Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,982 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity (6529 Views)

2015 Budget: Rich Nigerians To Pay More For Luxurious Lifestyle / FG Announces N213bn Intervention Funds For Electricity Companies / Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by charlisco(m): 1:32pm On Feb 16, 2008
while reading this topic, i jst had a power failure, ah PHCN
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Prince22(m): 2:44pm On Feb 16, 2008
Why paying more?

Nigerians in power should leave poverty the way it is not adding more to it

Everything is money. Do they know how many Tenant had become element of 'HATRED' to landlords because of PHCN/NEPA bill payment

They still want to add to people's problem?

Habba!!!! nothing works well in the hand of Nig. Leader, they only think of their immediate environment and their class of people to take decision. They don't have poor people in mind.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by delnovem(m): 4:29pm On Feb 16, 2008
an them no if they like >?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by oldie(m): 5:09pm On Feb 16, 2008
Whichever way you slice and dice it, it still remains that for electricity, the average Nigerian home pays more for it and it should not be so. There are some places where the nepa boys come to bully the people into bribing them every other month just so they can keep getting the 2 or so hours of electricity they get each day. Imagine paying Naira 1000 a week for about 7 hours of electricity each day, increase that to 24 hours output and imagine how much more the bill would be each week for that same person now paying 1000- 2000. We already pay too much in electricity bills. Increasing it is not the solution. This blasted solution has been tried before and it did not work then and is not going to work now if the electricity is not even available to fully justify the need for an increase.

@ Kobojunkie
I am sure you do not even know what the problems are
And if you do not understand the problems, how would you profer solutions?
What we are saying is, give us electricity, we are prepared to pay for our consumption!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Feb 16, 2008
oldie:

@ Kobojunkie
I am sure you do not even know what the problems are
And if you do not understand the problems, how would you profer solutions?
What we are saying is, give us electricity, we are prepared to pay for our consumption!

I have posted over and over for you to read that you should try focus more on the topic and not my person. If all you have to offer me is personal attacks on someone you have no knowledge of then you only show yourself a fool. How do you know I do not understand the problems in the country? Let me guess You are going to come back with the classic argument that I do not at present in Nigeria means I do not know even more than you do of the situation down there?? People who think that way really need to grow up and grow some brain cells. This thread is not about solutions.If you want to ask for solution, start another thread and I will refer you to many previous posts of mine that address such. Stop focusing on my person and focus more on the thread and the topic at hand.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by oldie(m): 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I have posted over and over for you to read that you should try focus more on the topic and not my person. If all you have to offer me is personal attacks on someone you have no knowledge of then you only show yourself a fool. How do you know I do not understand the problems in the country? Let me guess You are going to come back with the classic argument that I do not at present in Nigeria means I do not know even more than you do of the situation down there?? People who think that way really need to grow up and grow some brain cells. This thread is not about solutions.If you want to ask for solution, start another thread and I will refer you to many previous posts of mine that address such. Stop focusing on my person and focus more on the thread and the topic at hand.

Your person is not important to me and I do not care!
I respond to your posts based on the wrong premises you base your arguments
I do not want any slagging match with you. Because it isn't worth it
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Feb 16, 2008
oldie:

Your person is not important to me and I do not care!
I respond to your posts based on the wrong premises you base your arguments
I do not want any slagging match with you. Because it isn't worth it

Now explain how your reply to my post addresses my actual post there. What in my post did you find to be the "wrong premise" ?? Or does just saying it is wrong means it is wrong even if you do not point out what exactly you think is wrong??
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by popsonj(m): 6:31pm On Feb 16, 2008
YOU GUYS SHOULD PLEASE KEEP THIS FORUM BEEF-FREE
AND LET'S NOT ALWAYS DEVIATE FROM THE MAIN DISCUSSION
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Prince22(m): 6:47pm On Feb 16, 2008
popsonj

Thanks for this cautioning!!!

May be they did not go thru. the rule of this site
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by cauchy(m): 8:10pm On Feb 16, 2008
that is a vry gud topic to discuss, to may own surjection let them give us electricity free or we pay only when we are supplyed by efficiant power,or thank for the read meter, lastly we have to be patient for a while.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by tilewill(m): 8:42pm On Feb 16, 2008
What does it profit us in tuning this site to some kind of battle zones?
l think, what we're sharing here should be something to give lights to
our cloudy state of minds. We have experienced a lot of bitterness and
agony from this rogues, l mean, that's where our minds should be at focus;
then, how do we create every possible room for liberation should be another
priority! We have suffered and highly opressed from these leaders, and if
we aren't careful, this 'll streached from generation to generation. Does it mean
this has to continue this way?  their acts and partly ours had nega
tively bent us in the eyes of the world to the extent that anywhere you find yourself
as a Nigerian, no sense of security. With the level we're blessed in  country,
does any Nigerian require woshiping any "fukin oyinbo man" for peanuts? Yeah, that's some
of the results of  bad leadership that'd refused to vanish in our dear country.

Dear brothers and sister, we're all indeed a solders! we have our rights and dignity
to fight for, which by far supasses the beef and embarassment that evades.
So, let's maintain this site clean and worthy.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by mazia(m): 2:51am On Feb 17, 2008
Fellow Nigerians,

Do you think the federal government opposes projects that have been aimed at providing reliable electricity for private companies besides the privatization issue?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by PurestBoy(m): 8:16pm On Feb 17, 2008
tilewill:

What does it profit us in tuning this site to some kind of battle zones?
l think, what we're sharing here should be something to give lights to
our cloudy state of minds. We have experienced a lot of bitterness and
agony from this rogues, l mean, that's where our minds should be at focus;
then, how do we create every possible room for liberation should be another
priority! We have suffered and highly opressed from these leaders, and if
we aren't careful, this 'll streached from generation to generation. Does it mean
this has to continue this way? their acts and partly ours had nega
tively bent us in the eyes of the world to the extent that anywhere you find yourself
as a Nigerian, no sense of security. With the level we're blessed in country,
does any Nigerian require woshiping any "fukin oyinbo man" for peanuts? Yeah, that's some
of the results of bad leadership that'd refused to vanish in our dear country.

Dear brothers and sister, we're all indeed a solders! we have our rights and dignity
to fight for, which by far supasses the beef and embarassment that evades.
So, let's maintain this site clean and worthy.

Chaii! God bless you for you post. Please leave those animals to be insulting each other instead of proffering a solution to the problems we have in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 8:18pm On Feb 17, 2008
mazia:

Fellow Nigerians,

Do you think the federal government opposes projects that have been aimed at providing reliable electricity for private companies besides the privatization issue?

I do not believe this is a new. I believe governments in the past have done that and still do that to this day so they can make money selling generators and what nots to the people. Problem still remains, do the people really want change or do they just want to continue whining and complaining and expecting magic to happen over night for them??
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by 4Play(m): 8:55pm On Feb 17, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I do not believe this is a new. I believe governments in the past have done that and still do that to this day so they can [b]make money selling generators [/b]and what nots to the people. Problem still remains, do the people really want change or do they just want to continue whining and complaining and expecting magic to happen over night for them??

I don't believe the Govt makes money selling generators.I do believe that their resistance to root-and-branch reforms is on the basis of the entrenched profiteering interests that come with keeping major public utilities in the hands of the Govt.

Where you have govt run utilities,you have big budgets and big contracts.They don't want to give this up by letting the private sector take over.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by SkyBlue1: 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2008
The 'government' might not make money from there being no light (eg selling generators, etc), but certain individuals do because there is a lot of money to be made. And quite a good number of these people are in government. Rivers State government did not make money from Port Harcourt Airport being closed but a certain individual did and he was part of the government. Does it really matter?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 4:32am On Feb 18, 2008
My post was not actually to say that GOVERNMENT itself made money from selling generators directly but that many of those in the business who make profit from the situation are also government officials. So we have people who by day make decisions to block the path for potential fixes to the main problem so they can by night profit from the problem as much as they can.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Prince22(m): 6:40am On Feb 18, 2008
Purestboy,
Chaii! God bless you for you post. Please leave those animals to be insulting each other instead of proffering a solution to the problems we have in Nigeria.

Ur name sound nice but ur written was odd, who are the animal u're referring to,

Talk to Nig. leaders in power to consider Masses.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by dukefama: 12:21pm On Feb 18, 2008
NEPA is the biggest fraud in Nigeria. First they Rob us for no Electricy and the payments we make monthly and secondly federal government is pumping money in there too.

GOD WILL PUNISH ALL THOSE WHO MAKE NIGERIANS CRY. AMEN!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Prince22(m): 1:35pm On Feb 18, 2008
ukefama

AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by angel101(f): 2:43pm On Feb 18, 2008
dont we already pay more? seeing as we dont get the service no matter what we pay.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by PurestBoy(m): 2:49pm On Feb 18, 2008
Prince22:

Purestboy,

your name sound nice but your written was odd, who are the animal u're referring to,

Talk to Nig. leaders in power to consider Masses.

Are you part of the animals that had turned this educative forum to a battlefield?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 18, 2008
some people cannot have a good conversation until they have engaged in verbal battle. and such people will always find their kinsmen wherever they go. leave them, they'll soon drop the bone.

electricity is a mess. we talk so much about economic growth, but we'll never know what economic growth is like until we solve this electricity problem.i believe that once we can find someone dogged enough to actually do something about it, only then will we feel the impact of a 3% or 10% economic growth rate as individuals. because the extra value that comes from having these things in place will be very visible to you and I.

i pray God sends NEPA's own Dora Akunyili. or Okonjo Iweala
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Prince22(m): 3:55pm On Feb 18, 2008
PurestBoy!!!!

Are you part of the animals that had turned this educative forum to a battlefield?

Habba, You don't need to personalize, we're all sharing ideas and this is a good trend for we don't know who is picking the truth that might directly involved in the discussion.

No Vessoooooooooooo. My dear smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by londoner: 7:18pm On Feb 18, 2008
I think its a bit cheeky to suggest Nigerians pay more for a service which isn't even being provided. On the other hand, having just returned from Naija and spoken to people, its clear that although they want the trappings of a democratic and developed country, they are unwilling the behave like responsible citizens.

The truth is, many Nigerians would rather bribe the NEPA electrician than pay a regular electricity bill, EVEN IF IT BECAME CONSTANT. I'm sorry, but thats the truth, the mentality of the people from top to bottom, is not towards what should be happening, but what they can manage to craftily get away with.

This is a country where tenants will refuse to pay rent for upwards of three years and the government will refuse to pay pensions after years of faithful service. The article makes a good point, we are used to pointing out the flaws of the governement, yet we fail to realise that many nigerians dont know the first thing about being a citizen.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by 4Play(m): 7:29pm On Feb 18, 2008
The problem is one of those catch-22 situations.You can't increase prices with the appalling power supply situation but you can't solve the power problems without increasing prices.

The way to go is through deregulation and privatisation,however,the private sector will only invest if they are assured of a return on their investment thus the argument for increasing prices.

On the other hand,asking Nigerians to pay more for electricity at the moment sounds like "overkill."

The solution? This goes against my fundamental principles but I would recommend subsidies,political pragmatism sometimes outweighs economic logic.Lets have a temporary window within which the Govt guarantees to meet the market costs for residential consumers until significant improvements have been made to the power supply situation following which the consumer is gradually made to bear the full costs.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by chikibaybi(f): 10:38pm On Feb 18, 2008
Instead of spending so much of money on electricity? why not go solar? am good at that, cos no be only one gate enter market, inverters are also another option. just holler at me at christabelle08@yahoo.com and you are on your way to enjoying light 24/7
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by tipsy289(m): 6:19am On Feb 19, 2008
The govt think they are smart.Pay more for what?interupted power supply.
Pay more or less,its the same situstion.Its those ones who are stealing the money that is causing this situation.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2008
4 Play:

The problem is one of those catch-22 situations.You can't increase prices with the appalling power supply situation but you can't solve the power problems without increasing prices.
The way to go is through deregulation and privatisation,however,the private sector will only invest if they are assured of a return on their investment thus the argument for increasing prices.

On the other hand,asking Nigerians to pay more for electricity at the moment sounds like "overkill."

The solution? This goes against my fundamental principles but I would recommend subsidies,political pragmatism sometimes outweighs economic logic.Lets have a temporary window within which the Govt guarantees to meet the market costs for residential consumers until significant improvements have been made to the power supply situation following which the consumer is gradually made to bear the full costs.

What catch 22 did you create here
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ufofex(m): 9:59pm On Feb 19, 2008
They have started again! Anytime they want to tell us not to expect power(electricty) for as long as their tenure lasts, they will play thesame song of: it took 2 decades and more for the system to get this bad, so don't expect us to get it done overnight. What a crap!!!

T'was thesame song the OBJ administration sang, and for eight years they kept remixing the song, giving us various versions. At the end they plunged funds into only God knows where, and here we are, worse off than eight years ago.

Now Lukman want us to pay more.
More for what?
More for what we don't use?
Is he trying to negotiate for an increase in the price of a commodity he doesn't have? Arrant nonsense!!!!! angry

Or maybe he is telling us we will be paying more to run our generators as usual.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Sabisabi: 11:07pm On Feb 19, 2008
Its good thing they are doing. Eletric is too cheap here for naija and yet people dey complain say e dey expensive. Una no wan pay tax or any thing haba.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 11:28pm On Feb 19, 2008
Sabisabi:

Its good thing they are doing. Eletric is too cheap here for naija and yet people dey complain say e dey expensive. Una no wan pay tax or any thing haba.

How much is too cheap ?? @SabiSabi. How much do you pay for 24/7 electricity in Nigeria now?? I pay about Naira 5500 a month for uninterrupted electricity 24 hours of the day, seven days a week and this is a house hold of 5 people. The Television is on at least 16 hours a day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strange: Nigerian Couple In Uk Give Birth To A White Baby / Bamanga Tukur To Stand Surety For His Son / Over 100 Biafra Separatists Arrested In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.