Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,172 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible (1898 Views)

Man Already Had The Knowledge Of Good & Evil Even Before He Ate The Fruit / The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil / Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by therationa(m): 12:53pm On Feb 09, 2008
Which jewish king was cursed and prophesided upon by a prophet of God never to have off-springs, but apparently ended up being one of the ancestors of Jesus, according to the genealogies of Matt and/or Luke?
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by therationa(m): 3:03pm On Feb 16, 2008
I found the answer to my own question, no thanks to you experts of the Bible.

The answer is King Jeconiah (Jehoiachim). This king turns up in Matthews genealogy although this king was cursed and exiled and was told that none of his descendants could ever sit on the throne of David (Jeremiah 22: 24-30)

24 "As surely as I live," declares the LORD, "even if you, Jehoiachin [c] son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, were a signet ring on my right hand, I would still pull you off.
25 I will hand you over to those who seek your life, those you fear—to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and to the Babylonians.
26 I will hurl you and the mother who gave you birth into another country, where neither of you was born, and there you both will die.
27 You will never come back to the land you long to return to."

28 Is this man Jehoiachin a despised, broken pot,
an object no one wants?
Why will he and his children be hurled out,
cast into a land they do not know?

29 O land, land, land,
hear the word of the LORD!

30 This is what the LORD says:
"Record this man as if childless,
a man who will not prosper in his lifetime,
for none of his offspring will prosper,
none will sit on the throne of David
or rule anymore in Judah
."

How come does he appear in a listing of Jesus's forefathers? BIZARRE. Did the curse fail to work OR was it repealled?
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by 4Him(m): 4:35pm On Feb 16, 2008
1. Coniah is mentioned in Mathew as a descendant of Joseph.

2. Jesus Christ was NOT born of Joseph.

3. The genealogy of Jesus Christ was through Mary His mother and that is listed in the book of Luke 3.

4. Thus by virtue of Luke's account of Mary's genealogy, Coniah is NOT one of Jesus forebears.

Pls learn to understand simple facts before running here to make a fool of urself. Thank you.
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by therationa(m): 4:41pm On Feb 16, 2008
What is King Jeconiah (Jehoiachim) doing in Matthew's genealogy of Jesus?
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by 4Him(m): 4:44pm On Feb 16, 2008
therationa:

What is King Jeconiah (Jehoiachim) doing in Matthew's genealogy of Jesus?

1. Matthew's genealogy is that of Joseph not that of Jesus Christ (you will continue to make this same error because u desperately want to findn some contradiction).

2. There is evidence to prove that this curse was lifted. Jeconiah went on to have children.
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by therationa(m): 4:52pm On Feb 16, 2008
4Him:

2. There is evidence to prove that this curse was lifted. Jeconiah went on to have children.

Would be really nice to see evidence for the lifting of the curse smiley . Is this too much to ask?
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by 4Him(m): 5:13pm On Feb 16, 2008
therationa:

Would be really nice to see evidence for the lifting of the curse smiley . Is this too much to ask?

no sir, rabbinic sources indicate that Coniah was forgiven and his curse reversed after the exile in babylon . . . i will only quote two of many sources:

Numbers Rabbah XX:20 (date uncertain; 9th c.?)

, no sooner had they repented, than the danger was averted, And the Lord repented of the evil (ib. XXXII, 14). And so in many places. For example, He said about Jekoniah: For no man of his seed shall prosper (Jer. XXII, 30) and it says, I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the nations . . . In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, My servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the Lord, and will make thee as a signet (Hag. II, 22 f.). Thus was annulled that which He had said to his forefather, viz. As I live, saith the Lord, though Coniah the son of Jehoiakim King of Judah were the signet upon My right hand, yet I would pluck thee thence (Jer. XXII, 24).

--Soncino Midrash Rabbah vol 6, pp. 812-13

Here is another source:

Pesikta de-Rab Kahana (5th c.)

I accepted the repentance of Jeconiah: shall I not accept your repentance? A cruel decree had been imposed upon Jeconiah: Scripture says, This man Coniah is a despised, shattered image ('sb) (Jer. 22:28), for Jeconiah, according to R. Abba bar Kahana, was like a man's skull ('sm) which once shattered is utterly useless, or according to R. Helbo, like a wrapper of reed matting that dates are packed in, which, once emptied, is utterly useless. . . .
- --Yale Judaica edition translated by William G. Braude and Israel J. Kapstein (Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America, 1975), pp. 376-77. Bracketed portions are Braude and Kapstein's explanations.

Coniah indeed went on to have sons (he was cursed to be childless) . . . The descendants of Jehoiachin the captive: Shealtiel his son, Malkiram, Pedaiah, Shenazzar, Jekamiah, Hoshama and Nedabiah
-- 1 Chronicles 3:17-18

Coniah's son went on to be governor of Isreal . . . "'On that day,' declares the LORD Almighty, 'I will take you, my servant Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel,' declares the LORD, 'and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,' declares the LORD Almighty."
-- Haggai 2:23

Any more contradictions?
Re: Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible by therationa(m): 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2008
4Him:

no sir, rabbinic sources indicate that Coniah was forgiven and his curse reversed after the exile in babylon . . . i will only quote two of many sources:

Numbers Rabbah XX:20 (date uncertain; 9th c.?)

, no sooner had they repented, than the danger was averted, And the Lord repented of the evil (ib. XXXII, 14). And so in many places. For example, He said about Jekoniah: For no man of his seed shall prosper (Jer. XXII, 30) and it says, I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the nations . . . In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, My servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the Lord, and will make thee as a signet (Hag. II, 22 f.). Thus was annulled that which He had said to his forefather, viz. As I live, saith the Lord, though Coniah the son of Jehoiakim King of Judah were the signet upon My right hand, yet I would pluck thee thence (Jer. XXII, 24).

--Soncino Midrash Rabbah vol 6, pp. 812-13

Here is another source:

Pesikta de-Rab Kahana (5th c.)

I accepted the repentance of Jeconiah: shall I not accept your repentance? A cruel decree had been imposed upon Jeconiah: Scripture says, This man Coniah is a despised, shattered image ('sb) (Jer. 22:28), for Jeconiah, according to R. Abba bar Kahana, was like a man's skull ('sm) which once shattered is utterly useless, or according to R. Helbo, like a wrapper of reed matting that dates are packed in, which, once emptied, is utterly useless. . . .
- --Yale Judaica edition translated by William G. Braude and Israel J. Kapstein (Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America, 1975), pp. 376-77. Bracketed portions are Braude and Kapstein's explanations.

Coniah indeed went on to have sons (he was cursed to be childless) . . . The descendants of Jehoiachin the captive: Shealtiel his son, Malkiram, Pedaiah, Shenazzar, Jekamiah, Hoshama and Nedabiah
-- 1 Chronicles 3:17-18

Coniah's son went on to be governor of Isreal . . . "'On that day,' declares the LORD Almighty, 'I will take you, my servant Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel,' declares the LORD, 'and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,' declares the LORD Almighty."
-- Haggai 2:23

Any more contradictions?

Many Many Many Thankx Thankx Thanks. I stand CORRECTED. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Tribute To Ladi Lawal Of Daar Communication. / I Have A Question For Knowledgeable Christains / Rihanna's "Where Have You Been" Video: Illuminati Symbolism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.