Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners (7331 Views)

Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS / Court Sentences Boko Haram Financier To 10 Years Imprisonment With Hard Labour / First Ladies Are ‘Executive Prisoners’ – Aregbesola’s wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by HammedSodiqq: 10:07am On Nov 29, 2012
The senate yesterday expunged hard labour from Nigerian Prisons Act, stressing that it was inherited from the colonial masters.
It recommended that ‘hard labour,’ according to Section (cool1, is “an inheritance from colonial era and should be deleted and replaced with Prison Labour.”
The Senate also recommended a bill for an Act to repeal the Prisons Act Cap. 129 Laws, 2004 and enact the Nigerian Prisons and Correctional Service.
The decision came following the amendment of the Prison Act carried out by Senate Committee on Interior, which was headed by Senator Atiku Bagudu, who also solicited for the accommodation of the Nigeria Prisons reform in the Subsidy Re-investment Empowerment Programme (SURE-P).
Senator Bagudu while speaking during the consideration of the report of the committee, added that anybody who interferes in the work of a prisoner by working outside a prison or entering any house commits an offence and is liable to one year imprisonment or N10,000 fine.

Section 8(g) stipulated that “interference with a prisoner working outside a prison, or allows such a prisoner to enter any house, yard or other premises (unless it is at the request of the prison officer or other person in charge of the prison), or assists such a prisoner to absent himself or neglect his work, commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding N10,000 or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 12 months, or both.”

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/11/28/senate-says-hard-labour-prisoners/
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by trillville(m): 12:16pm On Nov 29, 2012
This is a positive development. The only issue I have with our criminal system is that it favors the rich over the poor. Why should a convict be given the option of simply paying 10,000 naira to escape a jail term of a year? I feel the monetary fine should be tied to our minimum wage, that is 20,000 for one month and 240,000 for a year. Doing this will surely make the prison act more fair and equitable.

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by geophysicist(m): 3:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
waoh, good improvement , am totally proud of these
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Les: 3:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
When will this bill be signed into law??
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by yuzedo: 3:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
Wonderful! The tax-payers money is at work here! Glory! Democracy in progress!
.. We pay Senators elephant salaries to engage in syntax games! This bill to change just one word cost millions of naira. Don't you just love Naija?? grin angry
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Coldfeet(f): 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2012
Ikoyi prison take note

2 Likes

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2012
.bump.
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by handmaid: 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2012
@triville
some penalties, as provided for in our various penal/criminal codes, carry the option of fine while some do not. The section providing for the option of fine may also state the amount to be paid as fine, its not generally made at the discretion of the Court
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by franchizy(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
Pls wen does dis happens

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Drdaps(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
Our politicians ve seen the future,they ar afraid of the day that i will be the president coz i will kick them to jail like ball to the net.

8 Likes

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by youngmonie: 3:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
Rubbish.........there meant to pour all those criminals on road work, street cleaning and railway construction and make them WORK, let them do something usefull for the society ( I mean sit would save companies and govrnment a whole lot of money in terms of hiring people) grin

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by takedat(m): 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2012
They are creating a safe landing for themselves cos most of them will end up cooling off at Kirikiri or Kuje prisons!

5 Likes

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
They should decongest and build modern prisons.
'If you want to know how civilised a country is go to their prisons'

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by LORDEST(m): 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
[img][/img][/font][email][/email][quote][/quote] wink shocked sad angry[img][/img][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=8pt][/size]
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked sad grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by lacasa: 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2012
All na Wash!

Till that day comes wen High-profile govt thieves r serving extensive jail terms in Nigerian Prisons,.

Naa that day i кnoω say tinz don they change angry

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by linearity: 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2012
I guess am confuse here because a lot of people are saying this is a positive development, will be happy if someone can explain it to me...

What is the difference between 'hard labour' and 'prison labour'?...How will this change the status quo?

Just like I do not see any difference between butter and margarine, I use both for exactly the same purpose and they achieve the same goal....I do not see any difference between 'hard labour' and 'prison labour' ...or is the improvement on the change in terminology from what the colonial masters use to call it?

6 Likes

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Idokojimmy: 4:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
Commendable move
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by free2ryhme: 4:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
@ what stage of deliberations is the said bill
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Khayordhe: 4:16pm On Nov 29, 2012
Dat's gud....make dem expect more prisoners
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by younglad007(m): 4:17pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hmmm,interesting
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by 360command: 4:18pm On Nov 29, 2012
Nollywood una dey hear: 'i hereby sentence you to Xyears imprisonment with hard labour'

2 Likes

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 29, 2012
What is the difference between "hard" labour and "prison" labour?
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by enobong18: 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
Some members of the senate have come to realize the are going the soon, that is why the chosed to pass this bill... Shame on them!

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by pssword: 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
Peeps are looking after themselves here. They know that one day will be one day and they will soon find themselves behind bars too!
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by ucheheart(m): 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hmmm! No more prison breaks. Nigerians should also expect rise in crime rates since prisoners will still be living a normal life while in prison.
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by IYANGBALI: 5:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
This is a good move,now they are beginning to realise that prisons would be their next home
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by tunapawizzy: 5:38pm On Nov 29, 2012
pssword: Peeps are looking after themselves here. They know that one day will be one day and they will soon find themselves behind bars too!
EXACTLY
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by ifyalways(f): 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hard labour changed to prison labour, what's new
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by Clemzy16(m): 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Na dem sabi!! I've got no business with prison or being a prisoner.
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by baby124: 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Prisoners should do hard labour for the FG. Any labour they need. Afterall they are using tax money to keep them there. So they have to be useful to the society. They can make license plates, federal garbage bins and other things instead of FG spending billions to purchase these things. It helps them acquire skills and makes them useful when they get out. Prisoners should not be kept idle, otherwise the prisons will just be full. Who no wan chop and no work?
Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by sconsults: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
[size=13pt]AS AN INMATE OF KUJE PRISONS FOR 8 YEARS AND I CAN DEFIANTLY TELL YOU THAT HARD LABOR WAS THE MOST DIFFICULT THING I DID THERE.I AM HAPPY FOR THIS ALTHOUGH I AM STILL HOPING I WONT GO BACK TO PRISON AGAIN BUT IT IS NOT EASY embarassed[/size]

1 Like

Re: Senate - No More Hard Labour For Prisoners by trillville(m): 5:56pm On Nov 29, 2012
handmaid: @triville
some penalties, as provided for in our various penal/criminal codes, carry the option of fine while some do not. The section providing for the option of fine may also state the amount to be paid as fine, its not generally made at the discretion of the Court
What I am saying is that the penal/criminal code should do away with a specific amount a fine should be. Whenever there is an option of fine in a case, the court should be mandated to set the amount payable based on The prevailing minimum wage multiplied the number of months the convict should spend.

A 10,000 naira fine in the year 2000 does not have the same value today because of inflation. It just makes practical sense to peg fines to the minimum wage rather than to change the penal code every few years.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ipob Attack Yorubas In Aba / APC, PDP Trade Words Over 2019 Campaign Funds / Senate Passes 112 Toll-Free National Emergency Number, Awaiting Buhari’s Assent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.