Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity (6531 Views)

2015 Budget: Rich Nigerians To Pay More For Luxurious Lifestyle / FG Announces N213bn Intervention Funds For Electricity Companies / Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by tilewill(m): 9:51pm On Feb 14, 2008
What a heck! Dr Rilwanu Lukman!!! l'm just tired  of  these names
l've been hearing since my tender age. we'd never get
any goodies from all these "halve-gones" except misfortunes. Simple
power supply they refused to give the populace. meen, this their "pay
more" action is really to rouse the anger of  people in general.  they
didn't  do anything about improving it, rather, they're to earn more.
what a shame! thank God they have their stand-by generators, as they
think; the noicy environs doesn't irritate them each time the neighborhood
is terribly conquered by their so called gens.
Either privitisation or otherwise, these ppl are ready to distroy!!!

sad embarassed angry
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by FKseun(m): 10:46pm On Feb 14, 2008
With all due respect, a lot of you should shut up! We keep giving laughable reasons for our backwardness. Agreed, the rot in the power sector occurred over decades. But we are talking of the speed age! We are flaring gas in this country because we do not have the capacity to store them. Burning million of dollars! SHELL in PH does not use NEPA, it powers its residential and industrial area using gas turbines. ELF Petroleum has about 2 or 3 mighty gas turbines servicing the whole of Obagi and its environs in Rivers state. What does it take to have gas turbines all over nigeria? We can't do it because we are corrupt! The former Governor of Rivers State, Peter Odili deceived everybody by bringing his cohort, Obasanjo to commission a gas turbine that is not generating anything. Port Harcourt, even the street where the turbine is located, is in darkness. Billions of Naira went down the drain. He told everyone that it was going to serve Port Harcourt city. Almost all the companies in Trans Amadi, a few metres away from where Odili's gas turbine is, are all running diesel generators. It's a shame on this country. The whole of Bonny Island in Rivers State is enjoying uninterrupted power supply due to the benevolence of NLNG (Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas) company. It's turbines are working! Despite the more than $15billion pumped into NEPA, it is still DEAD! I only get electricity for about 1hr every 2 or 3 days and a still get a constant bill that never reduces. Let them put the power sector in good shape before talking about increasing the tarrif. Nigeria has become a dumping ground for all sorts of generators. Just imagine the litres of fuel we burn every day just to be able to iron our clothes, chill our water, preserve our soup, watch TV (if need be), pump water to our overhead reservoirs, etc. May God destroy the homes of all those hampering the progress of this nation.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by deor03(m): 11:20pm On Feb 14, 2008
The truth is that by now all this spent ( don't really know where they were spent def NOT for nigerian) old lay about, should just find somewhere to go and sit.

The banking industry is a clear example between , what THAT (pre independence) generation has to offer and what the present generation is offering. These men have tried and failed.
Electricity generation is not rocket science. You do not need research to generate or distribute energy. It all about getting gas to power steam turbines and that is all!!!!!

Get transmission line to get power from the power stattion to distribution zones we'll all have electricity. It's sad sha. very sad. We nigerian will not forgive theses men. They are a set of wasted generation!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 11:46pm On Feb 14, 2008
The average nigerian home already pays so much more for electricity than people who actually have 24/7 power supply do.

FKseun:

With all due respect, a lot of you should shut up! We keep giving laughable reasons for our backwardness. Agreed, the rot in the power sector occurred over decades. But we are talking of the speed age! We are flaring gas in this country because we do not have the capacity to store them. Burning million of dollars! SHELL in PH does not use NEPA, it powers its residential and industrial area using gas turbines. ELF Petroleum has about 2 or 3 mighty gas turbines servicing the whole of Obagi and its environs in Rivers state. What does it take to have gas turbines all over nigeria? We can't do it because we are corrupt! The former Governor of Rivers State, Peter Odili deceived everybody by bringing his cohort, Obasanjo to commission a gas turbine that is not generating anything. Port Harcourt, even the street where the turbine is located, is in darkness. Billions of Naira went down the drain. He told everyone that it was going to serve Port Harcourt city. Almost all the companies in Trans Amadi, a few metres away from where Odili's gas turbine is, are all running diesel generators. It's a shame on this country. The whole of Bonny Island in Rivers State is enjoying uninterrupted power supply due to the benevolence of NLNG (Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas) company. It's turbines are working! Despite the more than $15billion pumped into NEPA, it is still DEAD! I only get electricity for about 1hr every 2 or 3 days and a still get a constant bill that never reduces. Let them put the power sector in good shape before talking about increasing the tarrif. Nigeria has become a dumping ground for all sorts of generators. Just imagine the litres of fuel we burn every day just to be able to iron our clothes, chill our water, preserve our soup, watch TV (if need be), pump water to our overhead reservoirs, etc. May God destroy the homes of all those hampering the progress of this nation.

Thank you very much for that line at least. I mean we do live in the speed age when things get done in a twinkling of an eye self, if government really wanted to get it done. Problem is when it comes to Nigeria or some backward african nation out there, we have people who come up with books full of excuses and they do not understand this actually aids the current situation than it does heal it.

The problem has been decades in the making, so has the claim to solve the problem. Both decades in the making. So I see no reason why we are still claiming the problem only has been decades in the making and that should be reason to wait a while longer. I mean this same problem has been addressed most every single month in that country for the past 2 decades. Addressed in the sense that one solution or another has been in the pipeline( naija style) to tackle the problem from the very beginning.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Afam(m): 11:53pm On Feb 14, 2008
Kobojunkie:

The average nigerian home already pays so much more for electricity than people who actually have 24/7 power supply do.

Can the statement above be substantiated or must people just come up with crazy statements that may just be outright lies?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by PurestBoy(m): 1:06am On Feb 15, 2008
Great Fela Anikulapo had foretold this but you people said he was mad, So who is mad now? Na old news be that, Abed make we talk of something better
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by bawomolo(m): 3:33am On Feb 15, 2008
do nigerians actually pay for electricity??. the last time i checked, nigerians actually owed NEPA/PHCN billions of naira while NEPA owed NNPC billions 2 lol.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by zukkie4eva(f): 8:36am On Feb 15, 2008
It is well. . . Naija go beta one day. . .
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Sijien(m): 10:22am On Feb 15, 2008
amigoes:

hear them,
", South Africa,which had surplus power capacity a few years ago now experiences problem, "

How come these people can't have a better example, Ghana celebrated full year of uninterrupted power supply sometimes ago, our leaders cannot strive towards such lofty goal,

, countries must therefore continously strive to upgrade capacity,improve infrastructure, blah, blah , blah, like OBJ did in his 8yrs reign.

The point is increasing bills can't solve Nigerias problem. It is rooted in corruption and it is endemic!
Solve the problem of corruption in this nation and I'm telling you over 70% of our problems are gone!

shey, but then dey now took light during mali vs benin in nations cup.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 10:47am On Feb 15, 2008
, rooted in serious corruption that needs to be dealt with first and foremost. We do not need 50 years to deal with corruption in africa, infact, the corruption level can be reduced in that continent in a matter of 1 year IF and I say IF we are serious, cause we seem to have too many mouth service politicians and little action oriented folks down there. To get power in a country like Nigeria, tremendous headway can be made in a matter of 6MONTHS, yes, 6 MONTHS IF and again IF we are really serious. We keep buying this idea from these politicians that it will take so many years to see result in this area or that but the true reality is that in this day and age it is possible to improve power supply in a matter of months IF we are serious about getting the job done and getting it done right two. We have places like China where Power plants go up in a matter of months and we are in Nigeria talking about how it will take us years to change things. Na wa ooo!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Epiphany(m): 11:20am On Feb 15, 2008
Why is it that things happen this way in Naija?
Pay more for which electricity? Its the same way that the price of fuel is always increased, when there is no constant supply of the stuff. The price of food always goes up, while the quantity and quality is reduced.
Isn't it about time our 'Moses' arises and leads us out of this yeye 'Egypt'?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by oldie(m): 11:27am On Feb 15, 2008
Actually the average Nigerian does not pay for electricity.
The average Nigerian does not pay for his/her bills
He/she thinks electricity should be free and should be part of his/her national cake share
We pay more for not having electricity
The average house-hold with a generator pays about N1,000 - N2,000 a week, running the generator
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by topkin(m): 11:53am On Feb 15, 2008
If the electricity will be stable, no problem, then charges can be paid but if not, they shuldnt xpct Nigerians to pay an extra kobo!!! angry
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by sleekmike(m): 12:12pm On Feb 15, 2008
That is his personal opinion.
So that they will have more to
carry abroad.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ndubest(m): 12:26pm On Feb 15, 2008
They should better install the pay as you go meters soonest

am tired of paying this "estimated" bills sad sad

PHCN officials will never come and take the meter readings but stay in their office to estimate what i will consumed in one month
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by zukkie4eva(f): 12:51pm On Feb 15, 2008
Dats true ooo!!, they dont come to read meters again o!!!. . . ee go beta sha. . . undecided
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by JJay1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 15, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks people such as Rilwan Lukman, Ciroma, Alhaji Alhaji, Amos Adamu etc that have been running Nigeria for almost 50 years should banned from holding any public posts or even talking in public.

I am an ardent believer that the Nigerian power sector should be privatised, this was what Tinubu was trying to do in Lagos that OBJ frustrated him, what happened eventually, OBJ spent $10billion (or is it ($16billion) part of which was to implement private sector in the power sector, upon all these amount spent nothing spectacular to show for it.

All these crooks in govt are telling us that it is not possible to privatise the power sector because they know the avenue for stealing via NEPA will end, they said exactly same thing about communication many years back that privatisng the telephone business will not work in Nigeria, we can all see they are wrong, I remember those days that NITEL officials were so powerful that it takes serious connections, long leg and a lot of bribing just to get a telephone in the house/office, nowadays a 7 years hold has probably never heard a NITEL phone ring in his/her life,

Alll the govt "fat cows" know that privatisation will spell doom for them as common man will be free from their claws

Even the British Gas in the UK does not belong to the British govt
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by seyyk: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2008
me, i want to ask what are they using all the money we pay for bills for.(what is the money for ) urrrrrrrrrrrrr,GOD help us so that Nigeria can Grow again.WHAT AN ELECTRICITY SYSTEM WE HAVE IN NIGERIA.(I DO NOT UNDERSTAND)
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Feb 15, 2008
oldie:

Actually the average Nigerian does not pay for electricity.
The average Nigerian does not pay for his/her bills
He/she thinks electricity should be free and should be part of his/her national cake share
We pay more for not having electricity
The average house-hold with a generator pays about N1,000 - N2,000 a week, running the generator

There are many nigerian homes that pay for electricity, as little as they can get. Some homes pay as much as 8000 a month to get about 3 to 5 hours of electricity a day.
For those who depend on generators for electricity, spending about 1000 to 2000 a week still gives them just less than 10 hours of electricity a day since many of them turn it off after so many hours or at night for one reason or another.

People outside of Nigeria who enjoy 24 hours of electricity with rarely any interuptions, pay an average of Naira 4000 a month for the electricity they enjoy. When compared to what is being paid by those who

Whichever way you slice and dice it, it still remains that for electricity, the average Nigerian home pays more for it and it should not be so. There are some places where the nepa boys come to bully the people into bribing them every other month just so they can keep getting the 2 or so hours of electricity they get each day. Imagine paying Naira 1000 a week for about 7 hours of electricity each day,  increase that to 24 hours output and imagine how much more the bill would be each week for that same person now paying 1000- 2000. We already pay too much in electricity bills. Increasing it is not the solution. This blasted solution has been tried before and it did not work then and is not going to work now if the electricity is not even available to fully justify the need for an increase.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by bawomolo(m): 2:52pm On Feb 15, 2008

this is stupid thinking, why not do for yourself rather than wait for a messiah. do u think malaysians, kuwaitis, japanese, chinese people were waiting for a moses?? botswana's economy is rapidly improving and no moses has come to save botswana yet. get on your feet and stop waiting for government or politicians to save u.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by teena(f): 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2008
Sweet T (m) Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity
« #8 on: Yesterday at 05:10:01 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What electicity?? You mean prize for candle don go up ??

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Feb 15, 2008
teena:

Sweet T (m) Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity
« #8 on: Yesterday at 05:10:01 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What electicity?? You mean prize for candle don go up ??

LMAO!!!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ojames1: 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2008
i pray we don't begin to pay for air as well. they recently increased tarrif and promised better service yet it grew worse, i hope we're not going to be forced to pay for another terrible service.

we need to start looking towards alternative power for our homes.

rilwan lukman doesn't know what obtains in the niger delta yet he's been so much enrished with the resources there, he has more than enough to pay while the poor are disconnected from NEPA so that he has enough for himself and his fellow "stealers"
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by obecha(f): 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2008
Its unconscionable to think that the solution to our electricity problems lies in the common man paying more.

lts just another ploy to once more worsen the economic plight of the citizenry. Its awful.

What a shame when we all know that the powerful clique in the very lucrative business of the importation of industrial diesel generators into Nigeria have taken the energy sector hostage, as they are having a field day smiling to the bank, now how would they ever sit back and allow the electricity to function maximally? So that business will nosedrive for them?!-

But there is no problem without a solution, the way forward is that energy be privatised, so that sanity can set in that sector when its stakeholders know that the only way to profit is to render diligent service to consumers.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Epiphany(m): 5:05pm On Feb 15, 2008
bawomolo:

this is stupid thinking, why not do for yourself rather than wait for a messiah. do u think malaysians, kuwaitis, japanese, chinese people were waiting for a moses?? botswana's economy is rapidly improving and no moses has come to save botswana yet. get on your feet and stop waiting for government or politicians to save u.

By 'Moses', i mean a good leader who will lead us out of this quagmire we find ourselves in. All those countries you mentioned had good leaders to lead them from where they were before to where they are now.

I doubt if the average man on the street will know how to generate electricity for himself.

EVERYTHING COMES DOWN TO THE QUALITY OF LEADERSHIP WE HAVE, WHICH IS WHAT A 'MOSES' REPRESENTS
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by LordReed(m): 6:20pm On Feb 15, 2008
I am also of the opinion that corruption is the cause. Like a hydra headed monster that when 1 head is cut several spring up in it's place, corruption has riddled the Nigerian state from hi to low dat where to thrust in and slay the monster is even now a problem.

I used think we may need a revolution a bloody one for that matter, one that will put the French one to shame but I don't think it'll work anymore cos even the man on the street now has the same trait. Elevate him to a position of authority n u'll still get the same tin.

Now I think we require a revolution of the mind. The mindset of the entire nation will have to be revolutionised. Till then we will continue to profer solutions n shout ourselves hoarse witout any visible progress: plenty of sound but no action.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by easternguy: 7:29pm On Feb 15, 2008
To me, the problem is not really paying more for electricity but getting less of the electricity paid for.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by tilewill(m): 8:52pm On Feb 15, 2008
We're actually getting to the level we need not fold hands watching these
leaders destoying us. Some of them need to be stoned to death! They're corrupt set of scoundrels; selfish, deceitful, unprincipled and unreliabled!!!! Can't they just think for
once?

We may be harmless today, but the heads of the populace 'll judge!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by SkyBlue1: 10:34pm On Feb 15, 2008
It really is so sad because selfish and greedy men profit from all the chaos in Nigeria. You think a huge ammount of money is not being made from there being no light? How many generators do you think are sold in Nigeria? Then buying diesel for it which is not made in Nigeria even though we have soo much crude oil. Like being lost at sea and dying of thirst. Do you see the pattern? People make money from chaos and it is so sad because these people are among the people we have chosen to lead us. If you want to destroy NEPA, then create competition . That is it. NEPA has complete and utter monopoly of the Nigerian population. It is so sad because that is the only reason they treat their customers like trash because we have to put up with them. You think if there was an alternative anyone would want to stay with NEPA? Then to keep customers they will have to improve their services. Let me give you another example of how greedy men profit from chaos. Port Harcourt Airport (an International airport to an important city) was closed for about 2 years. The excuse by the then governor was that it needed maintenance. Apparently it has now been reopened and there was not much visible change so what were they maintaining? The airport being closed created chaos because a lot of people needed to fly to port harcourt. Conveniently, a 'temporary' airport was opened at airforce base near the city, but since it was on airforce base it was conveniently too small for a lot of airlines to operate via it. So only two airlines could operate flights to Port Harcourt the oil city for about 2 years. That is how Arik air started, and who owns Arik air again? Wasn't their a report claiming that Arik airline belongs to Peter Odili (ex governor of rivers state)? We have no working refinery in this country, but one of our ex governors owns one in another country, so fuel can be imported. The evil that men do. Some of our politicians have found a new excuse for innaction. They make our problems seem ridiculously complicated and impossible to solve. Do we all really believe that fixing the power supply in Nigeria is that imposible? Do we really believe that curbing corruption is a ridiculous dream and that we should just accept it as part of our national life? These things can be attacked but as i said, too many greedy selfish people who are too blind to see that their selfishness is holding the nation back, profit from the chaos. When they go back to there communities after looting those same people, those same people welcome them, they get visits from all manner of chiefs and ministers (in the case of Alams even Vice President). The sad truth is that we are complaining about increase in crime in Nigeria but why won't crime increase when we are reminded each day by those in power that crime pays? The evil that men do !!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by palmwine(m): 10:59pm On Feb 15, 2008
Quote from: Kobojunkie on Yesterday at 11:46:53 PM

Can the statement above be substantiated or must people just come up with crazy statements that may just be outright lies?

@Afam

I once lived in a neighorhood with the Card Meter and a 2500 naira card takes the whole 4 flats about 6weeks to exhaust, but where I live now with the old meter we get bills of 10000 naira (average) with out any light. We should be talking of the new meter (With pay as you go card) or why was it not circulated to all? Abi you be NEPA?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 16, 2008
How amny times have they hiked the priceof uel on the basis on very flimsy excuses, what happened to all th extra money generated? "governor a" stole it to give someof it to "reps" at the end of the day we catch them for money laundering and end up spending money we dont have to "try them" no money stolen by these ever gets returned, my simple point therefore is that no matter by how much they hike prices of essential commodities in Nigeria, we will continue to have the same results until and until the leaders realise that leadership is service and not some plum job where they can continue to ask for wage increases imagine tha president recievingabout 3m when they are battling with labour over 11k minimum wage wake up nigeria, wake up!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Nobody: 10:50am On Feb 16, 2008
How amny times have they hiked the priceof uel on the basis on very flimsy excuses, what happened to all th extra money generated? "governor a" stole it  to give someof it to "reps" at the end of the day we catch them for money laundering and end up spending money we dont have to "try them" no money stolen by these ever gets returned, my simple point therefore is that no matter by how much they hike prices of essential commodities in Nigeria, we will continue to have the same results until and until the leaders realise that leadership is service and not some plum job where they can continue to ask for wage increases imagine tha president recievingabout 3m  when they are battling with labour over 11k minimum wage wake up nigeria, wake up!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Money Laundering - Will The Real Abubakar Atiku, Please Stand Up / Court Grants Ajumogobia's Request To Travel Abroad / These Photos Broke Buhari's Heart and Made Osinbajo Wept Like A Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.