Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,713 members, 7,813,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt (6900 Views)

4 Year Old Accidentally Kills 11 Month-old Baby In Abuja / Her Six Months Old Baby Gazes Sternly At Her During Sex- She's Worried. / Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by GeJ79: 6:06am On Nov 20, 2012
AWKA—A SEVEN – MONTH old baby boy, Uchenna Nwoye, his parents and two others were allegedly arrested and detained by the police in Onitsha over N20 000 debt owed by the parents.

They were arrested at Ifitedunu in Dunukofia local government area of Anambra State by policemen from Fegge Police Stattion, Onitsha, for failure to pay the N20,000 to a woman Uchenna’s father allegedly did business with.

Narrating the incident to newsmen, yesterday, in Onitsha, mother of the boy, 23-year-old Mrs. Ukamaka Nwoye, said they were whisked away by the policemen without any reason, adding that they were fast asleep when heavily armed policemen numbering over 20 forced open their door and arrested all the occupants, including the 7-months-old boy.

She said: “On November 7, at about 2.30am, we were all asleep when suddenly, some policemen came into our compound and forced their way into our house and arrested us, including my 7-month-old baby.They took us to their bus and whisked us away to a place we later found out was Fegge Police Station, Onitsha.

“They denied us the opportunity to call any of our relations. It was one of the policemen who saw how my child was almost suffocating inside the cell that secretly helped me to call one of my brothers and I told him where we were being detained. We spent over seven days in detention.”

SOURCE: VANGUARD

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/police-detain-7-month-old-baby-parents-over-n20000-debt/
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 20, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by MadCow1: 8:28am On Nov 20, 2012
Twenty Policemen to arrest a person over a debt = EXAGGERATION..

7-Month old Baby in a Nigerian Cell = Police Brutality

Arresting a person over a civil issue such as a bad debt = Over-stepping of boundaries

THE NIGERIAN POLICE HAS NO BUSINESS ACTING AS A LOAN RETRIVING AGENCY..

This again brings me back to education 101..

ALWAYS GET YOURSELF A LAWYER: When once you are arrested by the Police wherever you are (home & abroad), as soon as you make that phone call, make sure the next words out of your mouth after the location Police Station is 'COME WITH A LAWYER'..

Know your rights. 7 Days in Police custody can only happen because you did not get yourself a lawyer. The Police cannothold a suspect for more than 24hours without charging him/her to court. Except its a case for murder.

- Putting a nursing mother and her baby behind bars is a big crime. The woman should get herself a great lawyer and file criminal charges against the police and also bring a civil suit against them where she can claim damages..

THE NIGERIAN POLICE FEAR LAWYERS... #Fact

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by queensmith: 8:28am On Nov 20, 2012
this isnt police business at all,

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by jmoore(m): 8:33am On Nov 20, 2012
Not surprised. Who detains a baby? Only a foolish man will do such a thing. smh
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by ypzilanti: 8:35am On Nov 20, 2012
Policemen? Abi na debt recovery agents? Hope they are sacked by tommorow. Odes.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by buhak: 8:38am On Nov 20, 2012
CAN WE GET THE NAMES OF POLICE OFFICERS AND THE NAME OF THE STATION
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by strangest(m): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2012
In as much as what the police did was bad... people must learn not to go borrowing, so that there will be no sorrow tomorrow....
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by safarigirl(f): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2012
One man owes ordinary 20k and they're detaining his wife and kid, how will the woman get her money back when everyone who could've sourced for the money is locked up? Nigerians like bullying people they're superior to, who friggin detains a baby? If anything happens to him, with the right lawyer, the parents can sue the lady and NPF for their worth
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Victorisrael(m): 8:41am On Nov 20, 2012
those police men most be fools for that act and the need to be purnished
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 20, 2012
How i wish i could round up all my debtors.

In this case, the man should have been the only one arrested, the prison cells in our police stations are unhealthy, especially for kids.

What were they thinking
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Babalegba(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2012
I will always wonder why Nigerians are classified as human beings despite all these contrary behaviourial anomalies. Almost zero empathy, lack of control, insane greed and love of lawlessness are overwhelmingly present in the live of the average Nigerian.Shame on the police apes and the Nigerian mindset in general.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by mumumugu(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2012
Naija police, always aresting, goat, dog and baby while bokoharam and armd robber stil operate
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Lawconfessor(f): 8:45am On Nov 20, 2012
For over 7days wit a 7months old baby?

Oh! Dis is too much o. After all na d papa for dey dat detention nah.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by noskybanj(m): 8:46am On Nov 20, 2012
Dis is stupid. A baby in d cell? Dem dey mad? Sack d police men, sack d IG, sack d Governor nd sack all d sackables connected 2 dis barbaric act. Mtcheeeeew
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 20, 2012
Nigeria,a country of funny tales
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by victord1st: 8:54am On Nov 20, 2012
[quote author=chaircover]20 policemen!!!! for a 20K debt . . . .and detain 7 month old baby for 7 days shocked Kilo le to be?

The problem now is that won je gbese!!!!! They are now going to have to pay like 10 times the amount that they owe to pay off the 20 policemen, their bail and other expenses such as petrol for the van that ferried the 20 policemen lipsrsealed.

If only people do the right thing at the right time then 2 wrongs wont be needed to make a right!

Poor baby! having to go through all of thi

talking trash

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by toyindebare(m): 8:56am On Nov 20, 2012
Police is a disgrace to Nigeria!.why can't they be reasonable?.Detainning 7months old baby 'cos of 20k debt?. Quite unreasonable thing to do by those who claim that they are friends of the masses. I rest my case
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by buccal(m): 9:02am On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: 20 policemen!!!! for a 20K debt . . . .and detain 7 month old baby for 7 days shocked Kilo le to be?

The problem now is that won je gbese!!!!! They are now going to have to pay like 10 times the amount that they owe to pay off the 20 policemen, their bail and other expenses such as petrol for the van that ferried the 20 policemen lipsrsealed.

If only people do the right thing at the right time then 2 wrongs wont be needed to make a right!

Poor baby! having to go through all of this due to his parents stupidity and carelessness. I am sure that if they had come up with a good enough solution on how to pay the money back, the person they owed the money too wouldn't have gone as far to the police. They are all at fault jare from the police to the debtor to the person owed the money.
why do people talk like dis,if dey are livin comfortably,would they borrow?maybe they borrowed to feed the poor child sef and ure here talking shit.why call them foolish cos they borrowed.fingers are not equal remember

2 Likes

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 20, 2012
a seven month old baby is an innocent,and the police have no right to detain him/her,everyone is innocent until proven guilty,the IGP must hear this
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by murphyjesse: 9:03am On Nov 20, 2012
[left][/left]Those police if demm carry dem at dat age too dem for de roam the whole street by nwThose police if demm carry dem at dat age too dem for de roam the whole street by nwThose police if demm carry dem at dat age too dem for de roam the whole street by nw
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 20, 2012
how can one get this message across to the igp,does he have an open line?
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 20, 2012
The station and the DPO's name shoul;d be made public
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Afrocatalyst: 9:14am On Nov 20, 2012
This is insane. Abeg who knows how to check PM on NL. I just got one and dont know how to check it. I checked my mail but didnt find anytin there.help pals pls
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by MadCow1: 9:24am On Nov 20, 2012
Afrocatalyst: This is insane. Abeg who knows how to check PM on NL. I just got one and dont know how to check it. I checked my mail but didnt find anytin there.help pals pls

Go to

Internet explorer setting in your mailbox. Click on NAIRALAND MAIL.. Then exit and try it again.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by nkemKalu: 9:26am On Nov 20, 2012
WHERE IS THE IGP? DOES HE READ NEWSPAPERS AT ALL?............HE SHOULD PLEASE ACT NOW AND INVESTIGATE THIS MATTER PROPERLY OTHERWISE THE CREDIBILITY OF THE POLICE IS AT STAKE AND HE SHOULD MAKE HIS FINDINGS PUBLIC
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by fluffybaby(f): 9:45am On Nov 20, 2012
White man be racist bro, we Nigerians are good mehn. We are trying to bring back our old religious beliefs(Ritual killings) we rule our people well(SAP,vision 2000,2010,2020) we have a good data base where we keep record of our people(National I'd) our security personel are always ready to protect(yels ke we shoot at site illegal drivers and okada men who dare rob nigeria of #20 roger at check point) we handle matters reported well(yels we arrest all arrestable including goat, cat, yam,babies, moms, dads,mad men etc etc) we clean the street of arms and dangerous weapon(by lending them to our night working pals for a small fee)
So, people can run their mouths Nigeria is doing well.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Obidonreal: 9:47am On Nov 20, 2012
this is flipping,ruddy and sodding stupid, mark these words,these policemen are acting aberrantly n eccentrically,dis is utterly repugnant,i'm getting tired of nigeria
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by olempe(m): 9:47am On Nov 20, 2012
No be small thing ooo...
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by eseosa77(m): 9:52am On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: 20 policemen!!!! for a 20K debt . . . .and detain 7 month old baby for 7 days shocked Kilo le to be?

Poor baby! having to go through all of this due to his parents stupidity and carelessness. I am sure that if they had come up with a good enough solution on how to pay the money back, the person they owed the money too wouldn't have gone as far to the police. They are all at fault jare from the police to the debtor to the person owed the money.

u talk sencelessly,what if the parents of the baby has no money to pay back their debt,does that warrant the detention of 4 persons for 7 days includind the innocent baby.When did the police become an agent of debt recovery.there are legal way of recovering debt without infringing on ur debtors fundamental human rights. some people just come here to spew nonsence out of the smelling mouth,even if given the chance you would do more than that.

2 Likes

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 20, 2012

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

His Wife Was Molested In Front Of His Son / She Is Always In Pain During Sex!!! / Men,would You Allow Your Wives Have Their Own Capital Investments?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.