it'll be rectified asap.

Thanks for the concern. i appreciate.
Odunnu and the rest, thanks

Likely to update this thread as things situation unfolds.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Idacrux: 8:57pm On Nov 17, 2012
@odunnu are u in unn?
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Odunnu: 9:45pm On Nov 17, 2012
I no reach o. Its my dream school sha. Are you in UNN?
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Kevvol: 12:41pm On Nov 18, 2012
honeric01: My fiancee applied to 2 different schools and was offered admission to both universities this year (Unilorin and Kwasu)
She opted for Unilorin because it is a federal school and they are known to be fast and organised
Both of them offered her the course she went in for. (ACCOUNTANCY)
Before then, she did her ND at Kwarapoly and came out with distinctions, so it was easy for her to apply as a DE candidate. (200 level)

Now she's done everything with unilorin, paid school fees, hostel, moved in, picked her subjects/courses, printed, acknowledged by level officer, documented and filed with the school admin, faulty and also L.O and has been receiving lectures since then as an accounting student.

Just yesterday, she called me crying that the school changed her chosen choice which is accountancy to human kinetics (Ed).
This is someone that has nothing to do with this new course, knows very little about this new course and has no similarities with her passion, she's someone that's very good with numbers (Accounting and mathematics, hence the reason she went for Accountancy)

Please what can she do in other to get her chosen course back?
she has already applied for ICAN and ACA and paid.
ACA exams slated for march and she's preparing for that too before this sudden change to her career and passion came in.

Why would unilorin change her course overnight? if they wanted to change her course, why didn't they do it because she even commenced registration? if that was done, she would have picked KWASU instead because her passion and dream is what matters most.

What can be done to savage the situation? she definitely can't take up this new course forced on her because this is like abandoning your dream and following someone else's dream.

HELP guys. (Odunnu if you have a clue, abeg fill me in)
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Sue unilorin 4 ''breach of contract in education'' they will resolve it overnight, don't jst sit nd fold arms, go 4 it (court order) dey don't know hw painful it is.. So 'awful' as 4 me i can't take it: hell will let loose on dat day, nd i don't care of what happens... Bombshit...
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
Kevvol:
Sue unilorin 4 ''breach of contract in education'' they will resolve it overnight, don't jst sit nd fold arms, go 4 it (court order) dey don't know hw painful it is.. So 'awful' as 4 me i can't take it: hell will let loose on dat day, nd i don't care of what happens... Bombshit...

Thank you, i think her case is going to be resolved sooner than i expected due to the people who have made contacts with and what they shared so far.

Thanks
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 6:04pm On Nov 19, 2012
UPDATE

She's been told to write a letter to the VC and that it was an error from the part of those in the Admission department, likely to cost some people their jobs if it's blown out of proportion but the VC is the only one that can give orders to have it rectified.

With the help of her level adviser, i pray the VC gets the letter on time/act on it.

My fingers are crossed! lipsrsealed
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by kokosheen(m): 6:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
^^^ good one. Hope it turns out well.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by greenek001: 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
I dnt tink sueing unilorin is a gud option, dey wud definitely resolve d issue if a court order is served but put the victim's 4yrs stay in unilorin into view, dey ud make her life miserable and might even make her certificate useles{graduatin wif a pas/fail}...a letter 2d vc wud b a very gud option or somtin else dat dosnt involve publicity...
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by ecolime(m): 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2012
greenek001: I dnt tink sueing unilorin is a gud option, dey wud definitely resolve d issue if a court order is served but put the victim's 4yrs stay in unilorin into view, dey ud make her life miserable and might even make her certificate useles{graduatin wif a pas/fail}...a letter 2d vc wud b a very gud option or somtin else dat dosnt involve publicity...
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Odunnu: 8:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
A letter straight to the VC? Na wa o.
Wish you all the best
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by kokosheen(m): 8:21pm On Nov 19, 2012
^^^ If she has been advised to do that, I think it would be the quickest way to get reprieve once the VC gets to know. Hopefully, he would be the understanding type.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 2:11am On Nov 20, 2012
UPDATES

She and another friend of her put a call through to the VC and they have both been directed to report to the Admission department by the VC and that he was going to call the office before they get there this morning. hopefully this should be sorted out on time so it doesn't affect her performance.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Idacrux: 5:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Odunnu: I no reach o. Its my dream school sha. Are you in UNN?

odunnu yes i'm studying in UNN
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Odunnu: 9:17am On Nov 20, 2012
Really? You are very lucky o. What faculty/dept.?
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 3:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
UPDATE:

VC called her back to tell her she should "please" take the new course and that there was a new development and the post UME score had to be upgraded, so those who didn't get up to 70 had to be moved even after they have been given admission before. (only course left that takes DE student is human kinetics).

Now, i have all reasons to sue the school but she's afraid that she's likely going to be blacklisted by other schools if she sues unilorin (total fallacy).

I really need advice on what next to do

she's paid for ATS
Paid for ICAN
paid for hostel
paid for acceptance fee
paid for school fee
spent alot printing and typing.

Efforts
Time
Stress

Human kinetics have nothing to do with accountancy and this is just what she can't take. it's a dream-killer and a total put off to her future ambition.

I need advice from lawyers and also from educationist. embarassed sad sad sad sad
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by kokosheen(m): 4:23pm On Nov 20, 2012
honeric01: UPDATE:

VC called her back to tell her she should "please" take the new course and that there was a new development and the post UME score had to be upgraded, so those who didn't get up to 70 had to be moved even after they have been given admission before. (only course left that takes DE student is human kinetics).

embarassed sad sad sad sad

My honest opinion about the VC's plea - 'Utter Crap'. I've seen this happen many a time which was why I advised that you take charge of the matter. The school (since the VC is now in the game) thinks because she's a new intake, whatever she's offered, she'll take.

I will still advise that you both don't give up.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 4:30pm On Nov 20, 2012
kokosheen:

My honest opinion about the VC's plea - 'Utter Crap'. I've seen this happen many a time which was why I advised that you take charge of the matter. The school (since the VC is now in the game) thinks because she's a new intake, whatever she's offered, she'll take.

I will still advise that you both don't give up.

Thanks, so what do you advice i do?
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by kokosheen(m): 4:53pm On Nov 20, 2012
honeric01:

Thanks, so what do you advice i do?

Most likely the state education secretary you mentioned before might not have much influence, but have you gotten his opinion on this current twist?

Whatever advise he gives you, since you both want her to study accountancy, brace yourself as possibility of a year loss of study is high. You should invite a lawyer as the situation currently is or if you can get across to femi falana's chambers, he might be of great help http://www.falanachambers.com/index.html

Also, start thinking of other schools she might attend next year as Unilorin is known for being stubborn. I hope this ends well.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Ajengb: 4:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
Think its an uncertain situation 4 her,since the vc could not do anything abt it and its her dream to pursue a career in accounting then its left 4 her to try again because if she dares goes to challenge in court which she might win,what's d essence of being given a pass or less as an undergraduate? Surely d skool wil get back and witchhunt and probably might even affect her chances in order institution.its left for her to make a choice and also d best one.besides what's her post ume scores?
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 7:31pm On Nov 20, 2012
Very disheartening. but then she's got one more place to test out - the senate, someone gave her one of the senate's numbers since they are the ones who often decide what happens most, she called and the man said she should come to his office tomorrow. let's wait and see what happens
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 21, 2012
Shhhhh..Why Cant U Answer The Question,Wht is Ha Post Utme Score....

I Scored 73 Last Year and I was Not Admitted, Now She Was Admitted With So Much Runz,Yu're Complaining.........

Whilst, If She Cant Have 70 In Unillorin Post Utme Her Distinction In OND Is Subject To Scrutiny!!

#Word
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 8:01am On Nov 21, 2012
Harjibode: Shhhhh..Why Cant U Answer The Question,Wht is Ha Post Utme Score....

I Scored 73 Last Year and I was Not Admitted, Now She Was Admitted With So Much Runz,Yu're Complaining.........

Whilst, If She Cant Have 70 In Unillorin Post Utme Her Distinction In OND Is Subject To Scrutiny!!

#Word

I would advice you only talk about what you know of.
Thinking that others did runs because you weren't admitted reeks of "bitterness".
even if she scored 62, the fact that she was given admission at first and allowed to pay and do other documentations before changing her course overnight is what matters here, if she wasn't given admission at all would have been another ball game

She was working when she sat for the post UTME, even at that, she still got what she got and even if she scored 20 or 50 or 70, that's not the issue here, the issue is her being admitted, allowed to get everything done, 4 weeks into normal lectures, then changing her course overnight is what i am here to fight against.

For you to say you want her Distinction in OND scrutinized, i'll throw this to you that you can't beat her in accounting/mathematics and other subjects that has to do with accountancy and she also won 3 awards while in Kwarapoly, so don't bite what you can't chew.

FYI: She was also given admission in Kwasu and didn't attend that of Yabatech because of the admission Unilorin already gave her.

I hope i am clear now? it's best not to try to be too smart when you are ignorant of what's on ground.

1 Like

Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by ossyme(m): 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2012
This is quite disturbing.oau did same to someone i know when the admission to study medicine was withdrawn, this was before registration anyway. Another who wanted english was given law as the latter carried a lower cut-off. Let us hope the senate member can help prevail.if your sister is not the strong-willed type, court will not be an option to embrace, it is rather distracting. I advise she settle for kwasu if this is still possible or 'gboju' and seek admission elsewhere for accounting. We are still at a rather crude level when it comes to issues as this. Imagine waec too cancelled someone's result after 4 years of its issuance on the ground that malpractice was later later discovered.

1 Like

Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2012
UPDATE

Senate said nothing can be done and that she should write in for a refund.

Unilorin's case for now is closed because she can't take the given course. angry angry angry angry angry

Last option: Kwasu

Hopefully she'd be given something within social sciences/management sciences if Accountancy is no longer available
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by kokosheen(m): 6:57pm On Nov 21, 2012
honeric01: UPDATE

Unilorin's case for now is closed because she can't take the given course. angry angry angry angry angry

Hopefully she'd be given something within social sciences/management sciences if Accountancy is no longer available

Wow, that's quick. Sorry about the whole issue, for all we know, it might be for the best.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by ecolime(m): 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2012
honeric01: UPDATE

I really feel for her because this is so painful. Let her try out that of Kwasu if it's not too late. God knows best.
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 21, 2012
honeric01:

I would advice you only talk about what you know of.
Thinking that others did runs because you weren't admitted reeks of "bitterness".
even if she scored 62, the fact that she was given admission at first and allowed to pay and do other documentations before changing her course overnight is what matters here, if she wasn't given admission at all would have been another ball game

She was working when she sat for the post UTME, even at that, she still got what she got and even if she scored 20 or 50 or 70, that's not the issue here, the issue is her being admitted, allowed to get everything done, 4 weeks into normal lectures, then changing her course overnight is what i am here to fight against.

For you to say you want her Distinction in OND scrutinized, i'll throw this to you that you can't beat her in accounting/mathematics and other subjects that has to do with accountancy and she also won 3 awards while in Kwarapoly, so don't bite what you can't chew.

FYI: She was also given admission in Kwasu and didn't attend that of Yabatech because of the admission Unilorin already gave her.

I hope i am clear now? it's best not to try to be too smart when you are ignorant of what's on ground.

Eeyaa...Actually I Had An Upper Credit In electrical/Electronics Engineering from FEDPOILA,And Am Sure SHe Knws close To Zilch,When It Comes To Maths....62 In Unilorin Post Utme For A Distinction Folk Is Too Bad,I Didnt Even Read Anything When Going For The Exam.....
FYI....For Her To Gain Admission On Merit To Study A Highly Competitive Course As Accounancy ''Dont HIDE the Fact That'' @ Unilorin Corruption Is The Order Of The Day....

#Really Nt Pushing Anytin Forward

I Wish She Was Restored Back With Her Dream Course....

Live Right Bro Y.O.L.O...
Re: Help! Unilorin changed her course overnight, What Can Be Done? by honeric01(m): 8:02pm On Nov 21, 2012
Harjibode:

Eeyaa...Actually I Had An Upper Credit In electrical/Electronics Engineering from FEDPOILA,And Am Sure SHe Knws close To Zilch,When It Comes To Maths....62 In Unilorin Post Utme For A Distinction Folk Is Too Bad,I Didnt Even Read Anything When Going For The Exam.....
FYI....For Her To Gain Admission On Merit To Study A Highly Competitive Course As Accounancy ''Dont HIDE the Fact That'' @ Unilorin Corruption Is The Order Of The Day....

#Really Nt Pushing Anytin Forward

I Wish She Was Restored Back With Her Dream Course....

Live Right Bro Y.O.L.O...

She knows no one in Unilorin so please tell me, how can you do runz in a place you know no one? infact i am giving you too many attention, this is not what i came here for. if you doubt her OND result, you can go to Kwarapoly to contest it.

ecolime:
I really feel for her because this is so painful. Let her try out that of Kwasu if it's not too late. God knows best.

Thanks bro, all things work together for good (her saving grace).
kokosheen:

Wow, that's quick. Sorry about the whole issue, for all we know, it might be for the best.
You're right bro, thanks all the same. refunding should at least heal part of the wounds.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Government Should Give Full Scholarship To All Medical Students / University Of Uyo Announces Screening Date / 2015 Shell University Scholarship Award Scheme For Undergraduate Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.