Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise (6473 Views)

How Much Is A Camry Pencil / 1999 Toyota Camry, Pls Help!!! / ATF For 94 Toyota Camry,pls Which Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by hakunamatata1: 5:15am On Nov 24, 2012
I've been saving up for a camry envelope(2000) model but my client suddenly made me an offer for his peaugot 406 he bought as a Toks & used barely for little over a year looking still clean. he says the probs with the car is only its Gasket that needs to be changed.
I used to think that peaugot brands are rugged cars but pls i wld like to know:
1. are peaugot cars truly rugged?
2. do they offer low maintenance in use?
3. are their parts easy to get & cheap?
4. etc. etc.
pls can the car gurus do a good comparative analysis of the peaugot vis-a-vis a toyota camry?
i'm eyeing the peaugot cos i think its an upgrade to my prefered camry @ the same cost.
& i chose a camry as the base of comparison because i hav an idea of its qualities from a close friend user. i currently use a nissan primera '97 model.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by kennethik: 5:52am On Nov 24, 2012
My Brother there is point speaking much grammar to Compare the two brands of cars, to save yourself electrical problems and brake wahala please please go for Toyota product abeg.Zelig Autos Nig Ltd 08038156694.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by hakunamatata1: 7:19am On Nov 24, 2012
^thanx guy. but u still leave me confused 'tho.

siena, ikenna & co pls help b4 i throway money o!
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by bigx(m): 8:33am On Nov 24, 2012
Like you said, a Peugeot is much more prestigious than a camry. What kills the brand here is the absence of competent technicians and poor maintenance culture.
A peugeot performs better than the camry when driving, the fuel economy is almost the same with newer models, its a lot less rampant and to me, problems come with all car models, they are man-made.
I use a peugeot, my brother-in-law uses a Camry tiny light. He spends half of every month at the mechanic, I just service my car and do preventive maintenance and its been serving me.

I'd advice you take a competent and trusted mechanic though to check the gasket issues and give the car a good look, you don't want to change your engine anytime soon,

5 Likes

Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by hakunamatata1: 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
thanx bigx. i wld see to that. i dont want him to think i doubt his integrity after he's told me its only d gasket. wld hav luvd to make up my mind on getting interested or not b4 we start bargaining. thats the purpose for this thread. thanx so much.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
Personally, I'm not a fan of either brand. But if I had to make a choice, I'd pick the facelift Toyota Camry over a Peugeot 406, especially one that's got "gasket" issues. A blown headgasket could also mean a warped / cracked cylinder head, and a cracked block. No way to find out till it's all stripped down. And if you decide to call it a day at this stage, you'll still be stuck with labour charges.

Modern Peugeot are no more robust than the average modern Korean car. The last of the true bullet-proof Peugeot were the RWD 504, 505 and 604. The current crop of FWD cars are just a pale reminder of what strengths Peugeot possessed up to the mid-'80's.

Don't feel the seller may see you as doubting his integrity, if you're not sure there are other issues bar the head gasket. This is your money, and your sanity at stake here. Nigerians have sold out their friends and family for less, so big deal. I wouldn't touch that car, and I would definitely go for the Toyota Camry. Good luck, whatever you decide.

3 Likes

Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by yanmata(m): 3:02pm On Nov 24, 2012
@seina....what car then would u recommend for him, since both cars are not your choice...?

1 Like

Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
yanmata: @seina....what car then would u recommend for him, since both cars are not your choice...?

Not MY choice, but as long as he's happy with the brands, my choices beyond the two brands mentioned aren't really relevant. Hence I chose the Toyota Camry.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by hakunamatata1: 5:49pm On Nov 24, 2012
Siena:

Not MY choice, but as long as he's happy with the brands, my choices beyond the two brands mentioned aren't really relevant. Hence I chose the Toyota Camry.
@ siena, thanx sir. really appreciate ur contributn. u just helped me make up my mind. wld take the advice.

on the other hand, what wld be ur suggestn for a low budget car less than N750K?

1 Like

Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by phinter: 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2012
Mehn we if you're buying the peugot then be ready to maintain it and spend some money if necessary. we don't have very many mechanics that can repair these cars well enough. My brother bought a 307 and after spending money on the trial and error mechanics, we took it to AC okocha motors where the issue was resolved with some good money spent. But I believe the camry is easier to fix for our toyota, honda Nigerian mechanics.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by agboolamotors(m): 11:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
GET A 406 ITS BETTER AND GOOD PEGOUT DAT GIVE ELECTRIC PROBLEMS ARE 607

Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
agboolamotors: GET A 406 ITS BETTER AND GOOD PEGOUT DAT GIVE ELECTRIC PROBLEMS ARE 607

I don't think you read the opening post properly, bro. The choices the OP has are a '99-'01 Toyota Camry XV20 (facelift) or a Peugeot 406 with an iffy engine. The Peugeot, in my opinion is a no-brainer, when the first thing it's gonna need is a whole bunch of dough thrown at it, with no guarantees of success.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by hakunamatata1: 2:01pm On Nov 28, 2012
^ thanx. ive already shut my mind on the matter. wld hav my humble camry pie jeje!
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
In a nutshell, you mean Toyota Camry is better than 406 Peugeot in terms of mentainance and fuel consumption right?
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by Nobody: 6:20am On Dec 30, 2015
Stay simple and save ursef from problems. Get d Camry and leave the 406 alone. I hate both brands anyway.
Re: Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise by Nobody: 4:50am On Dec 31, 2015
tpacalipse:
Stay simple and save ursef from problems. Get d Camry and leave the 406 alone. I hate both brands anyway.
Thanks for your advice man.

(1) (Reply)

Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord / Nissan Primera P11-144 Not Starting / Innoson Massive Production Of IVM-IKENGA-2019 At Anambra Base- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.