Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,043 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity (6522 Views)

2015 Budget: Rich Nigerians To Pay More For Luxurious Lifestyle / FG Announces N213bn Intervention Funds For Electricity Companies / Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by palmwine(m): 3:11pm On Feb 12, 2008
Former OPEC President,Dr. Rilwanu Lukman, has said that Nigerians may have to pay more for electricity if the current energy reform is to bear meaningful results. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that Lukeman made this known while speaking at a convocation lecture of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, on Saturday.

In the lecture titled: “Confronting Nigeria’s Energy Challenge: The imperative of immediate reforms’’, Lukman said that the crisis in the power sector in Nigeria accumulated over two decades. “It is not realistic therefore to expect this crisis to be solved overnight. “In addition, we need to acknowledge that the power supply problem is a moving target, there can not be a once and for all solution”, he said.

The honorary Strategic Adviser to the President on energy said that South Africa, which had surplus power capacity a few years ago, now experiences problem.

“Countries must therefore continuously strive to upgrade capacity, improve infrastructure and boost investments in the sector’’, Lukman stressed. The former OPEC chief noted that Nigeria’s power crisis could not be resolved by government alone, adding that the private sector must be encouraged to invest heavily on electricity supply in the country.

MY QUESTION IS ALL THE ISSUES RAISE ABOVE, IS IT THE FAULT OF THE ORDINARY MAN?

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/10022008/news/news4.html
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Kobojunkie: 10:59pm On Feb 13, 2008
Pay more for electricity they now pay for but hardly get 2 hours of daily LMAO!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by doyin13(m): 2:05am On Feb 14, 2008
the next time someone says, our problem materialised over decades, and it will not be solved overnight. . .i will hit them upside the head.

even power systems that have been destroyed in wars have taken less than two years to reconstruct. . .

bloody nincompoops angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by 4Play(m): 2:33pm On Feb 14, 2008
Once the power situation has been dramatically improved,with electricity supply being close to regular,we can then talk about consumers paying more.

Even Iraq has managed to improve its power supply the invasion to a level that will put Nigeria to shame.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Backslider(m): 3:19pm On Feb 14, 2008
Please all of you that have posted which of you will come to nigeria and provide electricity so that people in Nigerian can buy cheap.

Talk is the cheapest commodity common sense is however very expensive.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Blatant: 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2008
Backslider:

Please all of you that have posted which of you will come to nigeria and provide electricity so that people in Nigerian can buy cheap.

Talk is the cheapest commodity common sense is however very expensive.

Perhaps if Nigerians decide to support only what is right and constantly condemn what is wrong, even if it was going to benefit them materially MAYBE Nigerian will be provided with decent electricity at a good cost
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by bawomolo(m): 4:45pm On Feb 14, 2008
Once the power situation has been dramatically improved,with electricity supply being close to regular,we can then talk about consumers paying more.

Even Iraq has managed to improve its power supply the invasion to a level that will put Nigeria to shame.

let's stop comparing the efficiency of the US army engineering corp and haliburton to that of the Nigerian government. energy must be privatized in nigeria.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ojimboIV: 4:53pm On Feb 14, 2008
I can't disagree any less with dr. lukman's lecture.
the crisis in the power sector in Nigeria accumulated over two decades. “It is not realistic therefore to expect this crisis to be solved overnight. “In addition, we need to acknowledge that the power supply problem is a moving target.
the problem definitely snowballed over time, and the pathetic politicians couldn't deal with it. makes me wonder if we really have 'politicians', 'leaders' and 'people with passion' in nigeria. politicians are meant to 'talk' as well as 'motivate'  their subjects to 'change' things for the better, but i'm afraid a major fraction of the current set of people in power are not capable of delivering what it takes. 'the problem was due to the fact that previous administrations did not do anything about it'. for goodness sake. s. covey classifies 'blame trading' as a quality of an ineffective person, and i'm afraid this has been the order of the day in nigerian politics. until this present crop of politicians are phased out ([s]esp. those in the fec, dilly-dallying like mohawks gone completely wrong[/s]), the status quo will not change and we will still be in the same gutter.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by SweetT1: 5:10pm On Feb 14, 2008
What electicity?? You mean prize for candle don go up ??
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by edatika(m): 5:20pm On Feb 14, 2008
God help us
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by amigoes(m): 5:38pm On Feb 14, 2008
Nigeria we hail thee!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by amigoes(m): 5:40pm On Feb 14, 2008
One day one day,
one day e go better, !?$%&*
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Frando29(m): 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2008
Lord have mercy on whoever it is that will climb my electric pole to disconnect my light by the time they hike electric bills.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by amigoes(m): 5:55pm On Feb 14, 2008
hear them,
", South Africa,which had surplus power capacity a few years ago now experiences problem, "

How come these people can't have a better example, Ghana celebrated full year of uninterrupted power supply sometimes ago, our leaders cannot strive towards such lofty goal,

, countries must therefore continously strive to upgrade capacity,improve infrastructure, blah, blah , blah, like OBJ did in his 8yrs reign.

The point is increasing bills cant solve Nigerias problem. It is rooted in corruption and it is endemic!
Solve the problem of corruption in this nation and I'm telling you over 70% of our problems are gone!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ojimboIV: 6:12pm On Feb 14, 2008
incompetence! what is the point of celebrating sustenance in democracy when the state of the ordinary man is deteriorating daily. time and again people have complained bitterly about the most basic of problems. i shared in dozie nwanna's embarrassment just d other day on the developing megaslums in lagos and other cities in nigeria. until it occurs to our leaders that the difficulty faced by the least citizen is also their problem, then i'm afraid we are still going plunge further deep into this stinking gutter.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by dee02(m): 6:24pm On Feb 14, 2008
pay more for a non-existent amenity
fu*king having a laugh!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Seun(m): 6:48pm On Feb 14, 2008
If the money is going to be used the right way - to build up our power infrastructure - then why not?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by grabdbull: 6:53pm On Feb 14, 2008
Even if we pay more for electricity, let it be available first, and secondly, it's about time PHCN stopped this estimate billing. Either they come and read the damn meter or they give us pre-paid meters.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 14, 2008
all those billions being investigated were also supposed to be used the right way - i doubt if thi price hike will be any different.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by otokx(m): 7:01pm On Feb 14, 2008
Pay more for more darkness Its amazing when people who ought to know better start talking a whole load of rubbish. Lebanon when they were at war had constant electricity, Darfur, Iraq, Chad all have constant electricity yet our leaders still talk rubbish.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by uche1(m): 7:05pm On Feb 14, 2008
We don't mind to pay more, if we are going to see the lite to use, shocked I dom talk my won
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by zheroes(m): 7:08pm On Feb 14, 2008
uche1:

We don't mind to pay more, if we are going to see the lite to use, shocked I dom talk my won
otokx:

Pay more for more darkness Its amazing when people who ought to know better start talking a whole load of rubbish. Lebanon when they were at war had constant electricity, Darfur, Iraq, Chad all have constant electricity yet our leaders still talk rubbish.

i dey wonder!! let us see the electricity first before issue of price becomes something to deliberate over, why put the cart before the horse
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by 4Play(m): 7:29pm On Feb 14, 2008
Seun:

If the money is going to be used the right way - to build up our power infrastructure - then why not?

The great thing about speaking hypothetically is that you can rationalise every potential scenario:If corruption was non-existent in Nigeria,we would be able to trust politicians-if Govt enterprises were optimally run,there would be no need for privatisation,e.t.c

Reality is much different,moreso in Nigeria.When was money ever used the right way in Nigeria by the Govt? Unless and until the reforms have run its course-including full scale privatisation and deregulation-handing any money to Govt run enterprises will surely lead to waste.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ALERTEFCC(f): 8:07pm On Feb 14, 2008
na today, make i hear word, una better leave matter for mathias
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by palmwine(m): 8:45pm On Feb 14, 2008
some of us talk of privatisation, NITEL was PRIVATISED or have u forgotten TRANSCORP?, some part of aso-rock was privatised too, we hear of lands in Abuja and other corporation privatised among the privilege few? Please don't even suggest privatisation in Nigerian context. Privatise NEPA sorry PHCN and the stone age will be paradise. Go and ask NITEL.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by bawomolo(m): 8:50pm On Feb 14, 2008
by privatization, no one is talking about just selling the company. we are talking about allow private energy companies to compete for contracts among each other. the energy industry shouldn't be monopolized by one company(NEPA or PHCN). deregulate the power industry and force private companies to compete for market share.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by ernal(m): 9:07pm On Feb 14, 2008
truly ttruly i say unto thy,i have my electricity disconnected yesterday cos Nepa saw it was a new house and they believe say na their main target,however notin like electronics yet in this house,was at their office today and you need to see the organisation,People way dey nepa No ready work shishi,na daily money them want,make dem cut ur lite,make dem colelct money reconnect for you,its goes to their own pocket,so unless we wipe away the whole flawed process,truly truly we sha no no light 24hrs till 3020.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by pahtahkee: 9:22pm On Feb 14, 2008
The syndrome of the rich are getting richer while the poor will continue to get poorer!
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Builder: 9:24pm On Feb 14, 2008
Whatever happens to all the $10b obasanjo used to restore Electricity. dont tell me he used it to buy condoms for yanch his son's wife?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Builder: 9:30pm On Feb 14, 2008
Not too long ago, we heard that Ms. Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, Obasanjo’s first(?) daughter, and her Austrian friends were given contracts to build power plants, even when it was clear they had no previous experience in that sector. Well, as everyone now knows, the whole thing ended so sordidly, with each party in the grand perfidy against the nation, spilling the bin against the other, with Nigeria, of course, being the ultimate loser. Who cares? Why are these people always treating their fellow citizens like lesser beings, just because they are in power? Why
What a sad country ruled by criminals, crooks and no-brainers ,
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by mcdaniel: 9:43pm On Feb 14, 2008
Hahah.

Guy you dey talk oooooo. how could you say such a thing on this webpage dont allow peopel of Obj handle you badly,

ALL I KNOW IS THAT IT IS TOO BAD FOR YOU TO TALK ABOUT YOUR EX-PRESIDENT LIKE THAT ON NET WHAT IF SOME ONE ELSE SEES IT? YOU WANT THEN TO STOP US FROM BROWSING i DONT WELCOME THAT YOUR TOPIC ooo. THANK YOU. THEN ONE ABOUT OBJ AND HIS SONS WIFE IS REALL THEY ARE IN CURT NOW.

FOR THE PROJECT GIVEN TO OBJ LAST YEAR 2007 ABOUT OUR ELECTRICITY HE USELESS THE CASH ON FOLLOWING MARREID WOMEN. PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO TELL HIM TO BE CEARFUL, TKIA
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity by Sentra: 9:47pm On Feb 14, 2008
The Nigerian government has stretched the resources of both the middle and lower class too thin to the extent that it is practically impossible to survive in the land that flows with milk and honey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Abuse Of Honourary Degrees / What Are The Lessons Learnt/benefits Earned From The Suspended Nationwide Strike/protests? / Please What Is Biafras Most Integral Symbol Doing In Ogoni Coat Of Arms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.