Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,885 members, 7,824,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk (8577 Views)

Court Authorizes EFCC’s To Seize Tompolo’s Properties / EFCC To Seize Tompolo's Property / China Creates Its First No- Cellphone Sidewalk Lane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by cgem: 12:03pm On Nov 20, 2012
Its appalling some people are complaining. When things go bad in Nigeria, people will start comparing us to the US and other European Countries. However, when a truely great leader adapts his state to what is obtainable in developed countries...the same people will start spitting fire...little wonder do Nigerians deserve the bad leaders they have? I will YES! Fashola carry go jor!
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by gwas(m): 12:04pm On Nov 20, 2012
pro01: One reason why I don't like to drive always in Lagos during working hours is because of the difficulty of finding parking space at certain destinations - and the attendant fear of the LASTMA goons towing away one's car. That's why I found Okadas very convenient for movements to certain areas during working hours (e.g. Allen Avenue/Opebi, Alausa CBD, and Lagos Island CBD) where parking space is hard to find. Now, they've banned Okadas, thereby forcing us to use our cars compulsorily, and now they are threatening us with seizure if we park along sidewalks.

This government is clearly bereft of ideas, so it has resorted to knee-jerk and strong-arm oppressive tactics to mask its deficiencies.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by SisiKill1: 12:19pm On Nov 20, 2012
Instead of thinking about the new business opportunities these laws create....my Naija brothers and sisters complain and complain and complain.

God help us.

1 Like

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by wayscady(m): 12:25pm On Nov 20, 2012
@ yomieluv, i think u are lack of town planning rules and guildeline, town planning will never approve any building without a parking space, tell ur father and other landlords to stop converting the parking space to a role of shops[b][/b] .
Yomieluv: Fasola is loosing it,he needs to change its tatics.

Let him face more pressing need of the people,rather than all these nonsense.

Where do you want us to park our cars,on the roof?
Oga Fasola,if you can't rule again,simply resign,don't use all these to cover your incompetence

1 Like

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by anonimi: 12:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
Most of us complaining seem to have forgotten the saying:

Necessity is the mother of invention

Smart people should now be identifying vacant plots in built up areas that they can fence, put a gate and hire security guards to charge people for parking there at different rates- hourly, daily, weekly etc. The business can the evolve into better, modern parking space and other related real estate ventures.
They however need to be sure that this VERY GOOD policy will be maintained FOREVER.

It is not government business to be doing business. PERIOD!
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Alpet(m): 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2012
What fashola did was right, "we all know the right thing to do, the hard part is doing it". We know dat parking by the road side is at risk and has even caused alot of accidents nd traffic jam. But what I expect form BRF is to construct public garage.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by felifeli: 1:18pm On Nov 20, 2012
azpeculiar:

This is not about Okadas but illegal street parking.

My next door neighbor lost his car to car-jackers about a month ago when he parked it on an adjoining street all night. Prior to that he must have felt Fashola was wicked! I'd like to sample his opinion now.

If you do not want to live in a mega-city, if you can't be a law-abiding resident in a mega-city relocate to Ogun state ASAP! The days of being cajoled and appealed to be responsible are gone! Period!

**Now wheels him in to see a psychiatrist.**

Na wa o ! So if my car miss now I no go no whether na real tief people tief am or na Fasola.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by ypzilanti: 1:38pm On Nov 20, 2012
I remember when they said all street gates should be open until 12pm. People shouted blue murder, but the initiative proved to be a good one to free traffic in Lagos.

Even when the BRT lanes were being constructed on Ikorodu road, they shouted all sort of abuses at government. Now we have seen the benefit.

Some of the people shouting about Okada on highways are people who will still be alive by this time next year only because of this law.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by awuf2008: 1:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
By the time fashola leaves office where will he return to? He is proofing to be a super hero now and when he leaves, he will definitely turn to a villain. Eko oni baje ooooo

CrazyMan:

http://www.punchng.com/news/lasg-to-seize-vehicles-parked-on-sidewalk/
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Dansadaumallam(m): 1:49pm On Nov 20, 2012
Fashola is doing great with this directive bc it will lead to sanity and social order. I am greatly worried that the same people who blame our leaders for not replicating what they see abroad are the same people condenming BRF. In 90 days time people will be thanking God for this law. I wish this law was introduced here in Aba ,I would enjoy 50k+ in my account each month.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 20, 2012
A good move, in my opinion. It's been that way for decades in developed countries, and big cities. You park on the sidewalk (designated for pedestrians) and your car gets towed. You pay the fine, you retrieve your automobile.

I don't see why it should be any different in Lagos.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by olivertwist: 2:04pm On Nov 20, 2012
Gov. Fashola, pls continue to lay a firm foundation for Lagos state with the BRICKS that haters are throwing at you. TIME will TELL.

Eko o ni baje.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by awuf2008: 2:12pm On Nov 20, 2012
I hope he doesn't ruin the state before he leaves the office. Eko oni baje....sugbon ko ma baje ju be lo..

olivertwist: Gov. Fashola, pls continue to lay a firm foundation for Lagos state with the BRICKS that haters are throwing at you. TIME will TELL.

Eko o ni baje.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 20, 2012
And the fact is, Lagos is over crowded, as far as automobile go. I've never understood why a household of husband, wife and three children would have 4 vehicles and above. In some instances, the wives don't even drive! There are single young men who own 6 cars! What's the point?

Then they all moan about congestion, and grumble when laws to restrict parking on pedestrian walkways are introduced. I don't blame Fashola - those who deliberately flout rules deserve to have their vehicles impounded, then crushed.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by lumeneng22: 2:25pm On Nov 20, 2012
YES we have seen it,our eyes have opened we will never ever vote for a useless party like acn again in lagos God forbid bad thin,Eko ti bajeoooooo!
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by olivertwist: 2:42pm On Nov 20, 2012
Alpet: What fashola did was right, "we all know the right thing to do, the hard part is doing it". We know dat parking by the road side is at risk and has even caused alot of accidents nd traffic jam. But what I expect form BRF is to construct public garage.

Right on point bro. But I don't think it's the job of the Gov to build public garages in every local council of the state. I think this is a very good means by which L.G councils can generate revenue like it's done abroad. Also private investors could take advantage of this huge opportunity.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by talktimi(m): 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
idowuswap: Igbos are the most animal that constituite nuisansical act in lasgidi.bcuzz if they go thief motor then go park am for road side so police no go fit get their clue.shitttttt
mr idowu, you're living a very sad life. Instead of contributing positively to this thread either for or against, you brought tribalism into it. I pity you and the way you were brought up because your parents/guardians certainly didn't bring you up well with this mindset. In my opinion I believe adequate provisions should be made for alternative car parks including multi storey complexes both by the state and private owners first. Even the abroad people are talking of have parking meters at strategic places and people still park by the road side as long as its not blocking anything like a fire hydrant for example. We can only advice the lagos state govt to be careful the way they churn out laws because they might just fall dead on arrival with people revolting under the tyranny.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by omosexy1: 2:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
Ejiné: Very good!
Government should build multi-decker parking lots though. Abi wetin una think?

A good way to generate money. Fashola doesn't think. I have always said it I would double Lagos income per month if I become Governor
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by omosexy1: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2012
lumeneng22: YES we have seen it,our eyes have opened we will never ever vote for a useless party like acn again in lagos God forbid bad thin,Eko ti bajeoooooo!

This is not party politics but sanity in the state. Whether PDP or ACN, Okada would be ban because alot of stakeholders will mount pressure on the government. I believe after this phase, the next is to go after reckless commercial vehicles. IMO ban these commercial vehicles and sell the routes to responsible private companies who will renew their licence every 3 years, provide top class vehicles to ply Lagos state. Criminalize street hawking before the hawkers turn criminals and terrorize drivers.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by naptu2: 3:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
Marina Car Park.

In the '70s and '80s when zoning laws were still being obeyed, Marina was the financial capital of Nigeria. All the big banks had their headquarters on either Broad Street or Marina Street, many government parastatals had their headquarters there and the stock exchange is also situated in that district. Victoria Island was a quiet residential area at this time (it was difficult to get a taxi on V.I, let alone a commercial bus).

The Lagos Island Local Government built the Marina Car Park, so that people who come to work in the tall buildings would have a place to park their cars. At that time, anybody could park anywhere in the car park (for a fee of course).

Over the years, the local government has leased sections of the car park to specific organisations in the area (for example, UBA has leased a section of the car park that is opposite its headquarters), but there's still a large section of the car park that's open to the public (I can't remember exactly, but the fee is either 100 naira or 200 naira).

I'm trying to get pictures of the buildings I mentioned earlier (that have parking facilities on their first and second floors).

Picture below: a small section of the car park that's leased by UBA.

1 Share

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Meddler(f): 3:45pm On Nov 20, 2012
The reason why nigeria will remain in its current state. I can't believe that ppl are actually complaining about this law. Its so sad. You want the country to develop but don't want to adhere to the laws of the land. The first thing that struck me when I came back to Nigeria apart from the dirt, grime and having to look left and right before crossing the sidewalks for pedesterian was the indiscriminate parking on sidewalk, middle of the road or just parked carelessly. Its high time we as citizens lived up to expectation because shout as much as you want Nigeria will neva change if we the citizens are unwilling to change.
BRF I commend you for bringing order to a chaotic society. Maybe change is possible afterall in this country. Thank you for seeing what's outside and bringing them closer to home.
Now if you can somehow implement this law in Abuja I wud be most grateful. Abuja drivers dare I say are the worst breed of drivers. For a Lagosian to even affirm this means we have a serious problem.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 20, 2012

Oga Fasola,if you can't rule again,simply resign,don't use all these to cover your incompetence

You're a complete BUSH MAN. You need to go online, look at cities and see how the sidewalk culture is respected by all civilized nations! Parking your car on a sidewalk is simply NOT ON. angry
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 20, 2012
In fact what we need now are for MORE roads to have sidewalks built into them, because we are still very highly deficient in that area. Too many of our roads are built without them and that needs to change.

Can you imagine a whole major street like Allen Avenue in Ikeja, Lagos has no sidewalks? Just an open gutter on each side. It's incredible. This is a street that has some of the most upmarket shops and outlets in the city.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by moty4all: 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2012
LaGidi and Traffic Wahala
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by keeeem: 4:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
I sensed this long time ago. I think we need to learn some things in this part of the world. When people build houses, they build to the beginning of the govt roads. Setbacks are not given. People because they must make money must inconvenience others. What kind of a people are we. These same set of people go to USA, UK, Canada and so on and know that things are not done like that in those places yet our people just do things indiscriminately. I think this will teach some of these hopeless landlords some lessons that decorum should be observed at all times. People go to rent houses and the landlord tells u that cars are parked outside the compound. I went to inspect one when I was changing house recently and I felt sorry for those living there. Abeg Baba Fash carry on with your work. By the time vehicles are impounded, people will leave those houses to get accomodation in decent areas and the owners of those houses will be forced to either sell or demolish and rebuild.

More grease to your elbow Governor Fashola
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
Parking on so-called sidewalks in Lagos is definitely not the ideal situation, but it is an inevitable expedience in light of the government's failure to put in place an efficient and sufficient public transportation system - thereby forcing every middle class wannabe to put his or her tokunbo car on the roads. In Abuja for instance, one can do without compulsorily going out in one's private car because taxis are very cheap and overabundant.

In Lagos, taxis are priced beyond common sense, the danfo buses/Molues/BRTs are smelly and unfit for most middle class wannabes, the roads are small (and BAD), and (government approved) buildings generally have less parking space than should be the case. To worsen the already bad situation, the LASG banned Okadas - a practical means of transportation that ensured that a good number of car owners could leave their cars at home sometimes. What is the result? We all head out in our cars, and what happens when there are more private cars on the roads than legitimate parking spaces? We park along sidewalks or other expedient places we find. These things are complex problems, which means that the solutions cannot be as simple as 'ban this, seize that'. People need to use their brains; that's why we put them in public office!

As long as these failings and deficits are not addressed, it is preposterous to keep comparing Lagos to civilised cities like London, et al - where middle class people easily commute to work daily with public transport, thereby reducing vehicular congestion on the roads. How many of you here would be willing go to work daily in danfo buses?

In the typical mental indolence of the backward Black Man, it is always easier to admire the Oyinbo man's finished product without bothering to learn and implement the processes that led to the creation of that finished product. You don't establish a mega city by dictatorial fiat. It can only become possible one good road at a time, one functional street light at a time, and one efficient rail line at a time, etc. Let's not keep fooling ourselves with this romantic delusion that Lagos is a mega city in the making - even though no attempt is being made to build the foundation for it, brick by brick.

This tendency to put the cart before the horse is hardly a measure of intelligence, but rather a sign of primitive impetuousness and mental laziness.

4 Likes

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by POTUT(m): 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2012
Dear Fashola,

In aspiring to be a mega city, do you consume yourself with the appearance of it, or do you consciously engineer its DNA?

New York City designed the grid system for their sky scrapers way back in the 1920s. That was the DNA bring engineered. As years passed, the city took shape. Here in your chaotic Lagos, what has your government done to design the DNA of the new towns in Ibeju Lekki and Ajah? Private citizens are buying and building and its spreading like wild fire, when I look at it, I see no government presence. Your government has not come to mark out roads and set backs. There is no visible sign of law and order in the manner in which these pseudo estates are springing up. When you drive through most of them, the muddy/sandy/earth roads are irregular in shape because omoniles have sold land arbitrarily. There is no provision for kerb or sidewalk. Where is your government? Ten years from now, LASG will remember that these places need to be sanitized to look like a mega city.

You are not filling the gap in local transportation, yet you are killing with a heavy hand an industry which impacts positively on the health (green house emissions from okada is lower than from keke) and income of families (and GDP of the State), instead of regulating them smartly.
Your rehabilitated Lekki-Epe expressway carries multiple roundabouts instead of overhead bridges. I wonder what the vision was? For a part of the State which will witness the highest density of residents very soon. With this kind of thinking, all the overheads we have in Lagos would have been roundabouts had they been built by Tinubu and Fashola in the 1970s. By 2016, the Jakande and Ajah bus stop roundabouts on that road will be an obnoxious cycle of gridlock. You can bet on this.

Is it the appearance you are obsessed with, or the DNA that will regulate development that you should be concerned with? Just like a tree bears fruit which carries its DNA, that tree will never have to worry how the seed will grow because it already carries its instructions within.

Fashola, please stop chasing appearances, rather engineer mega city development DNAs and every thing will fall into place...it must not be in your short tenure!

3 Likes

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by OXTRA: 7:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
All i know is that, with time, we will all get use to it and we will also learn to do things right. Even in abroad, people dnt buy more than dey can drive, its only here in 9jeria dat u will see one man with 5cars......is that efisi or madness?. At worst a car 4u and one for ur wife. dat one never do u? Fashola i support u carry go eko oni baje oo.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by stpat1(m): 7:57pm On Nov 20, 2012

Did you think at all before commenting? When you were planning to buy a car was it on the road you planned to park it? Is the public road your parking space?

Well he has said it countless times, if you cannot abide by the rules, go find a lawless jungle to live in.
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by ektbear: 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2012
While this is a good development, it is like me hearing, "Man to wipe azz after sh1tting."
Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
POTUT: Dear Fashola,

In aspiring to be a mega city, do you consume yourself with the appearance of it, or do you consciously engineer its DNA?

New York City designed the grid system for their sky scrapers way back in the 1920s. That was the DNA bring engineered. As years passed, the city took shape. Here in your chaotic Lagos, what has your government done to design the DNA of the new towns in Ibeju Lekki and Ajah? Private citizens are buying and building and its spreading like wild fire, when I look at it, I see no government presence. Your government has not come to mark out roads and set backs. There is no visible sign of law and order in the manner in which these pseudo estates are springing up. When you drive through most of them, the muddy/sandy/earth roads are irregular in shape because omoniles have sold land arbitrarily. There is no provision for kerb or sidewalk. Where is your government? Ten years from now, LASG will remember that these places need to be sanitized to look like a mega city.

You are not filling the gap in local transportation, yet you are killing with a heavy hand an industry which impacts positively on the health (green house emissions from okada is lower than from keke) and income of families (and GDP of the State), instead of regulating them smartly.
Your rehabilitated Lekki-Epe expressway carries multiple roundabouts instead of overhead bridges. I wonder what the vision was? For a part of the State which will witness the highest density of residents very soon. With this kind of thinking, all the overheads we have in Lagos would have been roundabouts had they been built by Tinubu and Fashola in the 1970s. By 2016, the Jakande and Ajah bus stop roundabouts on that road will be an obnoxious cycle of gridlock. You can bet on this.

Is it the appearance you are obsessed with, or the DNA that will regulate development that you should be concerned with? Just like a tree bears fruit which carries its DNA, that tree will never have to worry how the seed will grow because it already carries its instructions within.

Fashola, please stop chasing appearances, rather engineer mega city development DNAs and every thing will fall into place...it must not be in your short tenure!

This is the point I was also trying to make. I endorse this message in its entirety.

1 Like

Re: LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2012
pro01: Parking on so-called sidewalks in Lagos is definitely not the ideal situation, but it is an inevitable expedience in light of the government's failure to put in place an efficient and sufficient public transportation system - thereby forcing every middle class wannabe to put his or her tokunbo car on the roads. In Abuja for instance, one can do without compulsorily going out in one's private car because taxis are very cheap and overabundant.

In Lagos, taxis are priced beyond common sense, the danfo buses/Molues/BRTs are smelly and unfit for most middle class wannabes, the roads are small (and BAD), and (government approved) buildings generally have less parking space than should be the case. To worsen the already bad situation, the LASG banned Okadas - a practical means of transportation that ensured that a good number of car owners could leave their cars at home sometimes. What is the result? We all head out in our cars, and what happens when there are more private cars on the roads than legitimate parking spaces? We park along sidewalks or other expedient places we find. These things are complex problems, which means that the solutions cannot be as simple as 'ban this, seize that'. People need to use their brains; that's why we put them in public office!

As long as these failings and deficits are not addressed, it is preposterous to keep comparing Lagos to civilised cities like London, et al - where middle class people easily commute to work daily with public transport, thereby reducing vehicular congestion on the roads. How many of you here would be willing go to work daily in danfo buses?

In the typical mental indolence of the backward Black Man, it is always easier to admire the Oyinbo man's finished product without bothering to learn and implement the processes that led to the creation of that finished product. You don't establish a mega city by dictatorial fiat. It can only become possible one good road at a time, one functional street light at a time, and one efficient rail line at a time, etc. Let's not keep fooling ourselves with this romantic delusion that Lagos is a mega city in the making - even though no attempt is being made to build the foundation for it, brick by brick.

This tendency to put the cart before the horse is hardly a measure of intelligence, but rather a sign of primitive impetuousness and mental laziness.

Oh STFU.

Go get rid of your ''black man, white man'' stu.pid hangups and complex before contributing to discussions here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

”recover Idps Funds Stolen By Your Cabal” PDP Tells President Buhari / Controversy As Anambra Gets Two Speakers / Umuahia North LG Workers Shut Down Council Over 4 Months Unpaid Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.