Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. (12589 Views)

I Won’t Touch Amaechi’s Rivers Monorail- Wike / How Technical Consultants Advised Amaechi Against Monorail Project After Collect / The Truth About Amaechi Monorail Project With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by chessguru1(m): 6:56pm On Nov 24, 2012
Ak47yang: y cant u people hav faith
I just tire for them oo. Before a project or policy comes out, they would ave already destroyed it with their mind nd mouth.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by chessguru1(m): 6:58pm On Nov 24, 2012
Ak47yang: y cant u people hav faith
I just tire for them oo. Before a project or policy comes out, they would ave already destroyed it with their mind nd mouth.
Do u ave any idea ow much money donald duke made 4 himself while building obudu nd tinapa. Did dat stop d projects from being a wonderful idea nd a national icon for the efik people
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by chessguru1(m): 7:04pm On Nov 24, 2012
u3fine: This project is a misplaced priority. What we neeed now in PH is good roads not this white elephant project to syphone money.
My friend relax jor, what we need in ph nd indeed most parts of d country is an alternative 2 road transport. Do you know ow many people in lag that would gladly park their car if a subway system was present.No matter ow good ur roads are they will keep on going bad, if traffic is not diverted 2 other means of transportation.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by kutchs: 9:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
chess guru:
Do u ave any idea ow much money donald duke made 4 himself while building obudu nd tinapa. Did dat stop d projects from being a wonderful idea nd a national icon for the efik people
Am sure this same bumkums here dismising this project did the same with Obudu Ranch Resort of Duke but go there now o holidays.
Nothing the govt does is good for them yrt thy cant do anything on their own except hide behind some computers to type rubbish.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by dBard: 9:15am On Nov 25, 2012
kutchs:
Am sure this same bumkums here dismising this project did the same with Obudu Ranch Resort of Duke but go there now o holidays.
Nothing the govt does is good for them yrt thy cant do anything on their own except hide behind some computers to type rubbish.

dude, nobody is being unreasonable or negative here. we're Rivers, n dat project doesn't make 2much sense..maybe in pics n on paper but not wen u look at d reality on ground. The distance is short, it is Ridiculously expensive, n it runs from 'town' t UTC junction, wen most ppl leaving town r either headed t Boro park,education,d miles or twards Rumoula, so how has dat solved any/decongested d traffic situation?? UTC,d dis embarkment point has no provision f bus or cab terminal, so u can imagine wat d situation 'll b like even if one is created. lets leave bias n all aside n call a spade a spade. It Is an Unpopular project, no matter hw long or hw much d HE tries t sell it t d populace.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by black9jaberry: 9:42am On Nov 25, 2012
Mono rail- A big joke
The government of the state should b ashamed of themselves
An oil rich state with poor road network and no good road
A state that built schools that student can't use and for the one that are in use pls nairalanders go and check, these students are not allowed to use the facilities like play ground, library......

This Govt na wahooooooooo
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by phantom(m): 10:51am On Nov 25, 2012
dBard:

dude, nobody is being unreasonable or negative here. we're Rivers, n dat project doesn't make 2much sense..maybe in pics n on paper but not wen u look at d reality on ground. The distance is short, it is Ridiculously expensive, n it runs from 'town' t UTC junction, wen most ppl leaving town r either headed t Boro park,education,d miles or twards Rumoula, so how has dat solved any/decongested d traffic situation?? UTC,d dis embarkment point has no provision f bus or cab terminal, so u can imagine wat d situation 'll b like even if one is created. lets leave bias n all aside n call a spade a spade. It Is an Unpopular project, no matter hw long or hw much d HE tries t sell it t d populace.
err....sorry but have you actually read up on this project??
sharks stadium to UTC is actually phase 1A,phase 1B is UTC to waterlines......remember,there is a phase 2 of this project.i live in PH and lets be honest this was an ill advised project from the start because its funds could have been channeled to other things.BUT while this is so,i believe since this project is already started,lets give them the benefit of the doubt.if phase 1 is completed,you can imagine the reduced pressure on aba road at that segment(sharks to waterlines).
And for those comparing a monorail system to a LRT,i think they both serve completely different functions.
the lagos LRT system to badagry makes absolute sense and is on point.The LRT is the best INTERCITY train system which is what lagos is doing.in the same vein it would not make sense to do a monorail from mile 2 to badagry OR a LRT from sharks to waterlines.it just does not make sense!!The monorail IMHO is a good INTRACITY system,but can it be maintaineddo we really need it nowis it a priority when what PH needs badly is roads
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by phantom(m): 11:03am On Nov 25, 2012
COMPAQ: The monorail in not really necessary for port Harcourt. There is a lot more improvement on the roads that could have been done to improve the traffic situation. For me the only city in Nigeria that really really needs a monorail is Lagos. Lagos has the middle class to sustain it and the benefits as per improved mobility in Lagos will far exceed what it will generate in Port Harcourt.
grin grin grin...are you for realmy man if you dont know it,know it now....LAGOS HAS NO BLOODY MIDDLE CLASS.WHAT YOU HAVE THERE IS THE SUPER RICH AND THE SUPER POOR!! grin grin
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by oduz: 1:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
KUDOS cool
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 1:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
phantom: grin grin grin...are you for realmy man if you dont know it,know it now....LAGOS HAS NO BLOODY MIDDLE CLASS.WHAT YOU HAVE THERE IS THE SUPER RICH AND THE SUPER POOR!! grin grin

A rail system is mass transit but must be constructed a matter of strategy. Over 5million people move from the mainland to the island every single day. Now what the LASG has done is to identify where the largest volume of traffic flows from and has built a rail line that will service them. When the two lines are completed, they will take close to half of the 5million people off the roads. It is highly sustainable and makes sense. That is what the RVSG has failed to incorporate in the execution of this rail
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by phantom(m): 2:30pm On Nov 25, 2012
geez*:

A rail system is mass transit but must be constructed a matter of strategy. Over 5million people move from the mainland to the island every single day. Now what the LASG has done is to identify where the largest volume of traffic flows from and has built a rail line that will service them. When the two lines are completed, they will take close to half of the 5million people off the roads. It is highly sustainable and makes sense. That is what the RVSG has failed to incorporate in the execution of this rail
my brother i disagree with you.are you saying that this monorail if completed will not ease the pressure on the existing roadsare you saying that in the same vein,IF MAINTAINED,will not generate funds for the interested parties in the long run
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by dBard: 6:14pm On Nov 25, 2012
phantom:
my brother i disagree with you.are you saying that this monorail if completed will not ease the pressure on the existing roadsare you saying that in the same vein,IF MAINTAINED,will not generate funds for the interested parties in the long run

*geez is right. A lot of factors were not put into consideration. I just passed by there sum 2 hours ago n d celebrated beams r just that..beams across 2 t 3 pillars. it Is still far from being even a quarter completed. I doubt, if completed, it will generate any appreciable fund f d parties involved,not wit d huge costs its production it's incuring.
As per ur oda post, d Mono rail system is mostly used as an Inter City rail system cos of its speed n d fact dat it can only make limited no of stops. Intra city wise, It Is Not a good nor wise option..its expensive n maintenance costs r high. I dey siddon look sha
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
chess guru:

Thank you. I read somewhere that thoughts create reality. Many projects fail to achieve their desired outcome in Nigeria I believe, because many Nigerians kill such projects with the negative thoughts they direct at them.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by GAR3TH(m): 12:44am On Nov 26, 2012
As much as I like Amaechi and the work he does, I and many others who are into Urban development can tell you that a Monorail is the worst form of public transit a city can have. Not only is it extremely expensive, but the amount of passengers it carries is very small and limited. And because of that the cost to ride a monorail system is more expensive, meaning many people may not be able to afford it.

Just to clarify the Chart below, A MRT [Mass rapid Transit] are modes of transportation like Subways, above ground rail, commuter rail, etc. What Lagos is building, EKO RAIL, is a MRT system and not a light rail. As you can see there are options, such as a light rail [LRT] and a mass Rapid Transit [MRT], that Port harcourt could have gone with that is cheaper and can move more passengers to their destination. This Monorail is very questionable and I'm very skeptical about its future.

In reality if he wanted they could have gone with an elevated Light Rail [LRT] which will still be cheaper or about the same cost as a monorail but carry alot more passengers.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Horus(m): 12:37am On Jan 05, 2013

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Obiagu1(m): 6:24am On Jan 05, 2013
GAR3TH: As much as I like Amaechi and the work he does, I and many others who are into Urban development can tell you that a Monorail is the worst form of public transit a city can have. Not only is it extremely expensive, but the amount of passengers it carries is very small and limited. And because of that the cost to ride a monorail system is more expensive, meaning many people may not be able to afford it.

Just to clarify the Chart below, A MRT [Mass rapid Transit] are modes of transportation like Subways, above ground rail, commuter rail, etc. What Lagos is building, EKO RAIL, is a MRT system and not a light rail. As you can see there are options, such as a light rail [LRT] and a mass Rapid Transit [MRT], that Port harcourt could have gone with that is cheaper and can move more passengers to their destination. This Monorail is very questionable and I'm very skeptical about its future.

In reality if he wanted they could have gone with an elevated Light Rail [LRT] which will still be cheaper or about the same cost as a monorail but carry alot more passengers.

Monorail is not the worst form of public transit sad.

The choice is determined by the nature of development in an area. In a heavily built-up city with no available lands for ground based rail transit, elevated ones are the only options. Cost is relative and depends on availability of land too. It might cost more to acquire lands for ground based transit, it all depends on so many factors.

On the choice of MRT/LRT/MR, it depends on so many factors as well. Lagos is suited for MRT as MRT is meant for long fast transit along vast area without much meandering in the city and has fewer stops whereas LRT/MR is suited for transit that involves meandering within the city proper and has several close stations or stops. The capacity of LRT and Monorail depends on the number of cars connected together. A LRT with 2 cars will carry less people than a Monorail with 3 cars.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by fatherab1: 6:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
[size=15pt]SOME OF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE UK PRIME MINISTER STANDING IN A TRAIN.
[/size]

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by VolvoS60(m): 8:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
So Rossike what's the update? Will the first segment of the project meet its scheduled completion date of 2013? we have just 6 months to 2014.

Or the negative energy of wicked, bad, thoroughly evil Nigerians has killed the project already?
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Samxiulee: 9:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
Frank-C:
We can hear you guys!! When it is done by Fashola or any other SW governor, it is a great project being executed by a visionary who has promised to deliver it on schedule. When it is done by any other governor elsewhere or FG, it is a white elephant project and will never be delivered, even when the project life cycle has not expired. The conspiracy seem to be that ' we are the only guys that can do it right...' Some of us are watching with rapt attention.
dude all the guys you are referring to are not fashola apologists,I don't see reason why you av to drag SW into this,when we see good things we appreciate,this is a good thing,btw most of the critics are people from the state if am not mistaking.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by otokx(m): 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
Hoping for the best
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by ola40: 7:22am On Dec 19, 2013
the funny thing is , this project is build by intamin from switzerland ...which is usually only produce monorail in amusement center along with roller coaster etc grin ..., this monorail is a joke i think..., look at the rail ...use an iron platform...real monorail use a concrete platform instead of iron , when i look at this monorail is just like a toy lith very little space room

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/transportation/Home/news/PortHarcourt/tabid/164/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intamin

here i show you , monorail made in china & made in indonesia with a spacious room ( not a toy ) with the one made by intamin ( with models )....the monorail for riverstata looks very small with un ussual design for monorail

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Buttocks: 8:36am On Dec 25, 2014
Hahahahaha!

White Elephant.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 25, 2014
Amaechi is a joke

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills 1,100 Since Being ‘technically Defeated / Osinbajo To Egypt: Join Us In Calling The World Against Boko Haram / Lagos Police Warn Rumour Mongers About Creating Panic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.