Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 (6215 Views)

Reps Only Spent 107 Days In Plenary In 2012 / Describe Your Governor's Performance In 2012 In One Word / The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by iconaus: 8:25am On Nov 28, 2012
Go go Nigeria son and daughter . Happy we have people like you - Ngozi and achebe . more of this
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 8:25am On Nov 28, 2012
I'm not surprised with Achebe because he was also named the most influential African. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala on the other hand, even though brilliant and strong, her thinking prowess has not really been felt by Nigerians.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by vislabraye(m): 8:29am On Nov 28, 2012
What about Dr. Osuji? He deserves a spot.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 28, 2012
hugafella:

what do u mean by runs woman? we seem to have lost our morals really. How can someone who has not achieved anything apart from a couple of NL posts be calling NOI a "runs woman"? I was brought up to know that u don't insult other peoples' parents, especially where you know you can never match any of NOI's children.

U see the examples of the systemic decay in our society? U see the failure of parenthood? U see where we are failing even in having a conscience? People just run their mouths only on Nairaland and its accepted as okay. I don't know who trained "cyril83" but u have to help yourself to change the way u think. #fact.

ar u sick or what? These words ar to harsh, early mo~mo 4 dat matter. Throw ur aggression and frustration to ur family members.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Sagytarius(m): 8:31am On Nov 28, 2012
abdulkayus:

i agree dat Achebe book is d most debated book, and as i say, he may included due to sympathy abt d recent book he release. Soyinka may nt make news lately bt he is still very active. So, Mandela in in retirement and no more recognition for him?

As far NOI, cant disagree wit u. Her being there loss d valie of d report.
Enyi, Shutdafuckup if you have not meaningfull to say!!!
Lets have ur own list or pipe low!!
ANUMAN!
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by ypzilanti: 8:32am On Nov 28, 2012
abdulkayus:

i agree dat Achebe book is d most debated book, and as i say, he may included due to sympathy abt d recent book he release. Soyinka may nt make news lately bt he is still very active. So, Mandela in in retirement and no more recognition for him?

As far NOI, cant disagree wit u. Her being there loss d valie of d report.

What do you mean by sympathy? He wrote a book that was widely debated by newspapers and intellectuals around the world this year, bringing attention to his personal account of the Biafran war.

It does not matter what anyone thinks, but for the next 100 years, anytime people study the biafran war academically, that book will be quoted copiously in agreement or disagreement of his assertions. That is how he made the list. It is a yearly list of who mattered in THAT YEAR.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by iconaus: 8:32am On Nov 28, 2012
People are making mistake . You cannot judge Ngozi based on her less than 2 yrs performance as finance minister in nigeria .Is had to resurcitate nigeria . Nigeria is dead . If people expect magic from her, u re dreaming . Her input will start to manifest after 3 yrs at least . Nigeria is dyfunctional . nigeria is hard to govern . People take note . I think condemnation has a tribal undertone . Ngozi is world class policy maker and an acheiver. Her appearing in this list is not questionable.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by ypzilanti: 8:35am On Nov 28, 2012
vislabraye: What about Dr. Osuji? He deserves a spot.

who is Dr. Osuji? Do you think this is list of most influential people in eastern Nigeria?
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by PeterKbaba: 8:35am On Nov 28, 2012
[b]NAIRALANDERS!!! HAVE WE ALL NOTICED THAT THE YORUBAS ARE NOT HERE INSULTING............. IF IT WERE YORUBA ACHIEVEMENT NOW, WE WOULD HAVE HARD 15 PAGES OF INSULTS AND DEBATE FROM 1960'S TILL DATE ON WHY THE YORUBA'S SHOULDN'T HAVE THE ACHEIVEMENT. WE CAN ALL SEE THAT YORUBAS ARE NOT TRIBALISTIC.... WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR IGBO BROTHER AND SISTER'S ACHEIVEMENT.

YORUBA'S PLEASE IGNORE ANYONE THAT TRIES TO USE THIS TO INSTIGATE A TRIBAL E-WAR!

NAIRALANDERS!!! HAVE WE ALL NOTICED THAT THE YORUBAS ARE NOT HERE INSULTING............. IF IT WERE YORUBA ACHIEVEMENT NOW, WE WOULD HAVE HARD 15 PAGES OF INSULTS AND DEBATE FROM 1960'S TILL DATE ON WHY THE YORUBA'S SHOULDN'T HAVE THE ACHEIVEMENT. WE CAN ALL SEE THAT YORUBAS ARE NOT TRIBALISTIC.... WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR IGBO BROTHER AND SISTER'S ACHEIVEMENT.

YORUBA'S PLEASE IGNORE ANYONE THAT TRIES TO USE THIS TO INSTIGATE A TRIBAL E-WAR!

NAIRALANDERS!!! HAVE WE ALL NOTICED THAT THE YORUBAS ARE NOT HERE INSULTING............. IF IT WERE YORUBA ACHIEVEMENT NOW, WE WOULD HAVE HARD 15 PAGES OF INSULTS AND DEBATE FROM 1960'S TILL DATE ON WHY THE YORUBA'S SHOULDN'T HAVE THE ACHEIVEMENT. WE CAN ALL SEE THAT YORUBAS ARE NOT TRIBALISTIC.... WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR IGBO BROTHER AND SISTER'S ACHEIVEMENT.

[/b]
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 28, 2012
ypzilanti:

Does everything have to be tribal in Nigeria? Yorubas have also produced people of global reknown, chief of which is Wole Soyinka...he did not make this particular list due to whatever criteria the selectors used. Most likely that he has not made a major news in the past year. I am igbo and do not think Okonjo Iweala should be on the list. I think she made it due to her wave making hunt for the world bank job. Her performance on the job, however has been dismal.
Comments such as yours are SHOCKING. What do you expect Okonjo Iweala to have achieved in a 1yr(she joined this govt sometime in August or so last yr)? Is she a MAGICIAN? Do you expect her to share money, sack the governors, national assembly or what? I dont really understand whether Nigerians expect some public office holders to deploy SUPERNATURAL powers in solving the country's problem. Another point I have to make is the HYPOCRISY in our criticisms or support for public office holders. Some persons can support a Fashola for instance in his implementation of HARD/DIFFICULT policies (eg Okada ban, 500% increase in LASU school fees, lekki toll,etc) but cannot support an Okonjo Iweala in similar HARD/DIFFICULT policies such as removal of fuel subsidy? In fact, the same supporters of Fashola who sell some of his HARD but necessary policies to us will vow to oppose Okonjo's HARD but necessary policies with the LAST DROP OF THEIR BLOOD. This is just part of the HYPOCRISY and CONTRADICTIONS that I stand against on NL.
Meanwhile, some of the modest achievements of Okonjo Iweala in the last 1yr are as follows:
* Reduction of Budget deficit from 2.96% of GDP in 2011 to 2.85% in 2012 to projected 2.17% in 2013(next year).
* Reduction of domestic borrowing from N852 billion in 2011 to N744 billion in 2012 budget and projected N727 billion in 2013(next year).
* Provision of 'Sink-in Fund' of about N25billion yearly from next budget year to service domestic debt in order to try to retire it over time.
* Reduction of Overhead votes to N266billion in 2012 to projected N230billion in 2013(next year).
* Reduction of Recurrent Component of the budget from 74.43% in 2011 to 71.47% in 2012 to around 68.7% in 2013(next year).

* Growth of the Foreign Reserves from about $32Billion early this year to more than 2 year high of almost $46billion last week. Also important is the settig up of the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF).
* The Stabilization of the Banking sectors which has gone to profitability again, and the recovery of the Stock Exchage whose Capitalization has increased by about 34% this year alone.
* Appreciation of the Naira this year above 3% (as at October, the best performing in Africa), and of course better Foreign inflows including this $8.9billion FDI

2 Likes

Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by abdulkayus(m): 8:37am On Nov 28, 2012
kutchs:
It is a crap list from the imperialists because Achebe and Iweala (two people you probably never liked) made the list. I guess it would have been a wonderful list had any other than the two made the list.

Well I challenge you to compile your own list and lets see who makes it.

Despite our disdain and dislike for these two legends they keep receiving international accolades, take it or leave it they are up there with the very best.

For ur information the piece on Iweala describes the fuel subsidy as popular yet economically disastrous and most of her policies meant to improve the country has met with stern nd stiff opposition from godfathers and cabals who are hell bent on maintaining the status quo.

hey i never Achebe bt i disagree wit him in some aspect of his latest book. Achebe is some1 i hold in high esteem in literacy world 2geda wit wole soyinka, crypian ekwensi, eddie iro et al. Bt his latest book is nt wat i xpect frm him. It was one sided and heap d blame of d misfortune of Igbos on 1 person(great Awo) and silent abt d atrocities of d biafra warlord and d north.

As for NOI, yes i hate cos of wat she has subjected nigerians to and d massive corruption she has indulge in, bt still claim brilliant and saint. She is answering d policies of her masters in world bank and IMF. Tel me, wat benefit has she benefited nigeria since she start her ministership during GEJ regime?
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Abali1(m): 8:38am On Nov 28, 2012
I don't know about Iweala, but if you ask me I think the other Nigerian Alive who should be on that list apart from Achebe is WOLE SOYINKA.
I am Igbo, but I respect Kongi more than I do Achebe, even though am in awe whenever I come across Achebe's work.

But in the Nigeria that I grew up, Soyinka as well as Gani Fawehenmi, of blessed memories, are the great thinkers Nigeria has ever produced. Radicals who are not afraid to speak the truth.

1 Like

Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Uniquexty(f): 8:40am On Nov 28, 2012
Include me in that list joor
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by ypzilanti: 8:40am On Nov 28, 2012
icon aus: People are making mistake . You cannot judge Ngozi based on her less than 2 yrs performance as finance minister in nigeria .Is had to resurcitate nigeria . Nigeria is dead . If people expect magic from her, u re dreaming . Her input will start to manifest after 3 yrs at least . Nigeria is dyfunctional . nigeria is hard to govern . People take note . I think condemnation has a tribal undertone . Ngozi is world class policy maker and an acheiver. Her appearing in this list is not questionable.

Which one be tribal overtone? I and many igbos here have said we do not believe she should be on that list. Must everything be tribal to you? NOI oversaw massive looting of the treasury under the subsidy scheme. With the removal of some part of the subsidy, there has been no appreciable works to account for the extra money in government coffers. She is co-ordinating minister, hence supervising incompetent ministers that have not impacted Nigerians in any positive way. How exactly has she improved our welfare since this second term in office. What great achievement can we associate with her?
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 8:42am On Nov 28, 2012
Abali1: I don't know about Iweala, but if you ask me I think the other Nigerian Alive who should be on that list apart from Achebe is WOLE SOYINKA.
I am Igbo, but I respect Kongi more than I do Achebe, even though am in awe whenever I come across Achebe's work.

But in the Nigeria that I grew up, Soyinka as well as Gani Fawehenmi, of blessed memories, are the great thinkers Nigeria has ever produced. Radicals who are not afraid to speak the truth.
I think Wole Soyinka has impacted more in Nigeria than Achebe. But i think they're looking global.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by DINGO(m): 8:44am On Nov 28, 2012
THE IGBOS ARE GRATE I MUST ADMIT. SURE THEY CAN ALWAYS CREATE SOMETHING GRATE FROM NOTHING.
THE MOST ADORED,CREATIVE AND POPULAR IN NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by mascot87(m): 8:45am On Nov 28, 2012
Decryptor: Why didn't a y....ba person make the list?
Shameless HE go*t
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by abdulkayus(m): 8:51am On Nov 28, 2012
Sagytarius: Enyi, Shutdafuckup if you have not meaningfull to say!!!
Lets have ur own list or pipe low!!
ANUMAN!

u c dem, dem don start. Cant hav a simple argument witout abuse or callin names. My guy, go bac to ur sleep, ur eyes never clear. When dey are clear, u can comeback and hav better discussion.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by ypzilanti: 8:52am On Nov 28, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
Comments such as yours are SHOCKING. What do you expect Okonjo Iweala to have achieved in a 1yr(she joined this govt sometime in August or so last yr)? Is she a MAGICIAN? Do you expect her to share money, sack the governors, national assembly or what? I dont really understand whether Nigerians expect some public office holders to deploy SUPERNATURAL powers in solving the country's problem. Another point I have to make is the HYPOCRISY in our criticisms or support for public office holders. Some persons can support a Fashola for instance in his implementation of HARD/DIFFICULT policies (eg Okada ban, 500% increase in LASU school fees, lekki toll,etc) but cannot support an Okonjo Iweala in similar HARD/DIFFICULT policies such as removal of fuel subsidy? In fact, the same supporters of Fashola who sell some of his HARD but necessary policies to us will vow to oppose Okonjo's HARD but necessary policies with the LAST DROP OF THEIR BLOOD. This is just part of the HYPOCRISY and CONTRADICTIONS that I stand against on NL.
Meanwhile, some of the modest achievements of Okonjo Iweala in the last 1yr are as follows:
* Reduction of Budget deficit from 2.96% of GDP in 2011 to 2.85% in 2012 to projected 2.17% in 2013(next year).
* Reduction of domestic borrowing from N852 billion in 2011 to N744 billion in 2012 budget and projected N727 billion in 2013(next year).
* Provision of 'Sink-in Fund' of about N25billion yearly from next budget year to service domestic debt in order to try to retire it over time.
* Reduction of Overhead votes to N266billion in 2012 to projected N230billion in 2013(next year).
* Reduction of Recurrent Component of the budget from 74.43% in 2011 to 71.47% in 2012 to around 68.7% in 2013(next year).

* Growth of the Foreign Reserves from about $32Billion early this year to more than 2 year high of almost $46billion last week. Also important is the settig up of the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF).
* The Stabilization of the Banking sectors which has gone to profitability again, and the recovery of the Stock Exchage whose Capitalization has increased by about 34% this year alone.
* Appreciation of the Naira this year above 3% (as at October, the best performing in Africa), and of course better Foreign inflows including this $8.9billion FDI

NOI is partly responsible for the subsidy fraud because she did not uncover the massive fraud in the sector until Nigerians yelled 'FOUL!'. That is a huge oversight on her part. Also, she is virtually the prime minister of Nigeria with the tag 'co-ordinating minister' implying that she supervises our lack luster team of ineffective political jobbers masquerading as ministers. She can start by applying pressure on the minister of works to get on with infrastructure works already. All the achievements you list above are a few percentage points here or there. We need radical cuts in public spending on inefficient civil servants. A mass purge of dead wood and transparent recruitment of young graduates and professionals from the private sector is needed. she is moving at the slow pace of her Oga Jonathan. She should resign if he refuses to move at a fast enough pace.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Okukk(m): 8:55am On Nov 28, 2012
I respect this my tribes ambassador...common guys, these guys are geniuses. Doing the nation proud. Great people great nation
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by abdulkayus(m): 8:55am On Nov 28, 2012
ypzilanti:

Which one be tribal overtone? I and many igbos here have said we do not believe she should be on that list. Must everything be tribal to you? NOI oversaw massive looting of the treasury under the subsidy scheme. With the removal of some part of the subsidy, there has been no appreciable works to account for the extra money in government coffers. She is co-ordinating minister, hence supervising incompetent ministers that have not impacted Nigerians in any positive way. How exactly has she improved our welfare since this second term in office. What great achievement can we associate with her?

God bless u ,may ur day be long.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by jawjaw1: 8:56am On Nov 28, 2012
So far, all signs suggest Banda could become a new model for African leadership, shedding the strongman syndrome and getting down to business to help the poor. She has cut her own salary by 30 percent and put the late Mutharika’s $12 million presidential jet and most of his fleet of 60 luxury cars up for sale. “I can as well use private airlines,” she said. “I am already used to hitchhiking.

I am particularly thrilled by this comment. A president is selling off the presidential jet and fleet of cars! Here in Nigeria others are buying and people think it is okay. Gosh, too many heads without brains!
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by shyna501: 9:00am On Nov 28, 2012
Does it mean dat d rest of our leaders ₪☺ get brain?
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by ypzilanti: 9:04am On Nov 28, 2012
jaw jaw: So far, all signs suggest Banda could become a new model for African leadership, shedding the strongman syndrome and getting down to business to help the poor. She has cut her own salary by 30 percent and put the late Mutharika’s $12 million presidential jet and most of his fleet of 60 luxury cars up for sale. “I can as well use private airlines,” she said. “I am already used to hitchhiking.

I am particularly thrilled by this comment. A president is selling off the presidential jet and fleet of cars! Here in Nigeria others are buying and people think it is okay. Gosh, too many heads without brains!

When we get a president of that mould, all nigerians will sit up and know that the music has just changed.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by vislabraye(m): 9:21am On Nov 28, 2012
ypzilanti:

who is Dr. Osuji? Do you think this is list of most influential people in eastern Nigeria?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. I know why I said so.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Sammy107d(m): 9:22am On Nov 28, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Sagytarius(m): 9:22am On Nov 28, 2012
Abali1:
Vweeke!! Soyinka don die too?
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Sagytarius(m): 9:27am On Nov 28, 2012
abdulkayus:
u c dem, dem don start. Cant hav a simple argument witout abuse or callin names. My guy, go bac to ur sleep, ur eyes never clear. When dey are clear, u can comeback and hav better discussion.
I don't need to be awake before I can deduce ur bigotry-infested posts. You've been posting trash all along. Someone simply put to you: "if they dont deserve to be there, then who?" Mpama, if u can't comprehend simp'r'e Eng'r'ish, go back and learn. When you have learnt, you can now come back and make your point constructively. Or better still, you sit on the sideline and watch like me.
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by hugafella(m): 9:28am On Nov 28, 2012
De_ Law:

ar u sick or what? These words ar to harsh, early mo~mo 4 dat matter. Throw ur aggression and frustration to ur family members.

I'm sure the post didn't make sense to you. In fact, u called it "aggression". What a pity, birds of a feather. I'm sure u belong to the school of people who insult icons. And for ur info, I will train my kids not to insult their elders. it's just our culture. I'm sure ur case is the opposite. Pls throw ur uncultured remarke to your family members too.

1 Like

Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by abdulkayus(m): 10:12am On Nov 28, 2012
Sagytarius: I don't need to be awake before I can deduce ur bigotry-infested posts. You've been posting trash all along. Someone simply put to you: "if they dont deserve to be there, then who?" Mpama, if u can't comprehend simp'r'e Eng'r'ish, go back and learn. When you have learnt, you can now come back and make your point constructively. Or better still, you sit on the sideline and watch like me.

hey, hav u wake up frm ur slumber due to drinking buruku over 9t?
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by Decryptor(m): 10:52am On Nov 28, 2012
mascot87:
Shameless HE go*t
A trait your father shares with me cos he is also a he-goat
Re: Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012 by frederal(m): 10:59am On Nov 28, 2012
Ignore kwenu! Anyi Zuru ka eme.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Govt Releases 2015 Cut-off Marks For Federal Govt Colleges. / Aboki Sells Suya To Dr. Joe Abah With His Face On It, He Reacts / Governorship Primary In Lagos, Free Fair Peaceful – Appeal Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.