Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim (1738 Views)

Buhari Declares Open 2 Day Retreats For Ministerial-designates In Abuja Today / Unmasking The Real Monguno, The New Defence Intelligence Chief / After Intensive Aerial Bombardment, Boko Haram Retreats From Bama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by 4Play(m): 9:47pm On Feb 06, 2008
[/quote]WASHINGTON — The director of national intelligence is backing away from his agency's assessment late last year that Iran had halted its nuclear program, saying he wishes he had written the unclassified version of the document in a different manner.

At a hearing yesterday of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, the intelligence director, Michael McConnell, said, "If I had 'til now to think about it, I probably would change a few things." He later added, "I would change the way we describe the Iranian nuclear program. I would have included that there are the component parts, that the portion of it, maybe the least significant, had halted."

Mr. McConnell was referring to the specific Iranian program to design potential nuclear warheads, which the December estimate said had halted in 2003. But in his opening testimony, Mr. McConnell noted that two other components of the nuclear program were moving ahead — the enrichment of uranium, which he said was the most difficult part of making a bomb, and the development of long-range missiles capable of hitting North Africa and Europe.

The National Intelligence Estimate on Iran's nuclear program released on December 3 distinguished Iran's enrichment of uranium at Natanz and Arak from its formal nuclear weapons program, which it said had halted in 2003 after the American invasion of Iraq.

Yesterday, Mr. McConnell struck a different tone. "Declared uranium enrichment efforts, which will enable the production of fissile material, continue. This is the most difficult challenge in nuclear production. Iran's efforts to perfect ballistic missiles that can reach North Africa and Europe also continue."

He went on, "We remain concerned about Iran's intentions and assess with moderate-to-high confidence that Tehran at a minimum is keeping open the option to develop nuclear weapons."[quote]

http://www.nysun.com/article/70818

It seems the US intelligence agencies shot themselves or rather,their country, in the foot with the last report.It is only a matter of time for them to seek to unravel the havoc they have caused to international counter-proliferation efforts.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2008
Only God knows the number of people using this forum as this idea of multiple identities is really disgusting.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by 4Play(m): 3:40pm On Feb 07, 2008
Mr Inverter,if you have nothing substantive to say(which is usually the case),why not move along? grin

Don't you have things to sell at Alaba market? grin
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 3:50pm On Feb 07, 2008
@topic,

Yesterday, Mr. McConnell struck a different tone. "Declared uranium enrichment efforts, which will enable the production of fissile material, continue. This is the most difficult challenge in nuclear production. Iran's efforts to perfect ballistic missiles that can reach North Africa and Europe also continue."
As per the emboldened, please see bbc's report of yesterday - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7230396.stm

Russia suspicious over Iran test 

Russia thinks the launch of an Iranian rocket into space raises suspicion over the true aim of its nuclear programme, a foreign ministry official has said.
"Long-range missiles are one of the components of a [nuclear] weapons system," Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Losyukov told Interfax.

Therefore Monday's test launch of Iran's Explorer-1 space rocket was "of course, a cause for concern", he said.

Iran insists its nuclear programme is purely for peaceful energy production.

Correspondents say the statement by Mr Losyukov appeared to indicate that Moscow increasingly shares Western concerns about Tehran's nuclear course.

"It increases suspicion of Iran regarding its possible desire to create a nuclear weapon," he was quoted as saying.

Iran said the rocket which was test-fired would be used to launch research satellites.

The US State Department said the launch was "troubling", as it was an example of the same technology behind long-range ballistic missiles.

In the past, Russia has been more sceptical than some Western powers about Iran's missile capability, saying it would take a long time to build long-range missiles.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by 4Play(m): 4:02pm On Feb 07, 2008
There is no doubt that the US intelligence agencies over-egged the situation with the manner in which the report was written. It is not so much the content of the report per se but its perceived implication.

The impression was given that a nuclear weapon's programme constituted only of attempts to design a nuclear warhead.That is certainly misleading.Such a programme has 3 key components-designing nuclear warheads,enriching uranium and developing delivery capacity.

The report claimed that Iran had stopped work on the 1st in 2003-designing nuclear warheads-but it seems to have continued with the other 2.The irony is that designing nuclear warheads is the least important or difficult part of a nuclear weapons programme.

Even the report noted that even in regards this aspect-the design of nuclear warheads-it couldn't say with any certainty what Iran was doing at the moment.

If the Iranians conclude the other 2 aspects of their nuclear programme unhindered by the international community,it will be months away from a bomb if they re-start(if this hasn't already happened) their design programme.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 4:10pm On Feb 07, 2008
Why would someone continue to use and switch identities online if the person is not criminally minded?

Makes it supremely difficult to discuss issues as you may end up wasting your time with fraudsters and scammers.

Good luck but this is repulsive.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 4:16pm On Feb 07, 2008
Afam,

Why would someone continue to use and switch identities online if the person is not criminally minded?
Do you have proofs for this accusation? It will be nice if you can offer more than unsubstantiated claims. This accusations are getting so repetitive and not in good taste. let's all try and grow up a little bit.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 4:30pm On Feb 07, 2008
Tayo-D:

Afam,
Do you have proofs for this accusation? It will be nice if you can offer more than unsubstantiated claims. This accusations are getting so repetitive and not in good taste. let's all try and grow up a little bit.

You want proof that some of you have been using multiple identities or proof that people that do so are not criminally minded?

You must be kidding me if the former is what you are referring to because the facts are there for all to see.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 4:35pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Afam,

You want proof that some of you have been using multiple identities or proof that people that do so are not criminally minded?
Perhaps you will do everyone  aworld of good if you provide both.

You must be kidding me if the former is what you are referring to because the facts are there for all to see.
If it is so glaring, it shouldn't be any bother for you to provide the proofs then.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by RichyBlacK(m): 4:37pm On Feb 07, 2008
The idiotic toddlers running US foreign policy are at it again. Peaceful Iran is minding her business and Bush, Cheney and the rest of the cabal of fools are looking for any excuse to create a market and profit from the sale of military hardware - weapons which are increasingly becoming useless in an age where information reigns supreme.

Their creed: No war, no profit.

May God punish Michael McConnell, George W Bush, Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice, and all the other agents of el Diablo who get a rise from the death of innocent men, women and children.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 4:51pm On Feb 07, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Afam,
Perhaps you will do everyone aworld of good if you provide both.

Are you guilty of using multiple IDs on this forum?

Tayo-D:

If it is so glaring, it shouldn't be any bother for you to provide the proofs then.

If you use a gun to rob people all the time and ask me to provide proof don't you think it will be difficult to do so even though I am on the side of truth?
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by RichyBlacK(m): 4:59pm On Feb 07, 2008
The more reason why the Democrats (hopefully not Clinton - she's sold part of her soul to corporate America) must win come November. All these war peddlers are only destroying America.

Iran has every right to develop nuclear technology for peaceful purposes. Enriched Uranium is necessary for some aspects of peaceful use of nuclear technology. This silent belief by the West, especially by the Bush-Cheney White House, that "nuclear technology is only for us and the puppets we can control", is arrogant.

Iran has every right in the world to develop nuclear technology for peaceful purposes and I am very happy that they are exercising that right.

If America, or any of its allies in the West, do not trust Iran, then that's their business. Their lack of trust CANNOT deny Iran her right.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 5:05pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Afam,

Are you guilty of using multiple IDs on this forum?
No I'm not. I used TayoD up until the time that user name was banned by Seun becuase I told him he was a hypocrit. I created a new user name Tayo-D, a close resemblance to the intitial one and my first posting on using the new ID was to acknowledge that I am the self same person. I have never used TayoD since I began using the new user name, and both are with the same signature.

If you use a gun to rob people all the time and ask me to provide proof don't you think it will be difficult to do so even though I am on the side of truth?
Are you saying you have no proof? So quit making accusations without proof. this forum is for those who make their points while giving reasons for that stand. No one learns from people who make a point without providing the backgorund and the information that led to that position. And by the way, armed robbers have been knwon to be prosecuted in court by those who fell victims to them.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by RichyBlacK(m): 5:08pm On Feb 07, 2008
America needs change real bad. These old White men (Condoleezza Rice is just a pawn on their chessboard), with their prejudiced-stricken foreign policy, have caused more harm on this planet than good. They pick on Iran because Iran would never ever bow to them. Fortunately for America, the days of the old, White, racist, xenophobic, Islamophobic men and women are numbered.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by ono(m): 5:22pm On Feb 07, 2008
Afam and trouble. sad
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 6:08pm On Feb 07, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Afam,
No I'm not. I used TayoD up until the time that user name was banned by Seun becuase I told him he was a hypocrit. I created a new user name Tayo-D, a close resemblance to the intitial one and my first posting on using the new ID was to acknowledge that I am the self same person. I have never used TayoD since I began using the new user name, and both are with the same signature.
Are you saying you have no proof? So quit making accusations without proof. this forum is for those who make their points while giving reasons for that stand. No one learns from people who make a point without providing the backgorund and the information that led to that position. And by the way, armed robbers have been knwon to be prosecuted in court by those who fell victims to them.

Good for you. Can you reproduce your first post where you specified that TayoD and Tayo-D are one and the same person?

Maybe you need to invite your friends like 4Play/Iman and Davidylan/4Him,PTH etc to explain why they were hiding under different usernames until they were exposed.

ono:

Afam and trouble. sad

Ono and complete stupidity.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 6:17pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Afam,

Good for you. Can you reproduce your first post where you specified that TayoD and Tayo-D are one and the same person?
If you are interested, you could easily find this yourself and so will anyone who cares to research into issues they are interested in knowing the facts about.

Maybe you need to invite your friends like 4Play/Iman and Davidylan/4Him,PTH etc to explain why they were hiding under different usernames until they were exposed.
That I chose to respond to you does not mean everyone will do the same. As for Davidlyan, everyone know he changes identities when he is banned and he never tries to hide his true self. As for 4play/Iman, I have no proof to assume it is the same person. The burden of proof is left with you the accuser. That is the way logic works.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by pahtahkee: 6:30pm On Feb 07, 2008
Afam:

Makes it supremely difficult to discuss issues as you may end up wasting your time with fraudsters and scammers.

Discussions are based on topics not on the discussant personality.

Afam learn to keep that in mind!
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 6:46pm On Feb 07, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Afam,
If you are interested, you could easily find this yourself and so will anyone who cares to research into issues they are interested in knowing the facts about.
That I chose to respond to you does not mean everyone will do the same. As for Davidlyan, everyone know he changes identities when he is banned and he never tries to hide his true self. As for 4play/Iman, I have no proof to assume it is the same person. The burden of proof is left with you the accuser. That is the way logic works.

How convenient, I make a statement and you insist I should provide proof, you make a statement and when asked to provide proof you veer off and tell anyone that cares to research, you see the same level of hypocrisy that I have been complaining about?

pahtahkee:

Discussions are based on topics not on the discussant personality.

Afam learn to keep that in mind!

Another stupid person hiding under different identity. When you guys are banned for whatever reasons why not stay away, is it by force to use a forum especially when you cannot abide by the rules set by the owner of the forum, you guys are pathetic.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by pahtahkee: 6:56pm On Feb 07, 2008
Afam:

Another stupid person hiding under different identity. When you guys are banned for whatever reasons why not stay away, is it by force to use a forum especially when you cannot abide by the rules set by the owner of the forum, you guys are pathetic.

Shut up, you this dog! Even a slowpoke can decipher who is behind the name. I dont blame you. It is just your constitution to always remain daft. cheesy
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by 4Play(m): 6:57pm On Feb 07, 2008
RichyBlacK:

The idiotic toddlers running US foreign policy are at it again. Peaceful Iran is minding her business and Bush, Cheney and the rest of the cabal of fools are looking for any excuse to create a market and profit from the sale of military hardware - weapons which are increasingly becoming useless in an age where information reigns supreme.

Why not address the substance of the claims instead of flinging wild conspiracy theories?

Unless France and Britain for instance,are all part of the "idiotic toddlers running US foreign policy",your rant is baseless.They have all said the same thing.

Is Iran enriching uranium?Yes. Is Iran developing missile delivery systems?Yes.Are these 2 aspects crucial ingredients of a nuclear weapons program?Yes.

The key is for Iran to fully comply with its international obligations.Even Russia has misgivings about Iran's nuclear programme.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 7:04pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Afam,

How convenient, I make a statement and you insist I should provide proof, you make a statement and when asked to provide proof you veer off and tell anyone that cares to research, you see the same level of hypocrisy that I have been complaining about?
This has nothing to do with hypocrisy. It has to do with telling you what to do in order to confirm or dismiss the notion you have. My last statement should not be read in isolation from everything we've said thus far. You made an accusation which you should provide a proof for. I told you how to get the facts you need. Do I still need to dig up those facts for you? If I just show you a statement without you knowing how I dug up that statement, don't you think it will provide more room for more speculation. That is why I feel you should make the research yourself.

Since we've diverted this topic long enough, here's the info you wanted. It is my first posting with this username on Sept 25, 2007 - @topic,

Okay I am back, albeit with a new user name. No thanks to the Obatanlapitipiti of nairaland. I was banned for bringing attention to his hypocrisy on the topic about King David.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by 4Play(m): 7:05pm On Feb 07, 2008
RichyBlacK:

The more reason why the Democrats (hopefully not Clinton - she's sold part of her soul to corporate America) must win come November. All these war peddlers are only destroying America.

Iran has every right to develop nuclear technology for peaceful purposes. Enriched Uranium is necessary for some aspects of peaceful use of nuclear technology. This silent belief by the West, especially by the Bush-Cheney White House, that "nuclear technology is only for us and the puppets we can control", is arrogant.

Every legal right is balanced by restrictions.Just like your freedom of speech is restricted by the legal rules pertaining to defamation for instance, so also is Iran's right to peaceful nuclear technology restricted by its NPT obligations.

The main arbiter on these matters-the IAEA-has noted that Iran is not fully complying with its legal obligations.You cannot invoke your legal rights when you have failed to fully discharge your legal obligations-the 2 go together.Iran's rights are subject to its obligations,you can't have one without the other.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 7:07pm On Feb 07, 2008
pahtahkee:

Shut up, you this dog! Even a slowpoke can decipher who is behind the name. I don't blame you. It is just your constitution to always remain daft. cheesy

Can you imagine? Someone who is constantly switching identities is beating his stupid chest that even a slowpoke should know he was switching identities. Wonders shall never end, maybe tomorrow armed robbers will brag that people ought to know them.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 7:17pm On Feb 07, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Afam,
This has nothing to do with hypocrisy. It has to do with telling you what to do in order to confirm or dismiss the notion you have. My last statement should not be read in isolation from everything we've said thus far. You made an accusation which you should provide a proof for. I told you how to get the facts you need. Do I still need to dig up those facts for you? If I just show you a statement without you knowing how I dug up that statement, don't you think it will provide more room for more speculation. That is why I feel you should make the research yourself.

Since we've diverted this topic long enough, here's the info you wanted. It is my first posting with this username on Sept 25, 2007 - @topic,

Okay I am back, albeit with a new user name. No thanks to the Obatanlapitipiti of nairaland. I was banned for bringing attention to his hypocrisy on the topic about King David.

Ok, not everyone sleeps and wakes up on the Religion Section so there is no way I would have come across that considering the fact that many of you that try to pretend to be good christians are filled with hatred towards a people which is pure hypocrisy and sycophancy.

So, on the issue of I-man/4 Play, he could not deny it when he was exposed, if you want proof just ask him and I am sure he has been embarrassed enough on this forum so should be able to respond to you, truthfully even if this will be his first time to do so in a long long while.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by 4Play(m): 7:31pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Afam

You always sound like a rancid cretin.That I switched my user name was made known by me from the very first day.

Obviously,you probably expect a public announcement but since when did I have to meet the absurd expectations of the putrid minded like you?
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by pahtahkee: 7:57pm On Feb 07, 2008
Afam:

Can you imagine? Someone who is constantly switching identities is beating his stupid chest that even a slowpoke should know he was switching identities. Wonders shall never end, maybe tomorrow armed robbers will brag that people ought to know them.

Your analogy is very daft! An armed robber steals and protects his/her identity for the purpose of stealing again. Tell me, what I am stealing from you or this forum, that will make me hide my identity? cheesy cheesy

Afam, your stupidity is really astonishing. Are you being paid to remain stupid constantly?
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by TayoD1(m): 8:27pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Afam

Ok, not everyone sleeps and wakes up on the Religion Section so there is no way I would have come across that considering the fact that many of you that try to pretend to be good christians are filled with hatred towards a people which is pure hypocrisy and sycophancy.
Again you gone of on a tangent making spurious accusations without any facts to back it up. Are you so full of yourself that you expect people to just take you at your word even when such has never beeing shown to be factual? As for finding that statement, common sense dictates that you can easily find the first and last post of a person when you click on their profile and follow the instructions there. I thought you are smart enough to figure that out. I guess I was wrong.

So, on the issue of I-man/4 Play, he could not deny it when he was exposed, if you want proof just ask him and I am sure he has been embarrassed enough on this forum so should be able to respond to you, truthfully even if this will be his first time to do so in a long long while.
this again is based on what you have to say, which truthfully isn;t reliable enough for me. I know its outside your comfort zone, but please try and provide proofs next time. You are not giving a good impression of yourself with this.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by RichyBlacK(m): 9:53pm On Feb 07, 2008
4 Play:

Every legal right is balanced by restrictions.Just like your freedom of speech is restricted by the legal rules pertaining to defamation for instance, so also is Iran's right to peaceful nuclear technology restricted by its NPT obligations.

The main arbiter on these matters-the IAEA-has noted that Iran is not fully complying with its legal obligations.You cannot invoke your legal rights when you have failed to fully discharge your legal obligations-the 2 go together.Iran's rights are subject to its obligations,you can't have one without the other.

Then the US has no business interfering with the IAEA. The IAEA should be allowed to do its job of ensuring that Iran meets up with its legal obligation. All Western nations should back off and allow the IAEA do its job. Why are they interfering? Why are they clamoring for sanctions when the IAEA is still in negotiation with Iran. Iran has always cooperated with the IAEA, why can't the warmongers of the Bush administration allow the IAEA do its job?
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Tornadoz(m): 1:09am On Feb 08, 2008
Afam is right in pointing out people who use multiple identities.Seun is to blame for this contemptible act. If it was stopped in its embryonic stage most people won't be doing it now. With most top notch sites, you can't just re-register a new name after you've been banned, this would negate the purpose for which you were banned. A ban should be a ban.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by texazzpete(m): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2008
Tornadoz:

Afam is right in pointing out people who use multiple identities.Seun is to blame for this contemptible act. If it was stopped in its embryonic stage most people won't be doing it now. With most top notch sites, you can't just re-register a new name after you've been banned, this would negate the purpose for which you were banned. A ban should be a ban.
. . .and how exactly does using a different name negate the veracity of a post?
I don't know who YOU are, Tornadoz is most certainly not your real name (in real life). all i can do is to reply whatever you post online.
We are here to discuss points of view, not quibble over which person is using another name or not.

The burden of proof remains with the accuser, and every educated person should know that.
Re: Us Intelligence Chief Retreats On Iran Claim by Afam(m): 1:01pm On Feb 08, 2008
4 Play/I-man, TayoD/Tayo-D, mr pataki/pahtahkee,

Since you guys believe it is perfectly normal for you to use multiple IDs on a discussion forum after being banned then it means that you guys are shameless.

Must you use a forum when you cannot abide by the rules set by the owner? You guys sound desperate as if you don't have any life outside this forum.

It is such desperation that is affecting you people and has blinded you guys into thinking that using/hiding under different user names is a cool thing.

Continue with your shameless acts, it is only sad that such multiplicity of identities may have put a lot of people off on this forum as you never know who is making a point and who is supporting the same point since some of us here can actually have up to 3 or more usernames at the same time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bankole's And 4 Bullet Proof Jeeps / Gani Buried In Gold Casket - He Is A Candidate Of Aljanah - Chief Imam / What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.