Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,100 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Best Gear To Use In Traffic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Gear To Use In Traffic (10784 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / How Do I Secure The Gear To The Axle? / Changing Manual Gear To Auto(need Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Gear To Use In Traffic by laluski(m): 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2012
Hello everyone,
Pls I want to know what best gear to use in Traffic.Ikenna said something about the kind of gear you use in traffic that can be amongst problems in a toyota camry aspa auto tranny.That got me curios,cos I neva knew that Using the D-drive in Traffic could be a problem.Please Ikenna and sienna,advice us Novices as to what Gear to use.I drive a '94 camry and I have fallen a victim of transmission wahala.had to rekit it. Thank you
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Lexusgs430: 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2012
laluski: Hello everyone,
Pls I want to know what best gear to use in Traffic.Ikenna said something about the kind of gear you use in traffic that can be amongst problems in a toyota camry aspa auto tranny.That got me curios,cos I neva knew that Using the D-drive in Traffic could be a problem.Please Ikenna and sienna,advice us Novices as to what Gear to use.I drive a '94 camry and I have fallen a victim of transmission wahala.had to rekit it. Thank you

P or N!!!

2 Likes

Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 02, 2012
laluski: Hello everyone,

I'm not sure who misinformed you that using 'D' in traffic conditions will cause tranny issues. Unless you're not clear about "traffic." Do you mean slow-moving traffic, or stationary for extended periods, with 'D' selected?

Please clarify.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by laluski(m): 8:02pm On Dec 02, 2012
I meant go-slow.also I alotta times when am in a very very slow moving,heavy traffic,I used to off my car before puttin it in park or neutral,does this have or will it have any adverse effect on my car later in future.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2012
laluski: I meant go-slow.also I alotta times when am in a very very slow moving,heavy traffic,I used to off my car before puttin it in park or neutral,does this have or will it have any adverse effect on my car later in future.

Just put the lever into Drive, and leave it there. I'm curious to know who told you Drive would damage your transmission? What other gear would you select??
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by me2me: 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
Siena am afraid you are not correct on this one but ikenna is. Continuously using the "grin" position of your auto tranny in a snail moving bumper to bumper traffic will wear out your tranny faster (don't really want to say damage), and how do I know? I presently drive a honda baby boy and the owners manual (not with me as I write though) clearly recommend that when one is in heavy traffic, select the "D3" position rather than the regular "grin" (D4 for honda baby boy) in order to prolong the lifespan of the auto tranny (engage "N" when its called for). What bothers me though is that some cars simply have "P, R, N, D" positions on their auto trannies but I guess in such cases the "N" position will come to the rescue.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by me2me: 10:21pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sorry wherever you come across the grin symbol in my above post, replace it with the word "drive" as it seems the drive symbol cracks up nairalands system.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by laluski(m): 10:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
In the case of my '94 camry,after the 'N' is 'D',followed by '2' and 'L'.which shud I use in a slow moving traffic.please advice people as I can't bear spending another money on auto tranny again
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by me2me: 10:48pm On Dec 02, 2012
Well, I once owned a 97 camry and advise you alternate between the "drive" auto tranny position and "neutral" position in heavy traffic as the "2" position is for driving up hill (to build up quick momentum i.e. when you want to overtake) while "L" position is to reduce engine speed while descending steep hill, I think.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 02, 2012
me2me: Siena am afraid you are not correct on this one but ikenna is. Continuously using the "grin" position of your auto tranny in a snail moving bumper to bumper traffic will wear out your tranny faster (don't really want to say damage), and how do I know? I presently drive a honda baby boy and the owners manual (not with me as I write though) clearly recommend that when one is in heavy traffic, select the "D3" position rather than the regular "grin" (D4 for honda baby boy) in order to prolong the lifespan of the auto tranny (engage "N" when its called for). What bothers me though is that some cars simply have "P, R, N, D" positions on their auto trannies but I guess in such cases the "N" position will come to the rescue.

In that case, it would vary by manufacturer. The issues with leaving the lever in Drive, and stationary for prolonged periods HEAT. This is where the quality of ATF and the oil cooler come into play. If the oil cooler is not in good shape, or missing (I've seen some deleted, and the pipes simply looped) then the oil will literally fry the clutch bands. The same applies to dirty ATF.

Different torque converters have different "stall speeds." No this does not mean the engine will cut out. This is why the idle speed on an automatic is very important. Too high, and the load at idle, with a driving range selected will be huge, and more load means more heat. Lots of modern set-ups actually disengage drive completely regardless of selector lever position, if the gas pedal isn't depressed. These newer automatics will not "creep" if drive is engaged, and there's no need to shift back to neutral in traffic.

Another issue with automatic tranny failure is "control pressure." The gears are selected by oil pressure (with reverse using higher pressure). This is why some transmissions select reverse with a "jolt." The pressure build-up is greatest when moving from park or neutral to a driving range, and that is the most likely time to blow an internal seal. Once the drive has been taken up, the pressure drops.

I currently run a 2002 Audi S8 5-speed Tiptronic, mated to a high-output 4,2 V8. I never shift back to Neutral when in slow traffic, unless I'm going to be stationary for more than 3 minutes, and then I shift to Neutral to save fuel, not the tranny. I also work on a wide variety of automobile, and the most common cause of failure in an auto tranny, is clutch band damage, caused by filthy ATF, that is so dirty, it no longer performs a vital duty - cooling. Then low ATF (more on newer automatics that don't have dipsticks).

Some I rebuild myself, some real complex ones (like the AISIN units fitted to VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and some Japanese SUV's) I take to a dedicated transmission shop. I ask questions, including the one asked here - shifting the lever to Neutral to prolong the life of the tranny, if stationary for prolonged periods. The general consensus is not necessary. What will wear is the selector mechanism, or main pressure control seals internal to the transmission, that will require a strip-down anyway.

Every selector lever has Bleep,Bleep,Bleep manual shift cycles they will go through, before they (and the control pressure seals) become unserviceable. When this happens, you'll notice a delay before the drive is engaged, as failure progresses, the delays get longer (requiring the gas pedal to be depressed). And engagement will become rough, and jerky.

If your instruction manual says shift to neutral or park when stationary, then by all means, do so. I tend to go by Technical Bulletins. No automobile manufacturer wants to be responsible for warranty claims, and as such, will cover all angles, when their Owner's Manuals are printed.

Failure in ZF5/6 units is common in Range Rover, Jaguar, Audi, BMW etc is a big issue, because the vehicle manufacturer's didn't give a maintenance shedule, and simply said the fluid is "filled for life." Which was NOT the case. ZF, the manufacturer of their transmissions, stated that a fluid change every 60,000 miles is required. Now newer model Audi, BMW, Range Rover, Jaguar etc now go by this, and failures have reduced. Nothing to do with where the lever is left.

The reason I've mentioned this is just to make owners aware, there's a lot printed in the Owner's Manual that shouldn't be there. And a lot missing that SHOULD be there. It's all up to individual owners to decide what works best for them.

Happy motoring!

2 Likes

Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 02, 2012
Positions D, D2, D3, L etc are all forward driving ranges, and the control pressure to engage them remains the same. The only difference is load. So will be different for descending or as ascending hills or gradients. Mostly applicable to Japmobiles.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by nedu2000(m): 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
Put ur gear on 'Drive' and gradually release ur foot 4rm ur brake dats all......
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by fittty(m): 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
smiley
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 03, 2012
Use the 2nd gear, for a manual car. 1st gear if its really really slow. If u use 1st gear in a not so bad traffic you'll end up stalling.
I realise you drive automatic, this is for manual car drivers

1 Like

Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Wendyslim(f): 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2012
Shuttle neutral & d3
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Fruittyswaqboii(m): 1:22pm On Dec 03, 2012
Thanks for the knowledge all smiley
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by hardbody: 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2012
@OP, did u go through a driving school? If yes, Just go back to your teacher and ask him.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by oses4u(m): 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
Pls wats the diff btw D1,D2, and D3
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by igbsam(m): 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2012
I shuttle between D (when traffic is moving slow) and N ( when i stopped ). I hardly make use of 1 and 2 and D3. I drive a Honda EOD 2003.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by markus1133: 1:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
i'd say 2
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
oses4u: Pls wats the diff btw D1,D2, and D3

Bro, I've posted the uses here. Read through all the other responses, and you'll find your answer.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Mcfemad(m): 1:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
hardbody: @OP, did u go through a driving school? If yes, Just go back to your teacher and ask him.

This is very silly of you..., i doubt if you've ever driven a car.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by salolo(m): 1:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
gear one
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 03, 2012
Mcfemad: This is very silly of you..., i doubt if you've ever driven a car.

Why would you say he's silly? His question's pretty valid. And considering his question was directed at the OP, not you, why the abuse?
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by nxanadu: 2:37pm On Dec 03, 2012
Reverse and take a shot cut. 'R'
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by larrymoore(m): 3:00pm On Dec 03, 2012
me2me: Well, I once owned a 97 camry and advise you alternate between the "drive" auto tranny position and "neutral" position in heavy traffic as the "2" position is for driving up hill (to build up quick momentum i.e. when you want to overtake) while "L" position is to reduce engine speed while descending steep hill, I think.
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by warrikid(m): 3:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
me2me: Well, I once owned a 97 camry and advise you alternate between the "drive" auto tranny position and "neutral" position in heavy traffic as the "2" position is for driving up hill (to build up quick momentum i.e. when you want to overtake) while "L" position is to reduce engine speed while descending steep hill, I think.
Who no dey drive pass hill nko?
Re: Best Gear To Use In Traffic by ifeT(m): 3:35pm On Dec 03, 2012
warrikid:
Who no dey drive pass hill nko?

Ur profile name says it all. Mtchewwwwww

(1) (2) (Reply)

Diy: Immobiliser Delete On Bosch Motronic Me 7.5 Ecu (audi A4 B5 Facelift) / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons / Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.