Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,986 members, 7,835,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? (1824 Views)

Biafra: Hausa In Onitsha Go Into Hiding- The Punch / The Notorious Boko Haram Kingpin Who Was Arrested Today By The Army..photos / Some Weapons Re-Captured From Boko Haram By The Army (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by biz4naija: 7:37pm On Dec 01, 2012
I have come to realize that majority of the Army are from the North, what could be the reason?
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by orufe: 7:47pm On Dec 01, 2012
There are no more Hausas than others. There may be more northers than others but that does not equate to more Hausas in the army.
The north has more states t4 more representation in the army
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 01, 2012
orufe: There are no more Hausas than others. There may be more northers than others but that does not equate to more Hausas in the army.
The north has more states t4 more representation in the army
what a weird comment! So because they have more states for that they should be more populated in the army? I hear you!
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by orufe: 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2012
berem: what a weird comment! So because they have more states for that they should be more populated in the army? I hear you!

They shouldn't but at Nigerian defence academy, admission is according to the states.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by GARRIx7(m): 8:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
Resource Control!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Afam4eva(m): 8:06pm On Dec 01, 2012
The sam reason why you have more Northerners(not just Hausas) in the army is the exact same reason why you have more northers in NTA and other government run establishment. Federal character is the name of the game.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Afam4eva(m): 8:06pm On Dec 01, 2012
GARRI (x7):
Resource Control!!!
What resource are they controlling?
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by GARRIx7(m): 8:25pm On Dec 01, 2012
afam4eva:
What resource are they controlling?
Don't you know that the NPF and the NA is their Oyel kompany

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 01, 2012
afam4eva: The sam reason why you have more Northerners(not just Hausas) in the army is the exact same reason why you have more northers in NTA and other government run establishment. Federal character is the name of the game.
abi o! You see them only in government establishments.i am yet to see a northern muslim who works in a bank(excluding unity bank).
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Don't you know that the NPF and the NA is their Oyel kompany
NPF i wont agree with you.i think all ethnic groups are well represented in the Police Force. But NA,the northerners have it all.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by geez1: 8:47pm On Dec 01, 2012
My guess is that most of Nigeria's military formations are in the north. Locals get to see them and are inspired by them. The National War College, the Nigerian Military School, The Air force Military School, The Nigerian Defense Academy etc. The northerners dominate the army and air force but you can't say the same for the Navy which has most of its formations down south.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Dede1(m): 11:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
@OP

It is very embarrassing that a Nigerian will vomit such a question and most respondents are dancing around it as if it fell from the sky. It was due to the nepotistic acts of Balewa’s administration since 1961 to have many northerners in the army which led to the first coup in Nigeria. When some of us agitate for equal number of states in each political zones of Nigeria, few moronic ninnies will describe such request as tribally induced.

Nigeria practices ill-informed federal character and quota system without making sure that the common denominator for such system, thus equal number of states in each federating zone, must be equal. Northerners would not have allowed such imbalance in number states in each political zone in Nigeria to exist. Even if it meant upgrading a LGA to Statehood in order to achieve equal number of states in south, northern politicians will do anything to destroy such imbalance. They would even employ the help of goofy southerners to make their bid.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by nduchucks: 11:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
Dede1: @OP

It is very embarrassing that a Nigerian will vomit such a question and most respondents are dancing around it as if it fell from the sky. It was due to the nepotistic acts of Balewa’s administration since 1961 to have many northerners in the army which led to the first coup in Nigeria. When some of us agitate for equal number of states in each political zones of Nigeria, few moronic ninnies will describe such request as tribally induced.

Nigeria practices ill-informed federal character and quota system without making sure that the common denominator for such system, thus equal number of states in each federating zone, must be equal. Northerners would not have allowed such imbalance in number states in each political zone in Nigeria to exist. Even if it meant upgrading a LGA to Statehood in order to achieve equal number of states in south, northern politicians will do anything to destroy such imbalance. They would even employ the help of goofy southerners to make their bid.

Quit your misinformation!! More Hausas have historically chosen the military profession than other ethnic groups - that's it!

Others prefer academics and other professions.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by lacasa: 12:40am On Dec 02, 2012
Its like asking why do we have more Igbos in business and more yorubas in banking undecided

Nairaland & Tribalism sha
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by lacasa: 12:49am On Dec 02, 2012
berem: abi o! You see them only in government establishments.i am yet to see a northern muslim who works in a bank(excluding unity bank).

Are Ɣou serious

Yr central bank governor (SLS) naa from where im com Now??

Dnt u кnoω he was a career banker wt UBA

And there r plenty like him, eg MD, keystone bank

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by captalex(m): 2:20am On Dec 02, 2012
Nigerian Defence Academy responsible for training nigerian military personnel is located in Kaduna, and as such increases their chances of enrolling into the armed forces.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Lasinoh: 6:03am On Dec 02, 2012
The Southerners dominate the Police Force(crooks). . . The Northerners dominate the army(terrorists)!
The Nigerian nonsensical war marginalized the credibility of the Southerners in the army.
Not to mention the coup of the 1960s. . .
All military academies are mainly in the North.
Can't say I blame them.
Once bitten, twice shy! kiss

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by kunlekunle: 6:06am On Dec 02, 2012
they are descendants of lord lugard.
west african frontier force to royal nigerian army to nigerian army.
he was the northern gov.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by ektbear: 6:07am On Dec 02, 2012

Yup.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by kunlekunle: 8:37am On Dec 02, 2012

The north before the amalgamation had the west african frontiers that was created by lugard to ward off the french expanding to the coast.
The middle beltans were of 90% of the force cos of thier education and the hausas 10% . most policies inherited from the colonial govt were mostly enforced by lugard through the colonial office. so their believe of superiority over other nigerians were brought forward since then till now.

My major concern is the enmity in the south with the vast knowledge and intelligence they are still in the 1920s politically.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Abagworo(m): 8:41am On Dec 02, 2012
That is why we are a country. The Northerners are our soldiers, the Calabars are our Policemen, The Southeasterners are our traders and the Southwesterners are our Taxi drivers. It is division of labour. Gaskiya.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 02, 2012
Abagworo: That is why we are a country. The Northerners are our soldiers, the Calabars are our Policemen, The Southeasterners are our traders and the Southwesterners are our Taxi drivers. It is division of labour. Gaskiya.
lol@SW are taxi drivers.bros you wicked o!
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by jamace(m): 10:16am On Dec 02, 2012
OP, we don't have more of the Hausas but more of the northerners in the military. Note that not all northern states are hausas. For instance the middlebelt. It may interest you to know that most northern soldiers are from the middlebelt states like Benue, Kogi,Nassarawa, Plateau,Taraba and others.
I may agree with you that these middlebelt states adopt hausa as their main language because of the numerous minority tribes they are made up of but they are not hausas in the real sense of the word.

Again, the north has 19 states out of the 36 states in Nigeria,this leaves only 17 states for the Igbos and yorubas. And since Nigeria practices the quota system, the north will definately outnumber the East (Igbos) and the West (Yorubas).

For those saying it is because most of the military institutions are located in the north, that is wrong. The institutions are located more in the north because the northerners were more liberal with land than the other parts of the country at the time of establishing these institutions.

OP,I hope you follow?
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by nduchucks: 10:23am On Dec 02, 2012
^^^^^ Please forgive NLers. If you've been coming to this section long enough, you would have realized that all Northerners are referred to as Hausas here, most posters are ignorant of the inaccuracy of that kind of characterization.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Afam4eva(m): 10:27am On Dec 02, 2012
jamace: OP, we don't have more of the Hausas but more of the northerners in the military. Note that not all northern states are hausas. For instance the middlebelt. It may interest you to know that most northern soldiers are from the middlebelt states like Benue, Kogi,Nassarawa, Plateau,Taraba and others.
I may agree with you that these middlebelt states adopt hausa as their main language because of the numerous minority tribes they are made up of but they are not hausas in the real sense of the word.

Again, the north has 19 states out of the 36 states in Nigeria,this leaves only 17 states for the Igbos and yorubas. And since Nigeria practices the quota system, the north will definately outnumber the East (Igbos) and the West (Yorubas).

For those saying it is because most of the military institutions are located in the north, that is wrong. The institutions are located more in the north because the northerners were more liberal with land than the other parts of the country at the time of establishing these institutions.

OP,I hope you follow?

I agree with everything except the bolded.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by jamace(m): 10:38am On Dec 02, 2012
afam4eva:
I agree with everything except the bolded.
Please, tell us why.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by Afam4eva(m): 10:58am On Dec 02, 2012
jamace: Please, tell us why.
Those institutions are located in the North because majority of those that were running the country were from that part of the country. There's no proof that the North was more liberal with land. If they were tell me why the British did not setup the University College, London in the North instead they went for Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:12am On Dec 02, 2012
lacasa: Its like asking why do we have more Igbos in business and more yorubas in banking undecided

Nairaland & Tribalism sha

^^^You're missing the point; banking and business are mainly private driven, while the military is a national/gov't institution whose intake should reflect a proper balance amongst the regions.
Re: Why Do We Have More Of The Hausa's In The Army? by UncleJJ(m): 1:39pm On Dec 02, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^You're missing the point; banking and business are mainly private driven, while the military is a national/gov't institution whose intake should reflect a proper balance amongst the regions.

He lacasa is not missing any point, you ARE !! Go to the east, and ask the guys in schools, how many of them would want to become soldiers... not many if you ask me.

Most of the guys in the east, want to drive N15million cars by 25 (go figure) - there are many more factors , i cant name them for the sake of peace.
The yoruba's are not as many in the military but, there's quite a large number in the Navy. - this i cant say why.

And, passing through the NDA is not like going to the market to buy palm oil. Most of the hausa guys who want to become soldiers had already attended NMS,NAFMS e.t.c . So, passing the NDA physical was a piece cake cos they are used to it. Nobody will deny any easterner admission to the NDA because he is an easterner or christian.

We have had two top ranking military men from the east so the case of "more hausa's northerner's in the military is simply because they want to be their and have taken steps to ensure they become a part of the system.

PS: Top ranking military men frm the Northern region are mostly from Benue,Plateau (lantan boyz) and Kaduna State's (kd mafia).

(1) (Reply)

As Amaechi Asks For Blood, Activist Tells Him To Start With His Children! / We Have A Lot Of Cowards In The Nigeria Army / Public Notice: My Traducers Clonned My Account To Get At Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.