Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). (9118 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / My Experience In The Bank Today / My Experience In Egg Distribution Investment. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by ayobase(m): 4:23pm On Nov 23, 2012
A thread I saw on the from page about a 70yrs old man making N2M anually on Maize Mechanized Farming prompted me to bring this up.

Though, I have been procrastinating to threading on NL my experience with one of the Nasarawa State's Local Governments' Sole Administrators on his farmland during the last Muslim Festival (Ileya)

We left for his farmland around past 7 in the morning. Very far indeed. And there is no way the farm could be mechanized. No motorable road. At a point we parked the bike along the path and hiked the 3KM left. I was almost out of gas. (I didn't go prepared).

Labourers (about 30 of them) were already there making heaps before we arrived, and with their kegs of ''KUNNU and RUWA'' intact. NO BE SMALL JOB MY PEOPLE. If you are not born as a crude farmer, just forget about un-mechanized farming!

As I was told, a heap costs N5. And they are to make 20,000 heaps. Total cost of heaps is N100,000.
20,000 seeds is approximately N100,000. But, he says he won't be buying seeds, since he will be making use of the seeds from the previous harvest.

The farmland is the family's. So, its not hired.
All in all, what he spends cultivating his farmland, and plus management is just about N200,000.

The amount he spends during harvest season is half the amount he spends on cultivating, i.e. N50,000

All in all, for cultivating and harvesting, he spends ONLY N250,000.

Calculating the Gain:
A tuber of yam is averagely sold at the rate of N50 'rurally', while averagely sold at the rate of N150 'urbanly'.

RURALLY, the cost of 20,000 tuber of yams is gonna be N1,000,000.
URBANLY, the cost of 20,000 tuber of yam is gonna be N3,000,000

RURAL GAIN=Selling price-Cost price=N750,000.
URBAN GAIN=Selling price-cost price=N2,750,000.

Depending on the largeness of the land, one can do more or less.

There is COOL and STRESS-FREE money in farming my people. Getting the piece of land at an affordable price is just the issue.

Believe me, making it mechanized (not hired) makes it more rewarding!

Im gonna try uploading related pics from the farmland later!

1 Like

Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by barikay: 7:33pm On Nov 23, 2012
Yea, i serve in nasarawa. Agriculture is good. I hav been considering it. But d thought of settling in d rural is my fear. No water, no electricity
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by ayobase(m): 7:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
barikay: Yea, i serve in nasarawa. Agriculture is good. I hav been considering it. But d thought of settling in d rural is my fear. No water, no electricity

I learnt that the place is boiling now.
Iggan tribe with another tribe at Ajaragu, along Benue road....they have levelled the whole village. Burnt down buildings!
It was on BBC!
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by fm7070: 9:03am On Nov 29, 2012
ayobase: A thread I saw on the from page about a 70yrs old man making N2M anually on Maize Mechanized Farming prompted me to bring this up.

Though, I have been procrastinating to threading on NL my experience with one of the Nasarawa State's Local Governments' Sole Administrators on his farmland during the last Muslim Festival (Ileya)

We left for his farmland around past 7 in the morning. Very far indeed. And there is no way the farm could be mechanized. No motorable road. At a point we parked the bike along the path and hiked the 3KM left. I was almost out of gas. (I didn't go prepared).

Labourers (about 30 of them) were already there making heaps before we arrived, and with their kegs of ''KUNNU and RUWA'' intact. NO BE SMALL JOB MY PEOPLE. If you are not born as a crude farmer, just forget about un-mechanized farming!

As I was told, a heap costs N5. And they are to make 20,000 heaps. Total cost of heaps is N100,000.
20,000 seeds is approximately N100,000. But, he says he won't be buying seeds, since he will be making use of the seeds from the previous harvest.

All in all, what he spends cultivating his farmland, and plus management is just about N200,000.

The amount he spends during harvest season is half the amount he spends on cultivating, i.e. N50,000

Calculating the Gain:
A tuber of yam is averagely sold at the rate of N50 'rurally', while averagely sold at the rate of N150 'urbanly'.

There is COOL and STRESS-FREE money in farming my people. Getting the piece of land at an affordable price is just the issue.

Most times, people paint unrealistic picture about profitability of business.
The poster didn't mention the cost of clearing the land, the cost of hiring the land should also be included (even though it's a family land). What about weeding (you'll manually control the weed twice before harvest) and personal salary. All these will drastically reduce the profit.
Don't deceive people with bogus profit.
Agriculture is good, profitable, but not as profitable and lucrative as people paint it.
Government need to educate and encourage farmers so they can do mechanised farming. Farmers should also try and sell to the market directly so they can make more profit

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by ayobase(m): 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
This is not a matter of painting.
Didnt I talk about management?
You are correct wrt profit from farming, but the crop involved matters.
Read my post very well and assimilate pls....there is no where I painted blue black....transparent enough!
My topic says ''My Experience.........''

1 Like

Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by felixzo1(m): 9:16am On Dec 01, 2012
ayobase: A thread I saw on the from page about a 70yrs old man making N2M anually on Maize Mechanized Farming prompted me to bring this up.

Calculating the Gain:

from a business point of veiw your calculations are not complete, i beleive money was spent on land clearing before cultivation.the cost of transport to farm and other logistics are not included,transport of yams for sale in market , cost of harvesting, cost of weeding(3 times a year)fertilizer purchase and application cost, cost of storage,, remove all this charges , what you get will be your profit. From expirence 20,000 heaps may give you less than 20,000 market size yams or or far above 20,000 .depending on soil type and yam specie. The market size may also vary ranging from a N70 per 1 to N300.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by fm7070: 10:52am On Dec 01, 2012
@Poster,
I quite understand you, but my posting was based on the picture people used to paint on this forum.
Am presently into Agriculture and I know what it entails. The whole truth is that 'Farmers are eating their sweat'
The more mechanised, technological, ideological, exposed and rugged you are as a farmer will determine your profitability.
So many factors are working against farmers.
For Instance, if you plant low yielding crop, you cannot make profit like a farmer who went far and wide to get high yielding crops.
If you sit down in the village for buyers to come and buy your fortune for token, you can never make as much money as someone who made extra marketing effort to get buyer from the city or in the main market.
Adding value to your farm produce can also make a difference.
However, all these cannot be possible if farmer is not financially bouyant at whatever level he's operating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by ayobase(m): 12:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
I gat ur points now.
Thanks for the break-down Sir.

I thought of those also my brother!

They way it works for goose might not be the way it works for gander, and with some factors you mentioned above.

Thanks!
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 06, 2013
@OP, you may see the cup as half full, but some people would always see it as half empty. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by tpia5: 9:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
@ oderemo

i said a prayer for him.

did you do the same.
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by ayobase(m): 5:41am On Mar 08, 2013
Amen!
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by agricentral(m): 6:24pm On Jan 28, 2016
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by Mmkgroup5(f): 6:30pm On Apr 22, 2018
first lease a land 5,000 depend anually it might be a virgin land you will pay workers to weed and cut the trees on the land its cost like 100000k per acre depend on how much the trees are then tractors will work on the land 5500 per acre for the tractors to work on the land.... the rest i will let you know as soon as i get started . i am new into farming i visited some farm few days ago . this are my little experience
Re: My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). by ssolaoye: 1:37pm On Jan 02, 2019
What are the best agricultural and farming business ideas to start in Nigeria in 2019?

The agricultural sector is one of the most flourishing sectors of the Nigerian economy. With proper strategic planning, any individual having basic knowledge of farming and manufacturing operation can start a profitable agriculture business.

You don’t need a huge capital or farmland to get into the agriculture business. If you have a little piece of land in your backyard, you can still plant some crops in small or vertical containers to get the most out of your space.

In this post, we shared a list of most lucrative agricultural and farming business ideas that anyone in Nigeria can start in 2019.

https://invoice.ng/blog/farming-business-ideas-in-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

Tax Paying Scare: 362,000 New Tax Registrations Done In Nigeria / Internation Virtacoin Exchangers To Be Listed / Developing A Business Idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.