Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) (52266 Views)

Truck Bursts Into Flames While On Motion In Lagos [PICS] / Trailer Tumbles And Falls At Alapere Lagos (pics) / Driver Urinates On The Roadside, Causes Traffic At Ekoro Road In Lagos (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by iakindele: 4:15pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
The pictures are meant to show the nice places in Lagos and not to glorify the governor. Afterall the governor and his government had little to do with what we're seeing. Let's appreciate it.

The question is; do we have this kind of pictures 10 years ago? I am sure the answer is nah!
Let appreciate today improvements and vote in another good candidates to continue improving the rest of area that still lack development. Let’s crucify the corrupt politicians and praise the one that is doing well in the name of the masses.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by bigfat: 4:17pm On Nov 27, 2012
[size=15pt]my fine country/state without basic social amenities [/size]

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by gidiMonsta(m): 4:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
gregg2:

Not much has been added to what Federal govt did for Lagos Island. 85% of the roads shown here are
federal roads - built and maintained by Federal govt apart from
the sweeping aspect. Besides, 98% of the pictures shown here are those of the Island – an area
already developed long ago by the Federal govt and private sector.

So, please show us pictures of the Mainland – an area majorly under the jurisdiction of the Lagos
State govt. Show us pictures of Ikeja, Agege, Amuwo Odofin, Iyana Ipaja, Surulere, Okoko, Mile 2,
Ketu, Alakuko, Abulegba, Bariga etc

You're kidding right? Most of the roads in those pictures were renovated by the LASG. Many Lagosians will remember the massive reconstruction of Lagos Island during the 2nd term of Tinubu. The Tinubu square on broad street was commissioned on the same day the roads were commissioned during one of the Fashola raliies of 2007. The Fed. govt. may have built Lagos but have done zilch to assist the govt. in maintaining it.

For those of you claiming the development in Lagos is isolated to the Island, I implore you to visit Yaba, Surulere, Ikeja and many parts of Ikorodu. When LASG proposed the garden laws that will make most parts of Lagos wear a new look, many of you were screaming dictatorship, we can't eat our cake and have it you know?

3 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Tunjman(m): 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
Eko oni baje o
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by mapet: 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
@OP

1. You wan cause katakata O!. First some people wanted us to believe there is nothing is Lagos, that Lagos is dirty and the roads are all bad. You know NLrs that have been to Lagos on the pages of internet. You want to serve them humble pie a la carte?
2. At this rate you will only "congest" Lagos the more. I bet you many of the NL folks that had been hating Lagos will take a night bus and be here tomorrow

@ badbele on page 1, @OP was on the travel section if you checked and not the political section. Must you guys attack Fashola, Tinubu and ACN at every chance? even at the expence of making you look stupid?

2 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by geez1: 4:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
Who let this Igbotic bigot afam4silly loose?

Must you comment? No matter how hard you hate, Yorubaland will continue to advance

And how can you say the governor and his predecessor has nothing to do with this when a good number of roads on the island and mainland have been rehabilitated in the last 12 years. From Marina, to Adeola Odeku, Ajose Adeogun, Ahmadu Bello, Oregun Road, Itire Road, Adelabu, Adeniran Ogunsanya, Funsho Williams, Bode Thomas, Eric Moore etc. And my list is less than a quarter of all the roads rehabilitated

2 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by gidiMonsta(m): 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm not arguing that there are no ghettos in parts of New York. My point is that all New York borough are livable. There may be some ghetto areas with hoodrats but they are livable. It's not like Lagos that Livability is restricted to the Island. How come 95% of beautiful pictures about Lagos are always Island pictures. I can authoritatively tell you that 90% of Lagos is a ghetto. Take that to the bank and i assure you that it won't bounce. I'm not trying to run down lagos as it's my city just as it is yours even though you've never been here before grin grin grin

90% of Lagos is not a ghetto. You don't seem to draw a line between sub-urban settlements and gheto. Becuase an area doesn't have skyscrapers doesn't classify it as a ghetto.

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Steezz(m): 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is beautiful...cant wait 2 get back 2 Lagos!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
I THINK ILL LET THE RESIDENTS COMMENT ON THIS
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
Deceptive and selective beauty.

Considering that Lagos is one of the most dangerous places to live in. Johannesburg is also very beautiful.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2012
undecideds[]me tyte shyit ryt there!...wish J[]s city waz lyk thizzzzzz!!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by ochallo: 4:36pm On Nov 27, 2012
wow, this is nice but is this the lagos that Rick ross shot his video (can't hold me down), plus all this people that want to build on land reclaimed from sea are really taunting the sea. I pray lagos is not redistributed into the sea with this so called atlantic city. GOd help us all.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by daylae(m): 4:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
With the growing pace at which the city develops,the time is now to embark on a sustainable power project to meet the surging rate of development. At least lagos should be working on generating nothing less than 10,000mw of electricity in view of future demand which must be the case,and not wait for the federal govt.

2 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by mamagee3(f): 4:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
Some parts of Lagos look like heaven on earth. . .

While other parts are like slumps, wonder why things should be like this in one of the world's biggest and over populated cities
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by TonySpike: 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
gregg2:

Not much has been added to what Federal govt did for Lagos Island. 85% of the roads shown here are
federal roads - built and maintained by Federal govt apart from
the sweeping aspect. Besides, 98% of the pictures shown here are those of the Island – an area
already developed long ago by the Federal govt and private sector.

So, please show us pictures of the Mainland – an area majorly under the jurisdiction of the Lagos
State govt. Show us pictures of Ikeja, Agege, Amuwo Odofin, Iyana Ipaja, Surulere, Okoko, Mile 2,
Ketu, Alakuko, Abulegba, Bariga etc

Are you sure of this statement? Please, do your research very well...
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by sundaybam(m): 4:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
Lagos is really developing. More work 2 be done anyway
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by solomon111(m): 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:
Who let this Igbotic bigot afam4silly loose?

Must you comment? No matter how hard you hate, Yorubaland will continue to advance

And how can you say the governor and his predecessor has nothing to do with this when a good number of roads on the island and mainland have been rehabilitated in the last 12 years. From Marina, to Adeola Odeku, Ajose Adeogun, Ahmadu Bello, Oregun Road, Itire Road, Adelabu, Adeniran Ogunsanya, Funsho Williams, Bode Thomas, Eric Moore etc. And my list is less than a quarter of all the roads rehabilitated

Now that is your problem;
you are too retarded and tribalistic.
Have you ever wondered why lagos is different from the rest of the SW states?
You think lagos would progress if it were a monocultural society?
Think again.

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by deols(f): 5:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
Pray you dont land at Muritala MA in d afternoon. With the sight from above u wld want to go back.

While I agree there's been some development. It just isnt good enough.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by solomon111(m): 5:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
daylae: With the growing pace at which the city develops,the time is now to embark on a sustainable power project to meet the surging rate of development. At least lagos should be working on generating nothing less than 10,000mw of electricity in view of future demand which must be the case,and not wait for the federal govt.
well to have such amount of electricity,you need huge amount of gas from the niger-delta.
Unfortunately,some yoruba idiotts think the SW is self-sufficient.
Let the yoruba ethnic jingoists, power lagos by themselves.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Evie007: 5:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! smiley
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by jaydude(f): 5:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
How does this affect the price of g.arr.I in aswani market undecided
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
olivertwist:

Okay let's start with the bolded as they are hosting the next olympics
So, how come Lagos was not chosen to host the Olympics?
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Arsenate(m): 5:14pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
They did not see it because most parts of Lagos don't look like this.
oh..STFU already U bleeping hater
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx:

No one is saying Lagos, or any Nigerian/Black-African city is comparable to those cities - however, if you're going to do a documentary, you need to be objective... Make sure you show the good, the bad, and the ugly - and let people decide for themselves...

Let me give you two other links of the kind of Western narrative and pictorial depiction I'm talking about - and please tell me the correlation between the topics and the pictures...

These are the links:

- Nigeria's love of pidgin dey scatter my brain yet ginger my swagger: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/24/nigeria-pidgin-scatter-brain-swagger
- Nigeria's shoppers rival Russia and the Middle East for West End spending: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/10/nigeria-shoppers-rival-russia-middle-east

Is that what the average radio station in Nigeria looks like?

And is that what the average shopping centre in Nigeria looks like?

Please, be honest!
I'm not arguing that the foreign media are fair in their reportage of Africa. I'm just saying that most times they show what typically depicts the topic of discourse.

Now, about the links...the first link was about pidgin English and you and i can agree that if they're going to show a picture that remotely depicts that, it should be a picture from the ghettos because that's where pidgin English is most spoke. You don't expect them to show a pic of the white collar buildings of broad street because people don't speak pidgin English in those builders. English is the main stay in those places.

As for the second picture, since they're talking about shopping, they had to represent that with where shopping takes place which is a market. I know you're expecting them to put up a picture of shoprite or the GAME. How can they put it up when majority of Nigeria don't shop in those places. Majority of Nigerians shop in those rundown markets like was represented in that second pic.

Though we can start branding ourselves and tell the whole world how we want to be seen. The media is a very powerful tol and if we can get an international media house in the mould of Al Jazeera or CCTV, then we're god to go.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2012
gidiMonsta:

90% of Lagos is not a ghetto. You don't seem to draw a line between sub-urban settlements and gheto. Becuase an area doesn't have skyscrapers doesn't classify it as a ghetto.
By Ghetto i mean the standard of living in those places. That places like Ogba are not called ghettos doesn't mean they aren't. The places that are called ghettos in Nigeria are supposed to be Nicknamed "Hell fire".
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 5:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
Arsenate: oh..STFU already U bleeping hater
Thank you Sir.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by eminex(m): 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
solomon111: Now that is your problem;
you are too retarded and tribalistic.
Have you ever wondered why lagos is different from the rest of the SW states?
You think lagos would progress if it were a monocultural society?
Think again.

Help me ask am o!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 5:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
Ile-Ife:

How did the conversation get here "best cities in the world". The topic says 'growing beauty of Lagos', Guy, i hail you! Kwenu!! One man wolf pack...born hater. grin grin grin
I was just using a scenario to paint a picture for someone. You don't run into the middle of the road to ask why drivers are ignoring the zebra crossing. That will only cost you your life.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by amosy007: 5:28pm On Nov 27, 2012
solomon111: well to have such amount of electricity,you need huge amount of gas from the niger-delta.
why cant u do little reseach nd find out that south west have enough oil and gas to sustain them and all nigeria oil is not in south south b4 posting dis bla bla bla

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by daylae(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
solomon111: well to have such amount of electricity,you need huge amount of gas from the niger-delta.
don't turn this into some ethnic squabbles. . . And yes,that will be helpful to met the future demand. . .but other alternatives are there. The ongoing eko atlantic city is projected to source for power independently for example.

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by NosaHenry(m): 5:31pm On Nov 27, 2012
I know life in lagos can be healthic that pple hadly notice the beauty. I am really impressed with this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

See What This Funke Oyinbo, Ukrainian Said About Nigeria / Despite 800 New BRT Buses, See How Lagos Bus Terminals Look On Monday Morning / Rwanda's Capital Kigali Is The Cleanest City In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.