Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,381 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic (10492 Views)

Aggrieved PDP Reps Member-elect Write President Buhari / BREAKING: Wanted Boko Haram Member Arrested / US Refuses Visa To Unruly House Of Reps Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by jidsoon(m): 11:11am On Nov 23, 2012
The Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) yesterday arrested a member of the House of Representative, Honourble Samson Okwu, for driving against the traffic.

Okwu, who represents Uju/Obi federal constituency of Benue state, said he was compelled to beat the traffic to enable him keep an appointment.

He further defended his action by challenging the officer on duty to watch-out for public officers who have exception while using the road as according to him, the rules should be bent for their sake.

His words: That is why I am telling you that in a government there are people that are allowed to bend some of the laws. There are rules, I explained to the gentleman, but he wanted to use his position to intimidate me but my car is carrying a government number that is why they gave me that number. So if he is using his uniform as a government personnel, I am using my number.”

He further argued that the VIO officials would not dare stop a vehicle with sirens driving against traffic as he did to the lawmaker, describing their action as act of insubordination.

“You know in law there is an exception that is why you see ministers use siren because you have exigencies. I am going to attend a function with the minister of finance this morning.

"I was there for over one hour plus. You do expect me to remain there because I do not have siren. That does not mean that I shouldn’t go but I was there, I do not know the exercise that was going on here keeping cars here, I think it is indiscipline,” Okwu stated.

He challenged the enforcement team to ensure that as they carry out their duty, they should make sure that the traffic flows faster so the people who are going to work would be early to their respective offices.

The mobile court recorded over 28 convictions with various penalty meted out to the drivers while some were warned and asked to go and sin no more.

http://news.naij.com/15219.html

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by truelovecom: 11:37am On Nov 23, 2012
ok

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by diehard1: 12:12pm On Nov 23, 2012
madness
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by ITbomb(m): 12:48pm On Nov 23, 2012
Some are more equal than others

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by gabriel212: 12:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
So our Honourables ar above the law?
What a country!

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by kerrybruice: 12:50pm On Nov 23, 2012
ok na
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Sirmee(m): 12:51pm On Nov 23, 2012
I wish he was arrested by lastma

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by enigmagu1(m): 12:51pm On Nov 23, 2012
gud
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by salolo(m): 12:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
I like that, i want a NIGERIA that pple will obey laws or be arrested and be prosecuted.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by mcevans1(m): 12:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sirmee: I wish he was arrested by lastma

Haha! Those guyz are not smiling @ all.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Yuzarsif(m): 12:53pm On Nov 23, 2012
Better
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by alabig(m): 12:54pm On Nov 23, 2012
diehard1: madness
those that implement the law violate the law... Outwitting occurence.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by salolo(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
salolo: I like that, i want a NIGERIA that pple will obey laws or be arrested and be prosecuted.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by iamswizz(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
How does this make me a virgin?
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by highlandre(m): 12:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
If this arrongant and incorrigible honourable could talk like this, then why are we surprised nothing good is coming out of the National Assembly? The big-man mentality among our politicians makes a mess of protocols and good policies.

If Fashola himself can desist from flouting traffic laws, who the heck is this dishonourable member of National Assembly? Oshi!

6 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Teejayphillip(m): 12:58pm On Nov 23, 2012
Let dose silly pple also go through wat we face... Are dey nt the one's making d LAW...

Now its dia turn,zo it shuld be waved? No way joor

Oga u must pay ur FINE tu... No time Honourable commissioner or wat du u call ursef...

Shey Minister of Finance nah God? E dey rush go meet Okonjo Wahala,stil u meet WAHALA 4 road,bur u no dey rush go CHURCH on a sunday mornin.... Rubbish man

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by maclatunji: 12:58pm On Nov 23, 2012
This report is awful! I write too so I know what I am talking about.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by ijigbamigb(m): 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sirmee: I wish he was arrested by lastma

HIM own don finish be that
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by naja2: 1:01pm On Nov 23, 2012
This is your typical Nigerian lawbreaker sorry "lawmaker" has absolute no regard for the laws of the land. Laws in Nigeria are made for only the poor and the weak. In other saner climes where public officials actually serve the people, have ever wondered how govt officials in the u.k get around without convoys and sirens yet very effective, since the day govt officials ve been having meetings in Nigeria so how come the lot of the people ve not been better by the series of this all important meetings that makes it very ok to break the laws of the land. my take i can bet the "honourable" was rush to a meeting to discuss the sharing of some looted funds or to meet up with a female lover, this is the typical itinery of a Nigerian lawmaker.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by olivertwist: 1:10pm On Nov 23, 2012
If this had happened in Lagos State, we'd have been talking of about 15-20 pages by now. Where are NL HYPOCRITES.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 23, 2012
WHERE? HALF BAKED JOURNALISM
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by GHOSTSNIPER(m): 1:15pm On Nov 23, 2012
ok. Na today? E don teh wey Yash dey fo back. Wat do u expect frm a ringed electns and morova frm a lawbreaker.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Lalaska(m): 1:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
Errand nonsense. Explaining why you broke the law
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Lalaska(m): 1:21pm On Nov 23, 2012
Arrant nonsense. Explaining why you broke the law
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by bomijuwon(m): 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2012
gabriel212: So our Honourables ar above the law?
What a country!

Yes kee. They made the Stupid LAW, so it could Stupidly address them but not prosecute them. BIG THIEVES.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Serendipity: 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2012
naja2: This is your typical Nigerian lawbreaker sorry "lawmaker" has absolute no regard for the laws of the land. Laws in Nigeria are made for only the poor and the weak. In other saner climes where public officials actually serve the people, have ever wondered how govt officials in the u.k get around without convoys and sirens yet very effective, since the day govt officials ve been having meetings in Nigeria so how come the lot of the people ve not been better by the series of this all important meetings that makes it very ok to break the laws of the land. my take i can bet the "honourable" was rush to a meeting to discuss the sharing of some looted funds or to meet up with a female lover, this is the typical itinery of a Nigerian lawmaker.
Spare me the platitude- 'the sane climes.' Let's just be realistic and rationative .They shouldn't have accosted the man. I mean such people should be given concessions especially when the said law affects no one directly. You can't refute factually that the man was rushing for an important meeting. Also, I don't discount as a lie the possibility that he wasn't. Those bootlicking VIOs were just being impish and contumelious. And who said that the law respects no one? That's why the court can grant bail to a person on his recognisance as a celebrity or VIP.
Additionally, you don't sue a government agency without giving them notice, otherwise the court would lack competence to adjudicate over the matter. Isn't that respect?
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 23, 2012
No one bothered to mention where it happened.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Serendipity: 1:32pm On Nov 23, 2012
Lalaska: Arrant nonsense. Explaining why you broke the law
Broke which law, there are doctrines of necessity. The law can be broken when necessary. That's why you can kill a person in self defence without running afoul of the law. In other words, if you can establish before the court that you actually did the killing to defend yourself against grievous bodily harm or death. Mind you, the defence should be commensurate with the attack as you would be indicted when otherwise is the case.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Serendipity: 1:36pm On Nov 23, 2012
highlandre: If this arrongant and incorrigible honourable could talk like this, then why are we surprised nothing good is coming out of the National Assembly? The big-man mentality among our politicians makes a mess of protocols and good policies.

If Fashola himself can desist from flouting traffic laws, who the heck is this dishonourable member of National Assembly? Oshi!

Fashola, a law abiding citizen indeed.
That's just an act of sheer bravado and braggadocio. He is just being highfalutin and plastic.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Serendipity: 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2012
ITbomb: Some are more equal than others
Of course the declaration that all men are equal is chimeric and quixotic.
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by yungmullah: 1:51pm On Nov 23, 2012
Lawmaker that is breaking the law. #naija. God save u say no b Lagos u come do dat shit. I trust Lastma
Re: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic by Lilprocess(m): 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
Lol dats Animal farm for you'
naija I hail thee

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deport Destitute Ibos Back Home To Their Governors / Do You Know The Speaker Of Your State House Of Assembly? / EFCC Has Recovered N500bn, Secured 486 Convictions Under Me – Magu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.