Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,883 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? (5905 Views)

PLS HELP ME: Nissan Primera 2000 ATF, New Engine (thermostat Removed), n Coolant / Which Is Better, Rebuilding My Old Vtec Engine Or Buying A New Engine / Merits Of Repairing My Crankshaft Against Buying A New Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2012
It's a Camry 2000 model
Engine: 2.2L 5S-FE
Mileage: 181091 km

Key events:
A rattling sound from the engine (@ about 4000rpm) when entering a higher gear. Especially when I try to move very fast. No sound when I drive slower

I have to top the engine oil level once every 2 months, as against my other car that don,t need regular top-ups

Timing belt jumped 2x; November 2011, March 2012

A/C compressor is leaking

When a/c was working, engine over heats during use

I want to fix the a/c but was told the engine is weak because it was what came with the car and has jumped timing frequently. I'm not convinced, so how do I know the engine is weak? Do I really need to get a new engine if I need the a/c back on?
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
The Toyota 5S-FE engine is belt-driven, so that rules out a rattling timing chain.

From the way you describe the rattle, it sounds like either your crankshaft main bearings are worn, or even your connecting rod bearings. So the "rattling" is actually "knocking" from the bottom end.

Topping up your oil every 60 days. How many miles roughly do you cover in two months? Because in some high mileage engines, this would be the norm, due to either worn valve stem seals, or worn piston rings / bores. You could also have an external oil leak. Is there any evidence of oil where you park your car, or any blue smoke from your tailpipe under hard acceleration?

Timing belt jumping teeth is not a fault of the engine. It's mostly caused by a faulty tensioner, incorrect tensioner fitment. The 5S-FE engine tensioner is a simple affair - an eccentric idler, with a pull-spring (same as early Mazda engines). Was the timing belt replaced recently, prior to failure? Because when replacing the belt, the tensioner, spring and secondary idler MUS be replaced too. A stretched tensioner spring will allow excessive slack in the belt, allowing it to skip teeth.

It's also important to note, on the 5S-FE engine, the timing belt also drives the oil pump...

Aircon use causes engine to overheat...is your aircon fan working? if your condenser free of mud and other road debris? That's where I'll be concentrating. Compressor leaks usually occur at the suction and discharge pipe connections. There are O-ring seals. These O-rings MUST be green. Black ones are not designed to hold R134-A.

A tired engine has nothing to do with a timing belt jumping teeth. A mechanic that reasons that way deserves a bang on the head to reset his brain. If your bottom end is worn (as I suspect it is) the extra load the aircon compressor places upon it could finish the engine off. I would be looking at a replacement engine, from a reputable source.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 01, 2012
I usually move within the city, 2 to 5km per day, somedays I go up to 15km. I just noticed the bottom part of the engine close to the stabilizer rods at the passengers side got some oil (the part of the engine just above the ball joint)
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
n.oxide:
I usually move within the city, 2 to 5km per day, somedays I go up to 15km. I just noticed the bottom part of the engine close to the stabilizer rods at the passengers side got some oil (the part of the engine just above the ball joint)

Sounds like an oil leak from your oil pan gasket, or oil filter assembly. Could you photograph the area in question?
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 02, 2012
when you look from the direction of the blue arrow. . .

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 02, 2012
. . .this is what you'll see.

I hope you can make something off this

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by OROZ(m): 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
try do a steam wash, and resend the pictures again for a better view. note, engine does not die like that they have a life spam of 25 to 30 yrs depend on the usage, take the car to a computerized automobile workshop tell them u want to know the strength of ur car engine, for my company we use picoscope here in ph, you dont have to condemn ur engine till u get the result from a reliable computerized diagnosis automobile workshop. google picoscope and read about it to know what ur expected to see in the result, if u need further assistance u can reach me at 08034094226 for a professional assistance im in ph
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 05, 2012
i don't know any reliable autoshop in ph. I'll give it a shot anyway, for now i appreciate the fact the car can move with me and remain in one piece
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Tobiizzy(m): 5:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
Or you could run a compression test on the cylinders
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by speed001: 7:30pm On Dec 06, 2012
Tobiizzy: Or you could run a compression test on the cylinders

How do I run a compression test on the cylinders. Can I do it my self or tell my mechanic. But I doubt my mechanic would know it sha. Is dere a machine to do dis compression test and allso is dere a local way of doin it. Thanks
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Tobiizzy(m): 6:02am On Dec 07, 2012
You can do it yourself. You will need a cylinder compression test kit the kit costs about $30 ... Get the kit and the rest is easy ... Automedics has this kit for sale but don't know how much
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 09, 2013
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

finally installed a new engine. had it mounted last month and I got the ac running.

lemme share what i went thru fixing the ac this week

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2013
had to access the evaporator.

one hell of a job.

#the ac mech is gifted
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by me2me: 8:32am On Jan 10, 2013
hello n. oxide, pls can u post the contact number of the mechanic that fixed your ac as it seems he is competent. i have issues with my car ac which dosent cool at all and am tired of throwing money at it with no result. thanks.
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by dskenky(m): 2:11pm On Jan 11, 2013
pls help with the a/c man's phone number.
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 11, 2013
by the way i'm giving the unit one week to see if the job was properly done.

will give u a feedback.

i'll get his number, but he's in port harcourt. still interested?
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
promised feedback?! undecided

n.oxide:
by the way i'm giving the unit one week to see if the job was properly done.

will give u a feedback.

i'll get his number, but he's in port harcourt. still interested?
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 31, 2013
***modified**

3 months gone by. . .sorry I forgot about the thread. . Anyway the a.c never gave me issues after he fixed it.

Here's his number, 08137******, Felix

Happy easter all

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 02, 2013
n.oxide:
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL. finally installed a new engine. had it mounted last month

Belated Happy Easter bud!

Glad you got your engine sorted. If it's a used one, make sure you know the timing belt history. If it hasn't been replaced, budget to get it done, at a reputable shop, and keep on top of maintenance from now on.

All the best!
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2013
@Sienna can't a rattling engine or knocking sound from bottom be repaired? Please I will like to know your view.
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 18, 2013
smartchoice: @Sienna can't a rattling engine or knocking sound from bottom be repaired? Please I will like to know your view.

A rattling or knocking engine can be rebuilt. Knocking will most likely be worn crank bearings, or worn big-end bearings. How financially viable a repair will be depends on the crank journals. If the engine's been run with worn bearings for a while, the journals themselves may be damaged, and need a regrind, and the appropriate undersize bearing shells fitted. The same applies with worn big-end bearings.

Spun main bearings could damage the crank journals beyond what a regrind could rectify. Also, it's worth knowing a crank regrind is all about removing metal, so it'll be weaker than a standard one. And not all cranks can be reground, some only allow one undersize regrind, any more and it may not be possible to locate the required undersize shells.

Rattling or ticking could be broken piston rings. Again, if they've scoured the cylinder bores, the engine will require a hone, as long as the scouring isn't deep. If too deep, an overbore will be on the cards, with oversize pistons and rings to match.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for the quick response. So given that a rebuild will cost 35k and a replacement engine 45 to 50k what would you advice?
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 18, 2013
smartchoice: Thanks for the quick response. So given that a rebuild will cost 35k and a replacement engine 45 to 50k what would you advice?

Given the fact the average Nigerian mechanic can mess up a simple timing belt replacement on a 4 cylinder 8V engine, I would opt for a straight replacement engine.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 18, 2013
GBAM! END OF DISCUSSION! THANKS SIENNA ANOTHER PROB SOLVED BY YOUR INSIGHTFUL CONTRIBUTIONS.
Siena:

Given the fact the average Nigerian mechanic can mess up a simple timing belt replacement on a 4 cylinder 8V engine, I would opt for a straight replacement engine.
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
Don't want to open a new thread about an issue on a particular car.

Ok it's the car in the picture above. I recharged the ac with one can of Maxron r134a. My question is, do I still need to add compressor oil?

N/B: Can includes oil charge don't know if it means no need for compressor oil

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
you need to add oil to the commpressor IMO

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
^ ^ thanks
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by chukel(m): 2:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
n.oxide:
Don't want to open a new thread about an issue on a particular car.

Ok it's the car in the picture above. I recharged the ac with one can of Maxron r134a. My question is, do I still need to add compressor oil?

N/B: Can includes oil charge don't know if it means no need for compressor oil
Is dis the same car felix worked the AC?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 5:11am On Oct 02, 2013
how is the ac now?

n.oxide:
had to access the evaporator.

one hell of a job.

#the ac mech is gifted
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 27, 2013
chukel:
Is dis the same car felix worked the AC?
yes it is

smartchoice: how is the ac now?

not working now. Got involved in a crash that affected the condenser (bumped into someone's rear). Dust got in, ruined the system and I've not got enough cash to change the parts

N/B: A/C was in very good condition prior to the crash grin. Felix wasn't availabe to help me so I met someone else . . . otherwise I wouldn't have had these new problems
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 3:24am On Oct 27, 2013
Pls wait for felix!
Re: How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
He's available now, but I'm not ready

Have you met him?. . . just asking

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians In Shock As Us-based Man Shares Photos Of ”ladipo Market” In America / G-wagon Vs Range Rover Vs Benz GL450 Vs Land Cruiser / Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.