Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? (2574 Views)

Shocking Discovery About NIV Bible. (a Must-read For True Believers) / Article Of Faith: The Bible: A Book Of Wheat And Weeds, By Femi Aribisala / Jesus Christ Life: A Fiction Or Fairy Tale? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Optimisticgondy(m): 8:03am On Nov 25, 2012
I was born and raised in a Christian family but some years ago, my thinking about religion changed. I got to know there are many religions in the world with each group claiming its God's superiority over others. I didn't want to be bothered by confusion created by religion and I therefore decided to be spiritual but not religious. I believe there is an unseen Supreme Force who I call God and pray in His name always without mentioning the name of Jesus. When my fiance asked me to let's pray yester-night, I told her to lead the prayer in the name of God and not Jesus because I'm not sure if Bible stories are fictions or not. On hearing this, she became upset because I didn't have evidence to prove if Bible stories are fictions or not and so, she prayed alone and slept.
Are Bible's stories fictions or not? What evidences do you have to back up your answer? Please I need reply. Thanks
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Delafruita(m): 9:39am On Nov 25, 2012
Optimisticgondy: I was born and raised in a Christian family but some years ago, my thinking about religion changed. I got to know there are many religions in the world with each group claiming its God's superiority over others. I didn't want to be bothered by confusion created by religion and I therefore decided to be spiritual but not religious. I believe there is an unseen Supreme Force who I call God and pray in His name always without mentioning the name of Jesus. When my fiance asked me to let's pray yester-night, I told her to lead the prayer in the name of God and not Jesus because I'm not sure if Bible stories are fictions or not. On hearing this, she became upset because I didn't have evidence to prove if Bible stories are fictions or not and so, she prayed alone and slept.
Are Bible's stories fictions or not? What evidences do you have to back up your answer? Please I need reply. Thanks
both the old and new testament are fiction

1 Like

Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by mazaje(m): 9:45am On Nov 25, 2012
The bible, koran, bagdavits and all religious books are mostly fictitious. . .They do contain some true stories which are mostly embellished. . .majority of the stories contain in them never happened and are fictitious. . .Thwe fact is majority of the writers of the bible are unknwon. . .No body knows who they are forget about the authourship assigned to the books by authority, the real authors are unknown. . .
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Optimisticgondy(m): 12:24pm On Nov 25, 2012
mazaje: The bible, koran, bagdavits and all religious books are mostly fictitious. . .They do contain some true stories which are mostly embellished. . .majority of the stories contain in them never happened and are fictitious. . .Thwe fact is majority of the writers of the bible are unknwon. . .No body knows who they are forget about the authourship assigned to the books by authority, the real authors are unknown. . .
Delafruita: both the old and new testament are fiction
Thanks. Is the name 'Jesus' fictitious?
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by PastorAIO: 12:31pm On Nov 25, 2012
Optimisticgondy: Thanks. Is the name 'Jesus' fictitious?

Can a name be a fiction? I thought only stories were fictions.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
The bible is fictitious starting from Adam.

Adam a man with Hebrew name is the first man in the bible.

1) There are older languages than hebrew

2) Civilization did not start in the middle east but in Africa
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by advocate666: 1:22pm On Nov 25, 2012
If you see a religion that explains dinosaurs and fossils to you, please follow that religion.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by mazaje(m): 1:28pm On Nov 25, 2012

Actually there was never a man named Jesus that ever lived in Israel. . .The REAL name of the character in the bible is Yeshua not Jesus. . .Jesus is a Hellenized version of the name. . That was not his real name. . .His name was Yeshua. . .
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 25, 2012
Logicboy03: The bible is fictitious starting from Adam.

Adam a man with Hebrew name is the first man in the bible.

1) There are older languages than hebrew

2) Civilization did not start in the middle east but in Africa

https://www.nairaland.com/1113418/nigerian-muslims-really-believe-descendants
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by truthislight: 2:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
See the way evangelical atheist are falling over a new potential convert. Lol

@ op
the majority of the posters so far are atheist that wish to live their life the way they like without giving a dam about a God that said he will judge them for following their heart desires.

As you continue to ask questions and read and search the bible you will come to learn alot more for yourself.

It is not all you read and hear people say that you should believe.

A blind man cannot lead a blind man safely.

Use your head and think, all that glitters is not Gold.
Peace
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 25, 2012
COMES ACROSS AS FICTION IF YOU ARE NOT SKILLED IN DECIPHERING ALLEGORICAL, SYMBOLIC, PARABOLIC AND BIBLICAL MEANING OF WORDS
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 25, 2012
truthislight: See the way evangelical atheist are falling over a new potential convert. Lol

You should change your name to "liesInDarkness"

Atheism is the disbleief in god.

The point here was about the bible not God.

None of the above atheist comments mentioned god or even made links to atheists website or referenced atheists books by atheist authors.

You are a docuhe
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by CrazyMan(m): 3:23pm On Nov 25, 2012
Bible stories aren't fiction...the disciples wrote the new testament with the help of Jesus and God, while the prophets wrote the old testament.

I'll admit there are so many questions that go unanswered in the bible...but that's where faith comes in.. just because you don't see something doesn't mean its not there...

Faith is believing without seeing... If you want proof as to whether the bible is a fiction or not, then I need no further proof, cos you're my proof...you know so much about the bible already because you must have either read it or listened to someone speak of it.

If you didn't care or didn't want to believe in it, you wouldn't keep broadcasting about how true or untrue it is, cos you would already have an answer to that.

Also, life itself is proof that there is a God, and that the bible is also true.

Have you ever asked yourself what keeps your heart beating, your lungs breathing and everything else that keeps you alive?

God created life! God has proven himself time and time again, you just have to believe in him...he's a merciful God and is ready to accept you, should you turn back to him.

We as Christians don't need to prove anything because it's only our job to witness and pray for folks like you. No need to argue over your disbelief.

Just sit and think about how everything around you was created. From the trees to the sea, the birds of the air, the beast of the field...they didn't just appear...they were created by someone, and that someone is God.

Just Believe and stop listening to the misguided posts of several atheist on this forum.

See the passage below...

[b]  Hebrews 11:1-40. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. 3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. 15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. 16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: 19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come. 21 By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.

22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.

23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment. 24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; 25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; 26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible. 28 Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days. 31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.

32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: 33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: 36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; 38 (Of whom the world was not worthysmiley they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: 40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Delafruita(m): 3:36pm On Nov 25, 2012
no.the name is real.its a modification of "joshua" which means saviour.its estimated that during the times of herod and the periods after that,12% of all males bore the name yeshwa or various modifications of it.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by CrazyMan(m): 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2012
Philippians 2:5-11.  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

His name cannot be a fiction.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by advocate666: 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2012
Op, why do you think you must worship a god?
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by rhymz(m): 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2012
@ OP
You are not the only one that has struggled to come to terms with the very many questionable accounts, claims, stories and inconsistencies rife in the bible.
Jesus for instance can't be proved to have lived or actually existed. All the stories of his existence have been traced to a single source, the early Church and its christian proponents.
Contrary to what people think, the bible is a compilation of different books from mostly unknown authors of different religious belief systems that are not neccesarily christians. Pauline books for instance has gnosticism written all over it to the point it conflicts with the inconsistent gospel tales of Mathew, Mark, Luke And John, three of which their authors are not traceable to anyone known to have existed. You don't believe that Mathew, a mere tax collector with little Education wrote the book of matthew, do you? Same goes for john and mark.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by rhymz(m): 3:58pm On Nov 25, 2012
Delafruita: no.the name is real.its a modification of "joshua" which means saviour.its estimated that during the times of herod and the periods after that,12% of all males bore the name yeshwa or various modifications of it.
I think he meant to ask if the biblical Jesus, Son of Mary is fictitious.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2012
2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2 Timothy 3:17
That the man of God may be perfect , thoroughly furnished unto all good works. wink
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
with all these findings by people round the word,myths which have been turned to facts by archeologists, ancient artifacts discovered, untold revelations experienced, even if the unexplained and unlogical way behind the true basis of how you breathe and wake up everyday, how can one say the bible and Jesus is fictitious? undecided
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 25, 2012
joeydozzy: with all these findings by people round the word,myths which have been turned to facts by archeologists, ancient artifacts discovered, untold revelations experienced, even if the unexplained and unlogical way behind the true basis of how you breathe and wake up everyday, how can one say the bible and Jesus is fictitious? undecided

What findings? There is no evidence for Noahs worldwide flood. Adam and Eve is a myth
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 25, 2012
Historians say that the bible is mostly not factual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDJbi5gfC0&feature=related
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by rhymz(m): 7:41pm On Nov 25, 2012
joeydozzy: with all these findings by people round the word,myths which have been turned to facts by archeologists, ancient artifacts discovered, untold revelations experienced, even if the unexplained and unlogical way behind the true basis of how you breathe and wake up everyday, how can one say the bible and Jesus is fictitious? undecided
hahahahah. . . In fact, those are the basis of the conclusions that Jesus Christ did not exist and the stories about him are fictitious and mythological nothing real. The artifact, the historical findings and independent accounts from non-biblical sources have shown that the bible is a book filled with embelishment and fictitious exaggerations of mythological characters.
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Heatblast(m): 2:40am On Nov 26, 2012
I sense sarcasm
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Delafruita(m): 9:37am On Nov 26, 2012
rhymz: I think he meant to ask if the biblical Jesus, Son of Mary is fictitious.
definitely fictitious
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by cyrexx: 10:55am On Nov 26, 2012
Delafruita: definitely fictitious

permit me to disagree.

there cannot be a smoke without a fire. Yeshua must have a existed as a charismatic Jewish teacher who was executed by Romans for his blasphemy against mainstream Judaism religion. his followers just cant get over his death and some have hallucinations that he ressurected (remember, some years ago when some people believed that Tupac Shakur is still alive, it is something similar to that).

Eventually when Roman empire adopted christianity as their religion to control the masses, his name was to romanticised to Jesus Christ and his deeds were embelished to sound similar to one of their Roman Gods.

just my opinion based on some historical facts, though, but i'm open to new ideas and proofs of the authenticity of his "non-fictitiousness" or "fictitiousness"

Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Niflheim(m): 11:03am On Nov 26, 2012
@OP,the bible is at least 70-80% fiction,if not 90.The answers to all your questions can only be gotten from those who are wiling to tell you THE TRUTH,and believe you me my brother,the only people on Nairaland that can tell you the truth are THE ATHEISTS.First and foremost,I would like to state for the records that I myself am not even an atheist,neither am I a christian or a muslim,but after so many years of reading posts on Nairaland,plus reading the bible,books,magazines and living on 3 different continents,I have discovered that honesty,intelligence and non partizan politics belongs to the Atheists.A Christian on the other hand will do everything to win an argument even if it means twisting the meaning of bible verses.They are always trying to market their pastor or defend his crimes or justify the ridiculous doctrines of their church!!!
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Niflheim(m): 11:08am On Nov 26, 2012
@OP,I have seen christians here on Nairaland laughing at a guy called PAGAN 9JA,because he told them that christianity was simply an advanced form of jewish paganism which inculcated other pagan doctrines from other areas to appeal to foreigners.The christians laughed and laughed and laughed,until a few days ago when the pope himself confirmed this,and now the christians are silent!!!
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Niflheim(m): 11:16am On Nov 26, 2012
@OP' remember the bible verse that says we should consider the ant and learn from it's ways?It says that the ant has no ruler,and yet everyone knows that all ants live in a colony ruled by a Queen Ant,.............................so who was the illiterate that wrote that bible verse?can an all knowing god not know that ant colonies are ruled by a QUEEN ANT?...............................................THIS IS BECAUSE THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY ILLITERATE JEWISH GOAT HERDERS,NOT BY GOD!!!
Re: Is The Holy Bible A Fiction? by Niflheim(m): 11:19am On Nov 26, 2012
@OP, Ezekiel predicts that the ancient city of Tyre will be utterly destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar and "made a bare rock" that will "never be rebuilt" (Ezekiel 26:1, 26:7-14, 26:32)............................................Now check out what Google earth shows us about the city of Tyre.........................

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? / Photo: Is Gay Practice Sin? Is It Inborn Or Adopted Lifestyle? / Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.