Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians (13841 Views)

Abuja Aka Roc City, The City Built By Nigerians Not The British!! / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom / What Do You Think Of America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 02, 2012
Nigerians often thin the ANYWHERE is better than Nigeria and that the ideal place to be is America. Nigerians you have thought WRONG
1. There aren't any jobs
2. It's not a land of Money on the streets
3. You have to work at least 58 hrs/wk to afford a decent living
4. Racism is a major issue
5. America is not the best country in the world
6. People are suffering. some people don't even see a meal to eat. People are becoming poorer taxes are getting higher job openings are getting smaller its not the ideal place to be [size=24pt]nothing is FREE everything has a catch especially in the U.S.[/size] Nigerians need to stop patronizing countries they dont belong to and need to stay in Nigeria and make a change and [size=20pt]stop being negative.[/size]

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Ugosample(m): 9:19pm On Dec 02, 2012
Who are you telling this cock and bull story? So the people in Nigeria arent enough to develop Nigeria? America is not heaven, you work for everything you get which is good because a country is built with hardwork, not llaziness like many youths in Nigeria exhibit. Life is all about choices, if you appreciate hard work, them amerrica is the right place for you, but if you appreciate mediocrity, connections, etc, then Nigeria is a perfect place for you!

18 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Caseless: 11:57pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ugosample: Who are you telling this cock and bull story? So the people in Nigeria arent enough to develop Nigeria? America is not heaven, you work for everything you get which is good because a country is built with hardwork, not llaziness like many youths in Nigeria exhibit. Life is all about choices, if you appreciate hard work, them amerrica is the right place for you, but if you appreciate mediocrity, connections, etc, then Nigeria is a perfect place for you!
u mean there is no 'connection' and 'mediocrity' in america? If you think the youth in this country are lazy, then where is the job/work for them to engage in? Nigerian youths are enterpreneurs and natural hustlers, but they lack the gov't's support and an enabling environment to carry out this like it is out there in america.

7 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by StellaBella(f): 4:51am On Dec 03, 2012
America is a country defined by hardwork,
you WORK hard, you EARN hard cash regardless of your race, your creed or your sex.
Nigeria is still young and we will get there.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 03, 2012
Stella_Bella: America is a country defined by hardwork,
you WORK hard, you EARN hard cash regardless of your race, your creed or your sex.
Nigeria is still young and we will get there.

And that's the misconception there are people who get fired just for being bald or for being of a different race. I know this I live here in America in the Bronx,NY to be exact. But you're right Nigeria will get there.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 03, 2012
Ofonagoro :

And that's the misconception there are people who get fired just for being bald or for being of a different race. I know this I live here in America in the Bronx,NY to be exact. But you're right Nigeria will get there.

Come back bro...Why do u waste ur time in NY when Nigeria is booming? Why and why?

8 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by StellaBella(f): 10:06am On Dec 03, 2012
[xavtquote author=Ofonagoro ]

Well, you cannot look like MIKE TYSON and expect to work at a bank or daycare.
Dude, you should know that your self impression should reflect your job.

I still believe racism in America has got nothing to do with job hunting. Try UAE.
DUBAI to be exact. Your NATIONALITY determines EVERYTHING.
Like I said before, NIGERIAN WILL GET THERE.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by StellaBella(f): 10:16am On Dec 03, 2012
caseless: u mean there is no 'connection' and 'mediocrity' in america? If you think the youth in this country are lazy, then where is the job/work for them to engage in? Nigerian youths are enterpreneurs and natural hustlers, but they lack the gov't's support and an enabling environment to carry out this like it is out there in america.
Always blaming the Govt.
Support this. Support that.
What freaking happened to Substitence farming. Fishing. palm wine tapping. Shoe maker, obioma and wheel barrow pushing. Since everyone wanna be THA BOSS IN THA CITY PINGING ON BB.
Nigeria youth got a LONG WAY TO GO.

5 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Caseless: 11:24am On Dec 03, 2012
Stella_Bella:
Always blaming the Govt.
Support this. Support that.
What freaking happened to Substitence farming. Fishing. palm wine tapping. Shoe maker, obioma and wheel barrow pushing. Since everyone wanna be THA BOSS IN THA CITY PINGING ON BB.
Nigeria youth got a LONG WAY TO GO.
ofcourse, i shld blame the gov't. Nobody is saying the gov't shld spoon-feed the youths, but all we are askin for is for the gov't to create an enabling environment/avenue for intending farmers, palmwine tappers and shoe makers to push through. Against all odds, we stil have people who are stil in the aforementioned jobs, but jst imagine how lucrative it wld've looked with gov't support. Gov't all over the world do this for the SMEs , so asking for that is not something too much, i guess.

Abi u nor wan be tha BOSS in tha CITY pinging on BB?
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 03, 2012
ferdimako:

Come back bro...Why do u waste ur time in NY when Nigeria is booming? Why and why?

I'm coming back next July when my house in Abuja will be done.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by StellaBella(f): 8:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
caseless: ofcourse, i shld blame the gov't. Nobody is saying the gov't shld spoon-feed the youths, but all we are askin for is for the gov't to create an enabling environment/avenue for intending farmers, palmwine tappers and shoe makers to push through. Against all odds, we stil have people who are stil in the aforementioned jobs, but jst imagine how lucrative it wld've looked with gov't support. Gov't all over the world do this for the SMEs , so asking for that is not something too much, i guess.

Abi u nor wan be tha BOSS in tha CITY pinging on BB?
What can NIGERIANS do for NIGERIA??
Goverment cannot solve all papa Nkechi, mama yemisi and mallam Hasan problems.
So how do we move forward??

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Caseless: 1:10am On Dec 04, 2012
Stella_Bella:
What can NIGERIANS do for NIGERIA??
Goverment cannot solve all papa Nkechi, mama yemisi and mallam Hasan problems.
So how do we move forward??
thank u for this wonderful question. You see, nigerians are naturally patriotic and generous towards nigeria, if not for the distortion caused to that aspect of our lives by poor leadership we've suffered from over the year.what nigerians need is not much; give them constant power supply,good roads and water...and u'd shocked at the kind of return u will see them giving back to this country. Nigerians are modest, thankful,easy to guide, happy, religious,patriotic,enterpreneur,hustlers,brilliant ,etc, I think this is all u need in a population of a country to get the best frm them...but poor leadership have prevented us from taking advantage of these attributes u find among nigerians.so, we can move forward when we get our leadership right.

11 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by tosrich(m): 6:29am On Dec 04, 2012
Ofonagoro :
Nigerians often thin the ANYWHERE is better than Nigeria and that the ideal place to be is America. Nigerians you have thought WRONG
1. There aren't any jobs
6. People are suffering. some people don't even see a meal to eat. People are becoming poorer taxes are getting higher job openings are getting smaller its not the ideal place to be [size=24pt]nothing is FREE everything has a catch especially in the U.S.[/size] Nigerians need to stop patronizing countries they dont belong to and need to stay in Nigeria and make a change and [size=20pt]stop being negative.[/size]

Bro, I live in America and most of the things you wrote are not the case in the state I live.... let me start with food, In the state I am, food is the cheapest thing you can ever think of and it does'nt cost much get your house filled up with food stuffs and other groceries.

The issue of racism is not an excuse, a lot of Nigerian here are making it big and doing white colar job in multi-national companies.

America is a land of opportunity where you can be what you wanna be without any limitation.
That you have to work for 58hrs per week before you can have a three square meal is a far from the truth...

pls. do your homework well before you post unverifiable information...

18 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by ektbear: 10:52am On Dec 04, 2012
Ofonagoro :

1. There aren't any jobs
The unemployment rate in my industry, in my area is like 2%. This is a lot better than many other places.

Sure, no place is.

Well, this is false. And it really just depends on how much money you make per hour.

I've not been affected by it personally, i dunno.

Agreed. But the better countries (Monaco and the like) are very difficult for most Africans to move to.

America is pretty good (top 10, 20 standard of living), and most importantly relatively EASY to enter and get situated.

7 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 04, 2012
U av to work for 58hrs a wk to get a decent living? Hw is dat a problem? In Nigeria, dere r ppl dt do so but d result is NOTHING. N some dont work as much n av got evrythin,let me ask, hw many senators r working on dier senatorial zones in Nigeria? Guy,bone dat thing. America is far better

11 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by timbros(m): 10:59am On Dec 04, 2012
tosrich:

Bro, I live in America and most of the things you wrote are not the case in the state I live.... let me start with food, In the state I am, food is the cheapest thing you can ever think of and it does'nt cost much get your house filled up with food stuffs and other groceries.

The issue of racism is not an excuse, a lot of Nigerian here are making it big and doing white colar job in multi-national companies.

America is a land of opportunity where you can be what you wanna be without any limitation.
That you have to work for 58hrs per week before you can have a three square meal is a far from the truth...

Who i go believe now? OP or tosrich?

Make una stop all this confusion ooo...

Allow me sef go see amelica and become a biggie boi too cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by iamswizz(m): 11:02am On Dec 04, 2012
This cant stop me frm nt goin to yankee

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Rooneyboy(m): 11:05am On Dec 04, 2012
all I know Is I will rather remain a first class citizen in my country than a second class citizen in some other country.

I prefer my Nigeria pls.

4 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Rooneyboy(m): 11:11am On Dec 04, 2012
I definitely do know myself, I would kill the white man with my bare hands if he racially abuses me.

I'm not ready to commit murder, until then will I consider going to amerika.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 04, 2012
What about China? Can I live d boss' life in China? :p
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by dadicvila(m): 11:23am On Dec 04, 2012
As long as they have steady electricity,Good roads,armed robbers dont knock on their doors every night,boko haram dont bomb them every sunday in their churches,they have good schools and anybody who works will be paid and not fed cock and bull stories like in Naija then its better than Naija....OP forget this your story,if America is as bad as you paint it people wunt be waiting and begging for years for their Visas,20yr old Nigerian men wunt be getting married to American women old enough to be their grandmothers....

9 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 04, 2012
@OP shut up joor!!!

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by ITbomb(m): 11:29am On Dec 04, 2012
For Nigeria, we believe in Federal Character, we even have a federal funded commission for that.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by kelly72: 11:32am On Dec 04, 2012
I have read lots of caveat about America from Nigerians who have experienced it. I think these warnings are true. But would America-crazy Nigerians believe them? I know people in USA who have not com home in the last 15 years, maybe because the flight ticket is too dear plus they are ashamed that their contemporaries at home seem to be doing better. I will visit America soon, but only for business or pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by milliams(m): 11:32am On Dec 04, 2012
NA WA OOOO, WE ARE JUST FOOLINGLY OURSELVES IN THIS COUNTRY..... IF AMERICA IS NOT GOOD WHY ARE OUR WEALTHY POLITICIANS STEALING AND HIDING MONEY IN HEAVEN (AMERICA AS A SAFE HEAVEN)...

LET THAT IDIOT THAT SAYS AMERICA IS NOT BETTER TAHN NIGERIA, WIN AMERICA VISA LOTTERY. PERHAPS S/HE WILL STILL STAY IN A COUNTRY THAT THE STANDARD OF LIVING IS LESS THAN $2 PER DAY.

ABEG, DON'T DULL ANYONE.

A FRIEND OF MINE JUST CAME BACK ON SALLAH DAY IN OCTOBER, 2012 AFTER JUST A THREE (3) TRAINING WITH A DIFFERENT PERCEPTION ABOUT THE PLACE.

HE PLAYED AND DID SOME JOB SHOPPING JUST TO HEAR HOW MUCH COMPANIES MAY BE WILL TO PAY FOR HIS SERVICES, IF HE WANT TO STAY. IMAGINE $75,000 p.a(=N=12MILLION NAIRA) SALARY FOR ACCOUNTANT IN AN INSURANCE COMPANY THAT IS PAYING 3CENT EVERY QUARTER.

THAT IS A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK WITH... FOR NAIJA, NA OIL COMPANIES GO PAY THAT KIND SALARY...

ABEG NOBODY SHOULD LISTEN TO THAT GUY AND NA LADY SAYING AMERICA IS NOT GOOD. FOR BETTER EDUCATION SEND YOUR KIDS THERE, EDUCATION IS FREE IN SOME STATES THERE.

I HAVE FRIENDS WITH AMERICA VISA LOTTERY LIVING THERE...
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by pappilo(m): 11:54am On Dec 04, 2012
Another one that didnt make the grade takes to Nairaland to vent his frustration. Is this the same US where the son of a kenyan immigrantis a 2 term president. Spin it how you like but it is a fact that Nigeria will never provide the same standard of living/ opportunities for its citizens as obtained in countries like the US.

My mum has staff that do 65 -70 hours a week over 6 days, no annual leave or public holidays (except Xmas day) and earn N15 - N20,000 per month.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2012
kelly72: I have read lots of caveat about America from Nigerians who have experienced it. I think these warnings are true. But would America-crazy Nigerians believe them? I know people in USA who have not com home in the last 15 years, maybe because the flight ticket is too dear plus they are ashamed that their contemporaries at home seem to be doing better. I will visit America soon, but only for business or pleasure.
No, maybe they are scared of all the sh*t that happens in Nigeria.
caseless: u mean there is no 'connection' and 'mediocrity' in america? If you think the youth in this country are lazy, then where is the job/work for them to engage in? Nigerian youths are enterpreneurs and natural hustlers, but they lack the gov't's support and an enabling environment to carry out this like it is out there in america.
Haha...it seems you have tried starting up ventures. The amount of bottlenecks created by ministry workers is enough to hate the country. They most times demand for bribe that is times 5 of the original cost of approval of license to operate. But we can only blame ourselves, since some of these officials are our family and friends. There is so much corruption right from the presidency to the LGA's. Nigerians are not lazy abroad. They work harder than nationals of their host country and they are rewarded well.
dadicvila: As long as they have steady electricity,Good roads,armed robbers dont knock on their doors every night,boko haram dont bomb them every sunday in their churches,they have good schools and anybody who works will be paid and not fed cock and bull stories like in Naija then its better than Naija....OP forget this your story,if America is as bad as you paint it people wunt be waiting and begging for years for the Visas,20yr old Nigerian men wunt be getting married to American women old enough to be their grandmothers....
You forgot to add the most important facility. Good hospitals and medical care. That's enough reason for anyone to migrate. No wonder how leaders are always running to Europe or Amelica to treat common cold.

2 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by pappilo(m): 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2012
kelly72: I have read lots of caveat about America from Nigerians who have experienced it. I think these warnings are true. But would America-crazy Nigerians believe them? I know people in USA who have not com home in the last 15 years, maybe because the flight ticket is too dear plus they are ashamed that their contemporaries at home seem to be doing better. I will visit America soon, but only for business or pleasure.

What a dumb way to reason. I dont go home because I spent the first 25 years of my life there and I have had eneough. My money is spent seeing other beautiful places in the world. I only go home when there there is an event which needs me to be present. I am going to Naija in 2 weeks and as the day draws closer I become more unhappy. Thoughts go through my head of all the evil that could befall one in that pit.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by femliany(m): 12:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
Atleast America is better than Nigeria where Oligarchy is taken to mean Democracy
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by GentleNaaz(m): 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2012
Its beta 2 b cryn inside a jeep dan 2 b smiling on a bicycle
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by omenziate(m): 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2012
@OP, who u wan dey deceive?
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by dasparrow: 12:34pm On Dec 04, 2012
tosrich:

This is the problem I have with many Nigerians abroad. Just because things are cheap in your city and you are doing well does not mean it is the same all over America and with everyone. I have lived in America for over 13 years, went to college here and everything. America used to be good back in the late nineties but everything has changed now. There are indeed no jobs for the most part except maybe in the medical field. Most jobs - especially manufacturing, IT and customer service - are being shipped abroad to China, Malaysia, Philippines and the likes.

I know of a white American guy who came boasting to us that he has finally secured a good IT job in Canada after years of not finding a job in his home country of USA. He spoke negatively about his country the same way many Nigerians speak negatively about Nigeria and he was so glad that he was moving to Canada. A friend of mine lives in New York, an accountant by profession. She quit her job so that she can have her son and take care of him. Till now - over a year later - she has not found a job. She has credit card debts up to her neck. Her husband has a good job but yet the bills (mortgage payment, credit card payment, electricity, water, car payment etc) is eating deep into her husband's monthly income.

Some people indeed do have to work more than 40 hours a week because the money they are making from one job is not enough to cover the bills. I know of a Nigerian male in California - Los Angeles to be precise - who committed suicide right there in L.A He has been living in America since the mid eighties. He had a liquor store that was doing very well in the past but sales plummeted when the economic recession began. Then he had to close shop. He has not been able to visit Nigeria in years. However, his mom died and he could not afford a dime to send to Nigeria for the burial. That was how he took his life.

So my point is, things are hard in America now. Even those born and bred in America are finding it difficult to find a decent paying job much less someone who came directly from Nigeria with a thick Nigerian accent, an African name which most Americans are often times unwilling to try to pronounce and so on. As a christian, I believe in telling Nigerians in Nigeria the truth so that if they do choose to come to the USA, they will have realistic expectations.

Many Nigerians in America don't want to tell the truth because they want to come back to Nigeria and boast. What most Nigerians in Nigeria don't know is that many residents in America are neck deep in debt. Their mates in Nigeria are building their homes in Nigeria and elsewhere with raw cash while those with homes in America for the most part are drowning in mortgage debt. If they cannot keep up with their monthly mortgage payments, the house goes into foreclosure irrespective of how much one has already paid towards the house.

All that glitters is indeed not gold.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Fuel Tankers Collide In Benue State. 4 Dead (Photos) / Three Die, 2 Missing In Lagos Boat Mishap / Pictures Of Gabon!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.