Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,539 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt (6910 Views)

4 Year Old Accidentally Kills 11 Month-old Baby In Abuja / Her Six Months Old Baby Gazes Sternly At Her During Sex- She's Worried. / Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by 5much(m): 10:07am On Nov 20, 2012
this issue shd b investigated thoroughly
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by agitator: 10:13am On Nov 20, 2012
Mad Cow: Twenty Policemen to arrest a person over a debt = EXAGGERATION..

7-Month old Baby in a Nigerian Cell = Police Brutality

Arresting a person over a civil issue such as a bad debt = Over-stepping of boundaries

THE NIGERIAN POLICE HAS NO BUSINESS ACTING AS A LOAN RETRIVING AGENCY..

This again brings me back to education 101..

ALWAYS GET YOURSELF A LAWYER: When once you are arrested by the Police wherever you are (home & abroad), as soon as you make that phone call, make sure the next words out of your mouth after the location Police Station is 'COME WITH A LAWYER'..

Know your rights. 7 Days in Police custody can only happen because you did not get yourself a lawyer. The Police cannothold a suspect for more than 24hours without charging him/her to court. Except its a case for murder.

- Putting a nursing mother and her baby behind bars is a big crime. The woman should get herself a great lawyer and file criminal charges against the police and also bring a civil suit against them where she can claim damages..

THE NIGERIAN POLICE FEAR LAWYERS... #Fact

Bro, in Nigeria, it's cheaper to bribe (bail) the police than to hire a lawyer.

Claiming damages in 9ja court? I laugh in ALUU grin grin grin

You can only succeed if there is someone connected behind you, that is the reality in 9ja.

Whole families are arrested for an offense committed by one person. Not because they are accomplices before or after the fact. But it increases the bail amount the police can collect.

Do you think if people have been succeeding in suing the police for damages and claims in 9ja courts, the police will still be highhanded?
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by queensmith: 10:15am On Nov 20, 2012
buccal: why do people talk like dis,if dey are livin comfortably,would they borrow?maybe they borrowed to feed the poor child sef and ure here talking shit.why call them foolish cos they borrowed.fingers are not equal remember

thats what i was thinking, was a completely out of touch statement. Whether people will intentionally put themselves into such positions is one thing. Who will spend the night with their family in jail instead of home. Who will intentionally go through such humiliation?

I guess its easy to look down on those poor people, weren't we just debating on a business man who owes access bank millions of dollars and can still brag on tv? The little people who default on their loans are harassed by the police. its just a shame.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 20, 2012

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 20, 2012
Madam CC, lots of people will not understand the business environment in Nigeria.
The Lawyer in me has really helped me sha, my employees in my shop sign a standard contract, I no get power for excuses and Anty this and that, I monitor and check but I don't stay long enough for "friends" and relatives who want credit, I tell them to meet the manager who will tell them we have a no credit policy. Case closed.
They will frustrate you ehnn, Nigerian Debtors don't see the need to repay a loan, they are very comfortable owing you forever or paying you in wicked pieces.
I keep business business and relationships relationships, they say I too do oyibo but my dear I learnt from experience. I live a simple content and debt free life it is not that I cannot live a fake life on laons and debts too I choose not too, you can't afford it then don't buy it. You can't pay back then don't ask for a loan.
Me no get power abeg.
Someone buys a suit wears it for 2 years and has not paid for it, haba

2 Likes

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by redsun(m): 11:33am On Nov 20, 2012
Barbarians.20,000 Naira,that is equivalent to 80 pounds and enough to put a family with a suckling through that agony.Somebody should get me speaking with the debtor,i will send the money to them.I mean the real person,not some dubious opportunist.

The creditor could be a wife/mistress of one of the oroforofo police
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 20, 2012
However the action of the Police is plain Illegal, the man should petition the IG and sue to Police.
The issue of Nigerians and bad debts I will leave for another day. However so many Nigerians are bad and shameless debtors.
When you want a loan from me I have a long bulky TOA document for you
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by redsun(m): 12:02pm On Nov 20, 2012
You dont give loans without collaterals or else it will mean a gift.

Although,i like the flexibility of credit giving in nigeria.How easy it is to go to a local corner shop and ask the shop owner that knows you very well for credit when you are broke,like the mallams that sells cigaretts and bread.It is good for both parties when all goes smoothly,but could very risky for the business person if he/she is dealing with individuals without principles,that sees nothing beneficial in reciprocating good and keeping the tempo flowing.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by redsun(m): 12:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: redsun I dont know what to say o! because even the "biz people" ones amongst us sometimes get caught out.

I had a 6 month pregnant woman who bought 4 lots of 10 yards of lace form me in anticipation of her naming ceremony party. The woman though was a first tine customer came highly recommended. I didnt attend the party but I heard how there were bottles and bottles of moet on the tables. . . . she & her hubby wore all 4 lace materials

Lets just say that when the baby turned one year old; I gave up chasing her for the money! she only paid for one lot of 10 yards remaining 3 lots, but even then it was in dribs and drabs and I was the one driving to her house(of course she was never in even though she gave me appointments).

How would someone owe another person money for clothes she used to do naming ceremony on her own child shocked Some people dont have conscience o!

You dont give credit to people like that because that was not necessary.It was not a do or die issue,a child can be named without ceremony and if you come across that are willing to be indebted for such things,avoid them,because they are fo-ols and foo-ls dont pay debts.

People should only do that when they can comfortably afford.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
Madam CC na you dey cause am, using sentiments to do business.
I have learnt that selling on credit never pays, either they don't pay or they pay in useless bits of hang on when you need your money.
If you must get them to sign an undertaken. If you stay and be doing Anty na you go loose.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by redsun(m): 12:37pm On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: debrief and redsun, I was naive back then o! some of the things one learns when one starts out in biz.

Now if you enter my shop and cant afford to pay for the item, you will drop deposit and if you dont come back in 4 weeks time to pay the balance & pick up your item you forfeit your deposit end of!

Good,that is called lay-away.Give then a long rope to pay instalmentally,if they cant pay up after a certain considerable period,then they forfit their money,while you retain your goods.

There are different ways to kill a rat.Sometimes stringently controlled market is not always the best,flexibilities opens up avenues for better returns.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by agitator: 12:45pm On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: many of the people here talking dont know the reality what it is like to be owed money that they themselves need.

Using myself as an example, I had a shop girl who I was paying a very good wage to & she benefited from so many perks and people that know me personaly know that I am not the average madam employer. Did that stop her from stealing? NO! She stole my items worth 50K. . . . that’s even the one that I knew about. She was caught, she confessed and I asked her to pay it back. That’s when the cat and mouse started between her, her guarantor and us.

I eventually took her to the police station they even wanted to arrest her but I was the one who paid her bail from my own pocket because I didn't want her put in a cell. She confessed to stealing so that alone was enough for her to be arrested.

We all agreed dates that she will pay the money back and how and she signed an undertaking in the police station to that effect but until this day not a penny, this was 15 months ago. I know where to find her but I just can’t be bothered, to her she got away with it, but she will do it again to someone else and next time she may not have it so easy. I could absorb the 50K but not everyone can.

The main reason why I opened my own shop is because I was fed up of supplying goods to people but they would not pay on the date agreed and you keep on chasing them around. Having debt doesn’t seen to be a big deal to some people. This has nothing to do with being rich or poor and there are a number of big names on the Allen Avenue/Toyin Street axis that still owe me money until today. Some will even open their big gob and tell you that Nigeria is in debt so what is the big deal in the thousands that they owe you?

When I used to sell lace nko?? that is another story for another day lipsrsealed

We hear emotional headline stories and we all feel sorry for the “victims” but the reality can be very different. The man/woman who was owed the money probably needed the money desperately too.

The police overdid it no doubt and I dont see the benefit/reasoning of sending 20 armed police to arrest a whole family including an innocent baby when it is only one person that they need and they need to be disciplined for that, however my blaming the father was because people dont just go to the police as the first point of call and there would have been many missed deadlines etc before the person owed money went to the police.

What is the correlation of this useless story with owing. Somebody stole from you and you in your normal daftness decide to compare it with another person owing? angry angry

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 20, 2012
Good one Madam CC, They do the same at my place but return your deposit if you can't pay. But a small amount ia charged for "hanging" my goods
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 20, 2012
Madam CC, Please don't answer the last poster. Let's keep it clean and healthy. Its better to ignore somethings

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 20, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 20, 2012
I trust you jare. How market?
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2012
Pm I no dey get, send mail to Acknowledge when you see so I can edit
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 20, 2012
Hmmmm!
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by johndavid1(m): 2:06pm On Nov 20, 2012
mumumugu: Naija police, always aresting, goat, dog and baby while bokoharam and armd robber stil operate
grin grin grin grin
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: redsun I dont know what to say o! because even the "biz people" ones amongst us sometimes get caught out.

I had a 6 month pregnant woman who bought 4 lots of 10 yards of lace form me in anticipation of her naming ceremony party. The woman though was a first tine customer came highly recommended. I didnt attend the party but I heard how there were bottles and bottles of moet on the tables. . . . she & her hubby wore all 4 lace materials

Lets just say that when the baby turned one year old; I gave up chasing her for the money! she only paid for one lot of 10 yards remaining 3 lots, but even then the one she paid for was in dribs and drabs and I was the one driving to her house(of course she was never in even though she gave me appointments).

How would someone owe another person money for clothes she used to do naming ceremony on her own child shocked Some people dont have conscience o!

LOL @ some people don't have conscience. Actually most sellers don't have conscience.
They go from office to office,pleading and forcing people to buy things they do not need and assuring them they are free to pay any time-o course the price of these goods being sold on credit has been inflated 100%.
For instance a bundle of lace material costing 1000 naira could be sold on credit for 50,000 Naira.
Of course when the buyer visits the open market and discovers the actual cost of the items,they are always reluctant to pay and so the vicious circle rolls on. In the end the debtor is arrested by the police who make sure they arrest the debtor with as many members of hisd family possible in order to collect as much bail egunje as possible!
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2012

1 Like

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by ifyalways(f): 2:53pm On Nov 20, 2012
strangest: In as much as what the police did was bad... people must learn not to go borrowing, so that there will be no sorrow tomorrow....
depends on what the loan is to be used for. No man is an island, instead of dying in pains, reach out for help.

@topic, very unfortunate. If the creditor can afford to "move" policemen by 2am from Önitsha to Ifitedunu, s/he can comfortably afford to write-off the debt. We need to be a lil' more compassionate in this country.

Poverty is a sin.I pray its all settled amicably now.
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover: see orishirishi tactics grin grin grin

Some people just never ever give up and will say anything just to get a reaction lipsrsealed Ok we have noticed you . . .we have noticed that you are back in the same family section that you vowed over and over never to return to. Anyways Welcome back sir cheesy

you should arrest and detain that your maths teacher o!. . . grin grin grin

Did I touch a raw nerve? Some people are so sensitive. Every one knows what I said is the truth.
Seller walks into an office with a bag of wares which she/he forces on the buyer for 100 times the cost in the open market.
Secondly the goods being sdold are most times immitation and inferior goods,but because the buyer has no money he/ she agrees to buy at the cut throat price since she/ he is allowed to pay as many times as possible.
There is also the possibility that after washing the lace ONCE all the colours run and the material appears faded and as such the buyer refuses to pay the seller, because the product is not worth the price!
Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 20, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by shevon: 3:41pm On Nov 20, 2012
ehie: how can one get this message across to the igp,does he have an open line?

Re: Police Detain 7-month-old Baby, Parents Over N20,000 Debt by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 20, 2012
chaircover:

LOL you need to change your suppliers grin

everybody knows that my prices are way below even market rates and my products are 100% genuine and I dont do china or dubai. I am sure that when my customers & people who know me personally start reading this thread, they will confirm this (BTW unlike others my NL personality is the same as my real life personality . . no fakes here LOL). . . . so what you are indirectly doing is giving me great publicity. Thank you very much sir. Most appreciated kiss

Some of us are in biz not for the money but because we enjoy it. PS if you want to visit my shop, and see moi in action feel free to pop in next month kiss grin

Hmmmmm!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Happy 4th Of July, My People O / Five Signs Your Husband Is Having An Affair With Your Maid / Why Is The Paternal Family So Disliked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.