Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny (7730 Views)

HELP: Toyota Camry 2007 Acting Funny / Audi Q7 S-line 4,2 V8 FSI Versus Volkswagen Touareg R50 5,0 V10 TDI? / 2010 Volkswagen Touareg Vs 2010 BMW X5. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by tondifari: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
Dear siena, I am an avid follower of your comments on this thread. my details are as follows:-

Make: Volkswagen
Model: Touareg
Engine size: 4.2L, V8
Transmission Type: 6 speed tiptronic
Model year: 2003
Specification: U.S
Drive Configuration: 4WD

I bought this car as tokunbo in march 2012. Since then I have had cause to change the brake pads twice the upper and lower arms and the back arms but the car still makes noise when i encounter gallops. However the major problems I have now are as follows:-
(1)Transmission (Gear).
The car refuses to engage gear from (P)park to (N)neutral or (D)drive occassionally. Normally this happens five days to a week after a red warning sign appears on the dashboard. The sign reads thus " BRAKE. BRAKE FAULT STOP VEHICLE". This has happened about four times since purchase. Each time I have to wait for my mechanic to come and 'scan' and "reprogram' the vehicle before I can move. I have changed the transmission oil recently to no avail. Other yellow signs that are permanently on the dashboard are ABS,Exhaust system malfunction, Airbag fault, ESP malfunction. Can any of this unresolved issues cause this embarrassing problem?.
Again the vehicles movement seems epileptic whenever it comes out of lagos traffic. The mechanic had to top up the transmission oil with almost seven litres of 'Holt' Atf. He says the fibre seems burnt and is soaking up the oil. What do you think?
(2)Engine
I noticed after a recent trip lagos - abuja - aba - lagos that the engine oil was totally short when i dipped the next morning( not showing on the dipping stick). My mechanic has confirmed that there is no leakage but that two plugs are soaked. He has changed them and the car is moving normally. Does this confirm my worst fears?. The mileage is just 79,000km.
(3)Shaft?
Occasionally on turning fully i hear sharp noises 'pum pum' as if the tire wants to pull out. But when i return the steering the noise ceases and the car moves normally. My mechanic removed the two front tyres to check the suspension etc and he claims everything is intact. What do you think.?
(4) Front Light
My head lamps are weak and i cannot drive comfortably at night. My mechanics have changed the bulbs and the setting but the result is the same. He is suggesting I may need to buy the 'charging" system. is he correct?
I look forward to your response. Thanks
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by youngchopper(m): 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2012
i would advice u to stop driving that car n scan it with a capable mechanic. run away from that guy that pourd holts atf in ur transmission. 4 the brake issue ur abs sensor is faulty. check 4 any disconnection of it on ur 4 tyres. cuz i had the same abs light n 4wd on ma pathy. fix it n ma suv is moving like plane. pls run n find a capable mechanic.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by youngchopper(m): 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
from eperience abs n 4wd can damage ur transmission.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
youngchopper: from eperience abs n 4wd can damage ur transmission.

Really? Please, explain how, so we all learn.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hmmm, this is one of the reasons why its best to avoid vehicles built during the first model year of production. They always seem to hv higher than average faults...Most 03/O4 VW touaregs/porsche cayennes have serious quality control issues, just go to touareg user forums and read horror stories of these particular model yrs! Considering the mileage of the vehicle in question...i just hv the feeling dat d vehicle is a lemon. I suggest U̶̲̥̅̊ go to a repair shop that specializes on new generation VWs,Skodas and audis - early model touaregs are notorious for their reliability issues,take heart.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
tondifari: Dear siena, I am an avid follower of your comments on this thread. my details are as follows:-

I bought this car as tokunbo in march 2012. Since then I have had cause to change the brake pads twice the upper and lower arms and the back arms but the car still makes noise when i encounter gallops. However the major problems I have now are as follows:-
(1)Transmission (Gear).
The car refuses to engage gear from (P)park to (N)neutral or (D)drive occassionally. Normally this happens five days to a week after a red warning sign appears on the dashboard. The sign reads thus " BRAKE. BRAKE FAULT STOP VEHICLE". This has happened about four times since purchase. Each time I have to wait for my mechanic to come and 'scan' and "reprogram' the vehicle before I can move. I have changed the transmission oil recently to no avail. Other yellow signs that are permanently on the dashboard are ABS,Exhaust system malfunction, Airbag fault, ESP malfunction. Can any of this unresolved issues cause this embarrassing problem?.
Again the vehicles movement seems epileptic whenever it comes out of lagos traffic. The mechanic had to top up the transmission oil with almost seven litres of 'Holt' Atf. He says the fibre seems burnt and is soaking up the oil. What do you think?
(2)Engine
I noticed after a recent trip lagos - abuja - aba - lagos that the engine oil was totally short when i dipped the next morning( not showing on the dipping stick). My mechanic has confirmed that there is no leakage but that two plugs are soaked. He has changed them and the car is moving normally. Does this confirm my worst fears?. The mileage is just 79,000km.
(3)Shaft?
Occasionally on turning fully i hear sharp noises 'pum pum' as if the tire wants to pull out. But when i return the steering the noise ceases and the car moves normally. My mechanic removed the two front tyres to check the suspension etc and he claims everything is intact. What do you think.?
(4) Front Light
My head lamps are weak and i cannot drive comfortably at night. My mechanics have changed the bulbs and the setting but the result is the same. He is suggesting I may need to buy the 'charging" system. is he correct?
chk ur ABS and 02 sensors...
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by youngchopper(m): 8:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
when ma abs n 4wd was showing on the dash on traffic when changin gear from d to either n or p it would shake the car dat u will feel it. but as soon i dealt with the abs the 4wd disappear n ma transmission ran so smooth dat on trafic it did not reoccure
Siena:

Really? Please, explain how, so we all learn.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by wumss: 2:15pm On Dec 08, 2012
Can anybody pease help with a god mechanic in lagos that can service my vw touraeg 2006 v8 ,? I want to buy a battery anybody know what one to buy?
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by sultaan(m): 6:49pm On Dec 08, 2012
tondifari: Dear siena, I am an avid follower of your comments on this thread. my details are as follows:-

(1)Transmission (Gear).
(2)Engine
(3)Shaft?
(4) Front Light

If you have mud/dirt build up between your tone ring and the sensor the light will come on. Sound might be your CV has a torn boot. You need to have the visually inspected before changing out parts.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by sultaan(m): 7:01pm On Dec 08, 2012
wumss: Can anybody pease help with a god mechanic in lagos that can service my vw touraeg 2006 v8 ,? I want to buy a battery anybody know what one to buy?

Your battery will have 'T8" on it that is the size you need.If you buy another size, goodluck
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by abiamahart: 6:47pm On Dec 09, 2012
@tondifari Do you reside in lagos? If yes you can tune in to Continental Radio on 102.3fm. Kunle Sonaike anchors the program. Programme starts by 8am. They try to offer solutions to auto problems. Alternatively visit their autoshop at (LTV ikeja)?
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by abiamahart: 7:10pm On Dec 09, 2012
@wumms. Check these guy's autoshop too. They are quite equipped. Once i find my invoice i will post their contact nos.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:17pm On Dec 09, 2012

(1)Transmission (Gear).
The car refuses to engage gear from (P)park to (N)neutral or (D)drive occassionally. Normally this happens five days to a week after a red warning sign appears on the dashboard. The sign reads thus " BRAKE. BRAKE FAULT STOP VEHICLE". YOU NEED TO CHECK LEAKAGE IN THE BREAK PIPES OR THE MASTER CYLINDER THE SEAL MIGHT HAVE GONE AND ITS LOSSING THE BRAKE FLUID WITH MOST AUTOMATIC YOU HAVE TO DEPRESS THE BRAKES TO SHIFT FROM PARK TO NEUTRAL SINCE THE BRAKE SYSTEM IS FAULTY NO SIGNAL IS BEING SENT TO RELEASE THE LEVER SO IT WONT RELEASE BE ALSO CHECK THE BRAKE SWITCH OR JUST CHECK THE LEVEL OF THE FLUID This has happened about four times since purchase. Each time I have to wait for my mechanic to come and 'scan' and "reprogram' the vehicle before I can move. I have changed the transmission oil recently to no avail. Other yellow signs that are permanently on the dashboard are ABS -- SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE SENSOR GET A PROPER OBDII IT SHOULD ABLE TO TELL YOU WHICH SENSOR OF THE FOUR WHEELS, Exhaust system malfunction -- THIS I MIGHT BE A EGR VALVE FOR 02 SENSORS A SCAN WILL TELL, Airbag fault --- THIS NEEDS A RESET, ESP malfunction --- SCAN WILL TELL YOU WHATS REALLY WRONG. Can any of this unresolved issues cause this embarrassing problem?. ROUGHLY YOUR MECHANIC DOESNT HAVE A OBDII TOOL TO SCAN THAT SIMPLE WARNS SIGNS ONLY THE ABS AND AIR BAG ARE TRICKY BECOZ A BASIC OBDII WONT BE ABLE TO SCAN AND RESET
(2)Engine
(3)Shaft?
Occasionally on turning fully i hear sharp noises 'pum pum' as if the tire wants to pull out. But when i return the steering the noise ceases and the car moves normally. My mechanic removed the two front tyres to check the suspension etc and he claims everything is intact. What do you think.? -- CHECK ALL BUSHES OFF THE SUSPENSION
(4) Front Light
My head lamps are weak and i cannot drive comfortably at night. My mechanics have changed the bulbs and the setting but the result is the same. He is suggesting I may need to buy the 'charging" system. is he correct? NO CHARHING SYSTEM NEED AND THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THAT CHECK THE VOLTAGE COMING TO LIGHTS IT SHOULD 12VOLTS AND ALSO CHECK HOW CLEAR IS THE LENS ITS SELF ARE THE LIGHT FULL BEAM AND DIPPED WHEN YOU DRIVE AT NIGHT?

AM
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by Tobiizzy(m): 7:25am On Dec 11, 2012
Oga no trial and error I recommend you do full diagnosis on your vehicle ...
You could come to automedics inside LTv ikeja ,automaze on Morrison crescent oregun road
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by youngchopper(m): 11:44am On Dec 11, 2012
Pipo like u make me sick. Hw much is a brand new obd11 dat u will charge 7k to diagnise. In ph dix shit is done for free cuz is ur duty to own such device in other to help u in ur area of work. Instead u guys take it as bizness. Wat do u mean by full diagnice. No be just to read code. Niaja.
Tobiizzy: Oga no trial and error I recommend you do full diagnosis on your vehicle ...
You could come to automedics inside LTv ikeja ,automaze on Morrison crescent oregun road with diagnosing fee of #10000. Or come to my workshop ebun street abule oja yaba we charge #7000

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by Tobiizzy(m): 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2012
oga youngchopper diagnostic tools differ o a launch x431 master costs about $1700 you can check yourself and please if autoshops don't charge how will they make money ehn ?
youngchopper: Pipo like u make me sick. Hw much is a brand new obd11 dat u will charge 7k to diagnise. In ph dix shit is done for free cuz is ur duty to own such device in other to help u in ur area of work. Instead u guys take it as bizness. Wat do u mean by full diagnice. No be just to read code. Niaja.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by jodeci(m): 8:49pm On Dec 11, 2012
Tobiizzy: oga youngchopper diagnostic tools differ o a launch x431 master costs about $1700 you can check yourself and please if autoshops don't charge how will they make money ehn ?

The diagnostic tool should be part of your work tools,just like multimeter,wrenches,guage,compressors etc. I see no reason why anybody would pay u that amount for just diagnosis.You should also be charging for using ur multimeter to detect an short circuit on the car too without repairs.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by youngchopper(m): 5:54am On Dec 12, 2012
billion likes
jodeci:

The diagnostic tool should be part of your work tools,just like
multimeter,wrenches,guage,compressors etc. I see no reason why anybody
would pay u that amount for just diagnosis.You should also be charging
for using ur multimeter to detect an short circuit on the car too
without repairs.
Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by elviszzz: 8:07am On Dec 13, 2012
jodeci:

The diagnostic tool should be part of your work tools,just like multimeter,wrenches,guage,compressors etc. I see no reason why anybody would pay u that amount for just diagnosis.You should also be charging for using ur multimeter to detect an short circuit on the car too without repairs.
I agree wit u bro,dis folks r thieves. A scan only reads fault codes,doesn't repair d car at all n yet dis dudes charge excessively for a diagnosis dat aids their work! Bullshit! Why should I pay 7-10k for a scan wen I can buy one? I dnt patronize dem anymore,I decided to buy one n scan myself.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny by kabworld(m): 9:47pm On Dec 25, 2013
My Volkswagen Passat 1999 Will Not Start...pls Help by kabworld(m): 9:48am
Pls help!!!
Last week I was about to travel but my water pipe was leaking so I needed to branch a nearby mechanic workshop to fix it and was planning to fix my gearsit too. So I drove down to d mechanic to fix it. After fixing d water system he was also trying to fix d gearsit to. So while he was under d car he instructed me to change d gear from park to drive which I Did. So i started the engine, the engine started normally but While I was changing d gear from park to drive, I heard a sound (inside )d gear i guess and reported to d mechanic which he said maybe I Did not press d break firmly. The sound repeated itself while moving from drive back to park. Then I switch off the engine, removed d key thinking everything was still fine only for him to finish about 20mins later, started the engine, making initial cranking sound but didn't power d engine again.
So various things habe been done so far like,
Cleaning d plugs and others.
Some tests carried out include
Timebelt check normal
Nozzles normal flashing
Plugs fires normally with pressure
Fuel pump normal
Cylinder with valves not bent
Sensor working and magnetic even changed to another one
battery is a good one
So please any gpost suggestions to help unravel d mystery of the engine not starting.
PLEASE MAKE UNA HELP OOOO. NA ONLY WATER I WANTED TO CHANGE OOO

(1) (Reply)

See Important Reasons Why You Need To Get Your Cars Tinted (2020) / FRSC Advocates Use Of Bicycles As Alternative Means Of Transport / Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.