Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,493 members, 7,812,527 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:47 PM

Why Do Religious People Fight Science? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Religious People Fight Science? (4467 Views)

People Fight Back Against Blasphemy Law! (indonesia Atheist Update) / Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? / Why Do Religious People Pray ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 24, 2012
Hey science has giving you the comfortable life you have today. Why do religious people talk cheap about most scientific theories that proves that most of life's so called "wonders" are logically explainable and not the work of their "God" ? they go bitter when you tell them that "wonder A" is explainable and its available for everyone to read. No they wont agree instead they start hating on science ? Really?
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by k2039: 7:02am On Nov 24, 2012
For thesame reason science fight religion
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by advocate666: 7:04am On Nov 24, 2012
k2039: For thesame reason science fight religion

only in your head does science fight religion.

Science doesn't care about religion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 24, 2012
Superstitions (myth and some religious beliefs) thrive in ignorance... Today no one claims to do miracles for malaria or polio. Tomorrow, if cures for cancer and aids are found, those "miracles" will stop too..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by pastormustwacc: 8:06am On Nov 24, 2012
This shows just how ehm you perceive things.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by k2039: 8:17am On Nov 24, 2012
pastormustwacc:
This shows just how ehm you perceive things.
Obviously,I dint read the thread,I just responded to the heading.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 24, 2012

Science doesn't fight religion. Religion on the other hand fights science because it explains most of the "lies" it forces people to believe.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by italo: 9:39am On Nov 24, 2012
soccerinfo9ja: Hey science has giving you the comfortable life you have today.

OUR USE OF science has brought us comfort AND DANGERS.

soccerinfo9ja: Why do religious people talk cheap about most scientific theories that proves that most of life's so called "wonders" are logically explainable and not the work of their "God" ? they go bitter when you tell them that "wonder A" is explainable and its available for everyone to read.

Give examples.

soccerinfo9ja: No they wont agree instead they start hating on science ? Really?

Not every religious person hates on science. Some of us embrace and promote science vigorously. But we know that everything including science is the work of God.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by thehomer: 9:40am On Nov 24, 2012
soccerinfo9ja: Hey science has giving you the comfortable life you have today. Why do religious people talk cheap about most scientific theories that proves that most of life's so called "wonders" are logically explainable and not the work of their "God" ? they go bitter when you tell them that "wonder A" is explainable and its available for everyone to read. No they wont agree instead they start hating on science ? Really?

Sometimes fear, other times ignorance and obstinacy.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 24, 2012
Give examples.

Some people i know still think that "dream" is a wonder and god is trying to pass you a message? When science explains it clearly?
And why do religeous people relate every of life's random phenomenon to a deity?
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Agiliti(m): 10:05am On Nov 24, 2012
soccerinfo9ja: Hey science has giving you the comfortable life you have today. Why do religious people talk cheap about most scientific theories that proves that most of life's so called "wonders" are logically explainable and not the work of their "God" ? they go bitter when you tell them that "wonder A" is explainable and its available for everyone to read. No they wont agree instead they start hating on science ? Really?

I'm pretty sure most of those pastors enjoying private jets would have called it evil back in the days.
but the biggest irony is that Islam gave us alchemy, algebra, geometry, makeup, toothpaste, even the number zero that everyone takes for granted, yet you have people like boko haram who claim "western" education (most of which came from the golden age of islam) is a sin
ignorance is not bliss

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 24, 2012
*sighs*
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by advocate666: 11:19am On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

I'm pretty sure most of those pastors enjoying private jets would have called it evil back in the days.
but the biggest irony is that Islam gave us alchemy, algebra, geometry, makeup, toothpaste, even the number zero that everyone takes for granted, yet you have people like boko haram who claim "western" education (most of which came from the golden age of islam) is a sin
ignorance is not bliss

Stop this nonsense. Islam didn't give us shyte except more hatred and intolerance. Many nations and tribes practiced their own method of all the examples you mentionned, long before mohamed and his 6 year old bride were born.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Agiliti(m): 12:28pm On Nov 24, 2012
advocate666:

Stop this nonsense. Islam didn't give us shyte except more hatred and intolerance. Many nations and tribes practiced their own method of all the examples you mentionned, long before mohamed and his 6 year old bride were born.

alchemy, alkali, algebra, alogrithm, and pretty much anything with "al" as it's prefix is arabic by origin. they might not have been the first to practice it, but they perfected it and spread it out, and that directly evolved into what we have here today. even the stars in the sky were catalogued by the arabs, and they still bear the names today
i'm not muslim so i have nothing to gain by this, but it's a known fact baghdad was a centre of learning and inventions for centuries.

next time you want to say im talking nonsense, come with facts

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by DandeNumeruno(m): 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

alchemy, alkali, algebra, alogrithm, and pretty much anything with "al" as it's prefix is arabic by origin. they might not have been the first to practice it, but they perfected it and spread it out, and that directly evolved into what we have here today. even the stars in the sky were catalogued by the arabs, and they still bear the names today
i'm not muslim so i have nothing to gain by this, but it's a known fact baghdad was a centre of learning and inventions for centuries.

Shut your pie hole you Fukkin Jihadist.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Frostyzone(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2012
Mainly because science fights the credibility of religion.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by advocate666: 12:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

And how does arab = muslim?
You are reducing a people to a religion practiced in their group. It's like saying Christianity created Nigeria because lord Luggard and his masters were christians.
Like I said, Islam gave us only hatred and intolerance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Agiliti(m): 1:21pm On Nov 24, 2012
advocate666:

And how does arab = muslim?
You are reducing a people to a religion practiced in their group. It's like saying Christianity created Nigeria because lord Luggard and his masters were christians.
Like I said, Islam gave us only hatred and intolerance.

now who sounds more ignorant? me interchanging arab with muslim , or you equating arabs to hatred. You are reducing 20% of the human population by saying they believe in only hate and intolerance

and yes, you can perfectly say christianity created "Nigeria" because if not for lord luggard and his missionaries who used religion to penetrate the land, the people might have not been that easily susceptible to colonialism...being a 666 advocate, you should already know that
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Agiliti(m): 1:49pm On Nov 24, 2012
Dan_de_Numeruno:
Shut your pie hole you Fukkin Jihadist.
otu nne gi gbakwaa oku dia
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Kay17: 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

ignorance is not bliss

That's a credit to humanity. Cos all peoples are capable of acquiring knowledge. Not islam.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by advocate666: 2:38pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

now who sounds more ignorant? me interchanging arab with muslim , or you equating arabs to hatred. You are reducing 20% of the human population by saying they believe in only hate and intolerance

and yes, you can perfectly say christianity created "Nigeria" because if not for lord luggard and his missionaries who used religion to penetrate the land, the people might have not been that easily susceptible to colonialism...being a 666 advocate, you should already know that

WTF is wrong with you?
When did I equate arab to hatred?
Get this inside your skull: arab is NOT islam.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by tpia1: 3:16pm On Nov 24, 2012
That statement is ignorant.

Arab is indeed Islam.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by tpia1: 3:17pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

ignorance is not bliss

Much ignorance in nigeria.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by wiegraf: 3:43pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:

You present your case as if islam was primarily responsible for that. Has it occurred to you that that success, which is not as special as you present it, may have been in spite of islam rather than because of it? You see many islamic nobel prize in the sciences winners where? I can only think of one palestinian. Have they contributed anything of worth in hundreds of years? Modern western science has given them more than the al's have, yet they choose to ignore that as well. That would be a better example.

Quite a few of those scholars were only interested in making the koran look good as well. Usually, that is all they are ever interested in actually. They didn't turn their backs on science, it was never important to them. They use science to justify the dogma. Once science violates their principles, it becomes haram, at the least until they can find a way wiggle it in, claim it was predicted etc

http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_60/iss_8/49_1.shtml?bypassSSO=1
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by plaetton: 4:05pm On Nov 24, 2012
advocate666:

Islamic civilisations did indeed excel in all above. That is historical fact. Islam helped usher in civilisation to Europe.That is also historical fact.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by mumumugu(m): 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
Science and religon are not fighting.they are just findin answer to life question in difrent methods

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by plaetton: 4:09pm On Nov 24, 2012
^^^
Ofcourse, the golden era of Islam has long passed. Islam has now become a religion of paranoi , closed-mindedness, fear and hatred, just like the western christianity that it sought to shield itself from.
What an irony.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by plaetton: 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2012
wiegraf:

You present your case as if islam was primarily responsible for that. Has it occurred to you that that success, which is not as special as you present it, may have been in spite of islam rather than because of it? You see many islamic nobel prize in the sciences winners where? I can only think of one palestinian. Have they contributed anything of worth in hundreds of years? Modern western science has given them more than the al's have, yet they choose to ignore that as well. That would be a better example.

Quite a few of those scholars were only interested in making the koran look good as well. Usually, that is all they are ever interested in actually. They didn't turn their backs on science, it was never important to them. They use science to justify the dogma. Once science violates their principles, it becomes haram, at the least until they can find a way wiggle it in, claim it was predicted etc

http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_60/iss_8/49_1.shtml?bypassSSO=1

The Crusades changed Islam for the worse.
After the crusades Islam began to redefine itself solely on the basis of the paranoi, distrust, fear and hatred for western civilisation. It began to build barricades around itself to shield it from western corruption, treachery and influence. It gradually became a religion of anger, always under the constant threat of having its values diluted or completely eroded.
As we see very often in history, whenever a group isolate themselves from new influences, ideas and trends, they tend to stagnate and regress over time.

I think that has been the tragedy of the Islamic civilisations.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
[size=16pt]WE PAGANS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN WITH SCIENCE! WE WERE THE ONES WHO STARTED AND ENCOURAGED SCIENTIFIC STUDIES! IT IS ONLY ABRAHAMIC RELIGIONS THAT ARE AGAINST SCIENCE! LETS FACE IT![/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/752852/how-xtians-killed-science-example

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Kay17: 5:59pm On Nov 24, 2012
Science and its disregard for authority and morality threatens both secularists and the religious
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by DandeNumeruno(m): 6:37pm On Nov 24, 2012
Agiliti:
otu nne gi gbakwaa oku dia
Mma gi enwekwanu otu. O bu ife ndi bekee na akpo Transexual.
Re: Why Do Religious People Fight Science? by Agiliti(m): 6:49pm On Nov 24, 2012
advocate666:

WTF is wrong with you?
When did I equate arab to hatred?
Get this inside your skull: arab is NOT islam.
all of the 22 members of the arab league (except for lebanon) have islam as either official, sole, or predominant religion and about 90% of all arabs are muslim so you saying arab is not islam is like saying jewish is not judaism.

next time you want to say something, come with facts and not just emotional rants

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

done / Revival Of My Church - A New Divine Revelation From Bro. Emmanuel Senayon / The Five Inevitable Stages In Relationships,courtship And Marriage....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.